Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

[PGT] Canucks @ Flames

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
321 replies to this topic

#301 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,599 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

Honestly I watched Cam Barker like a hawk tonight and he was awful. Caught in no man's land 4 times tonight, just watching the puck. Nearly got dangled (thank goodness Lu actually used his stick to poke the puck away) and nearly scored on his own net doing the Edler (standing 5 feet in front of your goaltender hoping the puck hits you). Thank goodness that one went off the base of the net. His offensive game was good though.

He was like a cheaper version of Edler!

I didn't see that at all. I saw a guy who hasn't played in a long long time, who's decision making timing was off. I thought he played very well, all things considered. I was pleasantly surprised at his poise and skill with the puck and loved that he shot every chance that he got. The defensive side of the game will come.........not sure Edler is the best partner for him though. I want to see more of him

#302 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

Because Schneider is already an established elite goalie in this league? You are laughable. Schneid's hasn't even played 1 season in entirety as a number 1! Just like Schneider backed up Lu same thing we do with Lack. And as I said Lack is young and has potential, something Schneider was a few years ago and still is.

Go get another tat and stick to mma...you know squat about goaltending...and less about hockey !

#303 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,395 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Nothing like a sense of injustice to drag a group of guys together and boost morale.

Like the hits on Seabrook and Horton in our 2011 Cup run.

Yep because that vicious elbow to Daniel last year sure got this team fired up as a rallying point in the playoffs.......no one even cared enough to respond on the ice let alone use it as anything other than an excuse why they lost to LA.

Maybe AV now knows how Ballard feels getting the short end of the stick for no reason at all.......

#304 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

Other coaches yell yes,but there are some things you cannot say to a ref or you will get a penalty.Sestito is a free swinger that goes for the win not a hugger which I like but having said that you have to live with the fact it's high risk and he will lose some and fall down a lot.Kassian fights like that too.I thought Luongo played solid but that the whiffed goal did have a big hand in the eventual outcome.

#305 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,395 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

Barker was pretty bad defensively but got the puck to the net which was encouraging. I think he could be way more physical though. He and Ballard could actually be a decent 3rd pairing.

#306 Gustavo Fring

Gustavo Fring

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

Have to say luongo was outplayed by a 3rd string goalie. No excuse for that weak first goal.

Also the canucks should prepare every game like the refs are out to get them. Work on the pk and such. This is good practice because the refs in the league have lost respect for the canucks and it won't get any better in the playoffs.
Posted Image

#307 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

Anyone notice Barker in this game? I thought he was pretty good out there, he kept firing pucks on net and with that he created a lot of scoring chances with rebounds. Hope he gets the nod on Tuesday too. Take Alberts out and put in Ballard as well. Walking pylon

I thought he was good as well, some posters said awful but I think their Ballard bias is doing the talking. He was great in offensive zone, I love how he takes a mini side step and gets the puck to the net so easily with a wrist shot. Given that was his first game I'm sure he will only get better.

I also thought sestito had a good game. Held his own against arguably the toughest heavyweight in the league and kept chirping him later. The 4th line had some good cycles in the offensive zone.

Kassian's best game in a while too. He didnt look as lost as he has in the previous 5 or 6.

Reffing was bad but it's not just us getting the shaft, it's been happening all over the league. It does seem like they have something against us though.

#308 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

There's no question it was a terrible call. And not a penalty according to the rules. Even if the score was 10-0. Let alone a tie game in the 3rd.

But the refs will make the discretionary call against those whom they perceive as disrespectful. And it's pretty evident the Canucks as a team have built up that reputation. Unfortunately there's not much they can do other than be aware that the refs see them in a certain light. It's not fair. But it's also not a surprise nor is a new obstacle.

-----------

Rule 39 - Abuse of Officials

39.1 General Description –A player, goalkeeper, Coach or non-playing person shall not challenge or dispute the rulings of an official before, during or after a game. A player, goalkeeper, Coach or non-playing person shall not display unsportsmanlike conduct including, but not limited to, obscene, profane or abusive language or gestures, comments of a personal nature intended to degrade an official, or persist in disputing a ruling after being told to stop or after being penalized for such behavior.

--------

39.3 Bench Minor Penalty - A bench minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be assessed under this rule for the following infractions:

(i) Any Coach or non-playing personwho bangs the boards with a stick or other object at any time, showing disrespect for an official’s decision. If this is done in order to get the attention of the on-ice officials for a legitimate reason (i.e. serious injury, illness, etc.), then discretion must be exercised by the Referees.
(ii) Any unidentifiable player or goalkeeper, or any Coach or non-playing person whouses obscene, profane or abusive language or gesture directed at an on or off-ice official or uses the name of any official coupled with any vociferous remarks. (see also 39.5 (ii))
(i) Any player, Coach, or non-playing personinterferes in any manner with any game official including the Referees, Linesmen, Game or Penalty Timekeepers or Goal Judges in the performance of their duties.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#309 M A K A V E L I 96

M A K A V E L I 96

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

To be fair, it sounds like he said "That's an elbow! It's a [bleep]in' elbow!" to me.

Even still, it's not as if that kind of language isn't thrown around 100 times a night.

He said he didn't say the F word. Maybe he said "friggin", but that was an unnecessary call no matter who you slice it.

Hartley was yelling at the refs after the Flames got an interference penalty in the 1st and he went on and on for a good 30 seconds and you could obviously make out multiple times when he swore.

Edited by M A K A V E L I 96, 04 March 2013 - 11:30 AM.

Posted Image

#310 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

The time of the call is the problem. The only player out played that game was Luo. The Calgary goalie did get lucky. That last chance by Daniel would have gone in 999 times out of a 1000 most nights. The actual team effort and play against Calgary was an improvement compare to most their losses this year. This is one they deserved to win.

It come down to two things :
1) Terrible call by a selfish ref at possible one of the worst times of the game to call a penalty. Mcgrattan had three missed calls on one shift that would have been call by most refs on any night.

2) Lou let in one of the worst goals of the year for any goalie this year and got unlucky on one. The other goal was savable if Luo was on his game. Did the D play good infront of him; they played good enough to win the game. Yes Luo made a coulpe nice saves, but overall was terrible.

I will also say, although minor, the whole flight thing does play into their energy levels regradless of how much people what to down play it. Their whole recovery and pre game process is effected; different time getting to sleep and getting less sleep does effect your performance and they still out played Calgary.
They were robed of the win, where in other games they were lucky to win and thats the NHL.

#311 snolan

snolan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Man that was ugly, the Calgary goalie wasn't very good and we couldn't capitalize.

The GWG is basically all on Lappy he had a chance to tip the puck out but was caught off guard and tried to control it in a way he'd get a breakaway with it instead of just getting it out.

They get a bit of a gimme this game because they flew in two hours before but this team just seems completely unmotivated this year - there is no way a good team should be losing to the flames who are playing their 4th string goalie.

CMON GUYS HAVE SOME FAITH! WE ARE GOING TO WIN. ANYONE CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT IF THEY WANT. YOULL SEE

-- 1st Period of Game 2 VS the Kings, 2012 Series

#312 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

Man that was ugly, the Calgary goalie wasn't very good and we couldn't capitalize.

The GWG is basically all on Lappy he had a chance to tip the puck out but was caught off guard and tried to control it in a way he'd get a breakaway with it instead of just getting it out.

They get a bit of a gimme this game because they flew in two hours before but this team just seems completely unmotivated this year - there is no way a good team should be losing to the flames who are playing their 4th string goalie.

That goalie out played Luo.

#313 snolan

snolan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

That goalie out played Luo.

Not going to argue that, but he didn't look good in doing so. Nearly every shot was kicked directly out into the slot/fumbled around the net - there were so many juicy rebounds.

CMON GUYS HAVE SOME FAITH! WE ARE GOING TO WIN. ANYONE CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT IF THEY WANT. YOULL SEE

#314 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

Not going to argue that, but he didn't look good in doing so. Nearly every shot was kicked directly out into the slot/fumbled around the net - there were so many juicy rebounds.

Thats why hockey is called a game of bounces and inches, they did not go the Canucks way this game. Some may say they have to fight to get those bounces, but 80% of the time its luck.

Edited by Vancanwincup, 04 March 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#315 snolan

snolan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

Thats why hockey is called a game of bounces and inches, they did not go the Canucks way this game. Some may say he have to fight to get those bounces, but 80% of the time its luck.

80% of the time.. hockey is luck...... I don't even know what to say to that.

#316 apollo

apollo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,354 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

Hmmm no one is talking about the golden Chanel Daniel missed in the dying moments of the game. I think j Bo got his stick to block the shot
2cz94w5.jpg<
The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books.
THE CANUCKS ARE THE SINGLE, GREATEST SPORTS FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME. GO CANUCKS GO

#317 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

Coincidence that Kassian got lots of ice time and he played well?

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#318 JPizzle

JPizzle

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

canuck need hero russian to lift team. luongo and first for kovalev and canuck win cup

heathy scratch 7 games in a row ???
get real

#319 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

Coincidence that Kassian got lots of ice time and he played well?

I think it was because he was playing well that he got more ice time. Most games he has not played well so he didn't get ice time. It's called earning your ice time. Kass is one of the few players that I think AV is coaching well and it's to his benefit that he has to earn his ice time. Ballard is a another story!!!!! Fire the coach!!!

#320 ~AngelBelle~

~AngelBelle~

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

Stop blaming the Refs guys. It's their own fault, stop playing like losers. They go out their play a partial game. Hardest worker? Yet again, Hansen.

That entire line is pretty solid.

#321 Ginu

Ginu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

I think the officiating is plain awful and not just for Canucks... its happening all around the league and nobody seems to say anything; something really needs to be done here.... the GM's should really combine and get to Shanny on these issues since its killing the game. This cant even be blamed on the so called "human error"... just plain stubbornness and stupidity from the officiating staff.

Giving out a penalty like this for such minuscule thing when the game is a tie with 10 min left is plain awful... I think refs should be on a pedestal after games and NHL should take accountability for their employees.
Posted Image

#322 deized_kanuck604

deized_kanuck604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

Neat
Posted Image

a true faN.
!kilLuminati!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.