Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Toddler Cured of HIV

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

Absolutely amazing. Can't wait to see what this will lead too.

http://www.cnn.com/2...ured/index.html
Posted Image

#2 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

With all the crazy stuff going on in the world, this is very awesome news.

#3 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,418 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

Awesome news.

Cancer you're next.

Edited by Armada, 04 March 2013 - 12:04 AM.

1314_IProvo_1680x1050.jpg

#4 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

A baby step towards a cure for HIV/AIDS.

#5 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,572 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

That's fantastic. Definitely something to build on. And a big day for HIV positive couples who hope to be parents. It's becoming more and more possible for them to have kids and not risk passing on the virus to the fetus.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#6 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:07 AM

Science. It works.

Posted Image

#7 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,929 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

Science. It works.

Really? I could have sworn praying cured these things.
Posted Image

#8 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

its the age of Aquarius

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#9 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • 25,065 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:39 AM

Amazing, millions of people will be cured

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,677 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:51 AM

Really? I could have sworn praying cured these things.

So can we freely cross the line now?

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#11 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

Amazing, millions of people will be cured

No...you should read the article.

The baby was cured with treatments of the exact same drugs they currently use to treat HIV. They think that because the baby's HIV had not yet formed a resevoir in the body, it resulted in a cure.

Hate to be a debbie downer, but this is not a cure for people who have HIV. More of a one off.

#12 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

The baby was cured with treatments of the exact same drugs they currently use to treat HIV. They think that because the baby's HIV had not yet formed a resevoir in the body, it resulted in a cure.

Hate to be a debbie downer, but this is not a cure for people who have HIV. More of a one off.

Yah but babies born within similar circumstances also stand a good chance of being cured with the same medical regime.
Posted Image

#13 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 35,945 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

Vaccine?

Nah, let's just stick with expensive treatments.

suffer.gif

#14 Hossa-Demitra-Gaborik

Hossa-Demitra-Gaborik

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

I have to agree, I got excited as well but my brother gave me some background since it's his related field.
If you read the article, only one other person has supposedly cured from HIV. My brother talked about that because he remembers that story quite well, that person underwent multiple bone marrow transplants and other treatments with this same medical cocktail. HIV has been absent for some time in that person. That person also has life threatning effects as a result.

My brother went on to say it goes case by case, that these drug cocktails do not necessarily provide the same effect to each patient. The drug cocktail eventually leaves HIV in the bone marrow only if effective or something along those lines. In the infant, drug cocktails can be administered before developing in the marrow (this is just my guess now) which can avoid transplants.
However, being provided to an infant certainly have negative effects on bodily organs. It will damage development in the child. He mentioned that the possibility from death by administering this drug cocktail to an infant is quite high as well. But, as people can say that the child would likely develop aids or other complications as a result to the HIV anyway.
I have mixed feelings about it after he told me that. It is definetely a step forward though.
Posted Image
Posted Image
RIP Pavol

#15 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,602 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

After reading more about this baby, I think "cured" might not be totally accurate. The baby is now testing negative for HIV but doctors can't say for sure that it won't return. Is there such a thing as remission for HIV? Looks like this baby might give us an answer.

HpkJUPw.jpg

Credit to KingAlex for the sig. R.I.P.

#16 mcgillnuck

mcgillnuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

Vaccine?

Developing an HIV vaccine is much tougher than it sounds. It mutates like crazy under pressure, and for such a simple virus there is a good degree of variation between isolates. When AIDs first broke out of the gay community and started becoming a pandemic and people started panicking, a prof of mine at McGill was tapped to go work in some secret American lab with some other high profile researchers to develop a vaccine. According to him they were given an unlimited budget and whatever they needed, but they couldn't get anywhere. He told our class that he was almost certain there would never be an HIV vaccine. Now, I also had a physics prof tell me that we'd never have 3D screens without the need for glasses, and then a few years later Nintendo solved that problem. So I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying that there's a reason why antiretroviral therapy is the standard right now, and it's not necessarily big pharma greed.

Edited by mcgillnuck, 04 March 2013 - 10:22 PM.

Props to canuckbuddy for the sig

#17 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

Vaccine?

You do realize that there isn't a cure for HIV/AIDS? When the actual virus gets into your T cells (lymphocytes involved with the immune response) the HIV virus actually modifies the genome of it and inserts it's own HIV DNA. That's why when HIV patients get sick due to infection, it actually produces more HIV. Truly an amazing example of an almost "perfect" virus.

Basicly, theres not many ways you can "cure" it. You can either wipe out every lympocyte in your body (which is super difficult and not very pleasant to the patient), stop the HIV from entering the cells initially... or just suppress it for long periods (anti-retrovirals).

Edited by Hyzer, 04 March 2013 - 10:37 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.