The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When is it time to panic? Canucks are 3-5-1 in last 9 games

DonaldBrashear

It's definitely not panic time, but i don't feel like this current team will make much noise in the playoffs. Short of a big trade to bolster the team, the only hope I have for them in the playoffs is if they have this extra gear that none of us have seen yet.

I fail to see why panic is even being contemplated at this stage. We're not even half way through this season and still iin playoff position. I seem to recall that last year we won the President's trophy but were bounced in 5 games by a team that just managed to get into 8th place in the West. LA underperformed last year until the ideal time and surged at the perfect time and had no long term injury issues. I would rather just struggle in the regular season and surge in the playoffs than what we did last year. Mike Gillis was spot on when he said on After Hours that we Canuck Fans have had a lot to cheer about in the last five years and I for one have been. I continue to hope for a Stanley Cup victory but in the meantime I'm going to enjoy watching hockey, celebrate the wins and regret the losses. Panic, no way?!

Canucks 3-5-1 in past 9 games. Time to panic?

The Canucks are now 3-5-1 over their past 9 games. This has caused them to drop from having a secure hold on the division title and almost a sure spot on the playoffs, to being in jeopardy of being in 9th or 10th place in the conference and missing the playoffs. I've seen this story before. For those who take our playoff berths as granted, let me assure you that nothing is written in stone. We've missed the playoffs twice since the dreaded Mark Messier years, and we could miss them again.

At what point is it time to panic? And let me define some examples of panic:

- Making a big trade

- Firing AV or MG

- AV calling the team out publicly

- Dissention in the locker room

Yes we are 11-6-4 but please take into consideration all 4 of those OTLs are in the shootout, if this was playoff hockey and we got 20minutes of overtime the outcome could have been very different for all those games.

I fail to see why panic is even being contemplated at this stage. We're not even half way through this season and still iin playoff position. I seem to recall that last year we won the President's trophy but were bounced in 5 games by a team that just managed to get into 8th place in the West. LA underperformed last year until the ideal time and surged at the perfect time and had no long term injury issues. I would rather just struggle in the regular season and surge in the playoffs than what we did last year. Mike Gillis was spot on when he said on After Hours that we Canuck Fans have had a lot to cheer about in the last five years and I for one have been. I continue to hope for a Stanley Cup victory but in the meantime I'm going to enjoy watching hockey, celebrate the wins and regret the losses. Panic, no way?!

You do realize that this Presiden't Cup team was bounced first round and that has only happened once before IIRC. The fact that LA did what it did is no indication gthat this team could do the same, in fact, it's highly unlikely as the Kings were built for a completely different style of play than the Nucks. They also "panicked" and switched coaches mid-season.

The Nucks W/L record, which is 11-10 is far below where this team should be based on its talent, experience and weak division. Add to that the lacklustre way the team has played and the growing soap opera around the players and fans have every right to be concerned.

THose who make fun of or put down those that are concerned were around last year too saying not to worry, the Nucks are just saving themelves for the playoffs. IN fact what they were doing was saving themselves FROM the playoffs.

GIllis himself said he is concerned about everything. Why should passionate fans be any different?

Canucks have been an average team since that epic win in Boston last regular season.

Since that game our special teams haven't been very special and other than the Sedins and Hamhuis nobody has had any consistency.

I think we're watching this team slowly slip out of the being a top tier team.

I don't get it. We played a full 60 minute effort against LA, then dominated the Flames despite a terrible ride over there. Yes, we came out 1-1, but we played really well both games (and it's too bad we had to lose on a terrible call from the refs).

This fan base has been so spoiled by our past regular seasons and seriously y'all just need to chill out. I get you're passionate, and so am I, but IMO the last two games for the Canucks have been the best two games they've played the whole year, except maybe that 5-0 win against Anaheim earlier in the season.

If we play like we did against LA and Calgary, we'll win against the Sharks, and frankly almost any other team.

The calgary game was horrible.. but people are really under-estimating the fact they had to fly in two hours before the game.

I think as is, we should easily make the playoffs but I would be very surprised if we go on a deep (WCF or SCF) playoff run, the team really needs some tweaking, we seem to be in a bit of a identity transition phase.

We definitely don't look as dominate as in our cup run year, we looked unstoppable then but we are still a very good team.

We need to change our coach now, before the Sedins start to decline.

Our window is closing, we need to take advantage of it.

Archived