The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When is it time to panic? Canucks are 3-5-1 in last 9 games

DonaldBrashear

Canucks 3-5-1 in past 9 games. Time to panic?

The Canucks are now 3-5-1 over their past 9 games. This has caused them to drop from having a secure hold on the division title and almost a sure spot on the playoffs, to being in jeopardy of being in 9th or 10th place in the conference and missing the playoffs. I've seen this story before. For those who take our playoff berths as granted, let me assure you that nothing is written in stone. We've missed the playoffs twice since the dreaded Mark Messier years, and we could miss them again.

At what point is it time to panic? And let me define some examples of panic:

- Making a big trade

- Firing AV or MG

- AV calling the team out publicly

- Dissention in the locker room

The Canucks are now 3-5-1 over their past 9 games. This has caused them to drop from having a secure hold on the division title and almost a sure spot on the playoffs, to being in jeopardy of being in 9th or 10th place in the conference and missing the playoffs. I've seen this story before. For those who take our playoff berths as granted, let me assure you that nothing is written in stone. We've missed the playoffs twice since the dreaded Mark Messier years, and we could miss them again.

- Making a big trade

- Firing AV or MG

Panic is if Minnesota passes us. Because then we might actually be out of the playoffs for real. There's like 2-4 points separating 4th and 10th, and a lot of those teams are playoff contenders naturally. We're only two points up on Minnesota. If we lose and they win to tie, they have more wins so we'd get knocked down. And if the teams below us win as well, we're almost out of the playoffs right away at the midpoint of the season. I'd say that's a pretty good time to panic.

The players have not tuned out AV...like Ron Wilson in Toronto,or Therrien in Pittsburgh...There's no garauntee that a coaching change in midstream would provide winning results either.On the contrary,we could go into a prolonged losing skid with a new bench boss and staff.

I don't see MG or AV as the type that panics in the face of difficult times. MG would surely make a trade that is going to help the club at any time, even when the club is playing well. He has stated that many times but the trade has to make sense in that it achieves something that is desirable. However, you have to find a trading partner that has what you want and is willing to part with the player or players. If MG traded Luo for a package of high risk prospects, CDC would be calling for his head.....I can just imagine all the threads titled 'The time is now MG, not 5 years from now!'.

Trades are a lot more complex now with the cap to contend with so you can't just pick up the phone and get multiple offers for your players. You also won't have much success down the road if you squander your assets. MG knows that we need a top 6 plus some restocking of quality prospects and if MG was fired the next GM would be faced with the same waiting game.

As far as firing AV, I don't see him as the reason why this team is playing Jeckl and Hyde. There are too many players not playing 60 minutes. He cannot bench them because we do not have players that can step in and injuries compound the problems.

Rather than whining that we should fire the coach or the GM, look in the mirror and realise that the person that is staring back at you doesn't have the expertise to do their jobs.

As far as the refs, I do have a problem with a few of them that cannot be professional enough to shake of a grudge (eg Burrows getting punched in the face and no call). This is the only thing that I would do differently. I would instigate(a bench clearing brawl would suffice) so much when there are multiple non calls that the ref would lose control of the game....that is the only way that the league will question his performance. At least you would get a chance to state your case during the league meeting with Shanahan.

- Making a big trade

- Firing AV or MG

Mmm,I don't party or drink beer and I played Rep hockey and I know it is only a game.

IF you have a job or career within the game then it is more than a game.

As a hockey fan - that is hockey anywhere played by anyone - I know it is strictly entertainment.

Mmm,I don't party or drink beer and I played Rep hockey and I know it is only a game.

IF you have a job or career within the game then it is more than a game.

As a hockey fan - that is hockey anywhere played by anyone - I know it is strictly entertainment.

Archived