195 replies to this topic

#31 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,938 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

It's Always time to panic! If we are doing good panic because soon we won't if we are doing bad panic because the situation is hopeless.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#32 CrippledCanuck

CrippledCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

There will only be a short time to panic, after we miss the playoffs but ending when we draft McKinnon.

For those of you who can't figure it out on your own, that was sarcasm

#33 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,557 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

The time to panic is when you are in last place.

I can't see that happening to this team.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#34 thundernuts

thundernuts

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

Is it ever a good time to panic?
Posted Image

#35 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

The schedule excuse is getting old. Every team has had this problem this year.

#36 RBCanucks

RBCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

Nobody is going to give us anything for Luongo. If we're looking for a multi-peice high end deal it will be Schneider that has to go, but I doubt that will happen, nor should it.

I'm sad to say I think AV's time in Vancouver is coming to an end. I'm a huge AV fan but our game has started to fall apart lately in our own end and for whatever reason AV seems reluctant to adjust his systems to compensate.

I'm not ready to say die yet, but I think by season's end we will make the playoffs but I don't see us making it passed the first round unless we get hot near the end of the season. Either way I'm actually fine with not being as good of a regular season team. It's meant nothing in the past. The team needs to focus on their game plan and fill a few of our holes.

For example:
I really like the Higgins, Raymond, Hansen line but we need either Raymond to step up in the face off circle or find a more reliable natural center. That being said, aside from that one issue I think Higgins-Raymond-Hansen could solve a lot of our problems with being top-9 heavy and I've loved what I've seen from them. It essentially sorts out the concerns I've been having with our forward lineup without having to disassemble part of our core. I still don't like that we lost Volpatti but I like Sestito from what I've seen.

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Raymond-Hansen
Sestito-Lapierre-Weise/Pinizotto

I like that Booth and Kassian seem to have chemistry though I hate how little Booth passes. There was one play off the rush that Booth had the puck and Kassian was open while crashing the net but rather than pass Booth decided to take a weak shot on a pretty bad angle while being covered.

Edited by rbcanucks87, 04 March 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#37 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

panic is the wrong word. When is it time for a "change"

Time for a change is when the players show a lack of drive or motivation to play 60 minute games. Sitting back on leads for long periods of times is never good.

A "change" with the head coach is what I think this team needs. And if that doesnt work and we still fail in the playoffs, then these core players who have been here for years need to be broken up as they just cant get it done

#38 ConMar

ConMar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

When to panic? Well, a few minutes after a lost to (insert team here), seems to be the norm around here.

#39 We Are All Cucks

We Are All Cucks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

'Panic' is the wrong word. It implies rash action without careful consideration.

'Concern' is the question at this point. Action needs to be taken if the Canucks want to be more than a middle-of-the road team but clearly trading Luongo for a bag of pucks is not helpful for the team, so I would classify that as a rash action and not a carefully considered one.
Firing AV (as much as I would love to see it) doesn't seem prudent considering he was just extended and he survived a ten game losing skid a few years back...there is no justification to do it after an 11 win start.

As for those who say 'wait until the playoffs', however, I saw that same attitude last season. People dismissed the concern element saying the Canucks would place it into second gear in the post-season. (How did that turn out again?) So standing pat doesn't seem wise either. So yes, time to be concerned for sure, but acting rashly isn't the answer.

Thank you and goodnight.

#40 JamesB

JamesB

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

The current team is very similar to the team that won the President's trophy last year, so it might be a bit early to panic.
However, Minny and Edmonton have improved and winning the Division is not a lock.

However, the big moves that might shake things up are probably not very appealing right now. I think the Canucks would get very little for Luongo or Ballard in a trade as teams are not keen to take on salary with the cap coming down next year. Luongo's hot streak is over and Ballard just provides nowhere near the performance to justify his cap hit.

The other "big move" that might be out there would be to fire AV, but that is not going to happen until after the season at the earliest.

#41 Just Jimmy

Just Jimmy

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

You've actually got it wrong...

Personally, the regular season doesn't mean anything except that you must get into the playoffs...

I disagree with you here...seeding is important in the playoffs so winning as many games as you can does help. Sure it doesn't guarantee...example the Kings last year, but it's better to get in as a #1 seed than #8.

I'm sure you'd rather play Minnesota or Phoenix in the first round and NOT the Hawks...however, personally I'd love to get the Hawks in the first round and bounce them out of the playoffs.

#42 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

It's definitely not panic time, but i don't feel like this current team will make much noise in the playoffs. Short of a big trade to bolster the team, the only hope I have for them in the playoffs is if they have this extra gear that none of us have seen yet.

#43 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,396 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

CDC is addicted to irrational panic.
When is it time to stop panicking?
Now.

#44 Anubis61

Anubis61

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

I fail to see why panic is even being contemplated at this stage. We're not even half way through this season and still iin playoff position. I seem to recall that last year we won the President's trophy but were bounced in 5 games by a team that just managed to get into 8th place in the West. LA underperformed last year until the ideal time and surged at the perfect time and had no long term injury issues. I would rather just struggle in the regular season and surge in the playoffs than what we did last year. Mike Gillis was spot on when he said on After Hours that we Canuck Fans have had a lot to cheer about in the last five years and I for one have been. I continue to hope for a Stanley Cup victory but in the meantime I'm going to enjoy watching hockey, celebrate the wins and regret the losses. Panic, no way?!

#45 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

You meant to say that 0.650 hockey is "barely" 0.500, right?

It is either 1.000 or nothing for these pukes. Panic when you find your balls.
Posted Image
"Louuuuuuuuuu!" - Last game Attended: Vancouver vs. Penguins
Email me

#46 captain_kirk1

captain_kirk1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

It's always darkest before the dawn.

Right handed D and a center before the deadline. Mayray, Ballard and Booth (assuming Jensen comes) on the block.

Haha your sig is great!

I was at the LA game and we got a "Chips! Chips! Chips" chant going for Tostito. hmm chips

#47 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,189 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

We're six points ahead of Calgary, Edmonton, and Colorado. We're two points ahead of Minnesota.

I'm not panicking, but I'm certainly concerned.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#48 Mad Cow Disease

Mad Cow Disease

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

Debs comment deserves a face palm. Real Canuck fans panic when they know there is nothing good coming our way. This season is a right off I hope We do miss the playoffs

Look at the Kings' season last year. You're not a true fan.

#49 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

Canucks 3-5-1 in past 9 games. Time to panic?

The Canucks are now 3-5-1 over their past 9 games. This has caused them to drop from having a secure hold on the division title and almost a sure spot on the playoffs, to being in jeopardy of being in 9th or 10th place in the conference and missing the playoffs. I've seen this story before. For those who take our playoff berths as granted, let me assure you that nothing is written in stone. We've missed the playoffs twice since the dreaded Mark Messier years, and we could miss them again.

At what point is it time to panic? And let me define some examples of panic:

- Making a big trade
- Firing AV or MG
- AV calling the team out publicly
- Dissention in the locker room

Just wanted to point out the stat error. (I am aware others have shown we are 4-4-2 in our last 10) The 3-5-1 record, actually 3-5-2 is for away games, not the season record. Misleading stat. Not sure if the OP was deliberately being misleading, or just made an error.
Sig too big.

#50 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

Yes we are 11-6-4 but please take into consideration all 4 of those OTLs are in the shootout, if this was playoff hockey and we got 20minutes of overtime the outcome could have been very different for all those games.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#51 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

I fail to see why panic is even being contemplated at this stage. We're not even half way through this season and still iin playoff position. I seem to recall that last year we won the President's trophy but were bounced in 5 games by a team that just managed to get into 8th place in the West. LA underperformed last year until the ideal time and surged at the perfect time and had no long term injury issues. I would rather just struggle in the regular season and surge in the playoffs than what we did last year. Mike Gillis was spot on when he said on After Hours that we Canuck Fans have had a lot to cheer about in the last five years and I for one have been. I continue to hope for a Stanley Cup victory but in the meantime I'm going to enjoy watching hockey, celebrate the wins and regret the losses. Panic, no way?!

You do realize that this Presiden't Cup team was bounced first round and that has only happened once before IIRC. The fact that LA did what it did is no indication gthat this team could do the same, in fact, it's highly unlikely as the Kings were built for a completely different style of play than the Nucks. They also "panicked" and switched coaches mid-season.

The Nucks W/L record, which is 11-10 is far below where this team should be based on its talent, experience and weak division. Add to that the lacklustre way the team has played and the growing soap opera around the players and fans have every right to be concerned.

THose who make fun of or put down those that are concerned were around last year too saying not to worry, the Nucks are just saving themelves for the playoffs. IN fact what they were doing was saving themselves FROM the playoffs.

GIllis himself said he is concerned about everything. Why should passionate fans be any different?

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 04 March 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#52 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

You do realize that this Presiden't Cup team was bounced first round and that has only happened once before IIRC. The fact that LA did what it did is no indication gthat this team could do the same, in fact, it's highly unlikely as the Kings were built for a completely different style of play than the Nucks. They also "panicked" and switched coaches mid-season.

The Nucks W/L record, which is 11-10 is far below where this team should be based on its talent, experience and weak division. Add to that the lacklustre way the team has played and the growing soap opera around the players and fans have every right to be concerned.

THose who make fun of or put down those that are concerned were around last year too saying not to worry, the Nucks are just saving themelves for the playoffs. IN fact what they were doing was saving themselves FROM the playoffs.

GIllis himself said he is concerned about everything. Why should passionate fans be any different?

Prez Trophy winner has been eliminated 5 times in first round since its introduction to the league.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#53 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

in terms of wins and losses, isnt this an 11-9 record?

Sort of - I guess it depends on how you think of the OT losses (single point, loss, doesn't mean anything since no ties in playoffs when it matters).

Either way, they have 26 points out of 42 possible, so playing at 0.619 points wise, but 0.524 if only looking at wins. Both over 500 and they are currently 7th in the league with a game in hand over some of those above them. Hardly need for panic, but they will need to step it up to secure a win in the division, which they should be able to do.

#54 CanadianRugby

CanadianRugby

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

Canucks have been an average team since that epic win in Boston last regular season.

Since that game our special teams haven't been very special and other than the Sedins and Hamhuis nobody has had any consistency.

I think we're watching this team slowly slip out of the being a top tier team.

#55 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Prez Trophy winner has been eliminated 5 times in first round since its introduction to the league.

K THanks. I knew it was rare!

#56 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

I don't get it. We played a full 60 minute effort against LA, then dominated the Flames despite a terrible ride over there. Yes, we came out 1-1, but we played really well both games (and it's too bad we had to lose on a terrible call from the refs).

This fan base has been so spoiled by our past regular seasons and seriously y'all just need to chill out. I get you're passionate, and so am I, but IMO the last two games for the Canucks have been the best two games they've played the whole year, except maybe that 5-0 win against Anaheim earlier in the season.

If we play like we did against LA and Calgary, we'll win against the Sharks, and frankly almost any other team.

#57 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

We need to change our coach now, before the Sedins start to decline.

Our window is closing, we need to take advantage of it.

#58 snolan

snolan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

The calgary game was horrible.. but people are really under-estimating the fact they had to fly in two hours before the game.

I think as is, we should easily make the playoffs but I would be very surprised if we go on a deep (WCF or SCF) playoff run, the team really needs some tweaking, we seem to be in a bit of a identity transition phase.

We definitely don't look as dominate as in our cup run year, we looked unstoppable then but we are still a very good team.

We need to change our coach now, before the Sedins start to decline.

Our window is closing, we need to take advantage of it.

Edit: This is a good point as well, sure AV may be a good coach but he isn't doing it for us. Sure, we made the SCF but we came out so flat so many times in that series and coming out flat is so common place. Look at the Kings last year, they changed a coach and caught fire and won it all... sometimes good coaches don't work in their situation anymore.

Edited by snolan, 04 March 2013 - 02:03 PM.

CMON GUYS HAVE SOME FAITH! WE ARE GOING TO WIN. ANYONE CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT IF THEY WANT. YOULL SEE

-- 1st Period of Game 2 VS the Kings, 2012 Series

#59 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

K THanks. I knew it was rare!

Not really rare. That's something like 21% of the time, with 5 possible outcomes that's actually quite frequent.
-Edgar Allen Poe

#60 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,850 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

LOL it is just hockey people, chill out.

Not just hockey bud. It's a way of life. Only bandwagoners that only go to games to party and drink beer and know nothing about hockey think it's only a game.

Edited by Doug The Thug Glatt, 04 March 2013 - 01:14 PM.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.