The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ballard's agent to talk to management

The only time he exceeded expectations was his first year with a team full of grinders who played the trap.

If you want to see AV exceed expectations again, he should go to a team like Phoenix, Columbus because I think he could get them into the playoffs. We need a better high caliber coach who's primary strength is offensive attacking strategies

If anyone would quietly notice, AV is not ruining Tanev's development. On the contrary, he's giving Tanev more responsibility instead of going with established vets. Even with Bieksa back, Tanev played 20mins in the LA game.

Maybe he has a clue afterall. Tanev's been great.

How can you call something a strength when he has show no penchant for it? He has in the past liked to take risks on offence, and thats one of the reasons why he looked to bad at times. He never finished his chances, and then would end caught up ice. Ive watched it over and over again.

Its posts like yours that make me wonder if you have actually watched Ballard play. Ballard has played nearly 16 mins a game for 19 games Thats 317 mins of ice time (15 mins of PP time) and has 1 assist. And dont compare Edler to Ballard, Edler plays much tougher minutes against much tougher opposition.

The reason why we compare his time in Florida to here is that there is was considered a top 2 dman. He came here and simply hasnt outplayed anyone in the top 4 to deserve those minutes, and barely played well enough over the last 2 seasons (this one excluded) to warrant a spot in the line up at all.

If AV has turned Ballard into the opposite of what he was, then hats off to AV because Ballard has never looked better with this team than he has this year.

Also

Marek Zdlicky - 19:40 TOI, 3:54 PP TOI - 7 of 8 points on PP

Nick Leddy - 16:02 TOI, 3:05 PP TOI - 4 of 8 points on PP

There have been many players, some who helped their team to championships, who were used in this role. It's not a new invention.

There are many ways to get production out of different players. There's no reason in my mind not to try this model with Ballard at least for a bit, especially when the PP is executing poorly.

Poor Bally. He has been nothing but a patient class act.

I really don't know how anyone can defend this sorry excuse for a coach anymore.

GIllis please pull in an LA a la Sutter and bring in Ruff for a much needed shake up.

Watch which player on the pairing is tasked with carrying the puck or moving the puck when transitioning......Tanev is the one on their pairing that is being given the opportunity to move the puck, not Ballard.

Top 4 guys playing with the top 6 will get more ES points just by default...

You mentioned it's like talking to a speedbump in another post, but then you mention Tanev in one point but ignore him in another point about Top 4 guys playing with top 6 players getting more points by default. Tanev has most of his points from when he was playing with Ballard!

So you're saying all 5 of the D I mentioned are seeing better minutes, with better team mates, and in better roles than Ballard? But doesn't at least one of them have to play alongside Ballard and share the same type of minutes, with the same team mates, and the same type of role at least 5 on 5?

You haven't shown me anything to say that's not true, you're just saying it isn't true. However, it must be true at least to some extent when thinking logically, looking at the stats for how they've been deployed, and just by watching Ballard having played with Tanev for the majority of the start of the season.

For the coaches to use Ballard in a role he's more accustomed too, or would succeed better in, they'd have to take those minutes from someone else. Who would you suggest he gets those 2+ minutes of PP time in place of? Should he take them from Hamhuis, who's had 4 PP points and 12 total? We've already talked about Edler, does his time get reduced on the PP? How about Bieksa, who admittedly hasn't got points to show for his time on the PP but does fit in well with the other players. Garrison was removed from the PP when he didn't produce but has since started to look good at finding his shot after adjusting initially. They've been trying a forward on the point as well, but then which do you remove? The Sedins are finding their form, Raymond and Burrows have been good there, Kesler, Kassian, Hansen and Schroeder have been used up front rather than the point.

There are choices but I don't see any as a clear demotion compared to Ballard considering what they've done otherwise. We may have to agree to disagree on this (both you and wallstreet), but unless I see more information on who within our team Ballard deserves those minutes more than, I don't see it in my opinion. I think we can all three agree this isn't the coaches being malicious and penalizing Ballard.

As well as Ballard has been playing of late and as deserved/undeserved his stay in AV's doghouse has been, the fact remains that the Canucks are not paying Ballard $4+ million a year to be a bottom pairing defenceman.

Right now he is the no. 1 candidate for our compliance buyout come the off-season. Not because he isn't a solid player but because of his contract. Ballard is the right player for us with the misfortune of having a horrible contract.

I personally think a trade is the best option for him as well at the team because come the offseason the Canucks will be paying him not to play for us.

Why not trade Ballard for Komisarek (and a pick)? If we're going to buy Ballard out (at the end of the year), not play him, get no serious interest in him, and he demands a trade, we may as well get something for him. We can buy-out Komisarek at the end of the year, so cap is not a problem. Now if there is interest, we could trade for something else...

As well as Ballard has been playing of late and as deserved/undeserved his stay in AV's doghouse has been, the fact remains that the Canucks are not paying Ballard $4+ million a year to be a bottom pairing defenceman.

Right now he is the no. 1 candidate for our compliance buyout come the off-season. Not because he isn't a solid player but because of his contract. Ballard is the right player for us with the misfortune of having a horrible contract.

I personally think we should try to trade him and get as much as we can for him while we can because come the offseason the Canucks will be paying him not play for us.

Archived