The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ballard's agent to talk to management

Please quantify "more effective PP players." Ballard, brought here because of his offensive upside, has had less than 30 minutes of PP time in 3 years (6 mins 32 secs this season). Edler has had just under 90 minutes this year alone (2 goals). Hamhuis 57:33, no goals. Garrison, 52:12, no goals. I'm not a believer in goals/points telling the whole story so I'd like your take on what makes the other 5 D more effective PP players and how you think Ballard's sample size tells us the story.

What I'm hearing a lot of in this thread is that Ballard never got a fair shake and has never being used properly. The GM gets the players, the coach should be maximizing their abilities. I hope Keith gets moved somewhere that will appreciate him.

And I agree. The 3rd pairing has more minutes this year than any other and they've reduced the top 4 accordingly. That would seem like a reward for he and Tanev doing so well together this year. When I checked earlier in the year, the top 4 guys were getting about a minute less than normal and Ballard and Tanev were getting closer to 2 minutes more. That's gone back slightly more to how it was since they've changed around the pairings, but not a lot.

They are spreading around the minutes, but it's harder to do that on the PP: "Ok, you guys have to come off even though you're controlling the puck exclusively in their end since we don't want to wear you out."

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

To the people complaining why AV scratched Ballard it was the right call. You have to give some of our depth guys Alberts, Barker, etc some games. Do you expect the team to go into the playoffs with their depth guys only playing a few games and not being ready for the playoffs.

Ah, but if the Sedins have to play 4th line because you have other lines consisting of players as good as Gretzky, Crosby, Stamkos, Lemieux, Francis, Yzerman, Sakic, etc. all ahead of them in the lineup, is that the coaches fault? Do you blame the management for assembling a team with so much depth that someone who could do better with the right minutes happens to be behind others who do even better in those same minutes?

There's nothing really to suggest Ballard is better than the top 4 we do have, certainly not Hamhuis and Edler, offensively to deserve the minutes those other D get.

dunno if others see this during game play, but ballard and his partner never really gets offensive zone shifts, how many times have we seen ballard and partner rush the puck out into the o zone and see that by the time the forwards start setting up and pass to the blueline the top 4 has come on to play

so to those saying that ballard doesn't produce, do u expect him to go end to end and score on his own? or are you expecting him to do that from the bench?

as for everyone getting pissed off at av, it's fine if you want to look at our 7/8 dmen, but don't spew garbage about how they give u a better chance to win to justifying ballard being a healthy scratch, it makes you look like a fool

i hope ballard gets traded, he deserves better, and what makes everyone think the player we get back won't get treated the same way by av??

I have always had the belief of the cream rises to the top, look at Burrows and Hansen for example both had limited roles to start with improved and earned their ice time. Ballard has shown really nothing to warrant the ice time people here are calling for. limited ice time or not he's had very few games where he's been above average or better. And I'm not discrediting Ballard he has had injury issues which have also hurt him getting into a rhythm as well.

But you really honestly can't blame that all on the coach Ballard is responsible for his performance.

Hansen and Burrows played limited roles, they were never in the doghouse. Burrows got lucky that AV threw him out for a shift and he clicked with the Twins.

Ballard is a far better player than we have seen, AV isn't using him to his capabilities at all, I can't wait till he goes somewhere else and continues to build upon the solid play we saw this season, then we can all look back and realize we had the opportunity to make him a real effective player here.

But for some reason AV just wouldn't quit. And yes he is biased against Ballard, its clear, crystal clear.

Why not trade Ballard for Komisarek (and a pick)? If we're going to buy Ballard out (at the end of the year), not play him, get no serious interest in him, and he demands a trade, we may as well get something for him. We can buy-out Komisarek at the end of the year, so cap is not a problem. Now if there is interest, we could trade for something else...

Redden isn't that good, a bottom pair or depth guy, has already been scratched a few times, and Sobotka (judging by what guys like Ellerby, Loktionov, exc) went for, isn't exactly loaded with value either, especially since he is a 4th liner when they are healthy.

I have always had the belief of the cream rises to the top, look at Burrows and Hansen for example both had limited roles to start with improved and earned their ice time. Ballard has shown really nothing to warrant the ice time people here are calling for. limited ice time or not he's had very few games where he's been above average or better. And I'm not discrediting Ballard he has had injury issues which have also hurt him getting into a rhythm as well.

But you really honestly can't blame that all on the coach Ballard is responsible for his performance.

Ballard is a far better player than we have seen, AV isn't using him to his capabilities at all, I can't wait till he goes somewhere else and continues to build upon the solid play we saw this season, then we can all look back and realize we had the opportunity to make him a real effective player here.

dunno if others see this during game play, but ballard and his partner never really gets offensive zone shifts, how many times have we seen ballard and partner rush the puck out into the o zone and see that by the time the forwards start setting up and pass to the blueline the top 4 has come on to play

so to those saying that ballard doesn't produce, do u expect him to go end to end and score on his own? or are you expecting him to do that from the bench?

as for everyone getting pissed off at av, it's fine if you want to look at our 7/8 dmen, but don't spew garbage about how they give u a better chance to win to justifying ballard being a healthy scratch, it makes you look like a fool

i hope ballard gets traded, he deserves better, and what makes everyone think the player we get back won't get treated the same way by av??

Archived