The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ballard's agent to talk to management

Another post that has brought out the whiners over AV not babying Ballard.

Ballard is not a R shooting dman and he is not as solid a dman as Tanev, not as good as the other top 4 so he is on the 3rd pairing and sharing icetime with others that are also able to play the 3rd pairing L (eg Alberts)etc. He is capable of being a top 4 on some teams but not the Canucks so maybe a trade is in order. He can be replaced at a lower cap hit by someone else that would be happy to play here.

AV is doing the best job of playing the guys that get it done.

Another post that has brought out the whiners over AV not babying Ballard.

Ballard is not a R shooting dman and he is not as solid a dman as Tanev, not as good as the other top 4 so he is on the 3rd pairing and sharing icetime with others that are also able to play the 3rd pairing L (eg Alberts)etc. He is capable of being a top 4 on some teams but not the Canucks so maybe a trade is in order. He can be replaced at a lower cap hit by someone else that would be happy to play here.

AV is doing the best job of playing the guys that get it done.

Ballard for Redden is a step backwards. Ballard > Redden. But Redden can stilll hold his own and be a fine 3rd pair guy, the addition comes at us getting Sobotka, which is the perfect 3rd line center for us, imagine him between Hansen and Higgins.

Exactly. AV isn't allowing Ballard to play the way he excelled at. Before coming here, Ballard's style of play was a lot more offensive and involved rushing up the ice. (Similar to Ehrhoff maybe?) But after coming to Vancouver he hasn't been used in that capacity and instead was used mainly as a defensive defenseman.

Also, Ballard plays very well with Tanev but for some reason AV broke them up in the middle of the season. (Yes I know he needed to get the other pairings going but honestly wouldn't it be better to have one good pairing that works well rather than having 3 pairings that can't play well?..AV never broke up Bieksa and Hamhuis in the previous two seasons even when the other pairings weren't working)

One major problem that we have with Ballard as a team is that our forward group is currently incomplete. Complete it and then you will take pressure off of Ballard. However, having $11-12mil scratched/benched every game isn't really allowing us to address our issues up front, is it?

Cap waste has been a glaring issue since we faced the much more efficient Bruins in the finals. Waste less cap space and you'll find that your team can get over injuries a lot easier.

At the end of the day, Ballard needs to go and get a fresh start somewhere else. Regardless if there's a cap issue or not this year. 4.2 mil for a 6th d man is tough enough to swallow, but a 4.2 mil d man watching in the stands most of the time will be

People on here need to stop panicking. Boys are in a slump and they'll pull out of it. People have been screaming about AV but the players themselves have said they have a ton of respect for him. Clearly, he keeps most of the garbage in the room (which players respect), they know what he wants from them and are a veteran team.

He treats them like a veteran team, not babies who haven't been around long enough to know what it takes = he's giving them professional respect back = players respecting him, its a virtuous circle kids.

If anyone here has played a sport at a competitive level as an adult they would get this. I understand there are very few but those who do would get this point. He has not 'lost' the room, he allows and expects his leaders to lead. You hear coaches saying all the time, we need our best players to be our best players, well that's how he coaches there is nothing fundamentally wrong with AV and no need to get rid of him.

The issue I believe right now is the following:

1. Firstly the fans need to take a pill. So they are in a slump, big deal. We're in the 3rd, panic panic panic. Mommy's not bringing home my cookie, mommy's not bringing home my cookie, sitting at the window looking out a whining and crying. Only to see, mommy was delayed but she brought you your damn cookie. Grow up, this team is terrific and will find their game.

2. Some fair arguments including this quote that perhaps things aren't as good with the chemistry as we'd like. Do I take this as an AV/MG issue. Not at all. I take this as a maturing team, that hasn't won, that has developed some egos.

A. CoHo - people can whine all they want. This kid still can't take a faceoff, is a (-) player with the highest scoring player in the league on his line (so can't play D to save his life), they (BUF) are in last place in their conference, and their goals against is atrocious. He is the number one center and is expected to play a PIVOTAL role at both ends of the arena (please look up hank's +/- over the past 5 years (top 4 in the league and look at CoHo's). CoHo gets alot of pity point / second assists and is not the player people here think he is. Add in that he's a whiner who thinks he deserved more ice time than a Hart and Selke winning center and that says enough. Pure stupidity, let it go and a good move by MG, Kass will be fine and is the player we need. So don't agree with this point.

B. Manny's situation. Who knows but MG is sincere and wouldn't put Manny at risk, you're questioning a man's integrity when you suggest MG did this for alterior motives. I think MG has integrity.

C. Goalie situation - yes poor handling and needs to be addressed now - agreement

D. Kesler - If you're going to question integrity - question Keslers. Hmm...hurt all through the lock out (ie get paid your 5 million) then magically get better 3 weeks in...The guy hasn't brought anything but diving, selfish play, and a me first attitude since the cup run. He is living off a terrific series vs. Nashville and has forgotten what got him here, work ethic. He seems to believe he's a superstar and doesn't have to continuously work on his game (Jagr practices on his own after practice and Kesler ain't no Jagr), all the greats focus on improving aspects of their games to become the best, Crosby, Gretz, Lemieux, Sedins etc. Kesler, well he bitches when AV says he needs to pass more...this lends some insight into the guy's headspace, ego, mentality. He thinks he's better than he is and doesn't have to improve. If there is anyone to trade to shake up this team (ex Lou bc he just needs out), its Kesler. I also wouldn't be surprised if he's the source of a rift in the room. He, Bieksa, Lou are all buddies. I can see him being the cancer.

E. Bias against Ballard. Really tired of people saying AV has it out for this guy or that guy. People, everyone is human, you're going to have favorites and not. BUT...at the end of the day, if you do the things coaches ask of you effectively, you will play because it gives you the best chance to win. There are a few trains of thought here on Ballard.

1. There is some aspect of his game that the coaches have been working on over and over with him, some nuance that he is not getting and thus they pulled him out.

2. Could be something personal / family related we don't know and they want to keep it private.

3. Could be part of a trade and holding him out until its done for fear of injury

4. Could be that the other players inserted are part of a trade and the other teams wanted a look...

So don't start jumping to conclusions, whining about AV etc. His RECORD with the Canucks speaks for itself kids.

F. Players not knowing their role? Well FFS I can tell a young player what his role is on an AV team, why can't they figure it out? Play smart in your own end, be patient, don't take risks and minimize errors. Simple hockey. P

erhaps Schroeder isn't playing with the same intensity he was at the start of the year, perhaps he's not battling enough for pucks, perhaps he's making bad reads defensively? As for Kassian, people including me want him on the top two lines, but let's not forget the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, all started on the 3rd line. Better not to rush them, force pressure on them etc. We've seen glimpses of both these player's talent, but we have talented vets in front of them that need to start playing the game THEY are capable of if we want to get anywhere in the playoffs. We will not win the cup bc of Jordon Schroeder, or even Zack Kassian. We will win a cup because/if the Sedins continue to play their game, we get the same consistent effort from Burr, Mayray can find a way to contribute in the playoffs, Kesler puts his ego in check, Higgins and Hansen continue to grit it out, Lappiere stops taking stupid penalties and shuts his trap, we stop diving, Hammer finds his game, Edler finds his game, Bieksa brings his toughness and 2 way play, Tanev plays his terrific game, Schnieds/and or Lou get hot, Booth finds a way to integrate etc etc.

This is not about AV folks its about the players on this team taking responsibility for their efforts and waking up. A veteran team does not need a coach to yell at it. They need to look at themselves in the mirror and leave their egos (developed frm where I don't know as I don't see a Stanley Cup ring on their fingers) at the door.

I guess Ballard is now the most high maintenance player on the team now that cody is gone.

What I dont get is why most of us fans are so upset with AV

First its Rick bowness who manages the defence

Then Tanev and Ballard split up and we see Tanev still playing well and Ballard becoming a minus machine

So against LA big forwards, we put in Alberts for Ballard

Against a weaker opponent like Calgary, the coaching staff decides to take a look at their depth on defense, at some point, the 7th and 8th guys had to get in some minutes

Now everyone is hating on AV and the agent wants to talk to management. My question is to all who are upset at Ballard being benched, who would you rather trade? Ballard or Tanev, Hamhuis, Edler, Garrison, Bieksa?

If Ballard doesn't sit, it means one of the others do and then all the AV haters are gonna say why not sit Ballard?

go figure

Your missing the point... how is that so hard to understand?

Im not comparing them SKILL WISE, because Leddy has more upside and the as i explained to you, he's an offensive Dman...

The point is, their both young players that plays a big part of their teams top 6.... not once did i compare Tanev's skills to Leddy...

Archived