658 replies to this topic

#241 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

The only time he exceeded expectations was his first year with a team full of grinders who played the trap.
If you want to see AV exceed expectations again, he should go to a team like Phoenix, Columbus because I think he could get them into the playoffs. We need a better high caliber coach who's primary strength is offensive attacking strategies

I meant players exceeding their own personal ceilings. The twins have reached superstar status, kesler became better than 3rd line checker. Burrows, nuff said. You can even argue Hansen is a valid 2nd liner now and can be used there full time... Could also say Higgins career is back on track and finding success under AV.

Whether or not people thought they would have done it under any coach is irrelevant because they did do it under AV and can't go back in time to give it a try under someone else.

Maybe a new coach will do good for this team or maybe it won't but as long as AV keeps winning, he's not going anywhere. If we turn into a disaster team and miss the playoffs or make the playoffs and get swept I could see gillis giving him the axe but its not going to happen after our regular midseason slump.

#242 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

Ballard got his whopping one assist this season while on the PP, not hard to actually look..

Yes, his 6 minutes of total PP time this season.....spent mostly at the end of the PP to ensure that a fresh player is on when they go back to 5 on 5........certainly warrant bigger production!

#243 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

I am loll'ing at you that think this is AV's call.

It is not.

You are mad at Gillis. This is his call.

You really think that Bones, who has coached Bally before, and knows him well, on top of lobbying to get him here, would scratch Bally???!!!!!!!!

Interesting thought. I was very inclined to think its AV's call when it came to lineup decisions.
Wh ywouldnt MG just trade him then?

#244 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

Here is the thing about consistency........the longer the sample period, the more accurate the comment.....so basing it on one bad game with a couple of fluke goals (and basing it on +/- at all as it is a team stat) makes me wonder why you think he should be scratched after one bad game.

I never said he should be scratched. Just commenting on the consistancy. As the media pointed out he had a bad game that day. I'm not sure about other games, plus i don't like to pick on players unless they're horrible useless to the team. That question about why he is scratched should be directed at AV. In not a fan of Alberts and don't know much about barker so I'm biased and would of chose Ballard over Alberts anytime of the day.

#245 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

Ballard got his whopping one assist this season while on the PP, not hard to actually look..

Ballard has not received a single PP point in his time as a Canuck.

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...rs/bio/?id=3039

But my point was that he has never been given the minutes so how could he?

Edited by theminister, 04 March 2013 - 04:10 PM.

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#246 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

This trade is going to be a win-win either way. Canucks never play him, trading him means we won't losing anything (he has been decent). However, we will gain something, and that's actually better than having a player that isn't in the lineup.

#247 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,458 posts

I was going to get to this one, but I'm behind! Typing too much as is and working at the same time. Tanev has been good and gotten deserved minutes as a result, and Ballard has helped to an extent with that (they talk a lot I think and work on things together and overall). I like Ballard in particular for what he does in the room and to help the team, but I still have yet to see him being more deserving than others for what some are recommending.

It's a fair enough point from our (TOML and others) side that he hasn't deserved clearly over anyone else, just as you guys (wallstreet, minister and others) are welcome to your opinion he should get better minutes in place of other players.

Franson is hardly producing like crazy, he has 3 PP points this year. Some teams have players who are better overall than others at certain areas and can be used in a more specialized role to be effective. Franson is being used like that (he's 9th on the team in 5 on 4 minutes, but 13th in even strength and 15th at 4 on 5) and every team does it to some extent. The others are also good examples of players that can play more specialized roles.

I don't think anyone disputes that Ballard could play a more specialized role with increased PP minutes, but we're saying is he better than our other options and if not, should he get those minutes regardless just to spread out the workload. I say he's not and shouldn't. No one's convinced me yet otherwise.

Franson has 13 points in 21 games playing 16 min per game.......You don't see how being placed in an offensive role and on the PP has helped his confidence in even strength play as well?

Since the rest of our D have completely and totally done zero on the PP for several games now, you would not try a different guy to see if he can produce? Then you will get along great with AV.

#248 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,185 posts

If his contract was tradeable, they would have done it by now. Probably shortly after he was a healthy scratch in the biggest game in franchise history when their entire back end was playing with ductape holding them together.

I'm curious what the real story behind all this is.

#249 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Interesting thought. I was very inclined to think its AV's call when it came to lineup decisions.
Wh ywouldnt MG just trade him then?

I have zero idea. But something is up with management and Ballard. Maybe a trade is in the works?

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#250 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

He should ask for a trade. He has been mis-handled this year more so in years past.
I Love Lamp...

#251 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

MG needs to take some blame here for not dong enough due diligence on some of these players before bringing them and their huge contracts here (Ballard, Booth).

It has been clear for years that the Nucks lack true top 6 size with scoring ability. MG has tried to address this by signing "projects" that are really 3rd line two-way players (AV loves them) but can't effectively fill the need of the team which shows up badly in the playoffs when the real men come out to play.

AV is also guilty of not using players in a way that may maximize their contribution. Kesler may be good defensively adn in teh circle but he plays like a winger and should be used that way. He doesn't have the natural talent to beat guys one-on-one (like Toews or Kane etc) and is a pue shooter. Despite Schroeder showing tremendous on-ice vision and set-up ability, he is relegated to the 4th line C even with Kesler out. Talk about mis-casting a player!!

MG gives up on their #1 draft pic just as they make their playoff push and gets a guy to address top 6 toughness who is at least 2 years away. He gets benched in the playoffs and this year is basically a "floater" spending most of his time onteh 4th with 6 minutes per game.

The point is, MG and AV together have made numerous poor decisions in who they have acquired and how those assets have been used. All of which plays a part in why the team looks disjointed and confused at times.

#252 UFTcan

UFTcan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

Ballard has not received a single PP point in his time as a Canuck.

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...rs/bio/?id=3039

But my point was that he has never been given the minutes so how could he?

Man its all there in NHL stats, just look dammit jeez,

plus Garrison/Edler/Bieksa/Hammhuis even Tanev are more effective PP players.

5 players with more upside on the PP, so who would you sit genius? It has to make sense other then Give Ballard some experimentation time because he is your man crush..

#253 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,739 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

Actually, there was an article about it not too long ago where they talk about how Ballard discusses things with Tanev all the time, reviews their shifts on video, talks about doing things differently, etc. I will see if I can find it for you. But you really believe that he has not mentored Tanev at all? That is just blind Ballard hate, plain and simple.

I can see Ballard being useful as a mentor in a Malhotra kind of sense, i suppose. But to associate Tanev's rise to Ballard input might be overstated partially due to Ballard love. But you did say 'partially', so... Okay. However, I suppose any of Tanev's veteran partners would be doing the same thing.

Sidenote: If it were me, i would put Ballard on the 2nd power play unit. Not so much to give Ballard more time, but to give Hammer and Juice a bit less time. Those guys are facing TOUGH minutes game-to-game and could use the rest. But i do recall Ballard getting some power play time last season/prior and it didn't look good.
Posted Image

#254 rkyway

rkyway

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

Look; he's only here because MG refuses to admit he made an incredibly stupid trade. (One of the greatest jokes going is that he still pretends he made a good trade! Every Gm in the league laughs himself silly.) AV never wanted him, and has always wanted him gone...but MG refuses to admit his mistake.

#255 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

You make some good points.

I personally don't think my post was a "panicked" one. We agree on some issues and disagree on others.

The Nucks are not firing on all cylinders, whether it's egos, coaching or whatever. Individually, what I mentioened earlier are not major issues and we could all be wrong on what the isues are., It just seems thre are a lot of little personnel "disconnects" happening that could be a sign of internal problems.

For the record...Sutter yells at his veteran SC champ team. He did it the other night against Detroit when they were trailing late and they took over the game and won. Quenneville yells, Carlyle, Therrrien, HItchcock...you get teh message. Llots of very successful coaches disagree with you. It's not the only style and not always necessary but even vets need a kick in the a$$ once in awhile.

sorry wasn't implying you were panicking per se, but many on this board are, and screaming about radical changes to a team in a slump who has performed well for the past 5 years is just silly.

Now do i think there is a problem in the room or with the teams effort right now, yes. What that is, who knows but it aint the coach.

As for Sutter/LA - well i'd argue LA is not the type of veteran team the nucks are. Yes they've won a cup but also just got hot at the right time and had out of this world goaltending the entire run. They certainly haven't been together the years the Nucks have, nor have the experience the Nucks have as a group. LA is still a pretty young team relative to the Nucks...(at least their core stars are - Kopitar, Brown, Quick, Doughty, etc. Even Richards and Carter are younger than the twins). And certainly that team has not had the same core for 5-7 years like we have.

#256 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

Yeah, well maybe you can turn a nut with an adjustable wrench, but a socket with a perfect fit absolutely works better. How many wannabe mechanics give up scratching their knuckles using less than ideal tools? AV has been creatively using all kinds of tools in odd places.

Drafting a BPA makes a heap of sense. But when the high paid vet (lets call him Steve Bernier to be generous) is displaced at RW; move him off the payroll and fill roles the team does need!.

Look at Montreal/Dallas who just swapped left and right wingers so they balanced their line up?

We needed to trade a LW when we acquired Booth.We needed to acquire a RW when we traded Samuelsson. We needed to trade Ballard when we acquired Hamhuis. We threw gas on the fire when we added Garrison. We needed a centre when we lost Hodgson. What could we have filled with $5.3 mill a year with Lou if we sign Schneider??? All of these could be potentially great moves if we balance the ship after the move!

We can't cry about letting guys go. In reality we do need a right handed shot D, a play maker to make all our wingers snipers, a centre, still some more size...Even if you give Ballard away for a 2knd or 3rd pick, we then have cap!

I think the coach is doing a good job all things considered. For crying out loud, we had a 5'7" rookie centring or 4th line last game? I put this on the GM to to get the ship back on track!

It's starting to look like things maybe coming apart in Lotus Land.

1) The way the Cody H deal went down was kind fo ugly
2) Manny's situation looks like it could have been handled better and is still an issue
3) the goalie situation, which is a hold-over form last year's SC exit
4) Some of Kesler and his agents comments and disagreements publicly with management
5) The apparent bias against Ballard - no room for error compared to other D
6) Hearing from the rookies that teh coach doesn't talk to them and explain what is rexpected of them but puts them in positions they can't succeed (Schroeder on 4th line C)

Just some examples bu the say where there's smoke there's fire. Seems to me there is far too much drama and personnel conflict/disconnect. along with questionable treatment of certain players.

Let's not forget Linden and Naslund , two of the greatest Nucks ever, both had issues with management.

Lots of little things can add up to a big thing and maybe it explains the disconnected team we are seeing on the ice. THe players are aware of all these things (and more) and are not immune to it.

#257 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Man its all there in NHL stats, just look dammit jeez,

plus Garrison/Edler/Bieksa/Hammhuis even Tanev are more effective PP players.

5 players with more upside on the PP, so who would you sit genius? It has to make sense other then Give Ballard some experimentation time because he is your man crush..

http://www.nhl.com/i...=scoringLeaders

Back it up.

I've already answered that question. Thanks for contributing.

/ Edit: Ballard received his 1 assist on a goal by Hansen on Feb 12th. At even strength.

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...score/?id=17273

What else have you got?

Edited by theminister, 04 March 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#258 brownky

brownky

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

I'm so tired of AV, I would have fired him after the LA series.

I wouldn't have hired him in the first place.

#259 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

Ballard + to the wings or blues for Filppula or Perron

#260 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,458 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

I can see Ballard being useful as a mentor in a Malhotra kind of sense, i suppose. But to associate Tanev's rise to Ballard input might be overstated partially due to Ballard love. But you did say 'partially', so... Okay. However, I suppose any of Tanev's veteran partners would be doing the same thing.

Sidenote: If it were me, i would put Ballard on the 2nd power play unit. Not so much to give Ballard more time, but to give Hammer and Juice a bit less time. Those guys are facing TOUGH minutes game-to-game and could use the rest. But i do recall Ballard getting some power play time last season/prior and it didn't look good.

Did you see how poor Tanev was with Alberts, Rome, etc. previously???? I am not suggesting Ballard transformed him into a good dman or anythin. But to suggest that he is carrying Ballard - even this season - or that Ballard has not had a positive influence on his development is overstating Tanev's case a lot.

I recall Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, and Garrison getting some PP time this year and there being plenty of times where it didn't look good....;) The point is any player needs more than a fleeting opportunity to get into a groove. Some get it from AV to a fault, others don't.

#261 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,550 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

Talking about speed bumps........why not look at the post of mine you quoted and then tell me what that has to do with your response?

I said if you watch closely you will see that Tanev is the one moving the puck most of the time so it stands to reason he is the one who will pick up 2nd assists if they score off the rush.....

So that's the coaches' fault he isn't doing it well enough himself to get those second assists? Are you saying you have proof (statistical, visual or otherwise) that the coaching staff is telling Ballard he has to pass to Tanev rather than make the play himself?

Even with luck and the law of averages, if he were moving the puck or at least had chances to do so, he'd see more success in that regard. From what I've seen, Ballard hasn't been able to have those chances, certainly at least in part due to his own play. He's made some interesting passes to Tanev to get out of trouble early and put Tanev in some bad situations at times, yet Tanev has worked his way out of it for the most part. Looking at how the both of them have handled it, I would just rate Tanev as better at making the pass.

Ballard should be better at rushing it but he just hasn't been. It certainly isn't some directive from the coaches telling him he can't make a pass or rush the puck up ice if he sees an opportunity. You've mentioned he's suffered from the tightened grip of the coaches after being penalized for mistakes, but isn't that at least in part a reflection on him since he's a veteran now in the NHL and should by comfortable with what he can and can't do?

I think that folks that are talking about Ballard's subpar play are missing the point.

He has been asked to play a different role than what he did when he was scoring and playing top 4 on other teams. It is pretty clear by now that he is not able to play that different role in our system and that there isn't a spot for him in the lineup. That means it is time to move him.

If you ask a Sedin to play a 4th line checker... and he isn't great at it, where exactly does the problem lie? Ballard is a top 4 offensive defenceman, he has never gotten that shot on the team.

We don't have to buy him out as there would be takers for him in the league.

Ah, but if the Sedins have to play 4th line because you have other lines consisting of players as good as Gretzky, Crosby, Stamkos, Lemieux, Francis, Yzerman, Sakic, etc. all ahead of them in the lineup, is that the coaches fault? Do you blame the management for assembling a team with so much depth that someone who could do better with the right minutes happens to be behind others who do even better in those same minutes?

There's nothing really to suggest Ballard is better than the top 4 we do have, certainly not Hamhuis and Edler, offensively to deserve the minutes those other D get.

Tanev had exactly 1 more point than Ballard in the time they played together. Tanev's scoring and +/- have gone up since being moved up alongside Edler. wallstreetamigo was correct in saying that Tanev has been made the puck mover of the two when they were paired. Ballard knows he is looked poorly upon for being past the other team's blue line.

As far as allocation of PP time goes, I would make the following changes for a handful of games without a 2nd thought.

1) Stop using 4 forwards on the 1st PP unit.
2) 1st PP unit - Ballard puck carrier, Edler offside D, Sedins & Kassian/Burrows
3) 2nd PP unit - Bieksa puck carrier, Garrison/Hamhuis offside D, Raymond, Booth, Schroeder

I've answered that question from you. Tell me this, why has the coaching staff not even tried Ballard there? Ever? What is the most PP time he has received in a single game as a Canuck?

Not a single PP in 2+ years.... this is the player's doing?

Edit: My point on the bold... it may not be malicious but it may be incompetence.

Reasonable opinions, although I disagree since Hamhuis leads our D in PP points so far. I can see the need for a puck carrier and respect that you don't like Edler in that role, even agree to some extent, but then carrying the puck up ice isn't the only role on the PP.

He has had PP time, and not just as a throw in - he and Tanev were rewarded with regular PP shift earlier this season and saw some time there. I don't have the insight to why he wasn't tried more in the past, or what they saw that took him off when he did get chances, but I haven't seen anything myself that suggests he's better for it than the others.

I'm trying to remember what game they started to switch Ballard and Tanev around. You saying Tanev's only had one more point than Ballard in the time they played together suggests it was before the Feb 4 Van/Edm game. If so, that's true enough. Even still, essentially calling Tanev more of a designated puck mover doesn't hold water for me, and Ballard has to at least shoulder some of the responsibility for not doing it as well as Tanev is.

Actually, no he didn't. It was an even strength point (source).

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#262 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

Yeah, well maybe you can turn a nut with an adjustable wrench, but a socket with a perfect fit absolutely works better. How many wannabe mechanics give up scratching their knuckles using less than ideal tools? AV has been creatively using all kinds of tools in odd places.

Drafting a BPA makes a heap of sense. But when the high paid vet (lets call him Steve Bernier to be generous) is displaced at RW; move him off the payroll and fill roles the team does need!.

Look at Montreal/Dallas who just swapped left and right wingers so they balanced their line up?

We needed to trade a LW when we acquired Booth.We needed to acquire a RW when we traded Samuelsson. We needed to trade Ballard when we acquired Hamhuis. We threw gas on the fire when we added Garrison. We needed a centre when we lost Hodgson. What could we have filled with $5.3 mill a year with Lou if we sign Schneider??? All of these could be potentially great moves if we balance the ship after the move!

We can't cry about letting guys go. In reality we do need a right handed shot D, a play maker to make all our wingers snipers, a centre, still some more size...Even if you give Ballard away for a 2knd or 3rd pick, we then have cap!

I think the coach is doing a good job all things considered. For crying out loud, we had a 5'7" rookie centring or 4th line last game? I put this on the GM to to get the ship back on track!

HAHAHAA PERFECT

My friends and I were wondering...what the hell? Montreal pretty much has the same roster. Why are they playing so well...and we were stumped.

I just read your post and looked

They changed coaches this year.
It's Michel Therrien's first year as head coach.

So I guess this is another example of a fresh coach with a new start producing great results?Unless you think the problem with the roster was solved by adding Ryder and Prust

#263 UFTcan

UFTcan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

http://www.nhl.com/i...=scoringLeaders

Back it up.

I've already answered that question. Thanks for contributing.

/ Edit: Ballard received his 1 assist on a goal by Hansen on Feb 12th.

At even strength.

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...score/?id=17273

What else have you got?

Still who would you sit to play you love child Ballard? Arguing about one damn assist, Barker got one assist in one game why arent you screaming for him to get some powerplay time?

Bottom line is we have 5 players much better then him on the PP, so who would you sit to bring in the juggernaut Ballard? I dont care if he has 5 assists this year he is still not a better option on the PP.

#264 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

Still who would you sit to play you love child Ballard? Arguing about one damn assist, Barker got one assist in one game why arent you screaming for him to get some powerplay time?

Bottom line is we have 5 players much better then him on the PP, so who would you sit to bring in the juggernaut Ballard? I dont care if he has 5 assists this year he is still not a better option on the PP.

I see you are incapable of a rational discussion.

#265 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,458 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Hey elvis15......I enjoy responding to your posts and discussing things but I find it very annoying the way you always multipost and then post a huge wall of text to a bunch of different people. I don't have the patience to edit through your entire massive post to find whatever you were directing at me...;)

#266 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

I'm sorry, but why would Florida want Luongo or Ballard back? They don't have the money to pay their contracts, nor do they have any use for them. They're last in the league, and they're going for Mackinnon or Jones.

Being last in the league doesnt guarantee you a top pick anymore...Every team that misses the playoffs has an equal chance of getting the first over all pick ....starting this years draft. Florida cant afford to tank a season, they have to play well to keep their fans interested. It showed in Dallas last year...they used to sell out every game when the Stars were winning, when they struggled the fans stopped showing up. Flordia had a great year last year, made the playoffs...and had a good fan base. They need to keep that fan base to survive...
Life is short, LIVE IT

#267 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,550 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

Franson has 13 points in 21 games playing 16 min per game.......You don't see how being placed in an offensive role and on the PP has helped his confidence in even strength play as well?

Since the rest of our D have completely and totally done zero on the PP for several games now, you would not try a different guy to see if he can produce? Then you will get along great with AV.

Hey, you specifically mentioned the PP time he was getting ("16 min per game but over 2 on the PP") and that he was "producing like crazy with it." Ballard has been averaging more TOI than Franson at even strength, so if the majority of Franson's points are from even strength, then shouldn't Ballard have at least similar opportunity?

They may not play with exactly the same level of players, but with the Canucks spreading the minutes more, Ballard is going to get at least some opportunity at decent minutes in the offensive zone, which we've seen in the games.

My point is, you're making it sound like if Ballard got Franson's minutes with the Leafs and Franson got Ballard's minutes here, their stats lines would be reversed. Ballard would be producing like crazy there and Franson would have one assist here (or something similar enough). But I'm saying Ballard hasn't show that is a given, and he's had some opportunity at least to prove it yet hasn't taken advantage.

Like I said before, I guess we don't need to keep going back and forth on this - we disagree on how effective Ballard could be with this team or any other team with better situational minutes.

And I'd go so far as to say I support that, but it can get tough to start swapping D partners around in different situations. It can mess with the lines and cause issues if you aren't careful.

He's had some time this year as well, and while not looking bad, didn't produce anything of note either. It was a small sample size though, I'd consider more how deserving he might be with how he's playing in the rest of his minutes.

#268 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

Reasonable opinions, although I disagree since Hamhuis leads our D in PP points so far. I can see the need for a puck carrier and respect that you don't like Edler in that role, even agree to some extent, but then carrying the puck up ice isn't the only role on the PP.

He has had PP time, and not just as a throw in - he and Tanev were rewarded with regular PP shift earlier this season and saw some time there. I don't have the insight to why he wasn't tried more in the past, or what they saw that took him off when he did get chances, but I haven't seen anything myself that suggests he's better for it than the others.

I'm trying to remember what game they started to switch Ballard and Tanev around. You saying Tanev's only had one more point than Ballard in the time they played together suggests it was before the Feb 4 Van/Edm game. If so, that's true enough. Even still, essentially calling Tanev more of a designated puck mover doesn't hold water for me, and Ballard has to at least shoulder some of the responsibility for not doing it as well as Tanev is.

Spreading the ice-time around in a shortened season makes sense. It isn't a penalty to one player to give another a different look depending on your opponent. i wasn't bothered by Ballard sitting against LA but 2 games in a row makes zero sense based on play. Ballard doesn't deserve to be benched based on his play. If you want to cycle the other 7/8 guys in then great but it is being handled poorly IMO.

You can save each other player 30 seconds here and there to provide your other players a chance and a look. Incentive.

I've not argued that Ballard shouldn't bear some responsibility when he is playing poorly. I am holding the coaching staff to account for not rewarding him when he plays well.

My point is, you're making it sound like if Ballard got Franson's minutes with the Leafs and Franson got Ballard's minutes here, their stats lines would be reversed. Ballard would be producing like crazy there and Franson would have one assist here (or something similar enough). But I'm saying Ballard hasn't show that is a given, and he's had some opportunity at least to prove it yet hasn't taken advantage.

And wally and I are arguing that we don't know because we haven't seen it tried. Not to a reasonable sample to make an informed judgement.

Edited by theminister, 04 March 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#269 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,550 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Hey elvis15......I enjoy responding to your posts and discussing things but I find it very annoying the way you always multipost and then post a huge wall of text to a bunch of different people. I don't have the patience to edit through your entire massive post to find whatever you were directing at me... ;)

And I apologize for that, I think it's easier than seeing 3-4 posts from someone in a row. I just use Ctrl-F to search for 'elvis' in the page somewhere unless I actually read through. Here's a separate one for you though.

Edited by elvis15, 04 March 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#270 Justin6Schultz

Justin6Schultz

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

Ballards agent probably wanted to hash out a few details with MG.....like who is gonna drive Ballard to the airport

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.