The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Review: HAS our drafting/development Actually Improved Under Gillis?

TOMapleLaughs

Saying our drafting sucks is one thing, but lets see what kind of quality proceeded our recent 1st round picks

2009:

22nd overall Jordan Schroeder:

Unanimously better players picked in the next 10 spots?

- Marcus Johansson (Ryan O'Reilly went 11 spots after)

2010:

25th overall traded

High quality players between 25-25?

- Evgeny Kuznetsov, Charlie Coyle (Faulk went 37th)

2011:

29th overall Niklas Jensen

Other players with solid upside 10 picks after?

- Ty Rattie, Rickard Rakell, Boone Jenner (Brandon Saad went 43rd)

2012:

26th overall Brendan Gaunce

Too early to really gauge much, but Matt Finn looks like a steal.

I mean when your constantly getting bottom-5 picks you don't have a whole lot of high end talent to work with....

Obviously I would have taken Marcus Johansson, or Ryan O'Reilly (in hindsight), and you could make a case for Rattie/Jenner > Jensen but most teams typically strike our between 25-35 overall pick. Its really 80% scouting 20% luck at that point.

It's tough to judge the drafting of Mike Gillis because since he's been GM, the team has perennially been one of the best in the league.

Since then, only one player (Schroeder) has made it to the NHL, but as I said, the Canucks have perennially been a top team so you can't hold that against the rest of their prospects. At least we've seen pretty much the entire crop of players from the 2009 draft get to the AHL. Perhaps that's a pretty low standard, but it's still an improvement on the state of the organization's development under Nonis.

I am gonna say what Gillis has brought mainly has been mainly a new way of scouting the Canucks team and putting certain players in very focused roles. Malhotra Hansen the Sedins and CoHo anong others have very lopsided minutes in terms of zone starts and quality of opposition. They invest a ton of money in nutritionists trainers psychiatrists team building and so on I would say MG is one of the best at managing the players he does have the jury is still our on weather or not he can pull off a trade to put us over the top.

since this got deleted in the other thread im gonna post it here:

Even teams that dont have high draft picks still seem to draft guys that can contribute and fairly early on aswell.

Chicago drafted andrew shaw in the 5th round, 54 points in 66gp. Played in the nhl the year after his draft 2011-2012 37gp 23pts

we drafted ludwig blumstrond in the 4th round instead of maybe grabbing shaw.

This is one example off the top of my head. But thats how a good scouting staff can snag you a later pick who turns out good and can contribute...even teams that dont have high draft picks still seem to draft guys that can contribute and fairly early on aswell.

Chicago drafted andrew shaw in the 5th round, 54 points in 66gp. Played in the nhl the year after his draft 2011-2012 37gp 23pts

This is one example off the top of my head. But thats how a good scouting staff can snag you a later pick who turns out good and can contribute...

oh I agree TOmaple laughs

Problem is I dont wanna hear excuses say because we win the presidents trophy we cant draft good players. Chicago has Saad and Shaw playing and they were drafted less than 2 years ago. Didnt they just win the cup not too long ago?

Finishing high in the regular season means you wont get a top 15 pick. Doesnt mean you cant trade up, or draft good prospects late in the 1st round and in later rounds. Other teams seem to be able to do it. We have a crapty history of 2nd and 3rd round picks for the most part like someone posted, 15 years and 1 nhler from each of those rounds or something?

We have drafted alot of europeans, I cant even find their stats info on hockeydb on some of them. Are they ever going to come to north america to get use to the nhl size arenas and play in the AHL?

Anton Rodin has, and I thought it was a good pick at the time, he has played 100 games in the AHL and has 40 points, thats not terrible, but I would have expected more from him.

Had a few laughs at your statistically-driven-yet-unjustified post.

Gillis' drafting has fairly poor but better than Burke and Nonis (given what he had to play with), but ultimately too premature for discussion imo. That said, I think what Gillis has done outside of the draft has been extraordinary (whether he led the effort or not) and his patience and whatnot is key.

In hindsight, it is easy for us (incl. myself) to say his draft picks were poor. But, what I dislike most is:

- 2009: 22nd Pick. Drafts 5"8 two-way semi-offensive center. Agree with me or not - that height differential is a clear disadvantage. He is not the next Tyler Ennis. Or, at least go with Marcus Johannson if you really wanted a center. Filled with uncertainty, height and size are indefinite must-have parameters (in most cases); at the very least, if you have height/size, you are a packageable asset in a trade, etc. Schroeder imo is not, and will not be unless at a discount (or until he's 100% 3rd-line center and proven - some would argue he's close).

- If we draft anyone without these key parameters or variables, they better damn well be a top-notch quarterback-puck-moving d-man, unprecedented forward skills, or something equivalent... so far Gillis has NOT done that - to be critical.

- And not to mention, the farther you go down the draft, if I see anyone below 6"0, I just shake my head... you have to discount a player's skill and count on factors that are certain.

And on a positive note, his 2011 draft year (1st round) was definitely his best yet.

Key Drafting:

• Height > 6"0

• Weight: Not too Light/ Heavy

• Nationalities: Generalizing, but do not draft too many Canadians or Americans or any nationality, need to diversify skill/grit as much as where a player's upbringing is.

• Importance on Fixed+Known Variables: As you go to higher rounds, uncertainty increases. Information is less accurate. Scouting isn't as prominent. For example, we would be happy if we got a 6"3 3rd/4th liner from a 4th or 5th round after x number of draft pick attempts in this round-range. But, if we are gambling on a 5"11 165 kid with the same level of uncertainty, we better damn well be convinced of his abilities...

The Canucks don't have one impact/scoring forward on their roster who was brought in by Gillis via free agency,trade or draft.

AV is a scapegoat. He actually gets more out the talent the Canucks have then he should. The Canucks just aren't that talented.

Booth is a overpaid/overrrated floater and Gillis has a good knack of finding players off bad teams who have somewhat productive years there simply because they are the focal points on those bad teams(ie. they get all the power play time and top line minutes)

Gillis is a complete and utter failure as a GM. Mark my word if AV is fired the Canucks will get worse.

since this got deleted in the other thread im gonna post it here:

Even teams that dont have high draft picks still seem to draft guys that can contribute and fairly early on aswell.

This is one example off the top of my head. But thats how a good scouting staff can snag you a later pick who turns out good and can contribute...even teams that dont have high draft picks still seem to draft guys that can contribute and fairly early on aswell.

This is one example off the top of my head. But thats how a good scouting staff can snag you a later pick who turns out good and can contribute...

I agree smashian, dont get me wrong. But I would like to see our european draft picks come over to north america as it is a different ice surface and game over here. Tommernes is 22 years old and still playing in europe. How long do we keep him over their?

I would like to see us draft more canadians, its not a biased or anything. But we live in a hockey crazed nation, its close and easy for our scouts to go and watch them. Since this 2013 draft is suppose to be the best in 10 years, I would like to see MG try to either obtain another 1st round pick thats higher, or trade up and try to grab either a sniper or a good right handed d man. Havent looked at the pre draft reports too much to see who might fit the bill for those positions, and realisitically not talking seth Jones.

IF we could gain a couple extra picks this draft year that would be nice. Ballard and raymond are obvious choices with Booth being an option aswell. Although i really liked the game he played last night driving the puck to the net. We also have a goalie to move. So out of these options we can gain a few picks, and still acquire a piece for a cup run this year

Archived