The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sick and tired of all that "bad/biased officiating" excuses

Guest Gorby

i think you may be misremembering what happened when marchand punched sedin in the face repeatedly. he received a 2 min roughing penalty (the deterrent you were speaking about), and a ten minute misconduct (though to be fair, the game was basically over at that point). what else should they have done? you can't suspend someone for that.

Auger was a joke, and thus he had a relatively short NHL career, and was definitely pushed out of the league. he also had incidents not only with the canucks or burrows.

obviously the refereeing is inconsistent, but i don't see much evidence that there's any particular bias against the canucks. the canucks are pretty much in the middle of the pack in terms of penalty minutes per game, and they have the 6th most powerplay time. is it really so skewed? think they should be #1 in PP mins and #30 in PIMs?

and what about the bruins, since you mentioned them, or a couple other of the conspiracy theory teams. why do they have some of the least power play time and most penalty minutes?

inconsistency sucks, but it's not directed at any one in particular. i'm not happy with the "oh it'll even out" mentality either, and i think the league needs to make some rule changes that will enable to referees to do their job more satisfactorily.

Why weren't the refs right in there, like they were when our guys went for Keith? Why did they allow it to go on without an immediate reaction? I remember that it was BS, because they were in our crease after the whistle and the refs rather gingerly applied themselves in the situation. One of the top players in the league, and they allow it to go on post whistle? Those two stood toe to toe for several seconds before a ref even noticed them...a big derp to them for that. And they always made sure things evened up with our team also heading to the box.

The tone had been set already...I do remember, distinctly.

As to the Bruins' penalty minutes...that's obvious. Because they're goons and the refs can't ignore everything...but they do allow for some dirt and if you think theyre called for everything, you're wrong.

Obviously, because it's getting out of hand and they can't ignore it any longer with other teams also speaking up. But they don't consistently do their job and send the message that the post whistle and other crap won't be tolerated, which should have been the case with Daniel. Don't you remember not long ago that declaration being made? I do.

As for the PP time for us - so we're in the top 1/5 in the league ... we're also a fast team where hooks and trips are often used to slow us down so the penalties that play in our favour are usually pretty obvious. I'll be delving into that further (later), to comment further...

Every single time Canucks lose a game, the most common "explanation" one can read on CDC is whining about how wrong (or biased) the officiating was or how bad calls occurred. Crap. We don't lose because of referees. If we lost, it was because the opponents outplayed us and scored more goals than we did. Referees are people, they do make mistakes. Bad calls are part of the game and they need to be handled and overcomed in the same way as opponent's forwards, defensemen and goalies. The players know it, the coaching staff knows it...only, who apparently doesn't, are crybabies from CDC.

Please, stop with that BS and act like men. No one likes a whiner.

Greetings from Prague, Czech Republic, Europe.

The following Canucks TAKE significantly more penalties than they DRAW over 60 mins

(Taken/Drawn)

- Kevin Bieksa - 1.5/.9

- Max Lapierre - 1.4/.3

- Alex Burrows - 1.3/.7

- Jason Garrison - 1.1/0 (the 0 is really just an outlier over a short sample)

Players who draw significantly more penalties

David Booth - 3.3/0 (another outlier due to sample size)

Dale Weise - 1/2.1

Ryan Kesler - .6/1.9 (again, outlier, last year was 1/.6)

Daniel Sedin - .4/1.4

Alex Edler - .4/.9

Last year, Kesler and Alberts were the only regulars who took significantly more penalties than they drew.

yeah i just really don't see that incident as being a good example of league bias. all the players were tied up except for sedin and marchand for the first few seconds. the refs obviously have their hands tied with those altercations. the linesmen are in the middle of it separating people, and the refs, as they're supposed to do, are watching for penalties (à la biting/eye gouging etc...). refs aren't even really supposed to step in at any point, but regardless.... daniel ends up next to marchand, who grabs his sweater and after a couple seconds begins to punch him in the face repeatedly. a few seconds later, the ref arrives and assesses a penalty to marchand. sedin did not need protection here. he's a big boy, marchand's a little pest, and he could have skated away at any point (or, punched him back, and take a retaliatory penalty, since the game was lost anyway). i really just don't see it as being that bad. also, as discussed above, marchand was penalized. what else could the ref had done to show that after the whistle crap wouldn't be allowed?

and as far as the current PP/PIM thing goes, i understand why physical teams tend to receive more penalties, while fast teams draw them, and i think the current distribution represents a relatively fair overall picture of the league. what distresses me is the inconsistency from game to game, rather than from team to team. i don't see the bruins as being humongously more dirty than the rest of the league, or the canucks as being so much cleaner than average.

finally, random question, but how is it that you can edit without indicating it? i could have sworn your text changed, but then again, i haven't slept in 35 hours.

People do need to tone it down a bit. Every team every year gets bad calls against them you have to at some level learn to live with that. The other thing is when you complain at the top of your lungs for every little thing your complaints start to have less meaning. Save the complaints for the times you are really frustrated or the calls are exceptionally bad.

No one is perfect but if you find yourself blaming the ref for every single loss it's probably a bit much.

I don't even want to get consistent officiating. I want PUBLIC ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF MISTAKES by referees during critical moments of a game. Sick and tired of moron refs getting no PUBLIC accountability.

hmmm just because he's in the Czech Republic doesn't mean he knows nothing about the sport... i grew up abroad a watched a ton of north american hockey with satellite TV/internet feeds.

not to mention that having a KHL team in his town probably gives him a decent comparison tool for the refereeing aspect.

You know, im getting tired of people who dont place blame where it is merrited.

No, the refs alone are not resppnsible for the canucks record right now.. the Canucks are. That being said, how anyone can use this argument to give the officiating in this league a pass is beyond me. People keep saying "its like that for every team".. and thats correct.. so wtf does that have to do with fans that rightfully complain about how poor the officiating has become?

It has become totally abysmal over the last five seasons yet there is always a swath of people who feel its inappropriate to ever say anything bad about anyone, whether its the refs, AV, MG, the league etc..

Bottom line all the league has to do is improve the calibre of the officiating and people like myself wont feel pissed off at what they see game after game around the nhl.. but when the officiating is terrible and it influences the outcome of games and seems to be called based on some stigma of game management, you better beleive that people will catch on and be upset with it.. you people who complain about being tired of reading complaining the officiating should be quiet and DEAL with it.. people have every right to be displeased with this league and how its handling things like discipline, officiating etc.. if you dont like it thats too effing bad.. suck it up or leave the forums its that simple

Have you heard of lurking variables? The game is different now compared to then. The game is also a lot more physical now which increases the difficulty of making all the "right" calls. Ref a game now and ref a game then. Let's see if you can call every single penalty right now by yourself.

Saying that I am right, then saying the opposite of what I said doesn't make sense. And you sound like one of those people who blame the refs when your "team" doesn't win.

The refereeing is atrocious in the recent years, seemingly more so this year. But this is a problem around the league and not with just the Canucks. There is zero accountability on their part. Why do players and coaches get publicly humiliated and fined for their actions yet the officials deal with themselves without any information released to the public? How is it a referee with a history of bad calls still has a job? Why is it anyone who says anything bad about the referees in this league is condemned?

To me, they are waaaay to protected. Coddled like little school kids who are sheltered from any criticism. If a cop is always convicting the wrong person or not doing their job properly, is it alright for them to continue to enforce the law free of criticism? I think they need to be held more accountable for their actions or at the very least, be able to address the media for their actions.

If you don't see the problem with the poor officiating around the league then you are either a referee for the NHL or you are completely unaware of what consistency really is.

Those that say that the bad calls even out over the season are missing the point. A bad call near the end of a 6-1 blowout is way different than a bad call in a 2-2 game. No excuse for bad reffing, period. I watch alot of giants games and let me say, I've seen far fewer bad calls at junior games (with younger less experienced refs) than I do watching NHL games and that to me is unacceptable. And for those that say that a team has to be good enough to overcome both their opponents and the bad reffing to win, wtf really? I thought we just had to beat the other team? Now we have to beat the refs as well? Why would I want to pay good money to watch a game anymore?

Archived