The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sick and tired of all that "bad/biased officiating" excuses

Guest Gorby

Guest Gorby

Every single time Canucks lose a game, the most common "explanation" one can read on CDC is whining about how wrong (or biased) the officiating was or how bad calls occurred. Crap. We don't lose because of referees. If we lost, it was because the opponents outplayed us and scored more goals than we did. Referees are people, they do make mistakes. Bad calls are part of the game and they need to be handled and overcomed in the same way as opponent's forwards, defensemen and goalies. The players know it, the coaching staff knows it...only, who apparently doesn't, are crybabies from CDC.

Please, stop with that BS and act like men. No one likes a whiner.

Greetings from Prague, Czech Republic, Europe.

Every single time Canucks lose a game, the most common "explanation" one can read on CDC is whining about how wrong (or biased) the officiating was or how bad calls occurred. Crap. We don't lose because of referees. If we lost, it was because the opponents outplayed us and scored more goals than we did. Referees are people, they do make mistakes. Bad calls are part of the game and they need to be handled and overcomed in the same way as opponent's forwards, defensemen and goalies. The players know it, the coaching staff knows it...only, who apparently doesn't, are crybabies from CDC.

You obviously don't ever watch the NHL. The officiating in the league is BUSH. Take a look at the NFL or basketball, heck even the MLB, and you will notice officiating that far surpasses the NHL. It isn't only against the Canucks, but poor and biased reffing happens a lot against us.

Were the officiating in this league better the NHL would be sooooooo much better.

Last nights game against Calgary was ruined by the refs, something the refs do all the time. A game is going great, super exciting, and then they make a bone head call either by mistake or just so they can (they think) make it more exciting, when really all they are doing is ruining it.

You may think everyone is crying but I for one am sick of the officiating in this league, whether it works for, or against us.

Alright here we go,

It's not just Canucks games that are ref'd like 2 year olds (actually, shouldn't be dissing 2 year olds), other games around the league are ref'd like crap as well. And yes, the ref can determine the outcome of the game.

Guest Gorby

Jester13> Yes, it was the last game against CGY that made me to start with this topic. Tremendous amount of whining when CGY scored a goal after AV's penalty. But...we didn't lose because of refs. We lost because we were not able to shred the 3rd-string team to pieces for 58 previous minutes. For whatever reason.

Sorry. I come from a country where there was a HUGE affair about REALLY biased officiating in soccer (including corruption etc.). Even in THAT case teams were able to overcome this. And it is a damn difference to have bad calls in a sport where no or single goal in the whole match are quite normal when comparing to hockey.

And as you mentioned - the bad calls/errors are affecting all teams. Not only us. They are simply part of the game. Please, accept defeats, take lessons. Do not cry.

Me too. Have been for years but it seems like no other organizatin or city likes to blame the refs for the loss like Vancouver does. Some accountability would be nice. And I'm not saying refs aren't incompetent at times because hell yes they are. But EVERY team deals with them and it all evens out in the end. Good teams can over come a bad penalty or two. Blaming the refs for every loss is weak and the easy way out.

Maybe you don't see enough games but it has been this way since the Boston game last January.

Canucks went on the offence pre-game suggesting that the refs had a job to do and they expected them to do it (Henrik) as in call a penalty a penalty. Refs actually called an even game and the Canucks made them pay and got the W.

Afterwards the Bruins players, coaches, fans, MEDIA, and OWNERSHIP hit the PR circuit and tried to discredit the victory and the Canucks approach of make them pay on the power play.

SInce that very day PP chances for the Canucks are down. Chinzy call against are up. And phantom calls come out of nowhere against the Canucks while obvious calls (Kieth's flying elbow to Sedin's head) don't get called.

Canuck fans also have long memories. We recall the explanation as to Rome's strange SCF suspension. The hit was a fraction too late, they said so they gave him the equivalent of 15 games. So in last night's game when GoonGratting runs our star player 3 seconds after the puck is gone and there is no call it is infuriating.

Meanwhile a small tug on the stick and off we go to the box. Game after game after game. Calgary's coach can jump up and down like a monkey and swear like a sailor and the refs think nothing of it. Our coach says 6 words and boom that's two, even with the game on the line. WHICH ALMOST NEVER HAPPENS.

Brown and Kopitar can dive all over the place all day long. Never an embellishment call. Danny gets tripped on a breakaway. See you later that's 2 for embellishing.

Guest Gorby

coyotecanuck> Oh, come on! You are merely describing situations that happened and influenced our performance in a negative way. Yes, they did. Nobody denies it. What I am saying, good team is able to move over (which Canucks actually do) and fans should do the same.

When you "make a mistake" on the job, it's explainable.

When you make constant mistakes and do your job inconsistently, you're generally warned and likely fired over time. Explanations quickly become excuses.

So, no, "human error" has it's limits. Time for competence to prevail, and that hasn't been the case.

Me too. Have been for years but it seems like no other organizatin or city likes to blame the refs for the loss like Vancouver does. Some accountability would be nice. And I'm not saying refs aren't incompetent at times because hell yes they are. But EVERY team deals with them and it all evens out in the end. Good teams can over come a bad penalty or two. Blaming the refs for every loss is weak and the easy way out.

I will stop 'crying' over the bad games when the refs actually call a game fairly....so like never! For all of you who are saying its not happening in Vancouver its happening everywhere well doesn't that fact alone prove that there is a major problem in the NHL regarding officiating? Regardless of other factors (the team was playing badly anyways etc) if a ref manupilates the outcome of the game by handing out fake penalties it is cheating and it should no longer be accepted! You say you are sick of the whinning over the refs well OP I am sick of watching my team lose because of game mangement!

The inconsistency is horrible. I just read Kerry Frasers answer to this, and it just incensed me even more.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417373

I usually disagree with posts that start out like "this is the new WWE", but today, I am at least a little in agreement. I do not understand a reffing system where there is no accountability for the ref. It is mind boggling.

And what it actually makes me feel is disheartened and discouraged. For the collective group of players, owners and league officials to expect us to put the lockout debacle behind us and then to present us with this product, is a violation of my intelligence and patience as a fan.

I love the game, but truthfully tune much of the game out now when watching because it just gets my dander up to a level of ridiculousness over the blatant bias in the refs calls.

A sad, sad fan.

Guest Gorby

OK, let me ask you this way: How many of you do some sort of a (team)sport where there are refs in place? And if you do - when was the last time coach came into the locker room after you lost a game and said "Hey, we've lost 'cause of refs. If there were no bad calls, we would win."

Again. Players should be (and they actually are) able to move over errors in calls. You should be too.

Archived