The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sick and tired of all that "bad/biased officiating" excuses

Guest Gorby

coyotecanuck> Oh, come on! You are merely describing situations that happened and influenced our performance in a negative way. Yes, they did. Nobody denies it. What I am saying, good team is able to move over (which Canucks actually do) and fans should do the same.

Jester13> Yes, it was the last game against CGY that made me to start with this topic. Tremendous amount of whining when CGY scored a goal after AV's penalty. But...we didn't lose because of refs. We lost because we were not able to shred the 3rd-string team to pieces for 58 previous minutes. For whatever reason.

Sorry. I come from a country where there was a HUGE affair about REALLY biased officiating in soccer (including corruption etc.). Even in THAT case teams were able to overcome this. And it is a damn difference to have bad calls in a sport where no or single goal in the whole match are quite normal when comparing to hockey.

And as you mentioned - the bad calls/errors are affecting all teams. Not only us. They are simply part of the game. Please, accept defeats, take lessons. Do not cry.

Me too. Have been for years but it seems like no other organizatin or city likes to blame the refs for the loss like Vancouver does. Some accountability would be nice. And I'm not saying refs aren't incompetent at times because hell yes they are. But EVERY team deals with them and it all evens out in the end. Good teams can over come a bad penalty or two. Blaming the refs for every loss is weak and the easy way out.

With all the bs calls in the NHL, this should be brought up at the next gm meetings. Right now the quality of officiating is making all games painful to watch, not just Canuck games. There's definitely some bias for certain organizations in the league. At this rate there will be more fans tuning out games if this crap is still being served up come playoff time. It would be nice if one set of rules were the same for every team instead of the select few.

OK, let me ask you this way: How many of you do some sort of a (team)sport where there are refs in place? And if you do - when was the last time coach came into the locker room after you lost a game and said "Hey, we've lost 'cause of refs. If there were no bad calls, we would win."

Again. Players should be (and they actually are) able to move over errors in calls. You should be too.

Well, again, difference being that this is a multi billion dollar industry (I think) and not your local beer league competition. These are people's careers, not their leisure activities. So - no comparison.

And sure, they can get over it...by hammering and cheap shotting the teams getting away with doing that to them...but guess what? The refs then step in. So overcome it how exactly? Bottom line, the refs need to at least be consistently inconsistent and not hammer us with ridiculous punishment in ridiculous calls.

I usually don't have beef with he refs..it usually evens out.I must admit that after the Detroit game and the Calgary game I'm a bit cheesed off.The referees decided the outcomes of both games with phantom calls.

I can completely understand AV's frustration with the referees....It was non abusive..To call that with 8 minutes to go in the third period,in a tied game..it's beyond me.....Watoching the replay ,you can clearly hear AV yell...at that juncture in the game,a penalty...?..seriously.

Every single time Canucks lose a game, the most common "explanation" one can read on CDC is whining about how wrong (or biased) the officiating was or how bad calls occurred. Crap. We don't lose because of referees. If we lost, it was because the opponents outplayed us and scored more goals than we did. Referees are people, they do make mistakes. Bad calls are part of the game and they need to be handled and overcomed in the same way as opponent's forwards, defensemen and goalies. The players know it, the coaching staff knows it...only, who apparently doesn't, are crybabies from CDC.

Please, stop with that BS and act like men. No one likes a whiner.

Greetings from Prague, Czech Republic, Europe.

I think a lot of people here don't understand how difficult it is to referee hockey compared to any other professional sport.

the refereeing is bad, it's true. but the persecution complex here is ridiculous. just go look at any game day thread, or any suspension thread. no matter what happens, in some way it's the league attacking the canucks. if the canucks lose, it's because of the refs (and occasionally the goaltending).

bad calls go against anyone and everyone on any given day. i think the league needs to find better ways to train the referees, but that's very difficult. i would like to see some of your suggestions on how we can make the refs better. you guys always throw around buzzwords like 'accountability', but never anything concrete. what are you going to do, fire, suspend, humiliate referees if they make a bad call? you realize there aren't enough referees as it is right? have you seen the level of refereeing in the AHL? NCAA? juniors? it sucks.

I think a lot of people here don't understand how difficult it is to referee hockey compared to any other professional sport.

the refereeing is bad, it's true. but the persecution complex here is ridiculous. just go look at any game day thread, or any suspension thread. no matter what happens, in some way it's the league attacking the canucks. if the canucks lose, it's because of the refs (and occasionally the goaltending).

bad calls go against anyone and everyone on any given day. i think the league needs to find better ways to train the referees, but that's very difficult. i would like to see some of your suggestions on how we can make the refs better. you guys always throw around buzzwords like 'accountability', but never anything concrete. what are you going to do, fire, suspend, humiliate referees if they make a bad call? you realize there aren't enough referees as it is right? have you seen the level of refereeing in the AHL? NCAA? juniors? it sucks.

How many "bad officiating" threads are really necessary?

Technically the penalty expired before the goal was scored so it goes in the books as a good kill (and sadly for Booth the quickest minus in the history of the game).

Rewind to 7uon8o's "i didn't have my legs under me" Mcshoftie glove non-save on Cammy's wrister and recommence the whining.

Good teams (like the 2011 Canucks) always find a way to win. This team stopped skating in the 3rd and that alone is the reason for the loss.

Cue the violins.

How many "bad officiating" threads are really necessary?

Technically the penalty expired before the goal was scored so it goes in the books as a good kill (and sadly for Booth the quickest minus in the history of the game).

Rewind to 7uon8o's "i didn't have my legs under me" Mcshoftie glove non-save on Cammy's wrister and recommence the whining.

Good teams (like the 2011 Canucks) always find a way to win. This team stopped skating in the 3rd and that alone is the reason for the loss.

Cue the violins.

I for one am sick and tired of the idiots who turn a blind eye to the obvious blatant bias against the Canucks. It is happening EVERY game. Not once a week, not once a blue moon but EVERY game. To say that is isn't happening is sheer stupidity, and to say that this isn't playing a part in the team's losses is complete idiocy.

Take your head, get it out of the sand and wake up.

Archived