The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sick and tired of all that "bad/biased officiating" excuses

Guest Gorby

Stephane Auger and Denis Morel, to name just two off the top of my head, say hi. Both were let go for inconsistent work at the peak of their careers.

I'm 100% with Gorby on this one. The problem with the Canucks management constantly complaining about the refs is that it casts aspersions on the inner workings of the league. When the team's fanbase gets on board and fired up by the team's management's accusations you end up with events like the Stanley Cup riot. .........

There is a little devil in me that wishes that, suddenly, the refs would call EVERY SINGLE LITTLE INFRACTION in EVERY SINGLE GAME just to see the reaction of all the ref whiners when NHL games turn into endless 3 on 3 shinny games due to never ending power plays. You think it's bad now? It would be so much worse, no flow, no 3rd or 4th lines, constant stoppages in play, no hitting whatsoever, no stellar defensive plays and endless frustration for both players and fans. The only Canuck games this year where there was no whining about the refs were the ones where we got vastly more PP than our opponents. Who knew?

There is a little devil in me that wishes that, suddenly, the refs would call EVERY SINGLE LITTLE INFRACTION in EVERY SINGLE GAME just to see the reaction of all the ref whiners when NHL games turn into endless 3 on 3 shinny games due to never ending power plays. You think it's bad now? It would be so much worse, no flow, no 3rd or 4th lines, constant stoppages in play, no hitting whatsoever, no stellar defensive plays and endless frustration for both players and fans. The only Canuck games this year where there was no whining about the refs were the ones where we got vastly more PP than our opponents. Who knew?

Don't paint all fans with the same brush, there was one game in the playoffs against L.A, and I thought and even said in the GDT that L.A. should have had 2 more PP's on missed calls. My gripe with officiating is no consistancy, I don't want every little thing called, but Brian McGratton shouldn't get three cracks at our players heads before finally getting called. And just because the Canucks had major diving issues 2 years ago doesn't mean you continuosly punish them for it now when they're few and far between.

The Canucks are still diving and embellishing like crazy; sorry but it's true. It has been a team strategy for years now.

On a lighter note if the refs called every play that John Garrett said was a penalty we would have 40 PP's a game to the opposition's zero.

I would disagree on the diving we dive no more then Montreal and less than Chicago and LA right off the top of my head. Not saying the Canucks are perfect but way less diving then there was 2 years ago. Anyone looking objectively can see that.

One of the smartest thread creators on CDC. I wholeheartedly agree with him. You guys are a bunch of whiners. And reffing isn't easy, I would like to see some of you try it. A play can happen in one second. But you can't see everywhere in the game. Can you turn your head within the second? If you don't see the play, how can you call it?

One of the smartest thread creators on CDC. I wholeheartedly agree with him. You guys are a bunch of whiners. And reffing isn't easy, I would like to see some of you try it. A play can happen in one second. But you can't see everywhere in the game. Can you turn your head within the second? If you don't see the play, how can you call it?

ya, sure it's hard to give a minor to a coach who stood up for half a second and said, " that was an elbow." when the game was tied in the third period with 8 minutes left in game.

sometimes i think people like you would be happy even if the ref shows up and punch a goalie on the face during a pk because "it would make the game more exciting like WWE."

I think a lot of people here don't understand how difficult it is to referee hockey compared to any other professional sport.

the refereeing is bad, it's true. but the persecution complex here is ridiculous. just go look at any game day thread, or any suspension thread. no matter what happens, in some way it's the league attacking the canucks. if the canucks lose, it's because of the refs (and occasionally the goaltending).

bad calls go against anyone and everyone on any given day. i think the league needs to find better ways to train the referees, but that's very difficult. i would like to see some of your suggestions on how we can make the refs better. you guys always throw around buzzwords like 'accountability', but never anything concrete. what are you going to do, fire, suspend, humiliate referees if they make a bad call? you realize there aren't enough referees as it is right? have you seen the level of refereeing in the AHL? NCAA? juniors? it sucks.

1. It's not our job to come up with solutions....the league should review the reffing on occassion.

2. I'm sure your team hasn't had a ref do a pre-game skate with a player, warning them that, basically, they'll get them back (and then follow through on that)

3. How many coaches stand on a bench, yelling after a missed call? And how many have been penalized this week?

thema...cool down with the trolling

The Truth Hurts - they played a clip of AV on the Team...he said "that was an elbow".

First of all, it warrants a penalty for doing that. What if the ref missed a call on Vancouver earlier and was making up for it? I would be ok with that because it would be balanced. And you don't know what AV said exactly. What he says he said and what he actually said is often not the same thing.

Second of all, this is redundant.

I feel so bad for you and anyone that this so called "bad officiating" affects your enjoyment of hockey. First of all, calling it sub-par hockey doesn't make it sub-par hockey. Officiating can't be changed, the rules are there, they have to enforce them. But this enforcing comes with being able to see the play. See my above post. Also like how you assume that I only watch the Canucks. I don't only watch the Canucks I watch whoever's playing when I have time. So I absolutely love how you can assume so much about me from such an ambiguous post. Thanks for being a whiner.

It has been said multiple times, but if AV deserved a bench minor, Hartley should have gotten one. It's about consistency. How can the refs not call bench minors on other coaches, only to suddenly call one on AV?

That is not acceptable. The refs should be better than that, and ignoring an obvious problem won't make the refs better. Your just giving them permission to be blatantly inconsistent.

it warrants a penalty for doing that? and yet other coaches can scream and yell at the refs throughout the whole ???? game with f words and such and nothing would happen to them?

if what AV did warrants a minor, then Tortorella would be ban from hockey like 10 years ago.

it's mind boggling that you could actually look at the other way to this extent..

Archived