The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sick and tired of all that "bad/biased officiating" excuses

Guest Gorby

Obviously, poor or biased officiating could influence the outcome of a game. But, before anyone convinces themselves that the refs are against Vancouver, just imagine, you are a ref, and you consistently give out biased and poor calls. How long are you going to last?

Ok so you will never be able to prove anything but the league does target people in an indirect way....for example.

A couple of years ago Buertuzzi got just shy of 50 goals. We all seen how this was done, by pushing off the defense man banging a well timed pass while the defense man was trying to regain his balance. The next year the league put a stop to it. Bert went to the penalty box every time tried this play and it took him about 25 games to adjust his game accordingly. To be fair this rule manipulation was called on the entire league and we did see other players doing this and getting penalties, but only if it was out right blatant. Bert was getting called every time and I mean every time If he looked like he was gonna do it they blew the whistle on him. I'm surprised that it is not refered to as the Bertuzzi Rule, or two minutes for Berting.

I have noticed that this push off play in front of the net has creped it's way back into the game and become a legitimate hockey play again.

Edit....spelling/punctuation/grammer...pretty much everything...lol

Its funny earlier this year on the team 1040 they were talking about how they discovered that many Soccer games had been fixed...and how that couldn't happen in the NHL...But now i'm starting to wonder with some of these strange calls in the NHL. Just off the top of my head there was the goalie interference call with the Habs where price wasn't even touched, and they called a penalty on Ottawa as well

Anyone who has watched the Canucks knows that after the much publicized Stephane Auger incident the refs have had it in for them.

They don't take too kindly when a member of their fraternity is shown up by a player. It's an old boys club the Canucks have a reputation of divers and embellishers that they can't seem to shake no matter what.

No way they can win the cup with the refs managing the game against them.

Anybody think that ref's should be interviewed and given the chance to explain their side of the reffing experience? I think Ref's should have to be accountable too, just like players and coaches. But maybe there is more reasoning behind things... Not gonna lie I was pretty choked with the reffing that game.

I know in the MLB a few umps will make public apologies for blown calls.

I was at the game on Sunday and while I didn't agree with a lot of calls both ways we actually lost because Calgary took over in the third. Being there live you could see how lifeless a lot of the players were in the third.

I don't think Kerry Fraser has a grudge against the Canucks or anything, I think he's just explaining things they way they are. We should accept his explanation of the bench minor without whining, he's quite clear about the criteria for handing out bench minors to coaches and even offers AV some friendly advice.

Vigneault should heed it.

The following Canucks TAKE significantly more penalties than they DRAW over 60 mins

(Taken/Drawn)

- Kevin Bieksa - 1.5/.9

- Max Lapierre - 1.4/.3

- Alex Burrows - 1.3/.7

Is it a matter of them being undisciplined or not getting the calls going for them and only against them?

The sample size is small, so a fluctuation like this isn't abnormal over 20 games (Booth has drawn 3.3 and taken 0, Ryan Kesler has drawn 1.9 and taken .6.

By years end it should be within a .1-.2 points, but it is a bit alarming to see Burrows and Lapierre taking them at such a high rate.

First of all, it warrants a penalty for doing that. What if the ref missed a call on Vancouver earlier and was making up for it? I would be ok with that because it would be balanced. And you don't know what AV said exactly. What he says he said and what he actually said is often not the same thing.

Second of all, this is redundant.

Yes, it does. By going to 2 refs, the NHL essentially made every guy who should be working the AHL (or lower) an NHL ref. Obviously, a lot of these guys aren`t going to be good. It`s similar to the effect expansion has had on the league; there are more plugs in the league than 20 years ago. In the case of players, at least this was minimized by the increasing number of players coming in from Europe.

Two refs is in theory a good idea, but there are not nearly enough competent individuals to make this a reality.

You`re right, it`s worse than horrible. Unfortunately, board rules prevent me from posting the words to describe the actual level of officiating in the NHL.

I would be happy if there was some accountability. As a team you have to play through the bad calls and win despite them. But a bad call or missed call should be something that rarely happens. But when a ref calls one play and then sees the other team commit the same infraction and lets it go? A penalty is a penalty no matter what jersey does it. No matter if its first minute of a pre season game or last minute of overtime in game 7 of cup final. And there appears to be no accountability for refs not calling games fairly. If a ref didnt see the penalty then ok but when they are looking right at it and they dont call it? That would be like a player having an open net then just throwing the puck backwards. Just do your job evenly and people wont mind the odd time you miss a call.

Not the greatest choice of words but point remains, all teams have gotten screwed over at one point or another. Stop acting like it's some league wide conspiracy to screw the Canucks over. It's ridiculous.

Some of you are delusional. The refs were the reason the Canucks lost the cup? Easy excuse.

Not delusional...sure, in the end physicality, size and goaltending...but you don't realize how the poor reffing, that was glaring at times, "shellshocked" the team. Hancuffed them. Over the past few years, our pushback gets us tossed, penalized and called out. Daniel didn't stand there taking those little girlie punches from Marchand because he was scared - he did it right by the NHL book. And should have been the winner in that deal as a result. But he wasn't - so there's no deterrent not to just slam the guy right in the face. But guess what?...when we do that we lose and draw the short end of the stick.

So yeah, it contributes when one team can weasle, whack and slam their way through to the cup and the other (skilled) team dare not resort to those tactics. Message was sent starting in Chicago (and with Auger) - it's us vs them...them being the refs + teams that they turn a blind eye for.

Sure, the reffing is bad across the board at times and has been inconsistent for everyone...but no one is affected quite like this team in that we can pretty much count on coming out at the bottom in the reffing lottery.

Anyone who watches NHL hockey consistently either see's the total inconsistency and inadequacy in the officiating, or is blind to it, OR, knows dick-all about hockey ..

The time has come to have 1 referee on the ice, two linesmen, and a video referee sitting off ice monitoring the play and aiding with the calls .. if 2 refs on the ice are better than one, why not have 4 refs? .. that would be twice as good .. :rolleyes:

Daniel didn't stand there taking those little girlie punches from Marchand because he was scared - he did it right by the NHL book. And should have been the winner in that deal as a result. But he wasn't - so there's no deterrent not to just slam the guy right in the face. But guess what?...when we do that we lose and draw the short end of the stick.

Message was sent starting in Chicago (and with Auger) - it's us vs them...them being the refs + teams that they turn a blind eye for.

Sure, the reffing is bad across the board at times and has been inconsistent for everyone...but no one is affected quite like this team in that we can pretty much count on coming out at the bottom in the reffing lottery.

Archived