#1 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

Chilliwack Indian restaurants targeted with hateful emails

The RCMP are investigating some disturbing emails sent to the operators of two Indian restaurants in Chilliwack, B.C. last week. Sam Atti, who runs the Shandhar Hut Indian Cuisine, says on Feb. 28 he received an email that said, "Chilliwack is not a place for you."

The sender wrote that Chillliwack doesn't "need the folk from India and Surrey to pollute this city," and "there is a deep longing for you to never appear there again."
Atti's son Paul says during his 28 years growing up in Chilliwack, he has never experienced such overt racism.

The same email was also sent to the only other Indian restaurant in the city, the Bay Leaf Restaurant, according to owner Sumit Guladi.

Guladi says his house was also targeted twice by vandals in recent months.
The RCMP are taking the emails seriously and are investigating the emails as a possible hate crime, according to Cpl. Tammy Hollingsworth.

"Hate crime is something that we're looking more into. Intimidation is certainly a concern for us. There are certain sections of the Criminal Code that this could potentially fall under."

In the meantime the community has rallied around the two restaurant owners and both families say they've received dozens of calls of support since speaking publicly about the emails.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/03/04/bc-chilliwack-indian-restaurant-emails.html

“We Don’t Need Folk From India And Surrey To Pollute Chilliwack,”

Posted Image
Indo-Canadian Restaurateur Disturbed By Hateful, Racist Email

“We are sickened by this and we can’t even stand to look at you. Let us live in peace without having to see your kind here,” says a Chilliwack racist.

CHILLIWACK – Lucky Gulati has owned the Bay Leaf Indian restaurant in Chilliwack for 3 years but has never felt like he wasn’t wanted in the Fraser Valley city until this week.

On Thursday, February 28th, Gulati received an extremely hateful email from a citizen of Chilliwack that has left him disturbed. The man who sent the email can only be identified as “goldenboynix” from his email ID but his real name remains a mystery.

The email reads: “On behalf of the citizens of Chilliwack, we do not want your people here. Your business [will] never succeed here…tell your people this is not a good place for them…there are good people here, good families and we don’t need the folk from India and Surrey to pollute this city.

The long email ends with: “We are trying to get away from you people. Let us be. We understand our government is crap and that’s the reason you come from a 3rd world country with nothing and live here with everything. Paid for by us Canadians out of our tax dollars to support your extended family that never intended to contribute to this country in the first place. We are sickened by this and we can’t even stand to look at you. Let us live in peace without having to see your kind here.
The Gulati family, residents of Chilliwack, received an email early Thursday morning but they have been targeted over the last few weeks by a racist individual or individuals.

Over the last few weeks, the Gulati home has been egged, and one morning, animal bones were left at their front door – all incidents Lucky Gulati said he didn’t take seriously, assuming neighbourhood kids were messing around.

It was only a few days later that they became the victims of a hate crime through their family business. Now the Gulatis fear that the person who has been egging their family home and has sent this hateful email is the same person. Also mysteriously – there is a review on the restaurant’s website that has some of the same racist and hateful language found in the email from “goldenboynix” but with an actual name.

According to the information Chilliwack RCMP has provided Gulati – the sender of the hateful email has allegedly sent the RCMP an email apologizing for his hateful words, citing mental health issues as the reason for his racist rant. No formal apology has been made to restaurant owner Lucky Gulati or his family.

The police has told Gulati that the file is open but has not given him more information on the suspect – who he is or whether he is a neighbour, which makes Gulati fearful of his family’s safety.
Gulati, who think there are more than one suspects who are terrorising him, told the LINK he wants immediate action to have this miscreant suspect charged with hate crime.

“I’m going to go to the mayor, to the Civil Liberties Association and to the local media to highlight this abuse,” Gulati told the LINK. “I’m a successful businessman in this community and have helped create jobs and this is not the way I should be treated.”

“There should be no tolerance for hate crimes, and hate should never be accepted,” says Ken Herar, Link columnist who also writes for Fraser Valley newspapers and is the founder of Cycling for Diversity. “That being said, if the sender of this hateful email is genuinely apologizing to the Gulati family, he or she should be forgiven and both parties should move on.”

The email went viral on Facebook, and many South Asian youth had strong opinions about the content.

“Whoever claims that Chilliwack and Abbotsford is ‘their’ land, they clearly need to take a Canadian history class over again. This is no one’s land, except for the Aboriginal community,” posted Anjneet Panesar. “You are just as much of an immigrant as an East Indian. Just because you’ve been here for a few years longer than some East Indians, doesn’t mean this is your land. Why did your ancestors come here? Do you know what Europe looked like after WWI and WWII, it was a disaster. You can say it was worse than a third world country.”

Anjneet’s parting words to the sender of the email are, “If you ever decide to educate yourself, please take an international development class. You’ll learn that the developed countries now, developed at the cost of third world countries. By living off of another countries riches doesn’t make you superior or rich. And if you don’t realize this than I’m sorry to say, but you’re just a ungrateful coward.

“Although we’re starting to make progress in terms of racial equality in our city, this incident is a reminder that ignorance and hate still exist,” says Shima Ghailan, communications officer at PICS Society, “it’s important that we recognize this isn’t an isolated incident, but it was one that was reported. Hate crimes more often are a product of ignorance and a lack of understanding – We must start building bridges between communities so not only are we able to coexist in a safe space, but we’re able to benefit and gain from each other’s resources and experiences.”

http://thelinkpaper.ca/?p=27104

Chilliwack restaurant owner targeted by racist email claiming people from India and Surrey ‘pollute’ this city

Police in Chilliwack are investigating after the owner of an Indian restaurant was sent an email filled with racial hatred suggesting his “people” should clear out because Chilliwack doesn’t “need folk from India and Surrey to pollute this city.”

The restaurant owner said his home was recently egged, and someone tossed chicken bones on his doorstep several months ago, but at first he wrote those incidents off as teenage pranks. After receiving a chilling message to his private email on Thursday, he says he reported the “chain” of incidents to the RCMP. The owner said he is afraid to have his name published because he fears that could incite more racial targeting of himself and his restaurant, which he has invested $300,000 in.

“We have good customers but some people seem like they are in the 1950s still,” the owner said Saturday. “The racists don’t want me here in Chilliwack. The Supreme Court says racism and hate is a crime, and I think this [message] is harassment. My family is scared.”

The anonymous message writer says he is “well-connected” in Chilliwack, and he assures the owner that no matter how much he invests his restaurant will fail, because South Asians are not welcome in Chilliwack. The hateful email, obtained by The Province, says: “Your people come from a third-world India living in mud houses and drinking cow piss and bathing in milk.

I speak on behalf of citizens of Chilliwack,” the writer says. “Your business is never going to succeed. Tell your people this is not a good place for them.”

There are good people here, good families and we don’t need the folk from India and Surrey to pollute this city,” the writer concludes.

Mehtab Mann, a 21-year-old woman who lives in Chilliwack and is a friend of the owner, said she strongly believes the message writer has committed a hate crime, and should be charged.
“What upsets me most is how there are still people out there in this day in age who are committing such hate crimes,” Mann said. “Canada is known for its multiculturalism, and if you can’t accept that, then maybe this isn’t the place for you.”

Cpl. Tammy Hollingsworth said a Chilliwack RCMP investigator is working on the file after taking a statement from the owner. The owner told The Province he understands that the investigator will recommend turning the case over to the RCMP’s hate crime unit.

“I think it’s too early in the investigation to determine if there will be charges as we are still attempting to determine the identity of the author,” Hollingsworth told The Province. “This person’s comments are very disturbing to all of us.”

Under The Criminal Code of Canada if a judge finds a crime, such as an assault, intimidation, harassment or uttering threats, was motivated by hatred against a person or group because of who they are, tougher sentences can be applied.

Chilliwack, with a population of 92,300 has a much higher majority of white, English mother-tongue speakers than B.C.’s average, according to the 2011 census.

The hateful email, in its language, tone and twisted logic, seems to mirror two extremely negative online reviews against Chilliwack’s only two Indian restaurants. Both reviews were submitted to TripAdvisor.com on Dec. 29, 2012.

While slamming the food and “smell” in both restaurants, the anonymous reviewer says he thinks both restaurants will go out of business in Chilliwack, and both would do better in Surrey.

http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz2McUxAq4t

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#2 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,650 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

So there are racists out there. Ok, do we really need this thread? This just gives these idiots more pr.

#3 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

This is sad. But I believe that this is the work of one individual. I highly doubt that this person "has connections" as it states in the email. Most likely a very confused and ignorant person who is doing all these thing on their own. I hope so anyways.

Now that this is public, I hope that the community rallies around the restaurant owner and makes him feel safe and welcome. Thus showing this sick person that such behaviour is not acceptable.
Posted Image

#4 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

He's a bit emotional over a restaurant, but if you've ever lived in towns like Markham or Brampton, I can see why the letter writer has the attitude he has.

Maybe he's making it too much an issue of trying to escape a race instead of a culture.

Edited by Aleksandr Pistoletov, 04 March 2013 - 05:35 PM.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#5 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,524 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Sad that these rednecks still exist, luckily I don't think they represent Chilliwack as a whole. Glad to see that lots of people have supported the owners.

#6 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

POPULAR

He's a bit emotional over a restaurant, but if you've ever lived in towns like Markham or Brampton, I can see why the letter writer has the attitude he has.

I most assuredly cannot see nay justification for such an attitude and I have been in Markham and Brampton.

Racists and bigots need to be outed and dealt with including those who would defend such abhorrent behaviour.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#7 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

Maybe he's making it too much an issue of trying to escape a race instead of a culture.

What are you trying to say, by the way you have been reported.

#8 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

You don't know what I'm saying but you're reporting me anyways.. no knee jerk there.

I most assuredly cannot see nay justification for such an attitude and I have been in Markham and Brampton.

Racists and bigots need to be outed and dealt with including those who would defend such abhorrent behaviour.

Firstly, I don't know the entirety of what this guy said, so I won't come to a a conclusion about who this guy is like you rabidly do. Secondly, of what was cited, physical characteristics are not something a person can help so it makes little sense to take issues with that. It doesn't make sense to me to get angry over the colour of a person's skin. Thirdly, there certainly is justification for culture disagreements. They are a major root cause of culture based conflicts. If you supposedly lived in Markham and Brampton, and I'm sure everywhere else in the world as you supposedly say you do, you should know this.

Edited by Aleksandr Pistoletov, 04 March 2013 - 05:54 PM.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#9 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

I speak on behalf of citizens of Chilliwack,” the writer says. “Your business is never going to succeed. Tell your people this is not a good place for them.”

There are good people here, good families and we don’t need the folk from India and Surrey to pollute this city,” the writer concludes.

Really? You can see why he has this attitude?

Do tell...
Posted Image

#10 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

You don't know what I'm saying but you're reporting me anyways.. no knee jerk there.

Firstly, I don't know the entirety of what this guy said, so I won't come to a a conclusion about who this guy is like you rabidly do. Secondly, of what was cited, physical characteristics are not something a person can help so it makes little sense to take issues with that. Thirdly, there certainly is justification for culture disagreements.

Actually I know exactly what you are implying...

#11 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

Really? You can see why he has this attitude?

Do tell...

Actually as I've said twice now when it pertains to the culture issue which is in the second link, but feel free to make your own interpretations to suit whatever purpose you have. :lol:

Actually I know exactly what you are implying...

Don't beat around the bush, do tell.

-- Jeff Ross

#12 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

Care to elaborate on this? I'm not sure what you mean.

#13 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

This REALLY doesn't surprise me about Chilliwack. I mean most of BC's small towns are progressive and socially liberal, but Chilliwack is like little Texas. There is a certain conservative culture there, I can't explain it, but for anyone that has spent more time there than just the Big Red Barn, then you should know what I'm talking about.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#14 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

Indians have an aggressive culture that is known for causing conflicts locally where they settle. Hence why I referenced the cities I did. It could be this person has actually lived in a town like that, and wanted to get away from it. It could be they are racist too. Obviously the racism if there makes no sense to me (but that's just my personal thought process that obviously can differ from others' since I don't care for a skin colour difference), but the culture part does.

In this case you're projecting your own views on to this individual. Indian culture isn't inherently known as "aggressive". Anglo Canadians at one points felt the same way about other immigrants who came from other European countries also. Change is inevitable. Hate isn't going to change that.

#15 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

In this case you're projecting your own views on to this individual. Indian culture isn't inherently known as "aggressive". Anglo Canadians at one points felt the same way about other immigrants who came from other European countries also. Change is inevitable. Hate isn't going to change that.

Not as aggressive as, say, Mexicans are with their culture that come into border US states, but culture-wise, indeed are aggressive. As someone who lived in two of these towns for over a decade I saw first hand the conflicts this caused.

Edited about 500 times.

Edited by Aleksandr Pistoletov, 04 March 2013 - 06:14 PM.

-- Jeff Ross

#16 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

POPULAR

White people :sadno:

Wow! So someone stereotypes about Indians and then another person comes back and generalizes about white people! You're no better than the guy who wrote the letter.

#17 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

Not as aggressive as, say, Mexicans are with their culture that come into border US states, but culture-wise, indeed are aggressive. As someone who lived in two of these towns for over a decade I saw first hand the conflicts this caused.

So who would you say are the least aggressive?

#18 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,970 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

Wow! So someone stereotypes about Indians and then another person comes back and generalizes about white people! You're no better than the guy who wrote the letter.

Yet I am white.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#19 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

Hot potato!!!

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#20 Durl Dixsun

Durl Dixsun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

POPULAR

Edited about 500 times.

Just stop posting...

Posted Image

#21 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

So who would you say are the least aggressive?

I wouldn't know. The least aggressive culture-wise tend to simply blend in. Those with dramatically different cultures or those who have notorious resistance to the give-and-take of immigrant assimilation.. those are the ones who create the most conflict. I would say cultures I've seen from India have better assimilation than Mexican culture in the states, but their culture based aggressiveness still causes conflicts which are widely known from people that live in these areas.

Just stop posting...

Bertuzzi Babe is that you?

Edited by Aleksandr Pistoletov, 04 March 2013 - 06:19 PM.

-- Jeff Ross

#22 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,518 posts

Pathetic.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#23 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Yet I am white.

Self-flagellate much!!??

#24 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,970 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

Self-flagellate much!!??

I hate myself.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#25 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

I hate myself.

Naked pirates suck too.

-- Jeff Ross

#26 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

I hate myself.

Me too. I'm also white, was raised this way.

#27 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

POPULAR

Sounds like a right prlck tho Canada's immigration system needs an overhaul.

When I grew up I had neighbours of all different nationalities. They might have been black, Japanese, Dutch, Polish, British, Italian, Greek, Portuguese or Korean amongst others.

Now it's the Chinese, Indian's and Filipino's that make up ~ 70% of all immigrants.

Edited by hudson bay rules, 04 March 2013 - 07:00 PM.

I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#28 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

It's like me old pappy once said to me. "Son, white folks, they're just plumb no good".

"And we is white folk".

I never forgot that lesson.

#29 bryguy26

bryguy26

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

POPULAR

Im a visible minority. I don't like racism but I hate overly sensitive people when it comes to this topic. Just because someone says something about cultural differences doesn't make him a bigot. Their are positives and negatives about every race. That is fact.
Posted Image

#30 ManUtd

ManUtd

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

This REALLY doesn't surprise me about Chilliwack. I mean most of BC's small towns are progressive and socially liberal, but Chilliwack is like little Texas. There is a certain conservative culture there, I can't explain it, but for anyone that has spent more time there than just the Big Red Barn, then you should know what I'm talking about.

Sounds about right. Certain parts of Chilliwack are gigantic hick towns. I actually had some guy go on some weird racist rant to me at the ER waiting room once. It was super uncomfortable and I had absolutely no idea what to say. Pretty sure I just stared at him wishing I could just vanish into thin air.

rsz_avs.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.