The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chilliwack Indian restaurants targeted with hateful emails

key2thecup

Chilliwack Indian restaurants targeted with hateful emails

The RCMP are investigating some disturbing emails sent to the operators of two Indian restaurants in Chilliwack, B.C. last week. Sam Atti, who runs the Shandhar Hut Indian Cuisine, says on Feb. 28 he received an email that said, "Chilliwack is not a place for you."

The sender wrote that Chillliwack doesn't "need the folk from India and Surrey to pollute this city," and "there is a deep longing for you to never appear there again."

Atti's son Paul says during his 28 years growing up in Chilliwack, he has never experienced such overt racism.

The same email was also sent to the only other Indian restaurant in the city, the Bay Leaf Restaurant, according to owner Sumit Guladi.

Guladi says his house was also targeted twice by vandals in recent months.

The RCMP are taking the emails seriously and are investigating the emails as a possible hate crime, according to Cpl. Tammy Hollingsworth.

"Hate crime is something that we're looking more into. Intimidation is certainly a concern for us. There are certain sections of the Criminal Code that this could potentially fall under."

In the meantime the community has rallied around the two restaurant owners and both families say they've received dozens of calls of support since speaking publicly about the emails.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/03/04/bc-chilliwack-indian-restaurant-emails.html

This is sad. But I believe that this is the work of one individual. I highly doubt that this person "has connections" as it states in the email. Most likely a very confused and ignorant person who is doing all these thing on their own. I hope so anyways.

Now that this is public, I hope that the community rallies around the restaurant owner and makes him feel safe and welcome. Thus showing this sick person that such behaviour is not acceptable.

He's a bit emotional over a restaurant, but if you've ever lived in towns like Markham or Brampton, I can see why the letter writer has the attitude he has.

Maybe he's making it too much an issue of trying to escape a race instead of a culture.

You don't know what I'm saying but you're reporting me anyways.. no knee jerk there.

Firstly, I don't know the entirety of what this guy said, so I won't come to a a conclusion about who this guy is like you rabidly do. Secondly, of what was cited, physical characteristics are not something a person can help so it makes little sense to take issues with that. Thirdly, there certainly is justification for culture disagreements.

This REALLY doesn't surprise me about Chilliwack. I mean most of BC's small towns are progressive and socially liberal, but Chilliwack is like little Texas. There is a certain conservative culture there, I can't explain it, but for anyone that has spent more time there than just the Big Red Barn, then you should know what I'm talking about.

Indians have an aggressive culture that is known for causing conflicts locally where they settle. Hence why I referenced the cities I did. It could be this person has actually lived in a town like that, and wanted to get away from it. It could be they are racist too. Obviously the racism if there makes no sense to me (but that's just my personal thought process that obviously can differ from others' since I don't care for a skin colour difference), but the culture part does.

In this case you're projecting your own views on to this individual. Indian culture isn't inherently known as "aggressive". Anglo Canadians at one points felt the same way about other immigrants who came from other European countries also. Change is inevitable. Hate isn't going to change that.

Not as aggressive as, say, Mexicans are with their culture that come into border US states, but culture-wise, indeed are aggressive. As someone who lived in two of these towns for over a decade I saw first hand the conflicts this caused.

Edited about 500 times.

Archived