The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] How good is Nicolas Petan?

Craig Button didn't even have him in his top 30 list until today yet he leads all prospects in pts, and is 3rd in pts/game behind only Jonathon Drouin and Nathan MacKinnon

He's very small (roughly 5'8"/ 5'9") and 165lbs but the numbers don't lie....and it's not like he's just getting assists off very good team mates, he has 44 goals, and 109pts in 66 games this season

Right now he's seeded to go 28th overall, but I see him going at least in the top 15 based on offensive ability

Where do you guys see him going, and what do you think he'll do in the NHL?

http://www.hockeydb.....php?pid=134195

Petan%20NEW%20IMG_0709%20304x2915349.jpg

Offensive ability is high. Although I'm not keen on him.

A comparable would be Ennis, but he is smaller/softer and not as good a skater IMO. Offensive instincts alone won't get him to this league, he might add some more dimensions but the size is a huge drawback for him, as unlike a guy like Schroeder, he isn't particularly stocky and doesn't have added elements aside from the offense. He is someone I would avoid personally.

Offensive ability is high. Although I'm not keen on him.

A comparable would be Ennis, but he is smaller/softer and not as good a skater IMO. Offensive instincts alone won't get him to this league, he might add some more dimensions but the size is a huge drawback for him, as unlike a guy like Schroeder, he isn't particularly stocky and doesn't have added elements aside from the offense. He is someone I would avoid personally.

The next Cory Conacher? From a drafting standpoint I feel like players like him are too much of a gamble for guys like MG. The numbers don't lie though. He's the kind of guy a team will doubtlessly take a flyer on and hope for the best. High second round maybe?

Agreed. At 5'8" and less than 170 lbs, no NHL team is going to take him in the first round, mark my words. I believe his numbers are inflated because he's playing with guys like Leipsic, Rattie, Jones. He's never shown flashes of true brilliance which you need at that size to make an impact in the show.

With 109pts so far this season, are you saying you wouldn't take a chance at taking him where we're probably going to be (25-30th)

Even if he slips into the 2nd rd, Booth+ for a high 2nd rd pick to snag this guy would be huge.

I'll call it right now and say this guy will be a 1st line NHL'er someday. He's only 15lbs away from being acceptable NHL size.

With 109pts so far this season, are you saying you wouldn't take a chance at taking him where we're probably going to be (25-30th)

Even if he slips into the 2nd rd, Booth+ for a high 2nd rd pick to snag this guy would be huge.

I'll call it right now and say this guy will be a 1st line NHL'er someday. He's only 15lbs away from being acceptable NHL size.

Brendan Shinnimin had something like 130 points for TC last year, and this year he's only got 24 in I think 50 games. That's a point every two games, but it's in the AHL. I'm not saying I WOULDN'T take Petan, because clearly the guy has tremendous skill, I'm just saying I wouldn't use a first round pick on the guy.

And don't forget, Petan only had 35 points last season. Which further solidifies the fact that his numbers are inflated because he's playing with a stacked club.

And to moot your last point, he may only be 15 lbs away but he's still a few inches too short :P Can't really use the "St. Louis is short too" argument, because St.Louis was a stud in University hockey, and put up ridiculous numbers. Was a special little guy from day one.

I'd be okay drafting him in the late 2nd or early 3rd. He can work on his skating so that's not a problem. With our team getting larger, I'd be okay with drafting one or two undersized highly skilled guys.

Petan IS good (we all agree). Its hard for people to judge because they just dont see him play... If you guys watch him play, you would worry less about his small size and see that hes reading the plays like a mad man! hes ditching D all the time and hes always finding an open man to pass to.

He IS small, hes more of a right place at the right time kinda player. We call him Nimble Nic because hes up down and all around while reading the plays and developing opportunities. Hes so elusive that its freaky. THAT is why he shot up the ranks.

He was scoring even when he WASNT on the 1st round radar, but the scouting attention that Jones brought us, seemed to give them time to see that Petan WASNT just a tip-in guy. Hes got a brain for the game and i think that is more valuable than a big pylon.

He IS on a stacked team, but guess what... hes a first line center on that stacked team. hes doing something right. =)

Archived