The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks at this years draft

Canuckler87

Hey everyone, I was just wondering about this years draft class after seeing the news today that all 14 non-playoff teams will be eligible for the first overall pick. I highly doubt we will be one of those teams though. Anyways, does anyone know if this year is going to be good draft class? Is it anywhere close to the legendary 2003 draft class? I've heard that mentioned about this year but I personally doubt it.

Also, say if we pick 20-25.. what player would you like see picked up by the canucks? I keep hearing only 3 names (jones, drouin & mackinnon). I'd love the canucks to pick up on offensive d-man. Not sure if there's any in this draft class we could take though or if there'd be any left. Anyways, I just hope Gillis doesn't waste a pick this year on drafting forwards. We already have an abundance in the team, plus the farm (Gaunce, Jensen) Take a defenseman please!

Forgot to mention, I've also heard a lot of good things about Tie Domi's kid. I wonder if he'd still be available when we draft. If so, I'd make an exeption & take him over a D-man for sure!

This year's draft is supposedly the deepest draft since 2003...you couldn't really go wrong in the first round of the 2003 draft, I think almost all of the players in the first round are playing in the NHL right now. I guess it can never be a bad thing to trade up in the draft though

There are only four or five players out of the first round who didn't make any impact whatsoever at the NHL level, the rest of them all spent time or are still in the NHL. Many of them are stars around the league. There will NEVER be a draft quite like the 2003 draft. This year will come close though.

1st Round: Ian McCoshen

(Other possibilites: Valentine Zykov, William Carrier, Kerby Rychel, Curtis Lazar, Robert Hagg)

2nd Round: Marko Dano

(Other possibilites: Jackson Houck, Jordan Subban, Keaton Thompson, Shea Theodore, Linus Arnesson)

3rd Round: Marc-Oliver Roy

(Other possibilites: Jesse Lees, Sergey Tolchinksy, Oliver Bjorkstrand)

4th Round: Jesse Lees

(Other possibilites: Ryan Graves)

Just some guys I have on my radar right now, there are more I have likely forgotten about, but thats just a vague idea of what I would like to see for some of our earlier picks.

For me it's:

1st round: Kerby Rychel, Robert Hagg, Arturri Lehkonen, Madison Bowey (In that order)

2nd round: Jackson Houck (Vancouver Giant)

3rd round: Mason Geertsen (Van giant, big 6'4'' frame)

4th or later: Patrik Bartosak (The sole reason the Czechs were even involved in this past WJC)

Josh Morrissey, D - Prince Albert Raiders - 15-28-43 in 68 games.

Ryan Pulock, D - Brandon Wheat Kings - 14-30-44 in 56 games. (might be a bit too high)

Kerby Rychel, C - Windsor Spitfires - 36-44-80 in 63 games

Anthony Mantha, LW - Val-d'Or Foreurs - 47-39-86 in 62 games

Nicolas Petan, C - Portland Winterharks - 44-65-109 in 66 games WOW

1st round: William Carrier - solid 2 way center (others Lazar, Fucale, Theodore)

2nd round: Jason Dickenson - Comparable to Lecavalier (don`t see us getting him so maybe Subban)

3rd round: Jesse Lees - undersized (6ft 180) fast offensive D might be another Gragnani though, but worth a shot. also a plus 38.

4th round: J.S Dea - Fast player with great hands. Again undersized (6ft 160), but how can you ignore his skill and you can always take him to weight training courses

5th round : Patrik Bartosak - ^^ (The sole reason the Czechs were even involved in this past WJC)

6th round : Jeremy Gregoire - Great Leadership with some skill.

7th round : Tyler Bertuzzi. Another small player (6, 180, think I have a thing for 6ft players). Probably will be a bust. However he has a great work ethic and is a great guy on and off the ice and isn't afraid to drop the gloves against bigger guys. Also his Uncle is Todd Bertuzzi.

My mock draft:

1st round: I have no idea.

2nd round: Less clue than the 1st round.

3rd round: Still no idea.

4th round: Are you kidding me, if I didn't have a clue in the first three rounds what would make you think I'd have a clue now?

5th round: There's five rounds of drafting?

6th round: Holy, how long does this thing go on for?!

7th round: Haha, yeah, I gave up on this draft a long time ago. Who did we get anyways? jk jk, I'll read up on him later on CDC.

:bigblush: mad props to the ones who are really into the drafting tho.

My mock draft:

1st round: I have no idea.

2nd round: Less clue than the 1st round.

3rd round: Still no idea.

4th round: Are you kidding me, if I didn't have a clue in the first three rounds what would make you think I'd have a clue now?

5th round: There's five rounds of drafting?

6th round: Holy, how long does this thing go on for?!

7th round: Haha, yeah, I gave up on this draft a long time ago. Who did we get anyways? jk jk, I'll read up on him later on CDC.

:bigblush: mad props to the ones who are really into the drafting tho.

Archived