The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks at this years draft

Canuckler87

Without sounding like Don Cherry, I hope the Canucks take more players this year out of the WHL and less players from the Q and Europe. My thinking is with good reasoning:

1.Players from the WHL are used to the grinding travel. They spend hours on a bus and often have to play the same day or travel throught the night and play the next day after getting into a city at 2-3 in the morning (sound familiar). This would be a big plus for a westcoast based team for which travel is always an issue

2. In general, the players from the west tend to have some more grit and edge to their game. The style of play in the WHL is more rough and tumble than the other two junior loops. I think the Canucks need to get some more players that have skill, but can play with that edge. Think Trevor Linden type.

3. The Canucks have basically ignored the WHL for years and the few players they have taked are guys like Grabner who was a Euro playing in Spokane. Everyone wants the Canucks to get grittier and have players that play with an edge. With all draft factors being "equal", I would lean toward the guy in the Canucks backyard, especially if they come from BC.

There are some great WHL players out there this year from the games I have seen. Many have been mentioned. I like Madison Bowey from the Kelowna Rockets alot. We all know what a Defenceman factory the Rockets have! (Schenn,Myers, Edler, Weber, Gorges etc etc.). Another player I like in Kelowna that went un-drafted last year is Myles Bell. Had some "legal" issues that caused him to get passed over, but has had a great year after being converted to forward(think Wendell Clark). Has good size, plays mean, and has a great shot. Wouldn't take hm in the first, but could be a steal in later rounds.

The guy I really like that I don't think was mentioned was Morgan Klimchuk of the Regina Pats. Great skater and a pure sniper! He will score 40+ goals playing on a horrible team. Should be available in the later first round.

Without sounding like Don Cherry, I hope the Canucks take more players this year out of the WHL and less players from the Q and Europe. My thinking is with good reasoning:

1.Players from the WHL are used to the grinding travel. They spend hours on a bus and often have to play the same day or travel throught the night and play the next day after getting into a city at 2-3 in the morning (sound familiar). This would be a big plus for a westcoast based team for which travel is always an issue

2. In general, the players from the west tend to have some more grit and edge to their game. The style of play in the WHL is more rough and tumble than the other two junior loops. I think the Canucks need to get some more players that have skill, but can play with that edge. Think Trevor Linden type.

3. The Canucks have basically ignored the WHL for years and the few players they have taked are guys like Grabner who was a Euro playing in Spokane. Everyone wants the Canucks to get grittier and have players that play with an edge. With all draft factors being "equal", I would lean toward the guy in the Canucks backyard, especially if they come from BC.

There are some great WHL players out there this year from the games I have seen. Many have been mentioned. I like Madison Bowey from the Kelowna Rockets alot. We all know what a Defenceman factory the Rockets have! (Schenn,Myers, Edler, Weber, Gorges etc etc.). Another player I like in Kelowna that went un-drafted last year is Myles Bell. Had some "legal" issues that caused him to get passed over, but has had a great year after being converted to forward(think Wendell Clark). Has good size, plays mean, and has a great shot. Wouldn't take hm in the first, but could be a steal in later rounds.

The guy I really like that I don't think was mentioned was Morgan Klimchuk of the Regina Pats. Great skater and a pure sniper! He will score 40+ goals playing on a horrible team. Should be available in the later first round.

From mock drafts that I've seen

1st round: Curtis Lazar

2nd round: If he's available - Zach Fucale

3rd round: Jordan Subban

4th round: JC Lipon

5th round: Alex Forsberg

6th round: Jeremy Gregoire

7th round: Tyler Bertuzzi

Archived