The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Underground UBC-Broadway SkyTrain needs to be regional priority

mr.x

You can always tell whether a city is truly world class by how good the public transit is.  Vancouver is far from world-class.

I also am never able to understand why it's so costly in both time and money to build transit in Vancouver.  I go Japan often and a lot of their stuff are from the 80/90's and yet they're still way better than whatever that was built for the Canada Line.  Wouldn't it be better to just buy the stuff from Japan, thus eliminating the R&D involved?  We already know their standards are already higher than here anyways.

One of the latest pet projects has a toll, SFPR does not. Hwy 1 does not.

Your strategy if build build build roads to pay for future transit is just stupid. You lock the region into car dependancy. You ignore reports like I linked that state office space wants transit, residential wants transit. You're stuck in the 50's Ron. Time to move on.

Your stuck in fantasy land. Time to get real.

Using tolls as a demand management tool is not a path to locking a region into car dependency. Especially when the (potentially very large) profits from these bridges is used to fund transit alternatives.

Tolls as a demand management tool is fine, building a whole swath of new roads to get those tolls is locking the region into car dependancy. The potential profit you speak of that you might get in 30 years after you finish paying off the initial investment...how does that help now?

Your fantasy land vision new Fraser river crossings--I mean come on, that's just unbelievable.

Read the reports. Business wants transit now. Customers want transit now. Residential construction wants transit now.

?? You know how financing works right? Net present value calculations? Basic business models? Bueller? Bueller?

I would hardly call a few new crossings a swath. Puttello needs to be replaced. It will cost about 1-1.50 in tolls to replace it. If you charge 3 bucks that's a massive profit.

Putting in a second bridge to Coquitlam would require a shockingly small amount of road. It would create profits similar to the Port Man bridge.

I would start there. And the province will be doing something with the Massey no matter who gets elected. See if a piece of that pie can go towards transit as well.

I would agree that a Vancouver bypass route and fix to the Alex Fraser would be farther off plans but eventually the south Fraser screenline will be closed.

Monkey with the numbers all you want, spending billions on more roads (which in turn require more roads and other infrastructure and then require ongoing maintenance) is not a solution. Not when everyone other than the Port is asking for more transit.

I don't see this happening anytime soon. If the liberals lose the election and their books get opened up we will likely find a whole lot more debt than is reported in the budget and there wont be any money to go around for projects like this, or much else.

No matter who wins the election the changing demographics of our country (more old people not working generating income but instead costing money via entitlements and healthcare) will require much higher levels of taxation just to get the crappy levels of service we currently get.

I would expect there to be worse levels of service and higher taxes unless something is changed. Dramatically.

Man up and run on your platform of taxes to fund transit then. See how well that works out for you.

Heck, if the mayors want tax money so bad they can raise property taxes (a power they already have) to get the money. But they don't. Is EVERY mayor in the region a "feline" as you put it? Not one leader in the bunch?

Or are they just not stupid enough to cut their nose to spite the face?

To Langley? No way are they building a skytrain all the way to Langley. There just isn't as much ridership as there would be if they extend the skytrain to UBC. I think it would be much cheaper too, since all they have to do is to extend the Skytrain track from VCC station to UBC (much shorter distance than going from King George to Langley).

Langley is further but it would be easier to build as you could do it above ground. But as is the tradition around here they should be putting in Bline service first. Then put preload down on either side of fraser highway. Then put bus lanes in to make Fraser three lanes.

Then in the future you turn the centre lanes into the Skytrain (when ridership calls for it) and still have your two lanes each way on Fraser Highway.

I would say UBC station is much more of a priority. There is so much transit riders in the Broadway corridor that I am a bit surprised they still haven't addressed the issue. They should get rid of the Broadway B-line buses and use them to serve the route from Langley to Vancouver. Putting a Skytrain station in UBC makes so much sense because it will reduce the traffic on Broadway while making it much easier on students to take transit rather than using their cars and paying the hefty UBC parking fee. Just imagine going from Coquitlam to UBC by just taking the skytrain versus a bus, then a skytrain and then another bus. The Coquitlam and UBC project should be the number one priority for Translink.

Archived