The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Jonathon Toews go Down as the Best Player to Come from the NCAA route?

It's hard to argue Ken Dryden. I know he's before a lot of guys on this board's time but he was pretty spectacular in his day. And Oates was awesome as well. Maybe the second best playmaker of all-time.

Dryden is pretty hard to match. You could argue he was on a stacked Canadiens team.

But...

6 Stanley Cups

Conn Smythe Trophy Winner

Calder Trophy Winner

5 time Vezina Trophy Winner

Ranked 25th by the Hockey News as one of the best players ever.

Fun fact. He was actually drafted by Boston in 1964, then traded to Montreal on the same day, so his agent told him he was drafted by Montreal. He didn't know until the mid 70's that he was originally drafted by Boston!

I think everyone on this board respects Toews as one of the best all around players in today's game. he'll always be a villain, but even then he doesn't play that part as well as Patty Kane does.

I'd personally rate Toews as the 3rd best center in the league right behind Crosby and Stamkos IMO, given his amazing defensive awareness I'd put him ahead of guys like Malkin, Henrik, and Tavares. Who are all primarily just offensive guys. (As is Stamkos but his Gpg is just ridiculas the last 4 years, that fact he scored 60 and is on pace in an 82 game season this year for 62 is just unreal in today's game) I'd say he's very compatible to Pavel Datsyuk but probably better from a leadership point of view. One of the best players and captains in the game.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Dryden is pretty hard to match. You could argue he was on a stacked Canadiens team.

But...

6 Stanley Cups

Calder Trophy Winner

Fun fact. He was actually drafted by Boston in 1964, then traded to Montreal on the same day, so his agent told him he was drafted by Montreal. He didn't know until the mid 70's that he was originally drafted by Boston!

Im sure Toews being a canadian attending Shattuck St. Mary's for high school hockey must have helped a lot, for one year of high school hockey at Shattuck's (including tuition, boarding and hockey fees, it comes down to over $50, 000 just for one year) so Toews must have gotten a scholarship or had parents who had the money to pay for him.

I'm aware you were being sarcastic, the big blush is a pretty easy give away. I was mostly just wanting to say how I definitely respect him. As for speaking for other Canuck fans that was probably a mistake, chances are half the people saying those things about him are the same half wits that want to trade 80% of our team, fire AV and Gillis, and completely rebuild after the Nucks lose a couple games in a row.

Anyone who can't see him for the generational talent he is probably doesnt know to much about hockey. I'd like to see him cut back on whining to the refs so much, but he's the captain that's his job.

Toews could potentially go down as a candidate for top 10 greatest hockey players of all time. You got to hand it to him for reaching Triple Gold at such a young age, even captaining his team to a Cup and winning the Conn Smythe, and still having much runway before him. If he wins them all over again and maintains such well-rounded play, I think he'll contend for a spot next to Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr, and the likes.

But...

6 Stanley Cups

Calder Trophy Winner

Archived