The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Jonathon Toews go Down as the Best Player to Come from the NCAA route?

I was just being sarcastic, hence the purple font. If you read the PGT from the last Chicago/Vancouver game there are plenty of Canucks fans who think Toews is terrible, classless, and a puke. Some went so far as to say he's not a very good captain.

Toews could potentially go down as a candidate for top 10 greatest hockey players of all time. You got to hand it to him for reaching Triple Gold at such a young age, even captaining his team to a Cup and winning the Conn Smythe, and still having much runway before him. If he wins them all over again and maintains such well-rounded play, I think he'll contend for a spot next to Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr, and the likes.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I know people like to lump Gretz and Lemieux together, but Gretz was better, sorry. He won more. He had more points. He was healthier (this is fortune more than anything, but there it is) and he helped grow the game in the USA all by himself. Even if you watch his final season with the Rangers, he could generate a scoring chance with the puck on almost every shift. I truly believe that Wayne is a "once in a century" player. Even greater than the generational talents that are seen, I believe him to be the greatest human to ever wear a pair of skates.

Toews could potentially go down as a candidate for top 10 greatest hockey players of all time. You got to hand it to him for reaching Triple Gold at such a young age, even captaining his team to a Cup and winning the Conn Smythe, and still having much runway before him. If he wins them all over again and maintains such well-rounded play, I think he'll contend for a spot next to Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr, and the likes.

People lump Gretzky and Lemieux together because as it was they were close talent wise and had injurys not plagued Lemieux's career he would have blown Gretzky's records away.

I just did some quick calculations of one of Lemieux's years, in the 92-93 season (his best statistical season) he played 60 games scored 69 goals (awsome :P ) and 91 assists for 160 points, you extend that to 82 games and that's 94 goals (Gretzky's record is 92) and 123 assists (Gretzky's recored was better with 163) and 217 points (Gretzky's record is 215), so maybe not blown away his records but he was equally as good as Gretzky overall, both had their strengths and weaknesses but in the end I wouldn't place one higher than the other.

Archived