Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Help Put a Stop to the Sad State of Refereeing

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Help Stop Bad Refereeing

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Will you write a letter/email or make a phone call to the Canucks organization, the NHL head office, the press (ESPN/TSN/other), or any combination of the above complaining about the state of refereeing in the NHL?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 tigbond

tigbond

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

I recently sent an email to the Canucks organization asking when they intend to take a stand against the unprofessional refereeing that, in my opinion, is ruining the game. As many have stated, the refs have zero accountability. Even when they are called out, the league sides with them unconditionally imposing fines on the offenders. I have also emailed ESPN and TSN suggesting they run stories on the matter. I further intend to follow up with the league at the following link:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/feedback.htm

It is my invitation to you, as fans who love the game, to call out the league for this terrible refereeing and make a change. As I said in my letter, I really don't care if the penalties are tipped in the opponent's favor 10-1 as long as the game is called fairly. The Sedins, two of the most dignified players to ever lace up skates in the NHL, are somehow branded as villains by the league and refs for publicly "believing" that the game will be called as it should. Since the refs have zero accountability, they've turned this against the Sedins seemingly just to show they are in charge. Wasn't it Mario Lemieux who was trying to get games called as they should be? We haven't come very far...

The NHL is rife with phantom calls and blatant missed calls. The refs don't drop the pucks on faceoffs for whatever reason this year, which is driving me nuts. Am I missing something here? Why is it that the NHL clearly has the worst officiating in all professional sports?

This isn't about being a whiny Canucks fan. Like I said, I don't care which way the calls go as long as good calls are made and non-calls are left alone. The game is NOT made more exciting by a power play that shouldn't be a power play.

I invite all of you to email:

1) The Canucks: fanservices@canucks.com
2) The NHL at the above link
3) TSN: webmaster@tsn.ca or audiencerelations@tsn.ca (not sure if these are correct)
4) ESPN: http://espn.go.com/espn/contact
5) The NHL Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/NHL?fref=ts

Please do actually send a complaint, not just "intend" to do so and then forget about it. This is for the future of the game we love that is currently sick.

Please discuss below. To anybody who calls me a whiner -- you are obviously content to watch poorly officiated games.

Edited by tigbond, 05 March 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#2 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:58 AM

Stop it!

You're going to make it worse. Now we are going to look like cry babies who complains all the time.

Our reputation is already bad as it is, don't make it worse.

Yes we often have bad calls, but everybody does. It's certainly not the reason we are playing poorly lately.

#3 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,209 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

Stop it!

You're going to make it worse. Now we are going to look like cry babies who complains all the time.

Yes we often have bad calls, but everybody does. It's certainly not the reason we are playing poorly lately.

Exactly. Plus 1.

From diving, to finger biting to rioting and whining - we have a bad enough reputation as it is.

Good teams can play through adversity (if you really think the NHL refs are "out to get us")...

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

waiting.for.cdc.jpg

#4 tigbond

tigbond

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

Stop it!

Exactly my point. The refereeing is terrible throughout the league.

#5 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,564 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

Want to know what we can do about it?

Have the best PK in the league so if we get a bad call, we just carry on. Also there is an onus on the players stop putting yourself in situations where the ref has to make a call for a penalty. Like it or not, we have a reputation, so that means we have to play as disciplined as we can.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#6 tigbond

tigbond

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

Want to know what we can do about it?

Have the best PK in the league so if we get a bad call, we just carry on. Also there is an onus on the players stop putting yourself in situations where the ref has to make a call for a penalty. Like it or not, we have a reputation, so that means we have to play as disciplined as we can.

Want to know what else we can do about it? Demand a better product from the league.

#7 kanucks1

kanucks1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

We need to just let them call the game and move on.
Posted Image

CDC Fantasy League GM Chicago Blackhawks

#8 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,130 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

The reffing in this league is pathetic, but it won't change one bit even if every single resident of BC wrote a letter. You don't think the league, the Canucks, the Board of Governs sees how it is? The issue at hand is last year the NHL made 3 Billion dollars, wretched reffing hasn't cost them a dime, infact it seems to help with the drama which brings viewers back (especially non traditional hockey markets). Its like a soap opera with the reffing and with the dicipline, why would the NHL want to change that?
Posted Image

#9 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

Honestly we have as much affect on the refereeing with our letter writing as an ant. Maybe marginally more.

Realistically it's up to the GM's and NHLPA to get the NHL to really do something about it, and I'm not sure exactly what they could do either since there will ALWAYS be complaints about refereeing whether legit or not.

#10 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,130 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

The only thing that I could possibly see happening is if there was enough outcry, (Perhaps because of a betting scandal or the like) where the Governments of Canada and US were to form an oversight commity, which governed and held accountable the legaue officials for what they do... there is an almost zero chance of this happening, but I think its the only way things will change for the better.
Posted Image

#11 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,693 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

It has already been reported tht the Board of Governors will be discussing this very issue at their next meeting. The GMs obviously have expressed their frustration at the officiating and it's lack of quality and consistency.

There's lots of politics involved in this. Claude Julien was on the news the other day talking about the "diving" by the Canadiens and how his team will continue to play the hard physical style game but that diving is killing the integrity of the league. Of course, his team's after the whistle abuse of other players and intentional attempts to injure are good for the game.

The league says it wants to see fast, talented hockey and protect the players. Teams like the Bruins want the officials to put away the whistles and allow them to beat the crap out of other teams during play and after the whistle.

Let's see if the league has the balls to implement what they say they want - keeping in mind that Boston's GM is the Chair of the Board...

#12 skolozsy2

skolozsy2

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

How do you put a stop to poor refereeing? Start dismissing current refs for calling a bad game? They will only be replaced by a more un-qualified and in-experienced group of refs and then you have an even bigger problem on your hands.

#13 Flem

Flem

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

What's wrong with the reffing?

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.