The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who is the best shootout player in the NHL

After watching The Balckhawks and Red Wings go to the shoot out on Sunday I was amazed at Patrick Kane and his consistant shootout goals. In my opinion he is the best shootout goal scorer in the world. As much as I dispise the kid I have to give him praise when its due. Any thoughts on who is the best?

When I get some feedback I will add a pole question.

Every season it really seems to be someone new. Kovalchuk was on fire last year I know. Stoll had a great season some year and so did Crosby. I don't feel like doing the research now haha. I don't think anyone really stands out on a career basis just a bunch of names leveling out around the same 50%-60%

You get a pretty small sample size by just looking at this years stats. Most guys haven't taken that many shots so far.

If you go back a year and look at the full season, Kovalchuk is at the top with 11/14 for 79%. Malkin is right behind him at 8/11 for 73%.

9 guys have 100%, but they only took 1 or 2 shots each. Hendricks and Alfredsson both deserve an honourable mention going 5/6 for 83%

The one that boggles me the most is Pacioretty. He was called upon 13 times in the shootout but only got 2 goals. I'm surprised he kept getting put out there for the shootout with that kind of track record.

At one time Jarkko Ruutu was called upon to take a penalty shot for team Finland in the so. He scored, so the coach put him back out again as soon as it was ok by the rules. He scored again, so they put him out for a third one. I can't remember wether he scored on that one too, but it was quite a night for Ruutu. And I doubt he ever got a similar chance again anywhere.

Archived