The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wardrums 2013: Iranian crisis nearing 'red line'

key2thecup

Very funny, considering that the US gets 10 times more oil from Canada and Mexico combined than from Iraq. Also considering that Iraq now produces half as much as it did during Saddam's time, so the whole going after Iraq's oil doesn't logistically make sense.

I think the ones that should be worried is Russia. If I was in their position, I would rather have someone within my sphere of influence who can't nuke me.

All of this is just propaganda in order to get Iran's oil. It was the same thing with Iraq and their "Weapons of Mass Destruction" which was never found. Even if Iran acquires nuclear weapons, they wouldn't use it because of the consequences. Even Pakistan has nuclear weapons.

We see once again that even the Democrats--despite being the party of choice of those opposed to this sort of thing--are not completely free from the influences of the pro-Israel and the military-industrial complex lobbyists.

Pakistan and India were at war when they both went nuclear. Yet, nobody spoke up about it.

Wasn't that more potentially world-changing than Iran going nuclear?

And don't forget about N. Korea.

This isn't anything but yet another grab for oil. But they'll need to try harder to justify an all-out invasion of Iran. Probably time for another false flag operation.

Pakistan and India were at war when they both went nuclear. Yet, nobody spoke up about it.

This isn't anything but yet another grab for oil. But they'll need to try harder to justify an all-out invasion of Iran. Probably time for another false flag operation.

• 2 weeks later...

Obama Says Iran A Year Away From Nuclear Weapon

1636235941.jpg?w=300

JERUSALEM (AP) — Iran is about a year away from developing a nuclear weapon and the United States remains committed to doing everything in its power to prevent that from happening, President Barack Obama said in an exclusive interview aired Thursday on Israeli TV.

Just days before he is to arrive in Israel for his first presidential visit, Obama told Israel’s Channel 2 TV that while he still prefers diplomacy over force, but that a nuclear Iran is a “red line” and all options remain on the table to stop it.

“Right now, we think it would take over a year or so for Iran to actually develop a nuclear weapon, but obviously we don’t want to cut it too close,” he said. “So when I’m consulting with Bibi (Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu) as I have over the last several years on this issue, my message to him will be the same as before: `If we can resolve it diplomatically that is a more lasting solution. But if not I continue to keep all options on the table.”‘

The timeline for action against Iran has been one of the most fraught disputes in an already tense relationship between Obama and Netanyahu. Israel has repeatedly threatened to act militarily should Iran appear to be on the verge of obtaining a bomb, while the U.S. has pushed for more time to allow diplomacy and economic sanctions to run their course.

Obama’s forecast gives more time than that of Netanyahu, who has signaled that the coming months present a point of no return in dealing with Iran.

The American president nonetheless took a stern tone toward Iran in the half-hour long interview.

“What I have also said is that there is a window, not an infinite period of time, but a window of time where we can resolve this diplomatically and it is in all of our interests” to do this, he said. “They (Iran) are not yet at the point, I think, where they have made a fundamental decision to get right with the international community … I do think they are recognizing that there is a severe cost to continue on the path they are on and that there is another door open.”

Israel considers a nuclear-armed Iran to be an existential threat, citing Iranian denials of the Holocaust, its calls for Israel’s destruction, its development of missiles capable of striking the Jewish state and its support for hostile Arab militant groups. Tehran says its nuclear program is peaceful and designed to produce energy and medical isotopes, a claim that Israel and many Western countries reject.

Obama said that a nuclear Iran would also be “dangerous for the world. It would be dangerous for U.S. national security interests.”

In the interview, Obama also spoke about his relationship with Netanyahu — claiming it is not as tense as reported — and encouraged Israelis and Palestinians to resume peace talks. He also said he had no immediate plans to release convicted spy Jonathan Pollard, whom Israel has been pressuring to set free after 28 years in prison for spying for them.

Obama arrives in Israel Wednesday for a three-day visit that is seem primarily as a means to convey the closeness of the U.S.-Israel alliance.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/03/14/obama-says-iran-a-year-away-from-nuclear-weapon/

Archived