The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cody Hodgson with the goal of the year?

Absolutely untrue, couldn't be farther from the truth. I never once badmouthed Hodgson, ever. I was ecstatic when we drafted him and followed his junior career and AHL career closely. I never called the Sedins busts either. There's one type of player that I always have extra patience for, and it's the guys with the hockey IQ. The Crosbys and Gretzkys of the world are the top of that heap, but it's also the thing that makes Cody and the Sedin twins stand out for me. It's the intangible thing. Cody has the intangibles. I wanted Cody to be untouchable in trade, as I've always thought he was a gem. Speed and size and all of that are important, but the truly great players have something extra that you can't teach or grow into or train for. Maybe if they decided to treat him with a little respect his attitude would change a little bit.

I think the problem is, if we were moving Cody anyways, why not have put together a package that GMs would drool over (ie. Hodgson+Schneider+1st+?) to land a true game breaker? A Kovalchuk or Nash would be REALLY helpful right now lol

In the end of the day, it's not that the Canucks lost Hodgson, it's that the Canucks basically traded him with a massive discount.

A legit NHL forward with huge potentially will always worth more than an unproven prospect with only potentially (unless you're a top-3 pick).

Hodgson would have helped now more than Kassian, something that is counter to what MG has said. Maybe Zack may become the next Lucic/Bertuzzi/Benn.... but when you're a contender, you trade to go forward, not backwards.

Archived