#274 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

gillis is an idiot

That's easy to say. I know one thing, he's far smarter than you and many fans on here.

Lets not for get that Cody is on a poor team getting more ice time than he would have under AV.

Lets not forget the fact Cody didn't want to be here. People just can't get that through their thick skulls.

So maybe it's Cody's fault he's not here and no one else.

I like it when no one has any faith in Kassian. Too bad his hands are like stones , can't skate very fast, and a defensive liability similar to Cody Hodgson Right? Lets not forget meddling parents. Lets not leave out behind the door whining.

#275 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Oh God, I still can watch that goal when I'm feeling depressed and it cheers me up. Tim Thomas looks back with "WTF" in his face. The entire TD Garden deflates almost instantly with the sound of that Ping!

Also a big fan of his goal versus Detroit earlier in the year. The place was rocking because the Canucks had just scored a few seconds earlier, then Cody takes a puck and waltzes right up the middle of the zone, and smokes it post and in past Howard. Playoff level celebration for that one. Recommend youtubing it. That kid can really shoot the puck.

Don't forget his semi breakaway goal against Chicago :')

Edited by LeanBeaf, 22 March 2013 - 09:09 AM.

Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#276 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,123 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

That's easy to say. I know one thing, he's far smarter than you and many fans on here.

Lets not for get that Cody is on a poor team getting more ice time than he would have under AV.

Lets not forget the fact Cody didn't want to be here. People just can't get that through their thick skulls.

I like it when no one has any faith in Kassian. Too bad his hands are like stones , can't skate very fast, and a defensive liability similar to Cody Hodgson Right? Lets not forget meddling parents. Lets not leave out behind the door whining.

Lol wut?

Edited by TheEhrhoffEffect, 22 March 2013 - 10:18 AM.

#277 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

POPULAR

He wanted more ice time not out, don't believe everything Gillis says, he already made himself look like an idiot b!tching about Cody after the trade while Cody took the high road.

He has two less points then our highest scorer and most of them have come at even strength.

Why do people keep saying he gets more ice time then he would under AV... no sh!t that's why he wasn't happy in the first place.

I would also like to add that the Sedins are probably almost as bad defensively as Cody is and they have pretty much the same amount of points and way more experience and the Twins get more pp time...

Go ahead and say Hodgson has Vanek and Pominville, but Hank has Daniel and Burrows.....

And your last line doesn't really make any sense. Cody has great hands? and has improved defensively and in face offs since he actually has trust from his coach and doesn't get stapled to the 4th line.

Remember when AV put him on the 4th line after he won rookie of the month? No wonder his dad was pissed.

Edited by TheGame., 22 March 2013 - 10:43 AM.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#278 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,893 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

If any other player in the league scored this goal the thread would have gotten maybe a page of replies then fallen off the face of the earth, but here we are 17 days later and 10 pages in still going strong.

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#279 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

It's like trading Joe Sakic, for Gino Odjick, you just don't trade those 2 types of calibre players in the same trade for each other.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#280 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

I would also like to add that the Sedins are probably almost as bad defensively as Cody is and they have pretty much the same amount of points and way more experience and the Twins get more pp time...

Sedin with the hooking penalty...
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#281 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

Sedin with the hooking penalty...

Lol, they play with Burr too who saves them atleast once or twice in the defensive end every game.

I just find it funny how people rag so hard on Hodgson for his defensive game while after 10+ years in the NHL the Sedins are still somewhat sheltered defensively.

Edited by TheGame., 22 March 2013 - 01:29 PM.

Posted Image

#282 The Vancouver Connection

The Vancouver Connection

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

i'm never going to live this trade down. someone get this clown out of management before he costs us anymore prospects.

cody > tavares at WJ's

now, that's saying something. I hope cody puts up a 100+ pts next year so gillis can look like even a bigger moron. frack sakes. SO mad right now.
Sig too big, 500 KB limit

#283 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,123 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

i'm never going to live this trade down. someone get this clown out of management before he costs us anymore prospects.

cody > tavares at WJ's

now, that's saying something. I hope cody puts up a 100+ pts next year so gillis can look like even a bigger moron. frack sakes. SO mad right now.

Won CHL Player of the year over JT as well. Not saying he's better than Tavares, but that's quite the accomplishment.

Edited by TheEhrhoffEffect, 22 March 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#284 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

He wanted more ice time not out, don't believe everything Gillis says, he already made himself look like an idiot b!tching about Cody after the trade while Cody took the high road.

He has two less points then our highest scorer and most of them have come at even strength.

Why do people keep saying he gets more ice time then he would under AV... no sh!t that's why he wasn't happy in the first place.

Go ahead and say Hodgson has Vanek and Pominville, but Hank has Daniel and Burrows.....

And your last line doesn't really make any sense. Cody has great hands? and has improved defensively and in face offs since he actually has trust from his coach and doesn't get stapled to the 4th line.

Remember when AV put him on the 4th line after he won rookie of the month? No wonder his dad was pissed.

Henrik is better than Cody in every regard.

Defensively, Faceoffs, Offensively, Character, Strength, Toughness.

I get Cody is a good young player, but please lets not make comparisons to the leading scorer in Canucks history.

zackass.png

#285 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

I get Cody is a good young player, but please lets not make comparisons to the leading scorer in Canucks history.

Well yeah he's also had like 10 more years to develop. He could become as good as him, he's doing arguably better then Hank did at the same age.

Who seriously thought the Sedins would turn into the elite players we see now back then?

Henrik had an advantage though in having a twin brother to play with always.

I think it's fair to compare them when he's producing at the same rate in only his 3rd year in the NHL. They have similarities too, slow, great vision and passing, weak defensively, not gritty.

I'm not trying to say he's better then Henrik which obviously he's not, but he could turn out to be the same caliber of player when he hits his prime.

Posted Image

#286 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,123 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

Well yeah he's also had like 10 more years to develop. He could become as good as him, he's doing arguably better then Hank did at the same age.

Who seriously thought the Sedins would turn into the elite players we see now back then?

I think it's fair to compare them when he's producing at the same rate in only his 3rd year in the NHL. They have similarities too, slow, great vision and passing, weak defensively, not gritty.

I'm not trying to say he's better then Henrik which obviously he's not, but he could turn out to be the same caliber of player when he hits his prime.

He plays PK on the Sabres so I wouldn't say he sucks defensively. Definitely has picked it up as the season has gone on. He was known as a solid two-way forward in Junior so I can definitely see him improve that aspect as time goes on.

#287 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

No I don't believe he can.

I don't think Cody Hodgson will ever win an Art Ross and Hart Trophy. I also don't think don't think Cody Hodgson is as tough as the Sedins, and I also disagree that the Sedins are bad defensively, I also don't think they are below average in speed anymore, they have worked incredibly on there speed and the improvements are great. Not blazing speed like Mason Raymond or David Booth, but much better than Cody Hodgson.

Not to mention I believe the leadership and Character the Sedins have are higher than Cody.

I wish him well, but he is no Henrik Sedin.

zackass.png

#288 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

He plays PK on the Sabres so I wouldn't say he sucks defensively. Definitely has picked it up as the season has gone on. He was known as a solid two-way forward in Junior so I can definitely see him improve that aspect as time goes on.

Yeah, I think his speed is going to hold him back from being a good two way player at the NHL level, but I'm sure he can improve it enough to where it's not a weakness at all.

Edited by TheGame., 22 March 2013 - 03:27 PM.

Posted Image

#289 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

Cody Hodgson @ age 23 > Henrik Sedin @ age 23

The Sedins were only 0.5PPG players with lots of ice time under Marc Crawford. Didn't break out offensively until Anson Carter came along.
Throw in the fact that Hodgson had a major back injury, and doesn't have a twin to practice/train/play with since the very beginning. The Canucks traded away a sure thing for a maybe.

#290 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

The Sedins were only 0.5PPG players with lots of ice time under Marc Crawford. Didn't break out offensively until Anson Carter came along.
Throw in the fact that Hodgson had a major back injury, and doesn't have a twin to practice/train/play with since the very beginning. The Canucks traded away a sure thing for a maybe.

This, Hodgson improves greatly each season and it shows, it would be silly to think he won't continue that every year. I'm sure he will improve his skating and defensive game just like the Sedins do.

Posted Image

#291 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

I don't care, the Sedins were developing players who took there time, and paid there dues. And they have been rewarded for it. Cody hasn't and won't be rewarded for it like the Twins have been.

Lets be honest here. The Sedins have an opportunity to be HOF players, and will go down probably as the greatest players in Canucks history.

They carried an entire franchise on there back with nothing but success, character, and humilty.

Cody will a very good offensive player, but I don't think he will be a special player like the Sedins are.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 22 March 2013 - 03:35 PM.

zackass.png

#292 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

Hopefully this thread lasts ten years haha.

Edit:

^^^
That's true but if it was just one Sedin I don't think they would have accomplished close to as much.

Edited by TheGame., 22 March 2013 - 03:38 PM.

Posted Image

#293 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hopefully this thread lasts ten years haha.

Haha yeah Lol then we will really see .

zackass.png

#294 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Yeah, I think his speed is going to hold him back from being a good two way player at the NHL level, but I'm sure he can improve it enough to where it's not a weakness at all.

People harp on Hodgson's skating, but that is also a weakness of the Sedin twins.
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#295 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

People harp on Hodgson's skating, but that is also a weakness of the Sedin twins.

Yeah, imagine if the twins and Hodgson were fast, damn they would be scary.

Posted Image

#296 Patrick Kane

Patrick Kane

Assistant to Regional Manager

• Members
  • 14,313 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

27 pts in 31gp.

Real deal folks...

As a NHL enthusiast, I love following other teams, such as Colorado.

I remember when they traded Stewart and Shatty for EJ. I stopped following the Avs as much since. Dumb, dumb move...

This is one of the moves that still haunts me till date. I will be a Canuck fan forever, but this trade hurts.

And Hodgson is a great leader. Captain of the Brampton Battalion and the U18 team.

Looking at Buffalo, once Pominville is gone, Hodgson will be their captain.

Posted Image

You will be missed.

#297 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

27 pts in 31gp.

Real deal folks...

As a NHL enthusiast, I love following other teams, such as Colorado.

I remember when they traded Stewart and Shatty for EJ. I stopped following the Avs as much since. Dumb, dumb move...

This is one of the moves that still haunts me till date. I will be a Canuck fan forever, but this trade hurts.

And Hodgson is a great leader. Captain of the Brampton Battalion and the U18 team.

Looking at Buffalo, once Pominville is gone, Hodgson will be their captain.

Posted Image

Yup I'm not really sure what the hell our management was thinking. We finally had an amazing young talent being brought up in our organization only to be pushed aside. I was furious over the decision to move him no matter what the issue was. So annoying to be waiting for such a player in our system then he's gone. And now he's doing what most people knew he would.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#298 mikeburn

mikeburn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

wow 12 g 14 a

Actually it seems the NHL scorekeepers had some issues last Buffalo game (most of the players had 15-20mins plus on the PP, lol) and the stats have since been corrected - with Hodgson awarded a 3rd assist of the game (instead of the 2 he'd originally been credited). So he's sitting at 12 goals & 15 assists.

Leads his team for ES points at 23, has gradually improved his two-way game (thanks to patient and supportive coaching) to now be a positive +/- player, is still a go-to guy on the PK (actually leads his team in short-handed points too), but has also been shifted to the 1st power-play unit in the last three games - a good move too, seeing how he's had 2 PP points since, the first being a PP goal that broke the Sabres 0-30 rut.

We've all heard the anti-Hodgson rhetoric (since Gillis tossed the kid under a bus post trade with a series of implied character and ability insults, which the uniformed Canuck fan has picked up and repeats as gospel)... the whole Hodgson is a "defensive liability", "only successful when given sheltered ice-time", yadda, yadda. In this thread alone there are several comments about how he's only producing because he's riding on Vanek's coattail....

Except that coaches don't persistently put a guy on PK duty who is a defensive liability, playing the PK is hardly "sheltering" a young player, and Vanek was on the bench while Hodgson was setting up Pominville one PK shift, and still on the bench while Hodgson was stealing a puck in the neutral zone and dangling through the entire opposing team for his own solo effort short-handed goal. These are only examples though of course. Fact is, the kid has shown he's capable of producing when stuck on the Canucks' third line, when shorted handed on the Sabres facing down the stars of opposing teams, when going up even strength against the top lines and d pairings of other teams, when Vanek is on the bench, on the ice, or in the press box (like last game when Hodgson racked up 3 pts), when Pominville is doing the give-and-go with him, or when it's Ennis feeding a drop pass, or when it's Ott taking a sweet set-up pass...

Shame Canucks are looking for a center.

Edited by mikeburn, 23 March 2013 - 03:21 AM.

#299 mikeburn

mikeburn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:16 AM

I'm a Henrik fan as much as I'm a Hodgson fan, so am generally reluctant to get into comparisons given how easily commentary can be twisted as if intended to bash any particular player, but for the sake of contrast...

Let's skip over the incredible advantage Henrik has had by playing with a twin since toddler-hood, the fact Hodgson lost much of his 1st NHL year due to injury and also unlike Henrik had to adjust to a new team/setup/etc. mid season post trade, and just compare games actually played and stats generated by each -

As of "today", Hodgson is 23 years old and has played only 122 NHL games, stretched over 3 seasons due injuries and between 2 teams due the trade. Henrik at 23 years old had played 242 NHL games stretched over 3 seasons and for only 1 team.

Hodgon's total @ 23 years & 3 NHL seasons =
122 NHL games
32 goals, 37 assists, 69 points, 26 PIM, +1
(0.57 pts/game)
faceoffs each year (42/38.1% - 710/46.8% - 574/46.5%)

Henrik's total @ 23 years & 3 NHL seasons =
242 NHL games
33 goals, 71 assists, 110 points, 112 PIM, +16
(0.45 pts/game)
faceoffs each year (1020/44.1% - 785/47.4% - 995/48.2 %)

Those stats are hard to compare really. Ice time was different (for one example only - Hodgson in his 3rd year is getting more ES time than Henrik did in his 3rd year, but then Henrik averaged 2:30, 1:56, and 3:22 on the power play in each of his first seasons while Hodgson hasn't gotten anywhere near those opportunities), Henrik on the 3rd/2nd line back then wasn't facing top lines and d pairings that Hodgson has been this year for the Sabres, etc. But still, you referred to Henrik being "better than Cody" in every guard, and specifically - "Defensively, Faceoffs, Offensively, Character, Strength, Toughness", so let's take each one...

"Defensively" - Henrik @ 23 was not any better than Hodgson at the same age, period.

- Henrik was a solid +16 after his first 3 seasons, but then Hodgson was only a negative while acclimatizing post trade - eliminate that stretch just after his trade, and Hodgson is sitting at +10.
- Think about being a good defensive player in terms of how often you put your team into a short-handed position, and consider - Henrik racked up 112 PIM for his team his first 3 seasons, Hodgson only 26 PIM.
- Think about the greatest defense being a good offense - Henrik had 1 short-handed point over his first 3 years, Hodgson already has 2 short-handed points and his 3rd full year isn't done yet.
- By the end of Henrik's 4rd NHL season, the most he was ever trusted short-handed an average 0.53 mins/game. Comparably, Hodgson in now averaging 1:43 minutes of PK duty in only his 3rd season.

"Faceoffs" - Henrik @ 23 years wasn't any better than Hodgson at the same age (possibly even worse when one considers Henrik didn't have to face the top centers of other teams).

Henrik -
total taken = 2800, won = 1302, lost = 1498, percentage = 46.50%

Hodgson -
total taken = 1326, won = 612, lost = 714, percentage = 46.15%

(side note, even this year Henrik's 48.2% really ain't much better than Hodgson's 46.5%, when we consider Henrik has a good 10 years of experience over the kid)

"Offensively" - Hodgson has Henrik beat hands down. Period.

Henrik @ 23 years old and playing with a twin against other team's secondary lines/defensive, had 0.45 pts/game. Comparably, Hodgson playing all over AV's line shuffles and then (for Buffalo) against top lines/defensive, is at 0.57 pts/game so far.

For other numbers...

@ ES (even strength) - In his 3rd year, Henrik totaled only 19 ES over 82 games - Hodgson already has a team-leading 23 pts in only 31 games.

@ SH (short-handed) - Henrik had 1 pt over his first three seasons, while Hodgson already has 2 ps in the 31 games he's been given PK duty.

@ PP (power-play) - Henrik had 37 pts over 626 PP minutes, good for 0.059 pts/min. Comparably, Hodgson has had 16 pts over 250 PP minutes, good for 0.062 pts/min.

"Character" - Really??

How can we really judge the "character" of these two guys at 23? I don't recall - did Henrik come to the Canucks as a proven leader of his junior teams? Hodgson did. Did Henrik have his character criticized and bashed by his coach and former GM in the media, and respond professionally by keeping his mouth shut and head into simply becoming a better player on the ice? Hodgson did. Henrik's teammates have always talked highly of him, so have Hodgsons (other than the slights made post trade) - even this last week when Vanek was demoted off Hodgson's line and Ott promoted, both those guys were quoted as signing the kid's praises. Hodgson hasn't been called a "sister" by the so-called fan, something Henrik and his bro had to endure.

Really I don't see how it's remotely possible to compare these guys' character at 23. They simply had very different starts to their careers and both seem to have handled what adversity they faced very well.

"Strength" - Huh?

Pretty sure I recall Henrik and Daniel being subjected to the "sister" name-calling by fans their first few years in the NHL, while Hodgson has simply been bashed as "soft" by disgruntled fans after the trade. Don't see either Henrik or Hodgson being a fighter type, lol, but then smashing and fighting just aren't their games.

"Toughness" - Huh?

Strength and toughness obviously aren't the same thing precisely, but like the former it is difficult to objectively compare whether Henrik or Hodgson are more "tough" than the other. Still, I think about how many times we listened to so-called fans call Henrik a "sister" and it's kinda hard to imagine Hodgson being any less "tough" that that, lol.

All in, while the numbers show Hodgson has actually already exceeded what Henrik accomplished during his first 3 seasons, there are simply too many factors at play to make the call either way. There is 10-something years between them. The game is different, they had different learning curves and situations and opportunities. They are different players on different teams in different eras with different backgrounds.

#300 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

I'm a Henrik fan as much as I'm a Hodgson fan, so am generally reluctant to get into comparisons given how easily commentary can be twisted as if intended to bash any particular player, but for the sake of contrast...

Let's skip over the incredible advantage Henrik has had by playing with a twin since toddler-hood, the fact Hodgson lost much of his 1st NHL year due to injury and also unlike Henrik had to adjust to a new team/setup/etc. mid season post trade, and just compare games actually played and stats generated by each -

As of "today", Hodgson is 23 years old and has played only 122 NHL games, stretched over 3 seasons due injuries and between 2 teams due the trade. Henrik at 23 years old had played 242 NHL games stretched over 3 seasons and for only 1 team.

Hodgon's total @ 23 years & 3 NHL seasons =
122 NHL games
32 goals, 37 assists, 69 points, 26 PIM, +1
(0.57 pts/game)
faceoffs each year (42/38.1% - 710/46.8% - 574/46.5%)

Henrik's total @ 23 years & 3 NHL seasons =
242 NHL games
33 goals, 71 assists, 110 points, 112 PIM, +16
(0.45 pts/game)
faceoffs each year (1020/44.1% - 785/47.4% - 995/48.2 %)

Those stats are hard to compare really. Ice time was different (for one example only - Hodgson in his 3rd year is getting more ES time than Henrik did in his 3rd year, but then Henrik averaged 2:30, 1:56, and 3:22 on the power play in each of his first seasons while Hodgson hasn't gotten anywhere near those opportunities), Henrik on the 3rd/2nd line back then wasn't facing top lines and d pairings that Hodgson has been this year for the Sabres, etc. But still, you referred to Henrik being "better than Cody" in every guard, and specifically - "Defensively, Faceoffs, Offensively, Character, Strength, Toughness", so let's take each one...

"Defensively" - Henrik @ 23 was not any better than Hodgson at the same age, period.

- Henrik was a solid +16 after his first 3 seasons, but then Hodgson was only a negative while acclimatizing post trade - eliminate that stretch just after his trade, and Hodgson is sitting at +10.
- Think about being a good defensive player in terms of how often you put your team into a short-handed position, and consider - Henrik racked up 112 PIM for his team his first 3 seasons, Hodgson only 26 PIM.
- Think about the greatest defense being a good offense - Henrik had 1 short-handed point over his first 3 years, Hodgson already has 2 short-handed points and his 3rd full year isn't done yet.
- By the end of Henrik's 4rd NHL season, the most he was ever trusted short-handed an average 0.53 mins/game. Comparably, Hodgson in now averaging 1:43 minutes of PK duty in only his 3rd season.

"Faceoffs" - Henrik @ 23 years wasn't any better than Hodgson at the same age (possibly even worse when one considers Henrik didn't have to face the top centers of other teams).

Henrik -
total taken = 2800, won = 1302, lost = 1498, percentage = 46.50%

Hodgson -
total taken = 1326, won = 612, lost = 714, percentage = 46.15%

(side note, even this year Henrik's 48.2% really ain't much better than Hodgson's 46.5%, when we consider Henrik has a good 10 years of experience over the kid)

"Offensively" - Hodgson has Henrik beat hands down. Period.

Henrik @ 23 years old and playing with a twin against other team's secondary lines/defensive, had 0.45 pts/game. Comparably, Hodgson playing all over AV's line shuffles and then (for Buffalo) against top lines/defensive, is at 0.57 pts/game so far.

For other numbers...

@ ES (even strength) - In his 3rd year, Henrik totaled only 19 ES over 82 games - Hodgson already has a team-leading 23 pts in only 31 games.

@ SH (short-handed) - Henrik had 1 pt over his first three seasons, while Hodgson already has 2 ps in the 31 games he's been given PK duty.

@ PP (power-play) - Henrik had 37 pts over 626 PP minutes, good for 0.059 pts/min. Comparably, Hodgson has had 16 pts over 250 PP minutes, good for 0.062 pts/min.

"Character" - Really??

How can we really judge the "character" of these two guys at 23? I don't recall - did Henrik come to the Canucks as a proven leader of his junior teams? Hodgson did. Did Henrik have his character criticized and bashed by his coach and former GM in the media, and respond professionally by keeping his mouth shut and head into simply becoming a better player on the ice? Hodgson did. Henrik's teammates have always talked highly of him, so have Hodgsons (other than the slights made post trade) - even this last week when Vanek was demoted off Hodgson's line and Ott promoted, both those guys were quoted as signing the kid's praises. Hodgson hasn't been called a "sister" by the so-called fan, something Henrik and his bro had to endure.

Really I don't see how it's remotely possible to compare these guys' character at 23. They simply had very different starts to their careers and both seem to have handled what adversity they faced very well.

"Strength" - Huh?

Pretty sure I recall Henrik and Daniel being subjected to the "sister" name-calling by fans their first few years in the NHL, while Hodgson has simply been bashed as "soft" by disgruntled fans after the trade. Don't see either Henrik or Hodgson being a fighter type, lol, but then smashing and fighting just aren't their games.

"Toughness" - Huh?

Strength and toughness obviously aren't the same thing precisely, but like the former it is difficult to objectively compare whether Henrik or Hodgson are more "tough" than the other. Still, I think about how many times we listened to so-called fans call Henrik a "sister" and it's kinda hard to imagine Hodgson being any less "tough" that that, lol.

All in, while the numbers show Hodgson has actually already exceeded what Henrik accomplished during his first 3 seasons, there are simply too many factors at play to make the call either way. There is 10-something years between them. The game is different, they had different learning curves and situations and opportunities. They are different players on different teams in different eras with different backgrounds.

Alright his first 3 years.

We have already established this.

Cody Hodgson is having half a season of great offensive hockey. While being lackluster everywhere else, and suddenly people are comparing him to Henrik Sedin.

I would like to see Cody hit 70 points in a year before I am comfortable comparing him to an Art Ross winner, Hart Winner, and the all time leading scorer in Canucks history.

And I think we can already establish who had the greater character, seen as at the same age Henrik and Daniel cold have quit on the team like Cody did, but chose not too and now look at them.

And yes I consider them tougher cause they take so much abuse and do nothing but play throught it and continue on as the go-to guys on the team.

And while we are at the small sample size predictions. Jordan Schroeder is having a better first taste in the NHL than Cody Hodgson. I don't see anyone making a case Schroeder will be as good or better than Cody Hodgson.

Lets just cool it, cause right now. Henrik > Cody and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

zackass.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.