397 replies to this topic

#361 prana16

prana16

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

Well Mike if we are really arguing about interpitation of how MG speaks then I guess this is over.

I also find it funny how your continued response is that MG didn't say it point blank in the exact words you would like to here so it didn't happen.

Then when I bring up the fact that Cody point blank dodged the question a number of times (Which 100% hints he asked for a trade, and that he just doesn't want to admit it) you can make up some excuse for it.

Thats fine. Cody didn't want to be here, it is clear as day. And if you don't believe it just think about what would have happened had we not traded him. The issues would only continue and if we didn't trade him he would have made the RFA process a disaster and held out, or made it known that he wanted a trade.

Sadly i think of it all the time. I think about how it gutted the team last year at the deadline killing our secondary offence and second unit powerplay right before a playoff run. I think about how we just gave away two players in two years that were contending for the calder on a team that struggles for offense after the twins. Replacing that rookie with an old shut down centre even though we had a selke winning centre on our roster. I think about how that young rookie got continually demoted for success as this coach is want to do while kesler seems to get a pass because he was good 3 years ago. How all the talk of merit and playing those that give the best chance to win is total bs. An injured ineffective kesler continues to play on the second line no matter how bad he is and no matter how good someone else plays. I think about how Cody should have supplanted Kesler last year if actually by merit.. and this year we would not be screaming for centres. We would not be talking about giving away our best trade asset in years (lu/corey) for yet another 3rd line centre if we hadn't have ditched our first round, calder candidate first line young centre that is scoring the same as the twins this year on a far far worse team. I think about two to three years from now when the twins need to start stepping back into a secondary role, who we have to centre and run this team, because it isn't kesler both on ability, character or health.

Anyways, I wish the kid well, loved him when he was here, defended him when people were calling him a bust, and unfortunately there was just no place for him here long term and he wanted to move on to somewhere that he could get those opportunties. Good on him, more power to him in Buffalo and I'm with what we got in Zack.

That's really all there is too it, we have to move on.

I'm sure zack will be a good player, he's big, mean, has good hands and can actually make some plays.. but cody already is good, he was last year too. the writing was on the wall with kesler, there should have been no worries about playing behind him because it was clear he is not dependable for offence or to even be in the lineup.

I had very high hopes for MG .. but the last 3 seasons or so he has made this team worse. He's given away our offensive prospects and added noting of value in return. He's made miscalculated move after miscalculated move often at the expense of young talented cheap players and large long contracts for vets that don't produce. He's bad mouthed players who's reputations everywhere else are stellar (Bmo, Cody) and made some moves that leave the impression of something shady whether true or not (manny) . Its not time to move on. People in this organization need to be held to account for how they have hurt the team over the last 2 or more seasons.. Gillis and AV have large parts to shoulder in that regards.. we are a team on teh decline and have alienated and traded away the future pieces we should have had. Kassian might end up being bertuzzi but you dont' build a team around bertuzzi.

#362 Losing With Pride

Losing With Pride

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,654 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

The problem isn't that we traded... the problem is what we got in return.

Kassian has showed minimal success and this is what everyone is kicking and screaming about.

Gilils was under pressure to add some pieces for the playoff run but acquired a non NHL ready asset for Hodgson.

#363 mikeburn

mikeburn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

The problem isn't that we traded... the problem is what we got in return.

Kassian has showed minimal success and this is what everyone is kicking and screaming about.

Gilils was under pressure to add some pieces for the playoff run but acquired a non NHL ready asset for Hodgson.

I dunno... I'm kinda with you and kinda thinking other things altogether too...

Guess I figure that if other players, vets an youths alike (Grabner, Hodgson, Mitchel, Naslund, etc.) had issues fitting and adapting to the current mgmt regime, then it's kinda hard to decide Kassian is a total wash just because he seems pretty lost as a Canuck...

Admittedly (and as prana16's comments above flagged), when as outsiders we evaluate players' skill and character then it makes sense to take into account their reps elsewhere (like with BMO and Hodgson, whose reps elsewhere are truly stellar), so perhaps Kassian is just like what's been reported of him from pre-Canuck days - inconsistent at best... On the flip side, he's young and presumably impressionable and trainable, right? Also, Canucks mgmt knew what they were getting (good and bad), so they went into the trade willing to help and work with Kassian, right????

Anyway, from a purely Canucks viewpoint, I don't think the problem is the trade itself (though I question it's validity and the lose of any young asset!) or what was traded for, so much as the lack of ultimately replacing what was lost is the problem! Canucks need 2nd/3rd line centers - where are they?

It'd be okay that Gillis got a winger for Hodgson, if he'd have also replaced the depth Hodgson gave us a center in another move...

#364 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,224 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

You're' still not getting it. It's not about me or the words I would like. It's about the fact Gillis never said Hodgson asked for a trade or said he wanted out of Vancouver. According to even you, Gilli is a "sophisticated" talker, he implied to create an impression and you've fallen for it.

The fact that players do not, as a general rule, "talk back" or otherwise criticize and reproach mgmt publicly, is not an excuse but a viable explanation for why Hodgson declined to say anything that might be construed as reproaching Gillis for how he described matters.

There's no rocket science involved here - the kid simply did what most players do when their character and/or abilities are criticized by mgmt - he spoke only positively of others, referencing his gratefulness for opportunities and fans, then moved on.

(Incidentally, has it occurred to you that if Hodgson did ask for a trade and everyone already presumed as much due Gillis' commentary, he had nothing to lose by just saying it straight up himself? What was done, was done after all. People liked him or not. The new team/fans might even like him more for having no regrets or misplaced loyalties. And many players before him have gone public with saying they wanted a trade for a different opportunity (see: Igninla ;) )

It's not "clear as day", there is no evidence that Hodgson "wanted to move on...", etc. That's the entire point, lol. No matter how many times you repeat a personal opinion, it will not magically become a fact.

You have had an opportunity to critically analyze what was actually said and done, and still persist with holding onto personal interpretations which simply don't stand up to scrutiny. And hey, no worries, it's only a hockey thing, it's only chatter about tiny matters and people in the scheme of things. The only "big deal" comes when people apply the same decision-making style when faced with the big decisions in life ;)

I was gunna reply to your post again and go through the whole thing point by point.

Then I stumbled upon this and it has become remarkably clear you are just making your own kool-aid and drinkning it.

There is tons of evidence to support the theory Cody Hodgson didn't want to be here, but you are closing your eyes and denying it, and you are doing exactly what you criticized me for doing and thats putting your personal opinion as fact.

There are many holes in your theory, like why Cody Hodgson didn't squash those rumors (which if he did) would make your theory look better, instead you come up with some excuse that its the code that hockey players don't do that or something. So what you are saying is hockey players don't squash false rumors? Thats a load of crap, I think you are going to have to think that one through again.

There is also no motive or reason as to why that trade was made in the context that Gillis wanted to. It makes no sense to make that trade in the greater interest of the team at that moment. (Which is obviously the GM's priority to do things in the best interest of the team) That move only makes sense if there were issues behind the scenes and the GM was painted into a corner that the move had to be made. Which was the case. Otherwise, I don't see how someone with the best interest of the team at heart like MG has, made that move at that particular time.

And the Iginla thing is a bit different, the Flames went to Jarome and asked him to accept a trade and they worked through it together, Iggy didn't go to the Flames and ask for a trade.

At this point I think this argument is done cause you just coming up with theories, no addressing the holes, and criticizing the better theory with hypocritical arguments. Since the opinion I bring forth is largely shared, not something I am making up on my own like you.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 29 March 2013 - 03:53 PM.

zackass.png

#365 prana16

prana16

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

I was gunna reply to your post again and go through the whole thing point by point.

Then I stumbled upon this and it has become remarkably clear you are just making your own kool-aid and drinkning it.

There is tons of evidence to support the theory Cody Hodgson didn't want to be here, but you are closing your eyes and denying it, and you are doing exactly what you criticized me for doing and thats putting your personal opinion as fact.

No there isn't any evidence. There is not one statement, not one reaction on trade day, not one reaction since that would suggest he either asked for a trade or didn't want to be here or even expected a trade. Nothing, there is literally not one specific thing you can point to. No players comment on past trades or mngmt unless they are nuts or vets. You kill your career doing that. So there is very good reason for Hodgson to say "no comment" when asked directly.. There is however NO good reason at all for MG to make innuendos other than to cover his ass for an unpopular trade. Normally gillis plays the respect game, normally its all about making vancouver a better culture and organization.. yet in this case he goes out of his way to bad mouth the kid.. his own 1st big draft pick. Completely against cody's known character.. completely against gilis's usual way of doing business. He made a mistake and he knew it. His obsession with size and grit, and AV's obsession with playing a non scoring 3rd line for 25 mins a night against the other teams top line to the detriment of every offensive prospect we have, to the detriment of rolling four lines (detroit's old model :rolleyes: ) its an error, an error that has hurt the team. He's been covering his own ass on this issue ever since and with cody scoring like the twins and playing a 1st line role while zack plays with plugs on the 4th; while the team has no centre's and Kesler is nowhere to be found and likely done as anything beyond a third line checker.. it was a major major mistake.

#366 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,224 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Sadly i think of it all the time. I think about how it gutted the team last year at the deadline killing our secondary offence and second unit powerplay right before a playoff run. I think about how we just gave away two players in two years that were contending for the calder on a team that struggles for offense after the twins. Replacing that rookie with an old shut down centre even though we had a selke winning centre on our roster. I think about how that young rookie got continually demoted for success as this coach is want to do while kesler seems to get a pass because he was good 3 years ago. How all the talk of merit and playing those that give the best chance to win is total bs. An injured ineffective kesler continues to play on the second line no matter how bad he is and no matter how good someone else plays. I think about how Cody should have supplanted Kesler last year if actually by merit.. and this year we would not be screaming for centres. We would not be talking about giving away our best trade asset in years (lu/corey) for yet another 3rd line centre if we hadn't have ditched our first round, calder candidate first line young centre that is scoring the same as the twins this year on a far far worse team. I think about two to three years from now when the twins need to start stepping back into a secondary role, who we have to centre and run this team, because it isn't kesler both on ability, character or health.

Alright first off. Cody Hodgson would not have taken this team anywhere better in the playoffs. Maybe we extend the series to 6 but LA was clearly the better team, and 1 player doesn't change that, especially when he is up against centers like Kopitar, Carter and Richards. Cody wasn't as good as he is now.

And I see the reference to Grabner, which is a comeplete different thing alltogher. Grabner had no place on this team, he needed to be a top 6 guy and all of our top 6 wingers had just come off career years so he wouldn't have earned a spot and in turn wouldn't have made our team, so we would have had to wavie him and we would have lost him for nothing.

We desperately needed a big minutes defenseman and we got that. Ballard hasn't work out as well as we hoped but it doesn't change the fact that he was that and what he was, was our need. Then he came to camp in FLA out of shape so they waived him. It was a breakout year for him with a great opportunity. And great I am a Grabner fan. But he wouldn't have been able to do that in Vancouver.

The Cody treatment by AV things is something I sort of agree with, I think at times AV treated him unfair, but thats the way it goes with all rookies it seems as we are now seeing with Jordan and Zack. I'm not an AV fan myself. But I do know that Cody wouldn't have supplanted Kesler. Kesler had come off back to back 70+ point season and a selke trophy. He was injured so I would have liked to seen AV give Cody more opportunity. But whatever that the way AV goes. I don't think it would have ultimately changed things either way because in the long term he is still stuck behind Kes and Hank, and the "issues" had begun far before that, and it is rumored Cody requested a trade after the finals, so really I don't think it changes anything even if AV gave him more time. But like you I would have liked to see it at the time.

And we would have had to move Lu/Cory either way.

I'm sure zack will be a good player, he's big, mean, has good hands and can actually make some plays.. but cody already is good, he was last year too. the writing was on the wall with kesler, there should have been no worries about playing behind him because it was clear he is not dependable for offence or to even be in the lineup.

I had very high hopes for MG .. but the last 3 seasons or so he has made this team worse. He's given away our offensive prospects and added noting of value in return. He's made miscalculated move after miscalculated move often at the expense of young talented cheap players and large long contracts for vets that don't produce. He's bad mouthed players who's reputations everywhere else are stellar (Bmo, Cody) and made some moves that leave the impression of something shady whether true or not (manny) . Its not time to move on. People in this organization need to be held to account for how they have hurt the team over the last 2 or more seasons.. Gillis and AV have large parts to shoulder in that regards.. we are a team on teh decline and have alienated and traded away the future pieces we should have had. Kassian might end up being bertuzzi but you dont' build a team around bertuzzi.

You are being way unfair to Kesler. He's a better player than Cody Hodgson, it is unfortunate he ran into injures but that doesn't change him as a player and suddenly make him worthless.

I just don't understand how you can say MG has hurt this team. We can go through every move you feel impartial about if you want.

I have already gone through the Grabner trade, the Booth trade was good, There were issues that painted MG into a hole on the Cody thing, otherwise he wouldn't have delt him. The manny thing this is unfortunate. He signed Hamhuis, he signed Garrison, he's done alot of great things.

And Ya you don't build solely around Bertuzzi (though you do bulid around him as a core piece) but Bertuzzi is impossible to acquire in his prime.

zackass.png

#367 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,224 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

No there isn't any evidence. There is not one statement, not one reaction on trade day, not one reaction since that would suggest he either asked for a trade or didn't want to be here or even expected a trade. Nothing, there is literally not one specific thing you can point to. No players comment on past trades or mngmt unless they are nuts or vets. You kill your career doing that. So there is very good reason for Hodgson to say "no comment" when asked directly.. There is however NO good reason at all for MG to make innuendos other than to cover his ass for an unpopular trade. Normally gillis plays the respect game, normally its all about making vancouver a better culture and organization.. yet in this case he goes out of his way to bad mouth the kid.. his own 1st big draft pick. Completely against cody's known character.. completely against gilis's usual way of doing business. He made a mistake and he knew it. His obsession with size and grit, and AV's obsession with playing a non scoring 3rd line for 25 mins a night against the other teams top line to the detriment of every offensive prospect we have, to the detriment of rolling four lines (detroit's old model :rolleyes: ) its an error, an error that has hurt the team. He's been covering his own ass on this issue ever since and with cody scoring like the twins and playing a 1st line role while zack plays with plugs on the 4th; while the team has no centre's and Kesler is nowhere to be found and likely done as anything beyond a third line checker.. it was a major major mistake.

Yes there is.

I have already dug out enough examples and enough evidence, just go back and view my previous posts.

And this isn't Cody Hodgson being critical of the Management. I'll play along and take a sip or yours and Mikes kool-aid for a second here.

Lets say Cody Hodgson didn't request a trade or anything and there were absolutely no issues. So Cody Hodgson is traded. And there are rumors he requested a trade.

Now he has the opportunity both to Scott Oake and Jim Jamieson among others to say, no I didn't request a trade. So if he says that and according to you guys tells the truth. How is that being critical of the managment? All he is doing there is protecting himself saying that he didn't request a trade. He could have said right there that he didn't and that he wished the organization well. He wouldn't have to attack Gillis and call him lier or anything, and he wouldn't. All he would say is that he didn't, no one in his cap requested a trade, and that he wished them well. That wouldn't be a shot at our managment. He's not saying anything bad about our management.

So why would he not do that if infact he or anyone associated with him didn't request or a trade, or wasn't unhappy here or whatever.

Explain it? I just can't understand why he would allow false rumors to make himself look bad when he doesn't have to.

And as you say, this is normally not how Gillis does things.

So doesn't that in itself point to something being fishy here? Or is he suddenly going to go against the way he has opperated from day 1, just in this 1 particular case? for which reason?

What that points to is something fishy, something behind the scenes and that was revealed.

There isnt a conspiracy going on where MG and AV are trying to purposely destroy this franchise. I think you are going overboard to protect your fantasy's that Cody Hodgson is the golden boy and victim in all of this.

zackass.png

#368 prana16

prana16

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

]Grabner had no place on this team

Its rumoured wanted a trade even thought there is zero actual evidence and Cody's stunned reaction would suggest otherwise

These are the mantras of those in complete denial about how MG and AV have run this team.. we signed other wingers, there was room for him.. we needed offence.. since he was gone we got marco sturm and david booth.. both with zero impact at about 6x the cost. You make room for your young talented players That is the detroit model Gillis wanted, you roll 4 balanced lines, you develop your talent not get rid of it.We have had plenty of dead weight taking up roster spots on this team for years yet give away our young prospects only to add to that dead weight.
And Kesler is not a better hockey player than Hodgson right now.. In no way is he better. And he wasnt' better last year either He is an elite 3rd line centre and cody hodgson is a top 6 centre.. he makes his wingers better and scores himself, he's younger cheaper and is actually in the line up .

#369 mikeburn

mikeburn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

Yes there is.

I have already dug out enough examples and enough evidence, just go back and view my previous posts.

And this isn't Cody Hodgson being critical of the Management. I'll play along and take a sip or yours and Mikes kool-aid for a second here.

Lets say Cody Hodgson didn't request a trade or anything and there were absolutely no issues. So Cody Hodgson is traded. And there are rumors he requested a trade.

Now he has the opportunity both to Scott Oake and Jim Jamieson among others to say, no I didn't request a trade. So if he says that and according to you guys tells the truth. How is that being critical of the managment? All he is doing there is protecting himself saying that he didn't request a trade. He could have said right there that he didn't and that he wished the organization well. He wouldn't have to attack Gillis and call him lier or anything, and he wouldn't. All he would say is that he didn't, no one in his cap requested a trade, and that he wished them well. That wouldn't be a shot at our managment. He's not saying anything bad about our management.

So why would he not do that if infact he or anyone associated with him didn't request or a trade, or wasn't unhappy here or whatever.

Explain it? I just can't understand why he would allow false rumors to make himself look bad when he doesn't have to.

So doesn't that in itself point to something being fishy here? Or is he suddenly going to go against the way he has opperated from day 1, just in this 1 particular case? for which reason?

What that points to is something fishy, something behind the scenes and that was revealed.

There isnt a conspiracy going on where MG and AV are trying to purposely destroy this franchise. I think you are going overboard to protect your fantasy's that Cody Hodgson is the golden boy and victim in all of this.

You've answered your own question.

To the extent that Gillis himself started the rumous about Hodgson asking for a trade with his implied "there were issues and we determined Hodgson wanted out" [paraphrased] commentary, for Hodgson to offer any description of matters which ran contrary to the scene Gillis had already painted in the media would have equated to Hodgson calling Gillis a liar.

Best case scenario from there would have been further public exchanges btwn Canucks' mgmt and Hodgson/Hodgson's camp, prolonging the nasties unnecessarily. So, instead, the kid did what most players do when mgmt publicly questions/disses their character and/or ability - he declined to get into it and moved on.

Again, this isn't rocket science. Only human nature. Gillis played word games to put any backlash for the trade onto the player, and the player sucked it up and moved on. Players have to suck it up all the time when their bosses use the media to "say things" (see Kesler for that one ;) ).

#370 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

It's because the Americans are taking over.. Out Hodgson, Lu.... In Schroeder, Schneider haha.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#371 mikeburn

mikeburn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

It's because the Americans are taking over.. Out Hodgson, Lu.... In Schroeder, Schneider haha.

Squirrel? :lol:

#372 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,224 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

You've answered your own question.

To the extent that Gillis himself started the rumous about Hodgson asking for a trade with his implied "there were issues and we determined Hodgson wanted out" [paraphrased] commentary, for Hodgson to offer any description of matters which ran contrary to the scene Gillis had already painted in the media would have equated to Hodgson calling Gillis a liar.

Best case scenario from there would have been further public exchanges btwn Canucks' mgmt and Hodgson/Hodgson's camp, prolonging the nasties unnecessarily. So, instead, the kid did what most players do when mgmt publicly questions/disses their character and/or ability - he declined to get into it and moved on.

Again, this isn't rocket science. Only human nature. Gillis played word games to put any backlash for the trade onto the player, and the player sucked it up and moved on. Players have to suck it up all the time when their bosses use the media to "say things" (see Kesler for that one ;) ).

Actually the rumors started before that, when at the trade deadlines MG refused to comment on the situation when he said something to the effect that those conversations stay behind closed doors.

MG really just explained the reasoning behind them making that transaction. I don't see the issue in that. We get an explaination as to why every move is made, and it was no different in that case. It's unfortunate that it was due to fishy circumstances, but it is a bussiness and everyone has there own interests at heart from time to time.

And yeah I can see how that might suggest MG is a liar, but at the same token, if he polietely declines requesting a trade point blank, and doesn't make any more comments on it, and then thanks the organization and moves on. I see no issue in that. He's not calling out Gillis point blank he is just taking care of himself. I have no issue with that and I am sure most people don't since alot criticized Gillis for it until more details surfaced.

He could have done that, but since he didn't I just have a hard time picturing a scenario where there weren't issues and were Cody didn't want to move to a better opportunity when everything is taken into consideration.

zackass.png

#373 prana16

prana16

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Yes there is.

The victim in this is the canucks and the fans do to absolutely terrible asset management by a GM that had a lot of promise and a Coach that seems to made of teflon.. i mean look at the way he has used and abused gilis own picks and the players he has traded for.. throwing kassian on the 4th after lighting it up with the twins.. that little stint made the kassianvs hodgson crap go away.. then av for whatever reason thought that was working too well.. gillis signs a 4 million defenseman in ballard and av sticks him undeservedly in the press box in favour of rome, or alberts or barker etc. .. AV makes gillis look like an ass on the regular yet MG keeps him around.. AV was the first one to jump on cody.. gilis's prized pick as well. .

Look at your sig and your name.. you shouldn't be suggesting that other people are holding up a golden boy.

#374 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,224 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

[/size]

These are the mantras of those in complete denial about how MG and AV have run this team.. we signed other wingers, there was room for him.. we needed offence.. since he was gone we got marco sturm and david booth.. both with zero impact at about 6x the cost. You make room for your young talented players That is the detroit model Gillis wanted, you roll 4 balanced lines, you develop your talent not get rid of it.We have had plenty of dead weight taking up roster spots on this team for years yet give away our young prospects only to add to that dead weight.
And Kesler is not a better hockey player than Hodgson right now.. In no way is he better. And he wasnt' better last year either He is an elite 3rd line centre and cody hodgson is a top 6 centre.. he makes his wingers better and scores himself, he's younger cheaper and is actually in the line up .

I think you are a year ahead.

The trade was made after the 09/10 season.

After Mason Raymond came off a 25 goal, 53 point season.
After Mikeal Sammuelsson came off a 30 goal 60 points season
After Alex Burrows came off a 35 goal 67 point season.
And then Daniel had also had a PPG season.

So where in this top 6:

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Sammuelsson

Where does Grabner fit, when the ones in red had established career highs in both goals and assists.

And I am sorry Kesler is a better player. Cody is having half of season of offensive hockey in which you could compare the two and make the argument that he is as good or better than Kesler.

Thats not a big enough sample size. Kesler has had two 70+ point seasons. And a 59 Point season before that, aswell as two 25 goal years and a 40 goal year. Until Cody proves consistently he can score at a similar or high pace, I'm giving the edge to Kes. And Kesler blows Cody Hodgson out of the water in the other areas. Kesler is the better player until Cody can prove otherwise with a bigger sample size.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 29 March 2013 - 04:55 PM.

zackass.png

#375 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

What are we still debating?

Hodgson is BETER in comparison to BOTH Kassian AND Kesler this year.

The end.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#376 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,224 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

The victim in this is the canucks and the fans do to absolutely terrible asset management by a GM that had a lot of promise and a Coach that seems to made of teflon.. i mean look at the way he has used and abused gilis own picks and the players he has traded for.. throwing kassian on the 4th after lighting it up with the twins.. that little stint made the kassianvs hodgson crap go away.. then av for whatever reason thought that was working too well.. gillis signs a 4 million defenseman in ballard and av sticks him undeservedly in the press box in favour of rome, or alberts or barker etc. .. AV makes gillis look like an ass on the regular yet MG keeps him around.. AV was the first one to jump on cody.. gilis's prized pick as well. .

Look at your sig and your name.. you shouldn't be suggesting that other people are holding up a golden boy.

First off, your facts are off. And I noticed that in the Grabner arguement aswell, Gillis didn't sign Ballard he traded for him.

And I agree, I am a huge AV hater, not a fan of him at all. Keeping him around is the issue I have with Gillis. But he isnt to blame for how AV treats players. Although he is to blame for not making the change, which I think he should have done long ago.

And am I not allowed to be a fan of Kassian? I was just as big a fan of Cody, probably a bit bigger Cody fan at the time. Was planning on buying a Hodgson jersey actually. I don't think it means anything what my username is. I was planning on changing it far awhile and I couldn't think of a good name, then we traded for Kassian and I came up with this.

zackass.png

#377 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,224 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

What are we still debating?

Hodgson is BETER in comparison to BOTH Kassian AND Kesler this year.

The end.

I don't think that is the debate.

zackass.png

#378 Losing With Pride

Losing With Pride

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,654 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

I think people forget Hodgson was the leading scorer in the WJC ahead of John Tavares.
That and the CHL player of the year...

I'm not saying he's better than Tavares... not even close but his resume was quite impressive.

#379 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

I think people forget Hodgson was the leading scorer in the WJC ahead of John Tavares.
That and the CHL player of the year...

I'm not saying he's better than Tavares... not even close but his resume was quite impressive.

This is a big reason I was absolutely stoked on him when we drafted him. It is SUPER disheartening that we couldn't find a way to keep him, he's a talent that we wont be able to draft again until we REALLY suck.
July 7-2013

View Posttheminister, on 07 July 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

View Postapollo, on 08 July 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#380 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,112 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

Buffalo should add him to their fire sale. Got what you can for him while his numbers are inflated.

#381 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,224 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

We should have traded Hodgson for Kadri.

Damn I'm actually jealous. I doubt his hot streak will go forever, but he is a good player.

zackass.png

#382 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

more like, most uninspired defensive play of the year.

Edited by puck n icehole, 30 March 2013 - 06:57 PM.

Posted Image

formerly......puck n icehole

#383 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

Gillis thought he was soo smart bashing Cody and telling everyone how they gave him so many offensive starts and how he only played against third liners and that was the reason to his success.

This.

Its one thing for Gillis to deliver a parting shot. Gms do that on occasion to their former players.

But this goes well beyond that, and Gillis was so abhorrently unprofessional. Im sure his yapper is firmly shut by now.

#384 vcrguy

vcrguy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

I'd like to find out how the fans on this forum really feel about this trade.

I don't know how to do this, but could someone create a "poll" where the question is, if you could reverse the Hodgson / Kassian trade, would you?

#385 The Vancouver Connection

The Vancouver Connection

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

this trade will go down as the worst one in canucks history, mark my words. worse than the cam neely trade.
Sig too big, 500 KB limit

#386 SabreFan1

SabreFan1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

Buffalo should add him to their fire sale. Got what you can for him while his numbers are inflated.

The Sabres are trying to add young talent, not get rid of it. The team is being dismantled one piece at a time in hopes of a stronger long term future. It's painfully obvious to everybody that they need to shed past mistakes and not make complete new ones. Cody is here to stay.
Posted Image Even though the Sabres are my team, I couldn't resist using this picture. lol

#387 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

We should have traded Hodgson for Kadri.

Damn I'm actually jealous. I doubt his hot streak will go forever, but he is a good player.

Considering where Hodgson was last year compared to Kadri at the same time, probably could have gotten Kadri + more =(

#388 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,224 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

Considering where Hodgson was last year compared to Kadri at the same time, probably could have gotten Kadri + more =(

Lol yeah.

It would have been nice, but no one knew Kadri would do this.

I'm happy with Kassian, but I just wish there was someway to get Kadri on our team.

zackass.png

#389 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

I'd like to find out how the fans on this forum really feel about this trade.

I don't know how to do this, but could someone create a "poll" where the question is, if you could reverse the Hodgson / Kassian trade, would you?

The poll won't be very objective as the sheep blindly listen to what Gillis says.
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#390 SabreFan1

SabreFan1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:55 AM

Big Kass is going to do well once he gets more experience. If AV stays in Vancouver though and keeps tossing him around from line to line, AV is going to stunt his growth and eventually MG will end up trading Kass in a year or two. Kass has been a streaky player for the last 2 1/2 years and the only way that he will grow out of that is by getting more experience through more time on the ice. If he doesn't get it in Vancouver then the organization and its fans risk losing him.
Posted Image Even though the Sabres are my team, I couldn't resist using this picture. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.