397 replies to this topic

#211 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,015 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

Certainly not always true. A kid in a room full of veterans doesn't become a distraction. Maybe if it was Kesler who was asking for a trade it could be. There was no indication at all from Hodgson's play on the ice or demeanour off of it that the way he was treated was going to affect his attitude. Even after he was traded, and Gillis took a few potshots at him, he still refused to badmouth the team, I believe his line was "I'd rather just take the high road" when given the chance to fire back.

Trade value doesn't matter when you don't intend to trade someone. Cody should've been a franchise type of player, he certainly has the talent. You don't trade away guys like that. You just watch, Buffalo won't be as stupid. Personally I fail to understand why Zack Stojanov gets so much more icetime than Cody ever got in Vancouver, despite the fact that Fatassian clearly sucks and provides little that Volpatti and now Sestito couldn't.

Why would you want a player that doesn't wanna be here?

It went way beyond just getting ice time. The relationship between management and coaching was severed a long time before that. People in the media predicted that he wouldn't re-sign here long before that happened.

It becomes a distraction to the coaches and GM when the player is constantly getting his agent/dad to question managements decision.

There's an unwritten rule in hockey, that when a player requests a trade, you respect that wish. You never see someone forced to stay with a team after they've requested a trade.

Edited by DeNiro, 09 March 2013 - 03:40 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#212 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

People still crying in here eh? "Fatassian" huh? stay classy vancouverites. Why not just go buy your Buffalo jerseys so you can stop crying about it all. Bet you all loved Kassian when he was nearly scoring a goal a game to start the season, bunch of fair weather fans.

Don't even bother trying to reason with them in here DeNiro it's a waste of time. They're all obviously smarter then Gillis, AV and the rest of the Canucks organization. You'd be more successful trying to argue with a 5 year old.

Edited by WonderTwinPowers, 09 March 2013 - 03:46 PM.

#213 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,015 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Personally I fail to understand why Zack Stojanov gets so much more icetime than Cody ever got in Vancouver, despite the fact that Fatassian clearly sucks and provides little that Volpatti and now Sestito couldn't.

Yea, because a 21 year old playing his first full season with a 4th line center and a useless winger sucks...

Give your head a shake.

You're probably part of the same group that called Hodgson a bust when he failed to make the team as a 19 year old.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#214 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

Posted Image

#215 snolan

snolan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

Wait a second.. that was on the PK???!

CMON GUYS HAVE SOME FAITH! WE ARE GOING TO WIN. ANYONE CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT IF THEY WANT. YOULL SEE

-- 1st Period of Game 2 VS the Kings, 2012 Series

#216 van_ws

van_ws

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

This makes Gillis look even more like an idiot.. just a crappy trade overall.

Hodgson is the real deal folks.

#217 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

This makes Gillis look even more like an idiot.. just a crappy trade overall.

Hodgson is the real deal folks.

Cody needed more ice time. He had to be traded at some point. However, it would have been better, if Gillis received more in return for him.
Posted Image

#218 Mauii

Mauii

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Wow...nifty play...well done! Keep it up! Saw the fakes in between...very nice. Clearly, an above average hockey player.

Edited by Mauii, 11 March 2013 - 04:47 PM.

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

#219 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,844 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Certainly not always true. A kid in a room full of veterans doesn't become a distraction. Maybe if it was Kesler who was asking for a trade it could be. There was no indication at all from Hodgson's play on the ice or demeanour off of it that the way he was treated was going to affect his attitude. Even after he was traded, and Gillis took a few potshots at him, he still refused to badmouth the team, I believe his line was "I'd rather just take the high road" when given the chance to fire back.

Trade value doesn't matter when you don't intend to trade someone. Cody should've been a franchise type of player, he certainly has the talent. You don't trade away guys like that. You just watch, Buffalo won't be as stupid. Personally I fail to understand why Zack Stojanov gets so much more icetime than Cody ever got in Vancouver, despite the fact that Fatassian clearly sucks and provides little that Volpatti and now Sestito couldn't.

wish the negative button was still around.
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#220 Lulover88

Lulover88

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

no matter ho we try to make ourselves feel better about this trade , at this point it just plain looks horrible .. It actually makes me feel sick inside .. what the f has gillis done ?

#221 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:58 AM

I love it.
There's nothing more entertaining on CDC than listening to people whine about the Hodgson trade.
That alone was worth it.
The fact it also landed a rare gem like Kassian is just cream.

#222 aliboy

aliboy

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

Cody has started turning his +/- around, I think I remember him being -11 not long ago, now is -1, we'll see if this contiunues. It's an important stat for him.

Edited by aliboy, 10 March 2013 - 10:26 AM.

#223 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Yea he's gettin better. Should be at least average D wise soon, could be a bonafide star next year.

#224 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,690 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

Golly, this thread sure has a lot of posts in it for a one-goal highlight discussion.
Posted Image

#225 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,268 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Golly, this thread sure has a lot of posts in it for a one-goal highlight discussion.

Did you expect anything different? Any positive news about Cody Hodgson will always turn into "Why did Gillis trade him?"I'm never one to get my panties in a twist, but this trade is starting to look real bad, in hindsight of course.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#226 InTheCrease

InTheCrease

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

Posted Image

Haha thanks, that made me laugh
I played for the Leafs for three years, Im used to the booing so it wont affect me - Kyle Wellwood

#227 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

Yea, because a 21 year old playing his first full season with a 4th line center and a useless winger sucks...

Give your head a shake.

You're probably part of the same group that called Hodgson a bust when he failed to make the team as a 19 year old.

Absolutely untrue, couldn't be farther from the truth. I never once badmouthed Hodgson, ever. I was ecstatic when we drafted him and followed his junior career and AHL career closely. I never called the Sedins busts either. There's one type of player that I always have extra patience for, and it's the guys with the hockey IQ. The Crosbys and Gretzkys of the world are the top of that heap, but it's also the thing that makes Cody and the Sedin twins stand out for me. It's the intangible thing. Cody has the intangibles. I wanted Cody to be untouchable in trade, as I've always thought he was a gem. Speed and size and all of that are important, but the truly great players have something extra that you can't teach or grow into or train for. Maybe if they decided to treat him with a little respect his attitude would change a little bit.
Posted Image

LUC BOURDON: FEB 16TH, 1987 - MAY 29TH, 2008

#228 wizeman

wizeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

Just watched the replay again. That really is a nice goal by Cody.

#229 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Absolutely untrue, couldn't be farther from the truth. I never once badmouthed Hodgson, ever. I was ecstatic when we drafted him and followed his junior career and AHL career closely. I never called the Sedins busts either. There's one type of player that I always have extra patience for, and it's the guys with the hockey IQ. The Crosbys and Gretzkys of the world are the top of that heap, but it's also the thing that makes Cody and the Sedin twins stand out for me. It's the intangible thing. Cody has the intangibles. I wanted Cody to be untouchable in trade, as I've always thought he was a gem. Speed and size and all of that are important, but the truly great players have something extra that you can't teach or grow into or train for. Maybe if they decided to treat him with a little respect his attitude would change a little bit.

This.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#230 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

OMG we should have Hodgson and Grabner.

We'd score so many goals, and we'd be the toughest team in the league.

Lol @ the Hodgson fanboys.

We'd be better than we are now

#231 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

A bit off topic but I read an odd Hodgson stat. He has 21 points and none of them have come on the PP.

#232 wizeman

wizeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

A bit off topic but I read an odd Hodgson stat. He has 21 points and none of them have come on the PP.

I didnt know that. That is interesting. Means Cody is getting them at even strength and shorties.

#233 HKSR

HKSR

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

I think the problem is, if we were moving Cody anyways, why not have put together a package that GMs would drool over (ie. Hodgson+Schneider+1st+?) to land a true game breaker? A Kovalchuk or Nash would be REALLY helpful right now lol

#234 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

So much for his skating is going to prevent him from becoming a star or a threat 5 on 5...

That goal was on the pk too.

Wait till he starts putting up power play points. I'm pretty sure he's on the 2nd unit?

Kid is going to be a star.

Edit:
^^^^
I agree, that's what annoys me about the trade, we could have gotten something to help us win a cup now, not 4 years from now.

They were more high on Foligno, we probably could have packaged Schroeder with something for Kassian this year.

Edited by TheGame., 11 March 2013 - 04:03 PM.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#235 mikeburn

mikeburn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

It's been quoted/stated a few times in this thread alone -

19 pts @ even strength
2 pts @ short handed (1 assist on a great setup for Pominville, then the solo effort producing a goal which ignited this thread)
= 21 pts total

#236 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

its nice but it has nothing on this especially b/c its 1 vs 5 + rinne too, not a backup like the goal cody had against hurricanes

http://youtu.be/sUYapNJLOKo

Difference is that was Datsyuk, who is known league-wide as the world's best puck handler in the game... Hodgson is just 23, so to be able to do that at 23 and still growing/developing is phenomenal especially at the NHL level.

#237 David Booth

David Booth

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

Difference is that was Datsyuk, who is known league-wide as the world's best puck handler in the game... Hodgson is just 23, so to be able to do that at 23 and still growing/developing is phenomenal especially at the NHL level.

You know highlights don't make players. It's relaly about how well you play overall and under stress and pressure. Hodgson may have had one fortuitous goal, but that doesn't guarantee he's good like that all the time.

#238 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

In the end of the day, it's not that the Canucks lost Hodgson, it's that the Canucks basically traded him with a massive discount.
A legit NHL forward with huge potentially will always worth more than an unproven prospect with only potentially (unless you're a top-3 pick).

Hodgson would have helped now more than Kassian, something that is counter to what MG has said. Maybe Zack may become the next Lucic/Bertuzzi/Benn.... but when you're a contender, you trade to go forward, not backwards.

#239 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

You know highlights don't make players. It's relaly about how well you play overall and under stress and pressure. Hodgson may have had one fortuitous goal, but that doesn't guarantee he's good like that all the time.

He nearly scored another shorthanded goal last game. His slapshot entering the zone squeaked through the goalie and just barely stopped on the goal line before the defenseman scooped it out.

#240 David Booth

David Booth

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

He nearly scored another shorthanded goal last game. His slapshot entering the zone squeaked through the goalie and just barely stopped on the goal line before the defenseman scooped it out.

An own goal scored in his name would then make him a better player. I get your theory can I learn from you?

:bigblush: tries not laughing but ... cant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.