The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cody Hodgson with the goal of the year?

Wow, it's a sick goal but some of the reactions here are ridiculous.

Hodgson is not better than Kesler. His offensive production likely won't match up to Kesler's best as the season goes along, and keep in mind that not only is he on the #1 PP unit, but he gets #1 offensive playing time alongside Thomas Vanek (who's been the main reason for CoHo's points). Kesler's defensive and physical abilities are in another dimension compared to Cody, and he's far more versatile.

Is he better than Kassian right now? Yeah. But this was a trade for the future, make your definitive analysis then.

It's a great goal and Hodgson's a talented young guy with a lot of upside, but there's some crazy overreaction going on here. It's a highlight against some poor defence and an AHL goalie, it does not make a player (or for that matter, 2 other players).

It was a nice goal for sure, but Kassian almost had just as nice a one last night (minus the toe drag). Fact of the matter is, Cody wanted out and there was no way of knowing Kesler would be out, nor that Manny would be shut down. I do agree he was mistreated with AVs ego at times, but ego can be a 2 way street and it sounds like Cody had lot's of it himself.

If Carolina actually played physical, this goal probably doesn't happen.Let's see Cody pull this off against Boston, that's where Kassian will shine brighter. Comparing 2 players that are the polar opposite in terms of finesse vs power forward makes no sense. I am sure there will both have some hi-light reel goals throughout their careers.

I will reserve judgment for a few years.

Few years is too late, we need win the cup now. Team is getting old. I don't know about you but once I hit 35 I can't lift the same or joints ain't the same no more.

Awesome goal by Cody, stop making excuses and be a hater. He beat 5 guys without speed is even more impressive.

Ps: I'm Kassian all the way now that he's been a Canucks long enough and I see what he can or protentially bring.

Hodgson is playing on a top line.

When Kassian played a handful of games on the top line he scored 5 goals, and was scoring at the same pace as Hodgson. Then AV takes him off.

If Kassian was being given the same opportunities, his point totals would be much higher. He's also got a year in hand of development for himself though.

Kesler and Booth ought to watch this video over and over again. This is how you gain the zone. This is how you bring it over the blue line by yourself. Look at the patience. Look at the calm.

I'm not COHO's biggest fan, but that was a beauty.

Wow, it's a sick goal but some of the reactions here are ridiculous.

Hodgson is not better than Kesler. His offensive production likely won't match up to Kesler's best as the season goes along, and keep in mind that not only is he on the #1 PP unit, but he gets #1 offensive playing time alongside Thomas Vanek (who's been the main reason for CoHo's points). Kesler's defensive and physical abilities are in another dimension compared to Cody, and he's far more versatile.

Is he better than Kassian right now? Yeah. But this was a trade for the future, make your definitive analysis then.

It's a great goal and Hodgson's a talented young guy with a lot of upside, but there's some crazy overreaction going on here. It's a highlight against some poor defence and an AHL goalie, it does not make a player (or for that matter, 2 other players).

There is no rule in hockey that states Cody Hodgson and Ryan Kesler cannot play on the same team.

Funny how when Hodgson scores he's slow and Carolina are bad defensively. But when Datsyuk scores there isn't much mention that it was Legwand a forward that he went around or Rinne letting in a soft one.

I just find it funny how MG sold everyone, saying how this trade was going to help us for our cup run and make an impact for the cup run. When in reality it was just total BS, or he really doesn't know a players impact yet, and doesn't realize it will take about 2-3 years down the road to even see a real impact. Horrible trade.

Please everyone shut up about Hodgson, it is so sad and pathetic. You are like a dude that stalks an ex-girlfriend after she dumps you (Hodgson dumped us BTW).

Are we going to hear this whining every time he has a good game? I know we hear silence when he has a terrible game. He has decent points (and is a minus player) on a terrible team that isn't in a playoff position. that team has already fired their coach and has a very well reported dysfunctional dressing room.

You are the same goobers who whine that just because Ballard and Booth were great on Florida.. it doesn't make them good players on a good team. This is the exact same logic except in reverse.

Man are alot of fans insecure about Cody's success.

Kids a great offensive talent. We all knew it and his past and current success is proof.

Fact is he was a top 6 or bust talent and we already had one of the best 1-2 combos in the league.

Just curious who he should have replaced? The Hart trophy winner or the Selke 40 goal guy.

Would have loved to see him come of age in Van but it became a numbers game. It is asinine to keep comparing him to either of our top centers and Kassian.

I don't think this is true at all. Kesler and Manny were injured at the time of the trade and had struggled all year. Manny was doubted to ever regain form and his days were seen as numbered. Keslers injuries were blurred, but it hardly took any foresight to know he was at a high risk of re-injury and his playmaking/chemistry issues lingered. Nothing unexpected has really happened since the deal, we traded a centre at a time when we had questions about 2 others, on top of it, we never replaced the position.

Also, I think Cody has more points vs Boston since the finals, than the entire team had that series. He's not the type to disappear vs larger/physical teams. Rather the opposite, he's a big game player, always has been.

I agree though that we shouldn't take it out on Kass, I have liked him since he came here, and think he could turn into a really good player. Ultimately, him and Cody didn't meet in some back office, shake hands and swap jerseys. They shouldn't be blamed for the mistakes of others.

What the hell is wrong with you guys?! Why does CDC have to hate on one player in order to boost another. Loungo Vs. Schneider. Cody Vs. Zack. The name calling? Kass dick riders? It's kind of hypocritical to say that without implying your a Cody dick rider isn't it? I hate when people come up with lame names like Lou lover or Kass dick rider just because someone supports a player because it in fact points out that anyone who supports anyone or anything is a fan boy.

That was a sick goal. Good to see Cody is thriving with his new team and getting the ice time he wanted. Kass is developing into a fine player and in future years will probably become the dominating power forward that this franchise has sorely needed for so long. Both teams got what they needed. One of those win-win trades I think.

I don't hate on Kassquatch it's not his fault the deal went down. I hate on AV becuase he is nothing more then a average coach at best, MG for being horrible at trading and analyzing talent, and Kes for being a one hit wonder diving diva. This trade was like watching your kid drop out of high school 2 weeks before grad. So close but now so far away.

It was a ill timed trade(we can all agree on that thanks to a first round exit) and the return was less then what was given. Simple as that. Everything Gillis talks about building a franchise off the Detroit model he contradicts with mundane moves such as this then has the audacity to throw the kid under the bus but not on the day of the trade no 2 weeks later after being constantly hounded by the media and the fans. Bonehead move but what can i do? Only thing i can do is support the Kraken Kassquatch and hopes he out developes Cody but that seems unlikely. But still a dumb trade and honestly has Gillis made a good trade yet?

It's safe to say the A.V. screwed us over. The reason Coho wanted to leave, is because he wasn't getting ice time. Ice time he rightly deserved. Over the past two seasons Coho has been better for Kesler yet Kesler always gets lots of ice time because of his past play. I'm not saying that Kassian isn't going to be a good player as he is more of a long term project but I think many people hate Coho undeservingly. He deserved the ice time, A.V. was just being A.V.

The irony to your implied assessment that Hodgson is such a defensive liability that he's somehow single-handedly responsible for Buffalo suffering on the goals against, is that this thread was started to talk about a sick goal the kid had just scored - short-handed, solo-effort, from a take away in the neutral zone to going in and around the D.

Short-handed because Buffalo's mgmt didn't rely on the opinions of disgruntled Canuck fans to evaluate the Hodgson's potential, but instead appear to have deliberately and consistently put the kid into situations for him to gain the experience needed to develop into a solid two-way player. I haven't seen anyone suggest he's entirely there yet, but he's clearly on the way.

He's got his screwy moments in the defensive zone, he sure ain't perfect in the dot, and he's only average for blocking shots and hits. But his d-zone flop moments are significantly less frequent, his FO % is steadily improving, and he's putting more of his body into the play than the likes of many of our Canucks... You don't want to rely on just points to evaluate his play, okay -

Hodgson has more blocked shots than all Canucks (excluding Weise by 1), more hits than the likes of either Sedin, has more takeaways than all Canucks (excluding Higgins, by 5), and fewer giveaways than the likes the Sedins (and Kassian, go figure). Hodgson has taken by far the most FOs for Buffalo (454), sucked to begin the season but has steadily improved to 46.7%. Comparably, Henrik has by the far most FOs for canucks (429), with only a 49.9% to show after years of 1st line NHL experience.

When you plug back in the part about point production, the kid only looks better. It's hard to compare the PP and SH production, seeing how Hodgson gets next to nothing on the PP and under AV, the Sedins are seemingly "protected" from PK duty, but at even strength Hodgson looks solid -

354:25 Hodgson - 19 pts

343:50 Sedin, H - 17 pts

321:47 Sedin, D - 15 pts

299:03 Burrows - 11 pts

So we've heard all the anti-Hodgson arguments from disgruntled Canucks mgmt and those who seem to fall for the trade exuse stories with sheep-like glasses...

Oh, Hodgson only did well when on the Canucks because coaching staff "protected" him from his own defensive liabilities (in other words, mgmt didn't support the kid's all-round development)...

Oh, Hodgson only did so well because he never had to go up against other team's top lines and d pairings (except, now that he has been, he's been out-producing the Canucks' own top players).

Oh, Hodgson is weak and slow (gee, didn't we hear that about the Sedins back when they first broke into the league?)

Oh, Hodgson is now only being made to look good by Vanek and Pominville (conveniently forgetting the fact that linemates are *supposed* to feed off each other, just like the Sedins, and the stats that clearly show Hodgson's linemates are clearly getting just as much from playing with him).

This thread seems to be started because the OP had a WOW moment watching a sweet goal on a solo short-handed effort. Shame certain posters around here can't just dump the lame efforts to bash the kid. Funny too, seeing how the Sedins were first treated as young players (weak, slow, etc.) - you'd think Canuck fans woulda learned by now...

In my opinion Raymond has been great for us over the last two years and he gets good streaks. But mayray is just a streak player not consistent. Cody is pure skill and when he was with the canucks I had him down as a new age 'Joe Sakic'. As in potential and skill set to reach that level.

Kessler is good but not great. He's a grinding two way forward and with the way he plays that just won't last long, again that's my opinion. And always has been my opinion since 'the trade'. That's why Kessler was diving. It's a sign of weakness and we have to understand which kind of players they are not just that they are all players. Simply put the level that Kessler made it to with his play style is not sustainable.

Would love him to prove me wrong but I take CH any day any time over RK. And that's just pure foresight and doing what's best for the organization in the years to come. For some reason personal issues overshadowed doing what's best for the team and fans. That was keeping CH no matter what and letting him develope on the team further.

Instead we have to watch as our current roster fades and he enters his prime.

Tough pill to swallow but I support CH and the canucks. I even support RK but gotta call it how I see it even if that looks bad. Again it's about what I think is best for the teams future.

With Cody scoring 2 out of the 3 goals tonight he was the reason that the Sabres even looked respectable last night.

With that having been said, a power forward takes longer to develop so the jury will be out on Big Kass for another couple of years. AV needs to get Kass off of the 4th friggin' line though. He will not develop properly until he starts getting some minutes. All AV is doing is using Kass as a backup goon. That's just stupid plain and simple.

Like I said in my thread from the other day, I am definitely happy that Cody is working out well for us.

At the same time I'm pulling for Kass to do well. He's a stand up guy.

Archived