#241 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

I love it.
There's nothing more entertaining on CDC than listening to people whine about the Hodgson trade.
That alone was worth it.
The fact it also landed a rare gem like Kassian is just cream.

Maybe you should consider the fact that fans of other teams who despise ours are very much enjoying this as well. This is looking like a very bad trade right now.

Gillis traded a guy who could help us now for a guy who might help us a few seasons down the road, when our core will be a couple years older. To enjoy something like this seems machoistic to me.

#242 Lulover88

Lulover88

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

Maybe you should consider the fact that fans of other teams who despise ours are very much enjoying this as well. This is looking like a very bad trade right now.

Gillis traded a guy who could help us now for a guy who might help us a few seasons down the road, when our core will be a couple years older. To enjoy something like this seems machoistic to me.

i hope your right .. that is what i like to think too ... only time will tell though .. and right now the deal looks stinky stinky ..

#243 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

You know highlights don't make players. It's relaly about how well you play overall and under stress and pressure. Hodgson may have had one fortuitous goal, but that doesn't guarantee he's good like that all the time.

How is that goal fortuitous? Show me another scrub doing something close to that just once in their career. And that goal was under a minute left trying to push for a tie. Isn't that pressure enough?

A fortuitous goal is receiving a pass from Henrik Sedin with the goalie facing the wrong direction.
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#244 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

I really thought that was in slow motion. What were the defenders thinking? Good skills though, credit where credit is due.

I still preferred his Boston "shot"..........the ringing off the metal followed by Thomas having a double take and the look on the coach's face............epic.
Kevin.jpg

#245 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

I really thought that was in slow motion. What were the defenders thinking? Good skills though, credit where credit is due.

I still preferred his Boston "shot"..........the ringing off the metal followed by Thomas having a double take and the look on the coach's face............epic.

Oh God, I still can watch that goal when I'm feeling depressed and it cheers me up. Tim Thomas looks back with "WTF" in his face. The entire TD Garden deflates almost instantly with the sound of that Ping!

Also a big fan of his goal versus Detroit earlier in the year. The place was rocking because the Canucks had just scored a few seconds earlier, then Cody takes a puck and waltzes right up the middle of the zone, and smokes it post and in past Howard. Playoff level celebration for that one. Recommend youtubing it. That kid can really shoot the puck.
Posted Image

LUC BOURDON: FEB 16TH, 1987 - MAY 29TH, 2008

#246 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,286 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

Could care less what highlight reel fans of other teams think about the trade - and I don't agree with your assessment of the deal at all - nor do I ignore that actual context of the deal.

Kassian is getting 45.4% offensive zone starts (impressive that a coach like AV trusts a rookie that way actually), he has a +8.75 relative corsi (relative to a good team), is being shuffled around to different lines and roles due to injuries at center - essentially playing with a shutdown center, Lapierre, most of his minutes - and is performing well regardless of the situations of his opportunities. We saw what he's capable of when he gets top line opportunities. We also see that he's a quality two way player that plays well when his role is reversed. The opinions of people who overlook what he brings don't concern me - if they want to pretend this was a very bad trade, they don't really know much about the players involved.
Kassian isn't a project that will help in the future - he's a very solid rookie with a great balance of qualities he brings that are valuable right now.
Nothing wrong whatsoever with this deal. Still entertained by all the far-sighted whining.

#247 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

Gillis seems lost in these moves.He better pull a rabbit out of his 'hat' or he's toast.

#248 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

I see he has 2 more goals today, haven't seen the actual goals though yet. They are losing 5-3 to Washington.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#249 wizeman

wizeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

I think Cody is doing awesome but I am concerned about his ability to help our team. He is scoring points on Buffalo's top line and top unit power play.

He was never going to play with the Sedins so he would never have been given the same kind of talent to play with. I dont think Cody was fast enough to keep up with Kesler or Raymond so who knows what line he would have ended up with.

Cody could not fit in here . I am so happy hes doing well in Buffalo. He scored a couple tonight against the capitals too !!!

#250 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

cody would help this PP big time with his right hand shot... especially with kesler out.. :picard:

#251 gaydar

gaydar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

POPULAR

Could care less what highlight reel fans of other teams think about the trade - and I don't agree with your assessment of the deal at all - nor do I ignore that actual context of the deal.

Kassian is getting 45.4% offensive zone starts (impressive that a coach like AV trusts a rookie that way actually), he has a +8.75 relative corsi (relative to a good team), is being shuffled around to different lines and roles due to injuries at center - essentially playing with a shutdown center, Lapierre, most of his minutes - and is performing well regardless of the situations of his opportunities. We saw what he's capable of when he gets top line opportunities. We also see that he's a quality two way player that plays well when his role is reversed. The opinions of people who overlook what he brings don't concern me - if they want to pretend this was a very bad trade, they don't really know much about the players involved.
Kassian isn't a project that will help in the future - he's a very solid rookie with a great balance of qualities he brings that are valuable right now.
Nothing wrong whatsoever with this deal. Still entertained by all the far-sighted whining.

Nerds like you who constantly reference only advanced stats are absolutely comical. You're honestly going to sit there and say a guy with 12 goals and 24 points right now wouldn't help us? Give your head a shake man.

#252 mikeburn

mikeburn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:00 AM

I think Cody is doing awesome but I am concerned about his ability to help our team. He is scoring points on Buffalo's top line and top unit power play.

He was never going to play with the Sedins so he would never have been given the same kind of talent to play with. I dont think Cody was fast enough to keep up with Kesler or Raymond so who knows what line he would have ended up with.

Cody could not fit in here . I am so happy hes doing well in Buffalo. He scored a couple tonight against the capitals too !!!

Just a small aside - Hodgson has only been on the "top power play unit" for two games, with tonight's power-play goal being one of few bright lights in the Sabres' rather dismal power-play (they're 30th in the league in PP%, so even worse than the Canucks at 26th).

Hodgson has been, however, one of the regular go-to guys on the Sabres penalty kill, even happens to lead his team in short-handed points - only two, but good for being better than all Canucks (seeing how Canucks haven't tallied even 1 short-handed goal so far).

So even if Hodgson couldn't keep up with Kesler or Hanson, it'd be kinda nice to have him on the Canucks' penalty-kill this season. Seems he's not such a deadbeat "defensive liability" as we were made to believe ;-)

#253 mikeburn

mikeburn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:03 AM

The bolded/underlined comment is interesting. Particularly as, when attempting to rationalize the Hodgson trade after the fact, MG suggested that Hodgson was given so many offensive-zone starts because he WAS NOT "trusted". Presuming MG wouldn't lie to distract attention from the trade by discrediting Hodgson's potential, we can only assume that Kassian is getting such a high percentage of o-zone starts because the coach does NOT trust him ;)

#254 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,567 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

Filthy goal, scored on my daughters birthday, great job cody.

#255 wizeman

wizeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

Just a small aside - Hodgson has only been on the "top power play unit" for two games, with tonight's power-play goal being one of few bright lights in the Sabres' rather dismal power-play (they're 30th in the league in PP%, so even worse than the Canucks at 26th).

Hodgson has been, however, one of the regular go-to guys on the Sabres penalty kill, even happens to lead his team in short-handed points - only two, but good for being better than all Canucks (seeing how Canucks haven't tallied even 1 short-handed goal so far).

So even if Hodgson couldn't keep up with Kesler or Hanson, it'd be kinda nice to have him on the Canucks' penalty-kill this season. Seems he's not such a deadbeat "defensive liability" as we were made to believe ;-)

I appreciate your post, but I wrote he could not keep up with Kesler or Raymond. But you are right. He couldnt keep up with Hansen either.

I dont think Cody was going to wait around hoping for a lock out season where Kesler was injured to get his second minute ice time. I dont think he scores 24 points in 29 games from the second line. He can play on the half boards on the power play , but it wouldnt be on the first unit.

A lot of guys waiting a lot longer would get first crack at Keslers spot. Who knows right?

I am happy for Hodgson because I am a cody fan. I just dont delude myself into believing he was the right fit for our team and most importantly, I am not going to re hash a bunch of scenarios that arent ever going to come true here for us so no good is going to come of it.

I watch the Sabres games all the time and root for Cody to succeed. That is enough for me.

#256 Claiborne55

Claiborne55

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

It's hard enough to watch Hodgson get a beauty of a goal like that... but does he have to celebrate with Ehrhoff too... that's too much.  Just Cruel.

Edited by Claiborne55, 18 March 2013 - 08:34 AM.

#257 mikeburn

mikeburn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

More evidence to debunk the shrug off by certain posters that Hodgson is merely riding on Vanek's coattails -

http://blogs.buffalo...-chemistry.html

Vanek and Ott switched as lines seek chemistry

March 19, 2013 - 1:54 PM

By Mike Harrington

MONTREAL -- Thomas Vanek has two goals in the last 11 games, while Jason Pominville has two in his last 12 (and none in the last seven), so interim coach Ron Rolston is breaking up his top line for tonight's game in the Bell Centre.

Vanek will skate with Tyler Ennis and Ville Leino, while Steve Ott moves to the No. 1 unit with Pominville and Cody Hodgson. The line of Marcus Foligno-Kevin Porter-Brian Flynn stays intact while the fourth line will be Drew Stafford-Patrick Kaleta-Jochen Hecht.

"We're not winning as much as we want so obviously we're going to change things up but it doesn't matter," Vanek said. "Whoever you play with you try to make the best out of it. I've always said it doesn't matter who you play with, how much. You're a professional and you move on and deal with it.

"It's not working the way we have been. Overall as a line we haven't been going as good as we want to. We're still creating stuff, my chances aren't going in."

Rolston said Sunday he felt the line was getting stale and reiterated that point today. He also like Ott's game in Washington, where the most irascible Sabre was under the Caps' skin all night drawing penalties. "He certainly offers a lot to a line," Rolston said.

"He plays heavy, gets in there, makes space and plays with a certain attitude. He's been that way since I've been here so it gives him a good opportunity."

"I'm excited," Ott said. "Cody has been phenomenal all year. He's a young talent that's worked hard. He's progressed and you can really see it in his game."

Vanek has really enjoyed playing with Hodgson, a right-handed shot who can feed him on either side of the ice. Ennis is a left-handed shot.

"With Cody I've had good chemistry. It's going to be different for me for a little bit," Vanek said. "I just have to adjust to those two [Ennis and Leino] and see where I can find my chances."

"Thomas is an amazing player," Ennis said. "Just get him the puck. When he's got the puck on his stick, there's a good chance it's going in. Sometimes it's good to switch it up. Change things up a bit might spark something."

"It's something where we're probably trying to spread scoring throughout the lines," Ott said. "Van has been an extremely strong asset for his team. He instantly makes any line he goes on a lot better. For myself, I try to play my similar game and hopefully find some chemistry throughout the lineup."

#258 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,286 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

The bolded/underlined comment is interesting. Particularly as, when attempting to rationalize the Hodgson trade after the fact, MG suggested that Hodgson was given so many offensive-zone starts because he WAS NOT "trusted". Presuming MG wouldn't lie to distract attention from the trade by discrediting Hodgson's potential, we can only assume that Kassian is getting such a high percentage of o-zone starts because the coach does NOT trust him ;)

what?

funny you should bring that up - you missed the point - got things bass ackwards.

45% ozone starts, not a high percentage - apparently that's less than 50%. ;)

Young players who are not trusted get sheltered minutes and high ozone starts - as in over 50%.

Kassian not only isn't getting sheltered ozone starts, he faces a stronger quality of competition than the majority of the Canucks - as a rookie - and is 9th on the club in relative corsi.

To put it in perspective, Hodgson was 17th last year despite his (actually high) ozone starts.

Come back with another wink when you've processed the point.

Edited by oldnews, 19 March 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#259 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,286 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

It's hard enough to watch Hodgson get a beauty of a goal like that... but does he have to celebrate with Ehrhoff too... that's too much. Just Cruel.

Yeah - Ehrhoff's two goals would sure look good in a Canucks uniform - as would his 5 last year...
Why MG didn't give this guy 10 years is beyond me.

Edited by oldnews, 19 March 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#260 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

Take your positivity elsewhere,

We're not into it.

#261 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

Lol

#262 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

i love this hodgson is slow crap... if anyone actually watces any buffalo games he seems to keep up with vanek and pominville pretty easily shift in and shift out and wins races to loose pucks on the pk time after time .. yeah hes a mess on a team that gets lit up hes only a -1 with 12 goals and 12 assists .... and people like to say kassian needs top line minutes to produce... well cody managed to get 19 goals off the 3rd line so why cant this "beast" kassian do the same? he aparently so much bigger and tougher and faster than cody with great hands.. what is he now 20 games without a goal? and has a bad back already at the age of 22 what a stud..

#263 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

Well, he was on pace for 43 points behind Kesler and Henrik so I doubt he needs top talent to play well offensively. He only had 16 minutes of ice time or more per game a few times when he played here.
Posted Image

#264 Patrick Kane

Patrick Kane

Assistant to Regional Manager

• Members
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

Well, he was on pace for 43 points behind Kesler and Henrik so I doubt he needs top talent to play well offensively. He only had 16 minutes of ice time or more per game a few times when he played here.

Absolutely impressive!

Also the term "sheltered minutes" is being thrown around too much. Yes, Hodgson may have had sheltered minutes on Vancouver, but clearly he seems to be able to face top defense pairings as he has 24 pts in 30gp.

You will be missed.

#265 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

Absolutely impressive!

Also the term "sheltered minutes" is being thrown around too much. Yes, Hodgson may have had sheltered minutes on Vancouver, but clearly he seems to be able to face top defense pairings as he has 24 pts in 30gp.

Gillis and AV suck.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#266 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

Another 2 points tonight for Hodgson. :bigblush:

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#267 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,134 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

Without Vanek as well so there goes that excuse...

#268 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,041 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Kadri with 3.

I'd rather have him right about now.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#269 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • 24,149 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

Ehrhoff also had 3 points. Wish we had them both -_-

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#270 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,437 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Kadri with 3.

I'd rather have him right about now.

Brian Burke already confirmed that he never wanted to part with Kadri. It's up to you wether you want to believe the Toronto Media, or the Vancouver Media, but he was really never avaialble.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.