48 replies to this topic

#31 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:30 AM

Pierre McGuire just mentioned an idea that's been kicking around for a while on this issue. What needs to happen is that the insurance companies need to stop underwriting the contracts of players that don't wear visors. Problem solved if that ever happens.

#32 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

And it should be mandatory. I really don't give a damn if it bothers other people.

If an NHL player gets hit in the eye with a puck it has absolutely zero effect on your life so why be so adamant about it?

I don't care either way, if they do or don't become mandatory, I would rather they don't but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if they do....

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#33 Starfruits

Starfruits

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

Eric Staal: Marc Staal 'staying positive' after injury
Submitted by chipalexander on 03/06/2013 - 14:32

The Canes' Eric Staal said he has talked with brother Marc Staal today but still is unsure about the severity of Marc's injury.
Staal, a defenseman with the New York Rangers, was hit by the puck near the right eye on a deflected shot Tuesday night.
"I talked to him this morning and he seemed to be feeling a little better and was in a little better spirits," Eric Staal said in an interview Wednesday. "They have to wait for the swelling to go down, so there's not much more we will know about it until then. Maybe later today.
"Hopefully he dodged a bullet. All we can do for now is keep him in our prayers. He's staying positive about it, which is the kind of person he is."
Staal was told about the injury Tuesday night following the Canes' 4-3 victory over the Buffalo Sabres. He later watched a replay -- Philadelphia's Kimmo Timonen took a slap shot from the point that deflected off the stick of the Flyers' Jacob Voracek and into Staal's eye -- said he immediately could tell Marc had been badly hurt.
"Marc said the pain he felt was pretty severe. I know I was sick to my stomach and felt like I would throw up seeing him down and kicking his legs like that," Eric said.
Eric and Jordan Staal of the Canes, like their brother, do not wear helmet visors. But Eric said he may have to reconsider that choice.
"I think about it before every season," he said. "I hear it from my wife and my mom, but I'm so used to not wearing one.
"But when someone close to you, or anyone really, has an injury like this, it does make you think about it."

Read more here:
http://blogs.newsobs...r#storylink=cpy

#34 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

That looked absolutely horrible! Poor guy. I hope he's going to be ok and not suffer any permanent damage.

I understand the argument against making visors mandatory since guys would have to take their helmets off to fight, possibly leading to more head injuries if their heads hit the ice on the take down. But seeing something like that or what happened to Manny, if you're not a fighter why wouldn't you wear one?
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#35 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

If an NHL player gets hit in the eye with a puck it has absolutely zero effect on your life so why be so adamant about it?

I don't care either way, if they do or don't become mandatory, I would rather they don't but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if they do....

Because it will prevent injuries like these, plain and simple. Sure, you can give me excuses on freak accidents. But freak accidents are not an excuse to not take every precaution you can.
EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#36 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Because it will prevent injuries like these, plain and simple. Sure, you can give me excuses on freak accidents. But freak accidents are not an excuse to not take every precaution you can.

Wearing a visor most definitely will prevent devastating injurys like the ones Manny and Mark got. No ones arguing that.

#37 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

Wearing a visor most definitely will prevent devastating injurys like the ones Manny and Mark got. No ones arguing that.

Don't forget about Mathius Ohlund too. Despite his awesomeness at maintaining his high level of play, his eye was never the same.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#38 DSVII

DSVII

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

Hopefully he can make a full recovery. what a sickening injury :(

"The Canucks, are like North America, many of us have it so much better than others around the world or NHL, and we don't properly appreciate what we have."

"If Canucks fans hate Mason Raymond so bad, then you should have said something before the trade deadline! Because the Leafs would have totally taken him. I mean, can he score? Can he play a HINT of defense? WE'LL TAKE HIM! WE'LL TAKE TWO!"

- Steve Dangle (Leafs Fan Reaction - youtube)

#39 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,356 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

Watching a replay it looked as the puck was going end over end and the puck hit him flat.
Posted Image

#40 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

Don't forget about Mathius Ohlund too. Despite his awesomeness at maintaining his high level of play, his eye was never the same.

Damn! Almost forgot about his eye, what a trooper.

#41 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

RANGERS SAY STAAL'S EYE INJURY HAS IMPROVED SIGNIFICANTLY

The New York Rangers say that Marc Staal's eye injury has improved significantly since Tuesday night and doctors are optimistic that he will make a full recovery.

Staal was hurt in the third period of Tuesday's game against the Philadelphia Flyers when a deflected slap shot hit him in his right eye.

In a statement, the Rangers said that Staal was examined on Wednesday in New York by Dr. Mark Fromer, an ophthalmologist, and Dr. Mendel Markowitz, a maxillofacial surgeon.

The team said that Staal will be sidelined indefinitely.

Marc Staal's brother, Carolina Hurricanes captain Eric Staal, spoke to NHL.com about his younger brother's status.

Eric said he spoke to Marc on Wednesday morning. "He sounded like he was in OK spirits but we don't know a lot right now. Obviously we're saying prayers and hoping he dodged a bullet as far as being struck in that area. We'll know more with some more time."

Eric said that when he saw the play after the Hurricanes win over the Sabres on Tuesday night that he was bothered when he saw his brother in pain on the ice.

"It's scary to see. It's an awful feeling and it made me sick to my stomach seeing him in that pain with his legs kicking. But, it was good to talk to him [Wednesday] and, hopefully, everything is going to be OK."

Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#42 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

Posted Image

Watching a replay it looked as the puck was going end over end and the puck hit him flat.

In this video it looks like it's coming straight then it looks like it hits him right in the eyebrow.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 06 March 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#43 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

Hope he gets better.
Posted Image

#44 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,206 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

They're adults, if they don't want to wear a shield, why would the league make them? It's their career, their life

#45 xWCMx

xWCMx

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

They're adults, if they don't want to wear a shield, why would the league make them? It's their career, their life

They're adults, if they don't want to wear helmets, why would the league make them?
Posted Image

Sig removed - inappropriate ^ how was this inappropriate?

#46 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

I don't think we should allow Bieksa to not wear a visor. If you are on the Canucks team you must wear a visor. When you play this high intensity game for 20 years, its only a matter of time before a puck or a stick get into your eyes.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#47 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

They're adults, if they don't want to wear helmets, why would the league make them?

If you look at the history of injurys in hockey, injurys to the eye are practically non-existent, head injurys, however, are extremely common.

Next people will be wanting mouth guards made mandatory but at that point you may as well just make cage helmets mandatory.

Pretty soon people will want pillows duck taped to players to avoid bruises...

And in the end all physicality will be eliminated from the game completely.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 07 March 2013 - 07:45 PM.

#48 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

More equipment=less violence.

I mean, just look at the history of pro football.

#49 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

If it's mandatory it would cause more fighters to take their helmets when they fight and result in more head injuries! :emot-parrot:

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.