The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Marc Staal gets puck to the face

Here's a good up close shot of the puck hitting his eye in motion and .gif.. It look like the impact hit just right between the eye and socket... He shut his eye in time, but you can see the puck push it in.... Ooh....That gotta hurt like hell... >_<

staalface_medium.gif

That was Malhotra revisited, wasn't it. I have often wondered why the Rangers have so many players that don't wear visors compared to the other teams in the league? I wonder if the club actively discourages their use? Could it be an image consciousness thing?

Of course in the case of Staal it seems to be a family tradition to play without eye protection.

i'm all for making visors maditory to protect the players and all, but the puck bounces all the time that not even a visor could really help, in some situations, especially if the puck happens to take a weird bounce which does happen a lot. it's just part of the sport. i do hope he makes a recovery though

People did say exactly the same things about helmets in the sixties and seventies that they're saying about visors today. If not for some prompting from insurance companies I'm sure we would still be watching players skating around without helmets, just as we saw motorcyclists riding without helmets, people driving without seatbelts.

Pierre McGuire just mentioned an idea that's been kicking around for a while on this issue. What needs to happen is that the insurance companies need to stop underwriting the contracts of players that don't wear visors. Problem solved if that ever happens.

Eric Staal: Marc Staal 'staying positive' after injury

Submitted by chipalexander on 03/06/2013 - 14:32

The Canes' Eric Staal said he has talked with brother Marc Staal today but still is unsure about the severity of Marc's injury.

Staal, a defenseman with the New York Rangers, was hit by the puck near the right eye on a deflected shot Tuesday night.

"I talked to him this morning and he seemed to be feeling a little better and was in a little better spirits," Eric Staal said in an interview Wednesday. "They have to wait for the swelling to go down, so there's not much more we will know about it until then. Maybe later today.

"Hopefully he dodged a bullet. All we can do for now is keep him in our prayers. He's staying positive about it, which is the kind of person he is."

Staal was told about the injury Tuesday night following the Canes' 4-3 victory over the Buffalo Sabres. He later watched a replay -- Philadelphia's Kimmo Timonen took a slap shot from the point that deflected off the stick of the Flyers' Jacob Voracek and into Staal's eye -- said he immediately could tell Marc had been badly hurt.

"Marc said the pain he felt was pretty severe. I know I was sick to my stomach and felt like I would throw up seeing him down and kicking his legs like that," Eric said.

Eric and Jordan Staal of the Canes, like their brother, do not wear helmet visors. But Eric said he may have to reconsider that choice.

"I think about it before every season," he said. "I hear it from my wife and my mom, but I'm so used to not wearing one.

"But when someone close to you, or anyone really, has an injury like this, it does make you think about it."

Read more here:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/eric-staal-marc-staal-staying-positive-after-injury#.UTed4Al-9jk.twitter#storylink=cpy

That looked absolutely horrible! Poor guy. I hope he's going to be ok and not suffer any permanent damage.

I understand the argument against making visors mandatory since guys would have to take their helmets off to fight, possibly leading to more head injuries if their heads hit the ice on the take down. But seeing something like that or what happened to Manny, if you're not a fighter why wouldn't you wear one?

If an NHL player gets hit in the eye with a puck it has absolutely zero effect on your life so why be so adamant about it?

I don't care either way, if they do or don't become mandatory, I would rather they don't but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if they do....

Guest Gumballthechewy

Because it will prevent injuries like these, plain and simple. Sure, you can give me excuses on freak accidents. But freak accidents are not an excuse to not take every precaution you can.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Don't forget about Mathius Ohlund too. Despite his awesomeness at maintaining his high level of play, his eye was never the same.

Archived