Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

United Nations: Colo. & Wash. state legal pot violates international drug treaties

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

UN: Colo., Wash. legal pot violates drug treaties

A United Nations-based drug agency urged the United States government on Tuesday to challenge the legalization of marijuana for recreational use in Colorado and Washington, saying the state laws violate international drug treaties.

A United Nations-based drug agency urged the United States government on Tuesday to challenge the legalization of marijuana for recreational use in Colorado and Washington, saying the state laws violate international drug treaties.

The International Narcotics Control Board made its appeal in an annual drug report. It called on Washington, D.C., to act to "ensure full compliance with the international drug control treaties on its entire territory."

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said last week that he was in the last stages of reviewing the Colorado and Washington state laws. Holder said he was examining policy options and international implications of the issue. Marijuana is illegal under federal law.

The federal government could sue the states over legalization or decide not to mount a court challenge. Washington and Colorado became the first states to pass laws legalizing the recreational use of marijuana in last fall's elections.

"The entire international system is based on countries respecting the rules, and there's a broad fabric of international treaties that are part and parcel to that," said David Johnson, the U.S. delegate to the Vienna-based board.

The control board is the independent monitoring body for the implementation of United Nations drug control conventions. Its head, Raymond Yans, also called on Holder to challenge the laws soon after voters in both states approved them in November.

The director of the Open Society Foundations' Global Drug Policy Program, Kasia Malinowska-Sempruch, blamed repressive drug laws for millions of arrests and called on the United Nations General Assembly to reconsider its approach when it holds a special session on drugs in 2016.

The U.N. report also cited prescription drug abuse as a continuing problem as well as the emergence of so-called designer drugs that are engineered to fall out of the scope of existing drug controls.

http://seattletimes....dwritethru.html

Edited by key2thecup, 05 March 2013 - 11:49 PM.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#2 literaphile

literaphile

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

Oh well. International treaties are basically unenforceable anyway, unless they're actually adopted as local laws.

#3 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,978 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

Well you can frack right off, UN.

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 05 March 2013 - 11:54 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Magikal

Magikal

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

Why should a bunch of representatives from every other corner of the globe have any flipping say in what happens in Colorado and Washington's back yards? Especially when THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE THERE voted in favour of the legalization. Stick your treaties up your arse.
Posted Image
Credit to Lahey.

October1st,2013. #HistoryWillBeMade

#5 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#6 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

This has been discussed at length in the past. And since the US has dual jurisdiction over drug crime unlike Canada which is purely federal - there is state law and federal law and federal law is paramount so there is a binding international treaty obligation obligation upon the federal government to enforce criminal sanctions.

Legalization is contrary to the international agreements to which the USA is signatory (the 1961 Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, the 1971 Convention on Psychotropic Substances, and the 1988 United Nations Convention Against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances) which inter alia prohibits cultivation and trade of naturally-occurring drugs such as cannabis and requires states to criminalize illicit drug possession (including marijuana).

The Convention Against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances requires its Parties to establish criminal penalties for possession of drugs prohibited under the Single Convention for recreational use. If a nation wished to completely legalize marijuana, it would have to withdraw from the treaties. And remember these provisions about marijuana exist because of intense pressure by the US of A to include them in the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs and it has been the US of A which has been providing the most funds and resources to the International Narcotics Control Board for the War on Drugs.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#7 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

Oh well. International treaties are basically unenforceable anyway, unless they're actually adopted as local laws.

As the US federal government has already done and federal law is paramount to state law in this area as decided by SCOTUS in Gonzales v. Raich (previously Ashcroft v. Raich), 545 U.S. 1 (2005).

That was a medical marijuana case but it started with the proposition that Congress had the power to control or ban marijuana for non-medical uses and then held this extended even to state approved medical marijuana legisaltion.

Respondents in this case do not dispute that passage of the CSA, as part of the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act, was well within Congress' commerce power. Nor do they contend that any provision or section of the CSA amounts to an unconstitutional exercise of congressional authority. Rather, respondents' challenge is actually quite limited; they argue that the CSA's categorical prohibition of the manufacture and possession of marijuana as applied to the intrastate manufacture and possession of marijuana for medical purposes pursuant to California law exceeds Congress' authority under the Commerce Clause.

And the Respondents lost even on that very narrow ground and as result the US DEA moved against medical marijuana users, producers and distributors despite the fact what they were doing was legal under state law.

So in the result Congress has the supreme power to legislate in respect of marijuana for all purposes and override state law. And given the international drug treaties and conventions they have a binding obligation to do so.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#8 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,532 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

Why should a bunch of representatives from every other corner of the globe have any flipping say in what happens in Colorado and Washington's back yards? Especially when THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE THERE voted in favour of the legalization. Stick your treaties up your arse.

This x100000000

#9 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:22 AM

The UN has no power over state laws like this.

The US is obviously trying to find some way to reverse legalization before it is proven to be a good thing, and starts spreading to other states.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#10 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,112 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:27 AM

They should take the UN's advice when the UN becomes useful and relevant.

Edited by Aleksandr Pistoletov, 06 March 2013 - 01:28 AM.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#11 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

**** off, United Nations. Just **** right off. *cloud of smoke*...frack your drug treaties...frack your swiss cheese reasoning and frack your shortsightedness. Cannabis would save this planet...hemp would save this planet...marijuana would save this planet...if people would allow it to. All these people who claim to be god-fearing in these governmental and positions like the United Nations...why don't you take a look at Genesis 1:29: "And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat." Ok...see...there's a great little word in that...that reads ALL. Not some...not most...not all but one...ALL. Cannabis is proven to have medicinal properties, hemp seeds have the highest level of protein of any seed known to mankind...and hemp fibers can be used to manufacture clothing, keeping everyone clothed, fed and sicknesses treated. Someone needs to give me one good reason...someone in government...anyone who can see something here that I can't...because there exists not one SINGLE viable argument on why cannabis remains illegal in this country. NONE.
Posted Image

View PostScott Hartnell, on 11 June 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#12 literaphile

literaphile

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

So in the result Congress has the supreme power to legislate in respect of marijuana for all purposes and override state law. And given the international drug treaties and conventions they have a binding obligation to do so.

Well, yeah, the feds have power. But I would argue that their international obligation isn't so binding (which was my point). The international community can do very little when countries don't abide by international agreements. Just look at Kyoto!

#13 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:40 AM

The UN is a useless organization - marginally better than the League of Nations in many aspects.

Too much political pandering that the very members within it reduce its intended effect.

A purpose of The UN was reduce global tensions - but there are more wars under the UN than ever before. The UN serves as a janitorial role but the problems never truly go away. Look at China & Africa. China has veto power. Nothing you do in Africa can be done without China - because of their purchased oil fields.

The War in Iraq was "started" by the US, against the UN's wishes. What was the UN going to do? Nuke the US? North Korea doesn't respect the UN either.

Look at Syria, Egypt - UN just watches helplessly.

Now, it wants to influence laws in another country? I guess that one-state government thing isn't entirely bat crazy after all.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#14 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,975 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

Who cares? Not like the UN actually DOES anything.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#15 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

And 77 years later Refer Madness is still having an effect.

Edited by Jägermeister, 06 March 2013 - 08:42 AM.

Posted Image

#16 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,130 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

**** off, United Nations. Just **** right off. *cloud of smoke*...frack your drug treaties...frack your swiss cheese reasoning and frack your shortsightedness. Cannabis would save this planet...hemp would save this planet...marijuana would save this planet...if people would allow it to. All these people who claim to be god-fearing in these governmental and positions like the United Nations...why don't you take a look at Genesis 1:29: "And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat." Ok...see...there's a great little word in that...that reads ALL. Not some...not most...not all but one...ALL. Cannabis is proven to have medicinal properties, hemp seeds have the highest level of protein of any seed known to mankind...and hemp fibers can be used to manufacture clothing, keeping everyone clothed, fed and sicknesses treated. Someone needs to give me one good reason...someone in government...anyone who can see something here that I can't...because there exists not one SINGLE viable argument on why cannabis remains illegal in this country. NONE.

Hey Scott, stop beating around the bush, man. Tellus what you really think. ;)

Seriously, it looks like the US has a bit of a problem here. From what I can tell, it's either witdraw from the treaty, which would look pretty bad since they're one of the driving forces behind it, or tell the states they're SOL...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#17 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

Ooo, careful, the UN might write you a letter.

#18 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,003 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

Seriously, it looks like the US has a bit of a problem here. From what I can tell, it's either witdraw from the treaty, which would look pretty bad since they're one of the driving forces behind it, or tell the states they're SOL...

Or they can just ignore it. Simply follow the parts of the treaty they want to follow (and insist others do so) and ignore the parts you don't want to follow, even if you are the one's that put it there in the first place.

What's the point of being a superpower if you can't do things like that?

Obviously the states agrees. Seems to be standard operating procedure for them.

If I am Washington and Colorado I would be more concerned about the feds. But only marginally. They don't exactly have any money and if I could think of a budget to cut it would be the people who's job it is to go against the voter reredums in states that legalised marijuana.........

#19 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

The US were also the driving force behind the League of Nations but were never a member! LON failed but was very promising - sort of. Germany wasn't too happy.

Anyhow, history does repeat itself.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#20 Perfect From Now On

Perfect From Now On

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Not much the UN can do, but it will be interesting to see how the US Federal Government handles the situation.

As for the international treaties, as already said by a few they are kind of meaningless since they cannot be enforced. Portugal has signed all three mentioned by Wetcoaster and has broken the agreement on them all by decriminalizing all drugs with no repercussions (though there is mounting data on the benefits of decriminalization, and by extension possibly legalization).

Edited by Perfect From Now On, 06 March 2013 - 04:55 PM.

Posted Image

Paradise with pines and ice.

#21 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

All they have to do is legalize cannabis...and I will guarantee you that the deficit in the United States would be nonexistent after a year, ball park. 102 years of prohibition...enough is ****ing enough...it needs to end..just like the alcohol prohibition ended. The sooner the government realizes the astronomical cost it is dishing out to keep this versatile and miraculous plant illegal...the better...they have failed in this war. It's over. Cut your losses and go home.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 06 March 2013 - 05:07 PM.

Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#22 kyledude

kyledude

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,842 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

Bunch of globalist scum. "But it's international law..." F*** right off!

#23 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,003 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

Not much the UN can do, but it will be interesting to see how the US Federal Government handles the situation.

As for the international treaties, as already said by a few they are kind of meaningless since they cannot be enforced. Portugal has signed all three mentioned by Wetcoaster and has broken the agreement on them all by decriminalizing all drugs with no repercussions (though there is mounting data on the benefits of decriminalization, and by extension possibly legalization).

The US government is having a "going out of business" event right now. Unless it's got a real pressing demand (and even if it does) don't be shocked to see that if it costs the feds money AND upsets voters that it's not going to be a priority to pursue.

#24 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,003 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

All they have to do is legalize cannabis...and I will guarantee you that the deficit in the United States would be nonexistent after a year, ball park. 102 years of prohibition...enough is ****ing enough...it needs to end..just like the alcohol prohibition ended. The sooner the government realizes the astronomical cost it is dishing out to keep this versatile and miraculous plant illegal...the better...they have failed in this war. It's over. Cut your losses and go home.

You underestimate the size of the US deficit.

Removing the enforcement costs and adding tax revenue would be a help but even the massive tax increases and budget cuts that were called the fiscal cliff would have only halved the size of the fiscal imbalance....

#25 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,975 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Removing the enforcement costs and adding tax revenue would be a help but even the massive tax increases and budget cuts that were called the fiscal cliff would have only halved the size of the fiscal imbalance....

On the topic of deficit.

Isn't the US deficit going to be cut in half next year?

Edited by Armada, 06 March 2013 - 08:43 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#26 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,003 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

On the topic of deficit.

It's impossible to predict what the wizards of washington will come up with next.

But to put it in perspective the fiscal cliff would have only cut the defecit in half. So for something to be of the same magnitude, a grand comprimise, would require tought choices from both sides of the aisle.

In other words slim to nothing until people stop lending the US money or having faith in it's value despite the rampant printing of said dollars.

#27 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

And you underestimate the impact that cannabis legalization would have, not only on revenue...but on the state of the economy as well. Legalizing would unlock the glorious properties of hemp. There are over 25,000 known uses for hemp.

The heating and compressing of hemp fibers can create building materials superior to wood in strength, quality and cost.
Hemp is heat, mildew, pest, light, and rot resistant.
Hemp fabric is softer, warmer, more water resistant and more durable than cotton. Hemp fabric also uses less chemicals to produce.
Industrial uses of hemp in China date as far back as 10,000 years

Hemp is cold hardy, able to withstand even bitter New Hampshire winters.
Hemp is pest resistant ( except from the 2-legged kind)
Hemp is drought resistant
It is estimated that if 6% of the continental U.S. planted with hemp would provide for all national energy needs.
Hemp has a production rate of up to 10 tons per acre, every 4 months.
1 acre of usable hemp fiber is equal to the usable fiber of 4 acres of trees or 2 acres of cotton.
Trees mature in 50-100 years; hemp matures in as little as 100 days.
The University of Missouri estimates that an average-size metropolitan area production of 100 million gallons of biodiesel fuel could generate $8.34million in personal income and 6000 temporary and permanent jobs. (Ref: National Biodiesel Board)
In 1776 a hemp shirt cost .50 cents to $1.00; a cotton shirt cost $100-$200
Biodiesel fuels emit 80% less carbon dioxide & nearly 100% less sulfur dioxide.
Hemp paper can be recycled up to seven times; wood pulp paper can be recycled four times.
Hemp fuels do not destroy the ozone layer or contribute to global warming.
Hemp fuels burn clean; they do not cause acid rain.
Hemp fuel is 10 times less toxic than salt, and as biodegradable as sugar.

Hemp oil is the highest source of essential omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which, among other things, help control cholesterol, arterial blockage and the immune system.
Commonly-known medicinal uses of hemp include: nausea & vomiting; multiple sclerosis/muscle spasm disorders; spinal cord injuries; Crohn’s disease; Alzheimer’s disease; Tourette’s syndrome; digestive disorders; glaucoma; asthma; neurodegenerative disorders;
At one time American companies Eli Lily, Squibb and Park Davis produced cannabis extract medicines.

I've done years of research on the benefits of this wonderful plant...and still remain dumbfounded as to why it is illegal. Anyone with a brain KNOWS why it's illegal...because William Randolph Hearst in the 30's ran smear campaigns against it..."yellow journalism"...because he was scared to death that hemp rope would bankrupt his recent investment in cotton. Cannabis is unjustly prohibited..and that's about all there is to it. As long as Big Pharma has their grubby paws down Washington's pants...the Sacred Smoke will always be vilified. So tired and weary of all these environmentalists talking about alternative sources of energy when there's a savior plant staring them right in the face but the majority of the US is too stuck up their own ass to realize its benefits. It makes me sick.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 07 March 2013 - 07:05 AM.

Posted Image

#28 Goal:thecup

Goal:thecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

Here is the link to the website for BC's Dana Larsen's Sensible Policing Initiative:

http://SensibleBC.ca

Larsen may be onto a "work-around" of the marijuana prohibition system here in BC.

The initiative has gained support from many political figures and a majority of British Columbians.

#29 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,704 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

Scott Hartnell's Mane likes weed.

#30 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,112 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

On the topic of deficit.

ROFL

The US is going ape over this self-imposed "sequester" of $85 billion in cuts and trying to find ways to overcome that (since making cuts and living within your means are a bad thing in US politics), in relation to their annual deficit they now rack up of $1 - $1.5 trillion, which is clearly a drop in the deficit ocean when you consider both their annual deficit mentioned and that they are over $16 trillion in total now.

If making cuts that small is such a big deal, there's no way in hell they can manage to chop half of their (annual) deficit. They are simply addicted to, and far too hopelessly reliant upon borrowing money until they have so much interest expenses they can no longer sustain it and right now all signs lead to insolvency/default either way. So enjoy the ride until the train goes off the rails, Americans.

Edited by Aleksandr Pistoletov, 07 March 2013 - 08:29 AM.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.