Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

So is Raymond effective at center?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#31 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

Hansen and Higgins have definatly developed some chemistry, but i will argue Raymond isnt exactly an effective team mate, I notice them doing all the work and possession and raymond shoots or back to the point.

Im glad his shot is working for him this year but he is just not a play maker.

What are you talking about? His pass to Hansen on his goal was perfect. He creates tons of space for his linemates with his speed, and Raymond is actually an under rated passer. Much of Hansens recent success is due to being on a line with Raymond. If Raymond was better at faceoffs I would leave him at the position

#32 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

I actually liked all the lines I saw the last couple games. Raymond is filling in decently, better than Burrows did.... which totally surprises me. I was certain it would be a disaster.

AV is managing the bench really well and getting them out on shift changes while play is still going on so that Raymond didn't have to take near as many face offs. Higgins and Hansen have just been monster on the puck the last two games.

This is also the first time except for about 10 games last year that I have seen any use in Booth at all. He is benefiting from the fact that Kassian is a great passer (did anyone see Kassian becoming that playmaker we needed for the 2nd line? I would be very interested to see if those two guys with Kesler could create something. Three big strong guys who can skate pretty well.

Schroeder needs to go back to the AHL. He had a good little run the first few games when he was in shape from having played, but the rest of the league were rusty from the lockout. As soon as they got their legs he has been what would be expected. We need to get a centre from somewhere, preferably one that could fill in for Kesler temporarily so Lapierre can go back to the 4th line.

Schroeder needs to the playing 3rd line C between Booth and Kass. Grit, speed, skill, vision. Its much of what makes the the line of Higgins, Raymond and Hansen effective. It has a bit of everything. Lapierre looked lost with those two.

#33 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

Raymond needs to improve on faceoffs but that is something that can be taught (maybe Manny can give him a few pointers).
I think he makes a better centre than a winger and isn't falling down as much plus he is taking higher percentage shots. He works well with Higgins and Hansen and all of them seem to have picked up their game while being on a line together.

#34 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

Higgins-Raymond-Hansen is also less of a size concern as apposed to when they were with Schroeder. Not that it was really worrying then.

#35 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

I usually side with Av but this move had me puzzled as well.

I think it had to do with an equipment issue so they had to shuffle for the one shift which led to a chain reaction. It only happened for the one moment in time. It wasn't a coaching decision.

#36 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

I like Raymond on center actually. He definitely needs to work on his face-offs. (Coach Manny?) But, what he lacks in grit he makes up for in sheer determination and hard work. That line is awesome!
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#37 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

Yes, he'd have to work on face-offs. Manny could help show him a thing or two in a practice before he's gone.

But...I think Center is a much better fit for Raymond. Mainly because - insert falling down joke here - he's terrible along the boards. He is a literal "pushover". Higgins and Hansen on the other hand are bulldozers.

When you give Raymond some room, he's much better. He does have to work on going hard to the net though.

#38 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

I think it had to do with an equipment issue so they had to shuffle for the one shift which led to a chain reaction. It only happened for the one moment in time. It wasn't a coaching decision.

Thanks. I don't mind AV juggling lines when he thinks someone is going well and he wants to elevate their ice time. Just thought moving Hansen off a line where everyone was going was a bad choice.
258bdr6.jpg

#39 Hunter.S-Kerouac

Hunter.S-Kerouac

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

I wouldn't quite say effective but far from defective!

#40 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

he is actually quite good there.

covers defensive end, brings puck up the ice....

he is almost more of a natural center than winger? Maybe if he sticks there he will improve, especially at face-offs...

#41 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,152 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

Personally, I'd put Schroeder with Booth and Higgins and Raymond centering Kassian and Hansen.

you'd have a pair of left wings on one line and a pair of right wings on the other...

#42 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 19,152 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

The line of Higgins, Raymond, Hansen is such a good two way line, with speed and hockey intelligence to burn - that they more than make up for the fact that Raymond is inexperienced in the face off circle - they are winning the possession game everywhere else on the ice - and look exceptionally difficult to play against.

#43 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Yes.

If he learned to become a 55% face-off guy, he'd be one of the best 3rd liners in the NHL.

Posted Image

#44 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

Yes.

If he learned to become a 55% face-off guy, he'd be one of the best 3rd liners in the NHL.

Posted Image

#45 EddieVedder

EddieVedder

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

Even with our recent struggles.. If you think about it... our offense in a way does look like its starting to take shape with the Raymond and Hansen working so well together, and Booth and Kassian both clearly showing some good chemistry. This SHOULD in theory make it easy for Kesler to slot in in the second line between Kassian and Booth. Having said that, Kesler NEEDS to learn to use Kassian better.

When healthy, we COULD possibly have 3 solid scoring lines.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Raymond-Hansen
Pinnizotto-Lappierre-Weise

#46 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,884 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

Not really. Too many lost draws equate to too many lost opportunities.

comeundone.gif

#47 Watermelon

Watermelon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

perfect line, puts up points, 2-way, and is only costing like 5m

That's basically Kesler, get 5 mill, is 2-way, puts up points and frees up two rosters spots.

Ok that was a joke, if you believed it your stupid.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.