Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 7 votes

Has Edler Given Up?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Poll: Has Edler Given Up? (163 member(s) have cast votes)

Has Edler given up?

1. Yes (27 votes [16.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.56%

2. Voted No (93 votes [57.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.06%

3. This is all he can bring to the team (43 votes [26.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bagofcats

Bagofcats

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

POPULAR

Alexander Edler used to be a great defencemen with a lot of upside a few seasons ago but somewhere between then and now he has stopped improving. He's a below average skater, struggles with inconsistency and has poor coverage in the defensive zone. This much is not my opinion. This is obvious if you watch him throughout the game.

As parts of his offensive game improved over the last few years, those did not. How can such glaring weaknesses be ignored by him and the coaching staff? For a 1-2 defencemen on an elite team to have such problems is confusing and frustrating. He seems like he lacks focus and determination, sometimes even to the point of looking lost out there. I expect more from the soon to be highest paid defencemen on the team. If Edler is going to get 5 mill doesn't that mean Hamhuis deserves at least 6 since he is better at the position in almost every way?

Why haven't these parts of Edler's game improved? Does he not care that he is so easily exploited by other teams' forwards? A +/- of 0 when you lead the defence in points is concerning. I sure hope he turns it around. It's getting really hard to wear his jersey in public when there are fewer and fewer positives to say about him.

#2 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:14 AM

POPULAR

It's because the organization still ignores the fact that the team needs a puck mover(Ehrhoff) and wants Edler to put up points and play like a power play quarterback. He's got above average speed for his size, but he isn't a smooth nor fast enough skater to be a effective puck mover.

Don't look too far ahead. Looks like Hamhuis is following in Edler's footsteps. Since when did you ever see Hamhuis this offensive in his career? Tanev isn't too far behind, he's starting to jump into plays too. Next thing you know, Garrison is going get a crack at being a puck mover.

Edited by Rey, 06 March 2013 - 12:23 AM.

#3 VCanucks69

VCanucks69

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

No,

For all we know he is nursing an injury or something, but saying something like he has given up..

Is just wrong.

Edited by VCanucks69, 06 March 2013 - 12:17 AM.

#4 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

POPULAR

Watching Edler skate and move the puck is like watching a slow motion replay.

If Ballard had commited that 1st period penalty, his ass would be stapled to the bench the rest of the game.

#5 Thirteen

Thirteen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:23 AM

NO!

This guy needs to wake up and play the way we know he can. I like him paired with a reliable right hand defender like Tanev. He needs better timing and to be more physical. The offense will come but I want to see him play the puck well in his own zone first and play his man. Defense first.

Posted ImageWooooooooooooooooooooooo!Posted Image

Posted Image
Favorites: Sir. KesLord , Kaner, Stammer, Toes & Pavelski

#6 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:25 AM

Pro athletes don't just suddenly 'give up'.... there's usually an explanation. Players play through injuries, go through slumps, have bad bounces go against them. The whole team's in a funk right now though... apart from Tanev, pretty much the entire defence core has been inconsistent the whole season. So I wouldn't pin it on just Edler - he's just become the new whipping boy, I guess. A couple of seasons ago it was Bieksa, then Ballard, then Garrison, and now its Edler. He'll improve, skills don't just vanish.

abl8vt.jpg

#7 AppleJack

AppleJack

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:26 AM

I don't know what's going on with Edler but whatever it is he needs to fix it and fast. Its so disappointing to see him this season compared to how he has been in previous years.

m8itzp.jpg
Do Not Trade Tanevbjhfh0.jpg

Thanks TS <3

formely known as Gillyfluffball

#8 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

Pro athletes don't just suddenly 'give up'.... there's usually an explanation. Players play through injuries, go through slumps, have bad bounces go against them. The whole team's in a funk right now though... apart from Tanev, pretty much the entire defence core has been inconsistent the whole season. So I wouldn't pin it on just Edler - he's just become the new whipping boy, I guess. A couple of seasons ago it was Bieksa, then Ballard, then Garrison, and now its Edler. He'll improve, skills don't just vanish.

The whipping boy aka the guy that makes the most doh.

#9 Bagofcats

Bagofcats

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:30 AM

+1 to this. Being the current whipping must actually be a good thing. Bieksa, Ballard and Garrison have all improved after getting whipped for their poor play, even Alberts! As somebody stated earlier, he might still be nursing an injury and perhaps would be playing less minutes if it wasn't for the fact that we don't have anybody to step up currently. I'm sure Hamhuis and Tanev are already getting up there.

#10 tmak01

tmak01

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

I blame it on av

#11 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

Don't forget Tanev plays a safe type of hockey. He's not a high risk and high reward type player. He's not built like that, he barely even hits if he does i dont notice it. Ballard on the other hand is misused as he should be a more high risk high reward type defense man with his skating. At least that's what I thought we were getting when we trade two first rounders for him. The other d are not stay at home defense they are bound to make mistakes. However, i definitely think Edler needs improved on mistakes he makes in the defensive zone. But most of the d do too.

I think all eyes will be on Edler now as he's the top paid d if I'm correct.

Edited by Gonz, 06 March 2013 - 12:34 AM.

#12 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:34 AM

No. Patience is a virtue.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#13 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

No. His just struggling and finding his confidence back

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#14 KristoffWixenschon

KristoffWixenschon

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:39 AM

Boobs.

Distraction topic!

#15 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:48 AM

Can't believe he got a crack at the shootout. Are we rewarding crappy play now?

#16 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

Alexander Edler used to be a great defencemen with a lot of upside a few seasons ago but somewhere between then and now he has stopped improving. He's a below average skater, struggles with inconsistency and has poor coverage in the defensive zone. This much is not my opinion. This is obvious if you watch him throughout the game.

As parts of his offensive game improved over the last few years, those did not. How can such glaring weaknesses be ignored by him and the coaching staff? For a 1-2 defencemen on an elite team to have such problems is confusing and frustrating. He seems like he lacks focus and determination, sometimes even to the point of looking lost out there. I expect more from the soon to be highest paid defencemen on the team. If Edler is going to get 5 mill doesn't that mean Hamhuis deserves at least 6 since he is better at the position in almost every way?

Why haven't these parts of Edler's game improved? Does he not care that he is so easily exploited by other teams' forwards? A +/- of 0 when you lead the defence in points is concerning. I sure hope he turns it around. It's getting really hard to wear his jersey in public when there are fewer and fewer positives to say about him.

All Canucks are too comfortable and feel entitled, maybe except the Sedins, Kassian, Schroeder, Raymond, Sestito, Ballard and Barker.

A trade or coaching change to wake them up is the only solution.

Ruff and Crawford are available. With Luongo in net, a strong kid in Kassian and the Sedins fully developped, I would love to see what Ruff or Crawford could do. I can bet Burrows would not be on the top line and Kesler would calm the F down. That would be a good start.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 06 March 2013 - 12:52 AM.

#17 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:53 AM

Boobs.

Distraction topic!

I like the way you think, boy.

FWYIerW.png

#18 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

POPULAR

Edler has worked his A off to get to this level. A man like that doesn't just give up.
He deserves and has earned some patience from the coaching staff.
He sacrificed his back for god sake.
That could still be an issue, who knows.
You are all the same people that bashed Raymond too I bet.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#19 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,687 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:08 AM

Maybe he just looked good playing next to Salo all these years :/

#20 CanucksLegacy

CanucksLegacy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

There is a difference between feeling 100 per cent and playing 100 per cent. Alex Edler can live with discomfort – and probably will have to – as long as he can play at full throttle in the National Hockey League.

During the lockout, he has pains but no games. But Edler is well enough to be declared fit by the Vancouver Canucks after the defenceman spent three months re-rehabilitating a back injury caused by a bulging disc.

For now, this means two things: Edler no longer gets paid during the owners’ lockout, and he can show solidarity with his union brothers by wearing a NHL Players’ Association practice jersey instead of a Canuck sweater during ice sessions.

“You know what?” Edler said Monday when asked about coming off the dole. “I would much, much rather be healthy and not getting paid. That’s the most important. It’s absolutely terrible to not be able to be out there with the guys because I’m hurt. I would give back all my paycheques if I could have been 100 per cent healthy.”

Edler required back surgery two years ago and missed the final 2 ½ months of the regular season. His back problems resurfaced at the end of this summer when Edler ramped up the intensity of his training.

Still, before the Collective Bargaining Agreement’s expiration on Sept. 15 triggered the start of the lockout, the Canucks made a long-term contract offer that would have boosted Edler’s average salary to the level of the team’s highest-paid defencemen. Garrison and Canuck Kevin Bieksa have cap hits of $4.6-million.

Edler and Point Roberts-based agent Mark Stowe took a mighty risk turning it down, since the next CBA will likely contain contract restrictions that did not previously exist, as well as a significantly lower salary cap.

Edler admitted Monday that he may never feel “100 per cent,” that his back may always be sore.

“Any injury you have that’s coming back, you get a little extra cautious,” Edler said. “But we’ve got great doctors here and we’ve been talking a lot. Obviously, it’s been very frustrating. But you’ve got to trust the doctors that it’s going to heal, probably not to 100 per cent. But I wasn’t 100 per cent last year, either, and I played all 82 games.”

Canuck assistant general manager Laurence Gilman said there is always some concern with back injuries, but isn’t worried about Edler’s assertion that he may never feel 100 per cent healthy.

“I think that’s accepting the fact that there may always be a level of discomfort,” Gilman said. “That’s no different than a lot of players. Hockey is a physical game every game. At some point, we’re going to play again and we’ll see how Alex performs. We would not clear him (medically) if we didn’t strongly believe he’s ready to play.”

Some quotes from this article (Dec. 17th 2012, although dated i thought it could be a cause):
http://www.vancouver...html?id=7711940

The article basically discusses Edler's back problems and how he could never feel 100%.

It could be possible that his back could be causing discomfort and a reason for hesitance when playing the body. The back can affect numerous things, one main thing is mobility. Edler has been caught flat-footed at times this season and when you get caught flat-footed, you tend to be in bad position defensively.

To add to that, he hasn't been playing the body as much. In the Phoenix game, he could've played the body instead of letting the guy blow past him which led to a scoring chance and eventually a goal. Again a mobility issue. It states in the article as his training ramped up, his back problem resurfaced. We're 20+ games in; games are more intense than training.

Maybe he feels hesitant playing the body because it might worsen his back? Maybe it's his back making him less mobile, causing him to make more mistakes?

Edler took a pay cut to stay here in Vancouver. Detroit didn't land Suter and will most likely have paid $$$ if Edler was to hit UFA. He chose to stay here with our team to try and win it all with us. So no, I don't think he's given up. Edler wants to be successful, he wants to help our team. He wants to be a part of the solution, he doesn't want to be a problem.

Maybe it's a funk, maybe it's his back, who knows? He just doesn't seem like (in my opinion) a player who'd quit after years of proving himself to management, the team and the fans.
/rant

Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:16 AM

Edler has peaked. Time to trade him before the NTC kicks in and then we can't. His zenith has passed.

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 06 March 2013 - 01:18 AM.

Posted Image

#22 Bagofcats

Bagofcats

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:25 AM

Edler has worked his A off to get to this level. A man like that doesn't just give up.
He deserves and has earned some patience from the coaching staff.
He sacrificed his back for god sake.
That could still be an issue, who knows.
You are all the same people that bashed Raymond too I bet.

Yeah. Raymond was terrible for a year and half. He Got bashed, demoted, scratched but then he improved all while over coming an injury. At no point did it seem like he wasn't trying. He was just bad and everyone was frustrated. Edler should be treated just as harsh if not more so. It's one thing to play poorly but work hard, but to play poorly and not look like you're trying is embarrassing if you take into account Edler's salary.

#23 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:25 AM

Why the frack can't he keep the puck in on the offensive blue line? These guys work on their hand eye cordination every day. If the puck us not on the ice, you can bet it bounces over his stick. What the hell is wrong with him?
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5584]

#24 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:29 AM

Bring back Ohlund and/or Salo.

#25 Alexandre

Alexandre

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:35 AM

No Edler has not given up. Like some people have mentioned, he doesn't look 100%.

#26 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:47 AM

Put him on the third pairing, limit his minutes, but keep him on the PP. He's playing too much I think. And for godsakes, get whatever he's smoking into the Team Store.

ps thanks for digging up that article CanucksLegacy, good relevant info.

#27 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:54 AM

Hes having a bad season, maybe his back isnt the same as it used to be...he did have surgery on it recently...the only people who really know whats going on is him and the team...we shan't speculate.
Life is short, LIVE IT

#28 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:08 AM

Edler for Weber lol, MG get it done!

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#29 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:13 AM

Edler has never been a reliable go-to guy. He's always needed the support of teammates to elevate his game. He needs that puck mover (Ehrhoff) or that veteran guy (Ohlund/Salo) to fall back on. When the weight falls on him, he can't handle it. He's good as #4 defenseman, but falls apart when given too much responsibility.
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#30 LegionOfDoom

LegionOfDoom

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:51 AM

Rough patch, he seems to elevate his game in the playoffs. It's a messed up season and may be giving him problems if he stays healthy I'm happy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.