Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 7 votes

Has Edler Given Up?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Poll: Has Edler Given Up? (163 member(s) have cast votes)

Has Edler given up?

1. Yes (27 votes [16.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.56%

2. Voted No (93 votes [57.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.06%

3. This is all he can bring to the team (43 votes [26.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

He probably does still have some pain. It'll take him time to get used to that, and work around it. Back injuries are nothing to laugh about. He'll find his stride again.

Zf3XIDB.png

Sig by: Samuel Påhlsson

#62 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

Turnovers, bad passes (that often put the recipient at risk of getting pasted), bobbling the puck at the blue line, wild shots and terrible all round hockey sense. I'm sure there must be something else going on.

I agree. It's between the ears.

HpkJUPw.jpg

Credit to KingAlex for the sig. R.I.P.

#63 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,303 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

I don't know what's going on with Edler but whatever it is he needs to fix it and fast. Its so disappointing to see him this season compared to how he has been in previous years.

I think fans may have unreasonable expectations for Edler because of his new contract and NTC. He is still putting up points this year but has been less than stellar in his own zone.

Last year Edler had 49 points but his +/- was 0.
Bieksa had 44 points + 14.
Hamhuis had 37 points + 27

A guy putting up 49 points should not be 0 +/-. Even Alberts was +4.

Other examples
Seabrooke 34 points + 21
Duncan Keith 40 points +15

All the D men mentioned face top competition and are expected to contribute on offence. Edler's numbers seem to show, he was signed to the big contract for his point production and that his defensive failings were either overlooked, acceptable or expected/hoped ot improve. His defensive game is definitely lacking compared to other D at his pay grade.

Unless he improves, I fear what we see is what we have with Edler. MG may be expecting (and have paid for) more than he can deliver on the defensive side of the equation.

#64 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,303 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

Edler is not playing that bad. He and Tanev look promising as a pair and will continue to gel. People around here are so knee-jerk.

Everyone looks good with Tanev.

#65 Mrock-763

Mrock-763

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:11 AM

If the Sens fall out of the playoff picture, we should try and acquire Sergei Gonchar

Bieksa Hamhuis
Edler Garrison
Gonchar Tanev

Barker Vandermeer

PP
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Edler Gonchar

Posted Image
Props to Olias for providing me with this sick sig!

#66 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

What blows my mind is that people seem to think this is some new scary turn in his play. Edler has always played this way. Always. From his first year to now, he has been shaky with the puck in his own end and is inconsistent handling speedy players and tends to back into his own goalie (where he then assumes the position on some occasions). How is it that some of you did not see this earlier in his career but see it this year? I need a coffee.
Posted Image

#67 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

after last years playoffs when he was quite possibly the worst performer in the league we rewarded with a 6yr 30 million deal.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#68 LegionOfDoom

LegionOfDoom

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

especially last year against the kings.......

He was injured last year.....
Maybe a coaching change is needed to light a fire under his butt though

#69 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,578 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

Ummm Edler has been playing some amazing hockey of late. He's making the Canucks look better than they are. And is a big reason why they have so many points right now.

I love Eddy, but c'mon, he is not playing well by any standard, never mind a d-man considered by the organization and much of the league as an "elite" dman.

#70 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,303 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

Edler/Booth//Connauton for Perry

Would ya do it?

#71 CrazyAL

CrazyAL

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

I'll get flamed for saying this but I think they should of traded him, I feel his trade value out weighs his is value to the team. Can he play like a #1? yep but how often do we see this? maybe 10-15% of the time. People seem to be so caught up in his skill set, his size, they let so much of his defensive issues slide, game in, game out he continues to chew up the minutes with no consequences it's wierd, they even stick him on shootouts!

That amazing 10-15% will show up soon though and everyone including myself will probably forget about the bad.

#72 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,303 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

I'll get flamed for saying this but I think they should of traded him, I feel his trade value out weighs his is value to the team. Can he play like a #1? yep but how often do we see this? maybe 10-15% of the time. People seem to be so caught up in his skill set, his size, they let so much of his defensive issues slide, game in, game out he continues to chew up the minutes with no consequences it's wierd, they even stick him on shootouts!

That amazing 10-15% will show up soon though and everyone including myself will probably forget about the bad.

Having to risk putting Alberts out there for a physical presence shouldn't be necessary with a guy of Edler's physical stature and contract. Also shouldn't have to play hime with Tanev to cover up hsi D zone weakness.

MG should move him before his NTC kicks in. It would shake up the rest of the "Cruisers" if a player of his "potential" was sent packing.

I'd give him up in a second if it could lead to acquiring Cory Perry ow some other proven top 6 scorer. Well worth moving the asset.

#73 CrazyAL

CrazyAL

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

Having to risk putting Alberts out there for a physical presence shouldn't be necessary with a guy of Edler's physical stature and contract. Also shouldn't have to play hime with Tanev to cover up hsi D zone weakness.

MG should move him before his NTC kicks in. It would shake up the rest of the "Cruisers" if a player of his "potential" was sent packing.

I'd give him up in a second if it could lead to acquiring Cory Perry ow some other proven top 6 scorer. Well worth moving the asset.

Yeah that is another thing he hits like a train but how often does he do this? arrr so frustrating.

Would be interesting to know what teams would give up for him.

#74 DisplacedBCfan

DisplacedBCfan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

Boobs.

Distraction topic!

What is the topic again?

#75 DisplacedBCfan

DisplacedBCfan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

Edler/Booth//Connauton for Perry

Would ya do it?

Yes, Anaheim would not. Rendering the thought moot

#76 Bagofcats

Bagofcats

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

At this point it's like trading a $5 mill Gragnani for a Perry.

#77 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

Yes, Anaheim would not. Rendering the thought moot

They might. Perry is a UFA at year's end.
258bdr6.jpg

#78 Guest_Pinchin_*

Guest_Pinchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

If Edler would just be more physical it would solve a big part of his issues. He's morphing into an offensive d-man and losing that defensive grit he needs to be a bonafide stud. I think he is just being tentative with his play, not given up, no way. I'd love to see him play more like Nik Kronwall.

#79 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

No,

For all we know he is nursing an injury or something, but saying something like he has given up..

Is just wrong.

To your first option: I don't think he's nursing an injury, that would be plain stupid on everyone's part. Would buy this idea if he were some kind of Weber and if we were in a desperate situation (none hold true).

Second option: I think this time you got it right, he's most likely "nursing something". Personally, I think he's nursing a lack of hockey sense, for which, unfortunately, there is no cure.

#80 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,560 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

So we changed from a goalie graveyard to a defenseman graveyard

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#81 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

So we changed from a goalie graveyard to a defenseman graveyard

No, not really. Perhaps you think we should become a "healthy debate" graveyard instead.

In my books, as long as we want the same thing (Lord Stanley), we should be able to debate pros and cons.

For the record, I love Tanev, was pleasantly surprised with Ballard's game this year, like Bieksa and Hamhuis quite a bit in spite of their mistakes at times, think Garrison is coming along quite nicely (love that shot from the blue line), and even believe that Alberts has played OK. No opinion on Barker just yet. So hardly a graveyard, don't you think?

Edited by Socrates, 08 March 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#82 Bagofcats

Bagofcats

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

Rough patch, he seems to elevate his game in the playoffs. It's a messed up season and may be giving him problems if he stays healthy I'm happy

He isn't elevating his game at all. He has the occasional decent shift but more than half of his TOI has led to us losing games.

#83 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

edler has been brutal all season... the only injury he could still be nursing would be a brain injury.

every single time i see him skate behind the net and stop on the powerplay i die a little bit inside... the fact that he follows up wasting 20 seconds of a powerplay with that STUPID drop pass that EVERY team knows about really made me give up on edler this year. a bad season is a bad season, 2 bad seasons and a couple TERRIBLE playoff showings is the player we have now. he's not going to get get any better folks, time to face facts - edler was playing above his abillity, and what you see is what you get, a #4-5 defenceman making #1-2 money.
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#84 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

Well, the good news is that Edler isn't likely to every play that badly again. Seriously, what was going on inside his head with that last play? It's like he pinched and floated the puck toward the middle at the same time.

#85 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

It's because the organization still ignores the fact that the team needs a puck mover(Ehrhoff) and wants Edler to put up points and play like a power play quarterback. He's got above average speed for his size, but he isn't a smooth nor fast enough skater to be a effective puck mover.

Don't look too far ahead. Looks like Hamhuis is following in Edler's footsteps. Since when did you ever see Hamhuis this offensive in his career? Tanev isn't too far behind, he's starting to jump into plays too. Next thing you know, Garrison is going get a crack at being a puck mover.

I thought Ballard was a decent puck-moving defenceman who isn't soft.

#86 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,668 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

I sure hope not!

307mg00.jpg

#87 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

Could be his chronic back problems still bugging him

#88 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

Corrado needs to give him a lesson on getting shots through. If he doesn't try and shoot that puck through someone the kings don't go down the ice to score the winning goal last night. Bieksa as well.

Sig too big. -SN

#89 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

I don't think he can be physical anymore with his back problems.

Which confuses me as to why Gillis would sign a defensman to that kind of a contract who's only good at putting up points....

I think I'm starting to dislike Gillis more then AV....

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#90 Mr X

Mr X

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

Edler is broken. Whether physically or mentally, he's the biggest liability the Canucks have. It's sad. He projected to be a superstar dman. It never happened, and I don't think it ever will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.