Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

If the team continues to lose...

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Vigneault be fired if the team continues to lose? (80 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think that Vigneault should be fired if the team continues to lose games

1. Yes (22 votes [28.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.95%

2. No (25 votes [32.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.89%

3. Vigneault should be fired regardless (29 votes [38.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Alexander 7he Great

Alexander 7he Great

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:58 AM

Before you read, I'm not making this post because the team lost, it needs to be said win or lose.

Do you think Alain Vigneault will be fired?

If the team keeps losing, there's only one person to blame, the coach. Vigneault's job might be in jeopardy if the Canucks keep losing.

He's been making some really poor choices lately.

Noticeably,

Comments from people on the Facebook page of the Canucks

Edler, Burrows on Shootout? Vigneault has no clue. Fire him and hire Lindy Ruff before it's too late. This team could win the cup THIS YEAR with a real coach like Lindy - 11 likes

Same core players, same coach, = same Results for last 6 years, president trophy means nothing, Sharks won President trophy twice didn't mean anything in playoffs
It's plain as day these players are not playing with any confidence - 8 likes

How do you fire a coach that has his team leading their division ? The glass is half full here folks murky but half full - 5 likes

Stop putting Edler in shoot outs AV!!! - 12 likes

BAD coaching. BENCH EDLER and DON'T PICK HIM TO SHOOT IN THE SHOOTOUT WTF AV! Put Garrison with the Sedins on the PP. - 7 likes

Am I the only one wondering why AV put Alex Edler in shoot-out? Shoulda put MAY RAY! - 7 likes

I am beginning to think that AV is one of the biggest problems. WTF was that? Wrong shooters - 7 likes

AV is the worst coach in the NHL! Why does this team suck so bad at S.O. - 7 likes

AV's gotta go or I'm done!!!- 7 likes

Just some observations from the top comments^^ AV has made some very poor choices and it's not like he's learning from these choices, he keeps making the same mistakes over and over. This team needs a shakeup, if AV doesn't go, atleast make a trade happen. I personally don't see the team getting past the first round with the way they're playing.

I appreciate everyones input! Let's hope the Canucks can get back on track, this team is in need of a shakeup, will be interesting to see what type of shakeup that will be... GO CANUCKS!

Edited by Alexander 7he Great, 06 March 2013 - 02:17 AM.

#2 VCanucks69

VCanucks69

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:01 AM

I think its hard to FULLY blame AV with this lineup he has been given.

But Im sick of watching the florida panthers retirement club

#3 kassians_fist

kassians_fist

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:29 AM

No, AV took us to the cup finals. I think things are just screwy because of the lockout and like the players, he needs to find a groove and be consistent.

kassiansig2_zps8c73ed3c.jpg

#4 Alexander 7he Great

Alexander 7he Great

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:43 AM

I think its hard to FULLY blame AV with this lineup he has been given.

But Im sick of watching the florida panthers retirement club

Agreed

#5 Alexander 7he Great

Alexander 7he Great

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:44 AM

No, AV took us to the cup finals. I think things are just screwy because of the lockout and like the players, he needs to find a groove and be consistent.

True, he did take us to the cup finals, but was it really "him" that took us there or the "team" playing on the ice for him that took us to the finals? He might not be able to find a groove if the team keeps losing games.

#6 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:45 AM

Question is very non specific...how many games, and for how long?

#7 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:50 AM

Question is very non specific...how many games, and for how long?

Well...they've lost 4 of their last 5 games. They're basically a .500 hockey club half way through the season.

How close to the playoffs do you allow the team to get before you make a coaching change?

Personally, I think it would have to happen within the next 5 games for it to have any chance of salvaging htis season. Beyond that, you hang on and pray for a miracle.

#8 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:57 AM

I think it may be time to go pretty soon. not because of the shootout choices, but just because it seems like the team is losing steam. maybe it's time for some new blood. i don't think he's a bad coach, but i do think that the past few years, the team was so good that the system didn't really matter. and then in the cases where the players really did need a system adjustment, nothing happened, and AV got out coached badly. the Blackhawks, kings, and bruins series were like running in to a brick wall over and over again.

if nothing changes, what's to lead us, and more importantly the players, to believe that it'll work out 4 series in a row this time? at times it feels like all the canucks have is skill, a colossal amount of skill, but the coaching and grit is missing.
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#9 BlurTriX

BlurTriX

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:04 AM

Everybody knows our style of play now, time to change it.

Untitled.png

#10 High Violet

High Violet

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:08 AM

Our record is 0-1-1 in the last two games! That's 100% loss. We need to fire AV, stat!

:bigblush:

Edited by High Violet, 06 March 2013 - 02:09 AM.

#11 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,659 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:09 AM

I voted yes, but I'd like to state that I don't think he should be fired if we lose like the next two. I think he should be fired if we're almost missing the playoffs.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#12 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,659 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:10 AM

Everybody knows our style of play now, time to change it.

Everyone also knew Detroit's style of play for 10 years.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#13 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:10 AM

I would hate to see AV go, but his constant lineup changes baffle me. Except for Sedin-Sedin-Burrows, I couldn't even guess what the next three lines look like each night. Where is the chemistry expected to come from?

#14 EagleShield

EagleShield

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:26 AM

3+ wins in the next 5 or he's done.

#15 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:56 AM

AV needs to go.
Posted Image

#16 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:36 AM

AVs philosophy of protecting a slim lead for most of the game has been driving me insane for some time now.

Its gotten to the point where Id almost rather have the team trailing, rather then leading, by a goal or two in the earlier stages of the game. Its the only way the team seems to focus.

#17 Salmon Arm Canuck

Salmon Arm Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:04 AM

AV won't be traded until he loses the core members of the locker room. That hasn't happened and probably won't for a while.

#18 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:18 AM

AV won't be traded until he loses the core members of the locker room. That hasn't happened and probably won't for a while.

If AV hasn't lost the locker room already then how do you explain the team's lackadaisical play which dates back to over a year ago?

#19 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,582 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:37 AM

AV isn't the problem - his assistant coaches are.

Bowness is in charge of defensive pairings, ice time and managing their system. He had the best top-6 on paper coming into this season without a doubt, with 2 #1 pairings and Ballard-Tanev as the best 3rd pairing in the NHL. What has he done? Turned Edler into a turnover machine, COMPLETELY nullified Garrison's shot and offence by playing him more defensively and split up our pairings completely, turning Hamhuis into a pretty brutal minus player for a while now.

Meanwhile, Brown has done the single worst job a coach could do in this league. He has turned what was the deadliest powerplay in the league into our biggest enemy. No goals in our last 15 opportunities, including some key chances to win games, and we've struggled all season long on the penalty kill. This #1 powerplay is probably the best 5-man-unit in the NHL with all the right weapons - 2 best passers in the league, some great net presences with Burrows, Hansen and Kassian and of course, a great passer on the point in Edler as well as one of the best shots in the game in Garrison. Instead he has Schroeder on a point missing shots and our powerplay trying to set up a cross-slot pass for a one timer. Personel is not the issue - it's our plan, and it's getting really obvious.

Brown and Bowness have to go. I know they have a close connection with AV, but AV is essentially a top-10 if not top-5 coach in the league believe it or not, and a real star coach at that. He knows how to get the best out of his players. The problem is even their best is no good when they're getting played in poor special teams and defensive systems.
Posted Image

#20 rkyway

rkyway

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

Coaches who have been around this long (i.e. on the same team) without winning a cup rarely ever do. A coach will usually win in his first couple of years with a team or not at all. AV has been here too long.

#21 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

We haven't even been playing that bad lately, we have dominated large parts of these loses. I would be worried if we got badly outplayed like say the Oilers right now.

We have had some Questionable calls and unfortunate bounces come our way.

Slumps come and go for any team,
it's just our first real slump in 3 seasons.

We will get over it and so will all of you.

Edited by Noheart, 06 March 2013 - 08:27 AM.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#22 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

It was inevitable. AV, while an excellent coach, has reached his end with this team. He shouldn't be alone in dismissal either, Bowness should go with him. This team needs someone to get them all playing motivated hockey, Hansen and Higgins can only do so much.
Posted Image

#23 Echophox

Echophox

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

I feel like this kind of post creeps up at the start of every Canucks season. This is essentially November for us. It's about now that the Canucks turn it up a notch. Problem being, the short season, of course. I still wanna give AV some time, but something's gotta start clicking for us to stay cup contenders. I fear that we are only in our current playoff division because we are in quite possibly the worst division in the NHL. Look at our competition, Minni, Calgary, Edmonton, and Colorado. None are currently in playoff standings. We may make the playoffs simply because of our division. But we'll go no where unless we actually EARN a playoff spot.

I'd give AV another month. But a Wins-Loss ratio wouldn't be my determining factor. We've won games while playing poorly.

1) I wanna see better Defensive End play. We can only blame the goalies so much for giving up 3 goals. I want consistent 2 goals against MAX.
2) I want to see performance from our Powerplay. We need defenceman playing the point. Get Garrison out there to work on his shot. Maybe Tanev and Garrison combo??
3) And I wanna see some confidence being built up in our Goaltending, stop flip flopping them for crying out loud. That destroys confidence (and confidence is the 1 thing you SHOULD NEVER take away from your goalies).

Edited by Echophox, 06 March 2013 - 09:41 AM.

You see me drivin' round town for the team I love and I'm like CANUCKS RULE! Roo-ooo-ool!Posted Image

#24 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,217 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

We're 1-1-1 in March with 13 games left this month.

We're still leading our division.

I could care less about the President's trophy.

LA proved last year that all you have to do is make it and be hot going in.

Let us see where we are at the end of this month.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#25 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,217 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

As far as Edler in shootouts - he was our second best shooter in shootouts last year - that's why he has been in this year.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#26 lolwut?

lolwut?

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

Our record is 0-1-1 in the last two games! That's 100% loss. We need to fire AV, stat!

:bigblush:

You can say this in as many threads as you like, it is still not clever or cute.
I think the general consensus of the moment re: AV is absolutely justified.. no need at all for your childish replies.

#27 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

Oh, good lord. We're using Facebook comments by unknown people without regard to their qualifications or actual hockey knowledge as proof the team needs to take certain actions now?

Call me a cheerleader (it won't be the first, or last, time...) but I'm far more willing to put my faith in the professionals who have done so well for our team in the past than I am in people with nothing better to do than write snarky messages on Facebook.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#28 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

We haven't even been playing that bad lately, we have dominated large parts of these loses. I would be worried if we got badly outplayed like say the Oilers right now.

We have had some Questionable calls and unfortunate bounces come our way.

Slumps come and go for any team,
it's just our first real slump in 3 seasons.

We will get over it and so will all of you.

Love your attitude lately noheart and I feel the same way... I really don't understand the panic button people keep pressing. Maybe it's because I'm from the north and not the fast hustle of the lower mainland.. but still, hasn't this team show you guys they come out of these slumps and completely dominate the entire league?

I think despite the loss that was the best game we played all year. The sharks could not contain us last night, niemi just stood on his head. Absolutely hands down the most exciting, heart driven hockey I've seen all year.

Detroit slumps all the time too but they don't go making knee jerk moves to a team that's been killing it for years over it.

#29 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

Quite honestly that is a hard question. I voted NO purely because I have worried for a while now that MG is not giving this team decent upgrades. We have stood still (maybe even regressed) since the Boston series.
Kevin.jpg

#30 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

Before you read, I'm not making this post because the team lost, it needs to be said win or lose.

Do you think Alain Vigneault will be fired?

If the team keeps losing, there's only one person to blame, the coach. Vigneault's job might be in jeopardy if the Canucks keep losing.

He's been making some really poor choices lately.

Noticeably,

Comments from people on the Facebook page of the Canucks

Edler, Burrows on Shootout? Vigneault has no clue. Fire him and hire Lindy Ruff before it's too late. This team could win the cup THIS YEAR with a real coach like Lindy - 11 likes

Same core players, same coach, = same Results for last 6 years, president trophy means nothing, Sharks won President trophy twice didn't mean anything in playoffs
It's plain as day these players are not playing with any confidence - 8 likes

How do you fire a coach that has his team leading their division ? The glass is half full here folks murky but half full - 5 likes

Stop putting Edler in shoot outs AV!!! - 12 likes

BAD coaching. BENCH EDLER and DON'T PICK HIM TO SHOOT IN THE SHOOTOUT WTF AV! Put Garrison with the Sedins on the PP. - 7 likes

Am I the only one wondering why AV put Alex Edler in shoot-out? Shoulda put MAY RAY! - 7 likes

I am beginning to think that AV is one of the biggest problems. WTF was that? Wrong shooters - 7 likes

AV is the worst coach in the NHL! Why does this team suck so bad at S.O. - 7 likes

AV's gotta go or I'm done!!!- 7 likes

Just some observations from the top comments^^ AV has made some very poor choices and it's not like he's learning from these choices, he keeps making the same mistakes over and over. This team needs a shakeup, if AV doesn't go, atleast make a trade happen. I personally don't see the team getting past the first round with the way they're playing.

I appreciate everyones input! Let's hope the Canucks can get back on track, this team is in need of a shakeup, will be interesting to see what type of shakeup that will be... GO CANUCKS!

Fortunately we aren't managing our team based on Facebook "likes". The losses are piling up but I still think this team can find another gear.

Despite being an AV supporter (although frustrated at times by his decisions) I think they will be let go if we miss the playoffs or take a real early exit.

Edited by TheCammer, 06 March 2013 - 11:08 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.