Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Jordan Shroeder Has Been Given Enough Time To Showcase His Talents!

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#31 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

Is it time to pull the plug so to speak on Jordan? He looks so tiny on the ice. In puck battles he loses the puck so easily. He's not exactly lighting it up for a prospect with scoring potential. He's speedy and improving defensively. I'm afraid to say I don't think Mr. Shroeder is going to turn into Nazem Kadri. I don't see the point of putting Jordan on the 4th line either.

I wouldn't be opposed to Shroeder being dangled as trade bait at the deadline. I really think he will struggle in the playoffs because of his size. I just wished Shroeder turned out to be a Paul Kariya type.

I want to see what Steve Pinozzato can do. I hope Canucks send Jordan down and bring Steve up soon.

AV is that you? I thought the Canucks had a rule that players and coaches couldn't go on CDC?

#32 RBCanucks

RBCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

In my mind Schroeder has no future with this team due largely to his lack of size. The kid has played well at times but he isn't an NHL quality forward at least within our system.

#33 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

Yep, the kid's played 19 NHL games and still isn't playing like a first line C. He should be sent down to the Wolves forever!

Some Canucks fans just don't have a clue about developing young hockey players. The kid has played well enough to stick with the club. His defensive game is good, as is his passing and skating. Right now, he is playing on the 4th line, so it is pretty hard to 'fly like an eagle, when you're surrounded with turkeys.'

Still, I would like to see the 'Nucks start to (gradually) switch him over to the wing. Due to his size, I think he would do better there.

#34 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,158 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

Majority of the time he has been playing on the 3rd/4th line where he has to play in a different role. AV should put him on 2nd line if we want secondary on a line with Raymond and Hansen.

307mg00.jpg

#35 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

Is Jason Arnott still available?
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5584]

#36 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

Sometimes I wonder if people who post on here do so knowing how stupid their comments are just to annoy. Not troll's but that annoying kid in the playground who just says stupid crap knowing its stupid to get a reaction. I put the OP's comments in that category.

We're already lacking depth at center, have no young centers who are close to ready with skill in our system and we trade the only one we have? LOL

Why? Because AV is trying to ensure he learns the defensive game first in the NHL since he knows he has offensive talent? And given he's small, what's going to keep him in the NHL is his ability to not give up too much defensively?

Does anyone ever think that AV KNOWS what he's doing? People say he didn't develop players...What about these guys who were young under him?

Henrik - started as a third liner = Art Ross and Richard trophy
Daniel - started as a third liner = Art Ross
Burrows - started as a third liner ECHL'er now an unsung hero
Kesler - started as a third liner - Selke Winner
Schnieder - well be a vezina winner, considered one of the best young goalies in the league, back up for 3 years
Edler - started on the bottom pair, now an all star - ok tough year this year but he'll be fine
Tanev

See one common thread guys? Its called PATIENCE, development.

Yes Cody is scoring and so would Schroeds if he had zero defensive responsibility and played with one of the top scorers in the NHL.

But instead AV is thinking, what does this team need in 4 years, not today, 4 years, because today this kid isn't taking ice from any of the above, let alone a new 3rd line that looks amazing.

So AV says, well I will need a solid 2 way center who can score, because Sedins will be aging/gone. And with Kes always hurt who knows.

So hmm..who do I have?

Oh, I have Schroeder. He's quick, great hands, see's the ice well, good defensively, just small but he's also a fire hydrant and tough on his skates.

Ok what do I need to do to get him to that point?

1. Let him learn his defensive positioning, and how to compete, win battles in the NHL with HIS SIZE as its different even from the AHL

2. How? well I could put him on the top two lines but they're set and really its not going to develop him into what we need, we don't want one dimensional players in Van. Remember we have a DETROIT system where even the stars play two ways.

3. Ok so I'll put him on the third, ya but Mayray/Higgy/Hansen are just on fire, we need that chemistry. Second? Hmm ok but when Kesler is back where?

4. Not first, so damn, not much room but ok I'll put him on the 4th. He'll play with Weisse (he's smart defensively) and he'll start focusing on his defensive game, have to BATTLE EVERY SINGLE GAME, because that's what that line is out there for, to tire defenses, and be a thorn. I'll give him PP time to keep his offensive skills sharp and the occasional sub shift on the 3rd.

5. Next year, I'll put him on the third and allow him to start slowly letting his offense back in.

6. Year after, still the third but he'll get a bit more share of ice

7. Year after he should be ready for second line duty but I'll make him want it just a bit more

8 Next year he's ready, Sedins are aging/gone, Kesler may be gone or moved to number 1.

Regardless thats how it works guys. And guess what, he'll be 27/28 and in his prime and ready to play another 6 /7 years at a high level.

#37 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

Yep, the kid's played 19 NHL games and still isn't playing like a first line C. He should be sent down to the Wolves forever!

Some Canucks fans just don't have a clue about developing young hockey players. The kid has played well enough to stick with the club. His defensive game is good, as is his passing and skating. Right now, he is playing on the 4th line, so it is pretty hard to 'fly like an eagle, when you're surrounded with turkeys.'

Still, I would like to see the 'Nucks start to (gradually) switch him over to the wing. Due to his size, I think he would do better there.

JS's biggest challenge will be adjusting to the NHL physical game. Spending time on the 4th line will help his adjustment. I remember Guy Lafluer spending almost 3 seasons on the Habs 4th line. JS has a real opportunity to stick in the NHL. My negative comment would be why AV had Edler in the shootout rather than JS.

#38 kingfreako

kingfreako

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

I don't understand what you're complaining about OP.
He's playing on the 4th line, where he doesn't exactly have the opportunity to "showcase" his talents. However, he's looked decent on the 4th line - he's always forechecking, hustling, and pressuring the opposition in their own zone. He moves really well without the puck. Reminds me of Hansen in that way. I would much rather see him getting limited minutes on the 4th line and gaining NHL experience than getting no minutes playing for our AHL team. He's not going to be in the top 6 this season.
Posted Image

#39 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

He's never going to light it up playing with Sestito, Weise. He didn't even get a real shot at real top 6 minutes (16+min). He should have had a shot with Burrows and Raymond or Booth on the 2nd line, with real offensive player.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth/Raymond-Schroeder-Burrows
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

I dont get the raymond and burrows experiment on center when you have a real offensive center in Schroeder. It's too obvious, yet AV seems to want to complicate things

AV is trying to give all of the lines some stability. JS is a pretty damn good 2 way player. Fast, tenacious, good forechecker, excellent handles. He kept that 4th line from imploding on itself last night.

But I think he would be a great fit between Boot and Kass (whom I really like together). Its a combination that makes the 2nd line so good. Speed, grit, skill, playmaker, size....essentially a bit of everything.

Sedin Sedin Burr
Higgins MayRay Hansen
Booth Shredder Kass
Sesito Lappy Weise

#40 brob89

brob89

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

I'm sorry, did you see him push Douglas Murray off of the puck last night in the offensive zone? Duggles is 6'3", 240lbs...

I lol-ed (past tense of lol). That is funny.
As for Schroeder, his play is in no way deficient on
the fourth line. If your argument is that his skillset is
being wasted playing in between Wiese and the brute,
that may be the case.
But if you're suggesting that he's underperforming,
you be straight up trippin'.
Hockey players have roles, some which come naturally, and
some that they work themselves into, and others that they're
asked to do. Schroeder's role at the moment is being performed
up to an acceptable level.
If you're suggesting that he is not performing up to
a second line/offensive-minded standard. You are correct.
But your proposition is irrelevant. That is not his present role.
So, back off, Jack.

#41 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

I lol-ed (past tense of lol). That is funny.
As for Schroeder, his play is in no way deficient on
the fourth line. If your argument is that his skillset is
being wasted playing in between Wiese and the brute,
that may be the case.
But if you're suggesting that he's underperforming,
you be straight up trippin'.
Hockey players have roles, some which come naturally, and
some that they work themselves into, and others that they're
asked to do. Schroeder's role at the moment is being performed
up to an acceptable level.
If you're suggesting that he is not performing up to
a second line/offensive-minded standard. You are correct.
But your proposition is irrelevant. That is not his present role.
So, back off, Jack.

Failed Haiku?

#42 GarthButcher5

GarthButcher5

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

I think that Schroeder is actually playing pretty good. The little things he is doing right such as using his speed to pressure defensemen in the offensive zone and excellent backchecking are often overlooked because he is not getting points.

Getting points would be a bonus but that is not the ultimate role of a fourth line centre. I remember Joe Thornton's rookie year in Boston, he never got off the fourth line on a bad team but at least he was getting playing time time was learning the NHL game.

#43 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

Could you please just go sit in the corner?

C'mon, I asked politely :(

Edited by Jordan Eberle, 06 March 2013 - 10:54 AM.

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#44 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

another predictable thread brought to you by p.c.
Posted Image

#45 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

He hasn't been playing with the right players.

I think AV should switch him with Lappiere.

Booth - Schroeder - Kassian
Sestito - Lappiere - Wiese

#46 cocanuck

cocanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

wow! cant believe the threads on this forum any more. Guess it doesn't surprise me. Jordan will be a very nice player in time, and the production will continue to get better. Burrows had 9 points his first full year with the Nucks,,, guess we should have gotten rid of him as well! People neede to realize that AV will not place rookie players in top 6 roles very often. It falls in line with the plan to develop players over time and not pay them too much too early. If Kassian stays with the top line for the whole year, what will his numbers look like and what will that cost the Canucks when his contract is up in a year to two? Money as well as talent plays a part in all of this as well people. JS is a nice prospect who has very good hands and sees the ice extremely well

#47 brob89

brob89

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

Failed Haiku?

If that was my aim,
that is an extreme failure.
This took time to do.

Better?

#48 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

If our GMs had listened this type of Canuck fan who wants every rookie traded because they were not putting up a ton of points in their first year we would not have the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler...

And then after they are traded and do well, the same people complain that the GM is an idiot for trading them.

Edited by DooBie604, 06 March 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#49 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,524 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

I don't know why he's playing with two plugs on the fourth line in Tom Sestito and Dale Weise. I don't know why Maxim Lapierre's playing with David Booth and Zack Kassian.

Booth needs a player that can dish him the puck mid-stride busting down the wing. Lapierre's can't distribute the puck. Schroeder can.

Schroeder needs a player that can win the puck battles for him down low. Kassian can do that and move to the front of the net.

See they all compliment each other.

Posted Image

#50 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,177 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

Under AV, prospects never shine.

I don't know which is worse, this erronneous statement, or the fact that two other posters gave you a plus for it.

That Tanev guy hasn't shone at all....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#51 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,177 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

AV is that you?  I thought the Canucks had a rule that players and coaches couldn't go on CDC?

Makes zero sense. Was there a point you were trying to make here?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#52 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

the only reason schroeder was put on the 4th line is because he did not do anything on the third. People criticized lapierre for not doing much on the fourth but now i think people are starting to realize how hard it is to produce on the fourth line with 2 wingers who dont know how to shoot.

#53 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

I also think that AV is trying to give Lapierre some more ice time now that Kesler is out, because Schroeder might be playing 4th line but he is also playing 1st powerplay. Schroeder played 15 minutes last night

#54 Sanj

Sanj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

Swapping Lappy with Schroeder makes the most sense to me. Lappy just doesnt fit with Booth and Kassian.

#55 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,177 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

People need to understand that Lapierre is by far the Canucks' best faceoff man at the present.

He's not going back to the 4th line until Kesler gets back at least...

#56 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

I like Schoeder, why would we trade him?? It always takes smaller players longer to adjust. St.Louis and Parise took a while to adjust they werent super starts early in their careers. Give him a few years...
Life is short, LIVE IT

#57 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

This year is where he gets into the lineup and doesn't make mistakes that get him banished to the AHL.

Next year is where is shows what he can do.

If you think it is really different than that, you know nothing about jack.

#58 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,955 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

Is it time to pull the plug so to speak on Jordan? He looks so tiny on the ice. In puck battles he loses the puck so easily. He's not exactly lighting it up for a prospect with scoring potential. He's speedy and improving defensively. I'm afraid to say I don't think Mr. Shroeder is going to turn into Nazem Kadri. I don't see the point of putting Jordan on the 4th line either.

I wouldn't be opposed to Shroeder being dangled as trade bait at the deadline. I really think he will struggle in the playoffs because of his size. I just wished Shroeder turned out to be a Paul Kariya type.

I want to see what Steve Pinozzato can do. I hope Canucks send Jordan down and bring Steve up soon.

Ah the fans here. Always begging for a prospect in the line-up and then quick to write them off.

Just what kind of return do you get for "trade bait" that isn't doing anything and is too small to cut it in the NHL? Well, if GM's have the same opinion as you - nothing.
Posted Image

#59 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

i thought he looked fine last night, sestito blew coverage on the 1st goal. on the PP once they moved him to the left point he was very good (that is where he played for the wolves on the PP at times). He also used to run the wolves PP from the top of the left circle.

If they keep giving him good PP minutes and slowly work him into that booth/kass line he will be an adequate replacement until kes gets back.

#60 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

prospect pool is empty already, lets empty it some more.

Seriously, let's look at the Red Wings and see what they do with their prospects. They after all have been on of the most consistent teams in the NHL.
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.