The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Short-Term Edler Plan + GMMG Analysis

Ryan Murray

Okay, if AV had the guts to do this, here would be my plan.

1. Sit Edler for two games

2. Bring Edler back for four games

3. Sit Edler again for one game (regardless of performance, unless he has a point per game average)

I think AV needs to repeat this process over and over, because for the future, it will establish the tone of what it takes to play in Vancouver, which should be: "Regardless of contract size or clauses, you will play when you're performing your best, and will sit until you have found that performance."

Also, I am tired of GMMG sitting back. Here are the qualities of a GM we need.

1. Diplomatic and reasonable

2. Moves with urgency and boldness

3. Have a touch of impatience

4. Has the heart and drive of Don Cherry (NO I am not saying the new GM should be Don, just saying a quality he must have is a trait Don has)

If GMMG doesn't seriously realize that something is wrong with the team, then he obviously doesn't know anything about hockey. His trades and moves don't have to be blockbusters necessarily, but they have to be smart, and actually contribute to the team.

Example

Is it time to pull the plug so to speak on Jordan? He looks so tiny on the ice. In puck battles he loses the puck so easily. He's not exactly lighting it up for a prospect with scoring potential. He's speedy and improving defensively. I'm afraid to say I don't think Mr. Shroeder is going to turn into Nazem Kadri. I don't see the point of putting Jordan on the 4th line either.

I wouldn't be opposed to Shroeder being dangled as trade bait at the deadline. I really think he will struggle in the playoffs because of his size. I just wished Shroeder turned out to be a Paul Kariya type.

I want to see what Steve Pinozzato can do. I hope Canucks send Jordan down and bring Steve up soon.

Also, I am tired of GMMG sitting back. Here are the qualities of a GM we need.

1. Diplomatic and reasonable

2. Moves with urgency and boldness

3. Have a touch of impatience

4. Has the heart and drive of Don Cherry (NO I am not saying the new GM should be Don, just saying a quality he must have is a trait Don has)

If GMMG doesn't seriously realize that something is wrong with the team, then he obviously doesn't know anything about hockey. His trades and moves don't have to be blockbusters necessarily, but they have to be smart, and actually contribute to the team.

Example

Tanev looked good with edler. edler will always rush the puck and take chances, its the style of game he plays that allow him to both be great and get himself into trouble

He needs a stay at home d partner which could very well be Tanev

Hamhuis Bieksa(when healthy)

Edler tanev

Garrison Ballard/Barker/Alberts

Edler seems to be buckling somewhat under the pressure of more expectations. I'd like to see him get back to the more basic style of defence that made him successful. He needs to buy new skates, ones that don't roll over all the time and he needs more of a stay-at-home style. He has talent, he's just trying to do it all and is failing badly. He'll come around. Someone needs to tell him he is not a Bieksa.

This hate for Edler is over board. People need to be positive, everyone knows he is making mistakes and I'm sure he knows it. Rick Bowness likes him bc he's very coachable. I assume that means he listens and learns as much as possible and is easy to deal with. Him being in the lineup will help win games more than Alberts or Barker or Ballard or Vandemeer. Av would be a dumb coach to scratch him, Bieska, or Hamuis. Stop making these hate Edler threads. He's a good guy too; you guys are too negative and need some positivity in your life maybe.

in a short season, time is one thing we do not have. But having said that, I still like our overall roster. I don't think we should blow up our roster just yet.

Sitting Elder may give him a chance to rest and clear his head; get back to the basics. There is no denying he has played subpar defensively all season.

As for the GM, people keep saying MG needs to do more as if they stalk him. Let me ask you this: which team did MG call last and what did they talk about? We don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

Archived