Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Your PP fix

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
111 replies to this topic

#1 Melons

Melons

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

Once the bread and butter of this team, our powerplay has been woefully inadequate this season. 0 for 5 last night, no goals in the last 15.

Time to vent Canucks fans. What would be your solution to getting our PP back on track and punishing our opponents once again?

I'll start.

1. The experiment with 4 forwards has gone on long enough. Time to put the D with the booming shoots back up top where they belong. As Gary Valk suggested last night, PKers have an easy job when they know that Schroeder and Hank aren't going to shoot so they cover Edler (chances are his stick will shatter on the high and wide shot anyway <_< ).

2. Time to plant a big body in front of the net and keep him there. We've had a lot of goals coming off the screen this year. Burr has had success, Higgins last night. Why not get Kass on the ice and in front of the netminder. This was once a mainstay of all powerplays, seems to have fallen out of vogue (with our team anyway).

3. Entering the zone. It seems that we've been taking way to long getting into our opponents zone. Wasting half a minute behind our net, 4 players static at the blue line waiting for the puck to be carried/shot in. Thankfully the ineffective drop passes seem to be minimal as of late.

What's your fix?

#2 wendythirteenthrashers

wendythirteenthrashers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

KASS in front screening....garrison with a booming shot...Tanev for defensive safety....sedins

HIGGY Raymond hansen.... Barker seems to find seams and get shots through.... Edler I guess ...at least Raymond can cover defensively with his speed ....

I think the reason the game lines are always screwed with is because av always has to have defensively responsible peeps on each line.... ie...sedins/ burr
That's why KASS isn't with them....

#3 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,863 posts

Simple. Put Garrison on the point. I agree with what Valk said last night, there are few guys in the league that people are afraid to block their shots, Salo is one of them, we've got to make JG one of them. He's got an incredible shot, let him use it AV.

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#4 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,603 posts

Garisson on point, Kassian in front of the net. Time to give these guys a chance to learn and do what we picked them up for.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#5 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

Use garrison as he was used in Florida.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#6 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

As other say, get rid of the four forward system and install a big point shot (someone who can actually hit the freaking net!).

#7 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,054 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Schroeder - Garrison

Booth - Raymond - Hansen
Tanev - Edler

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#8 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,914 posts

I personally would try (for the first unit anyways)

Sedin - Kassian (net presence not taking faceoffs) - Sedin
Ballard - Garrison

2nd:

Higgins - Hansen - Burrows
Hamhuis - Edler

Edited by Aladeen, 06 March 2013 - 10:59 AM.

Posted Image

#9 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

I agree with having another shot threat at the blue line. You can tell they want to get Edler the shot but the opposing team knows this and usually charges at him and he winds up shooting wide to avoid the player. Put Garrison back on the top PP unit please. At least then we have two shots that the PK will be scared of opening up the down low play as well.

I don't think Kass has enough experience to screen the goalie. He is a big body but he doesn't position himself as well as Burrows or Higgins. If we want to get him some experience then I would put him there but I think it will be more detrimental to the power play. He is still learning body position and where to go for the rebounds. If you watch him in front of the net he usually loses where the goalie's position is and is often not in the right position for rebounds. With more experience I'm sure he will get better at this.

#10 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

It's so sad knowing a couple years ago we were so dominant....

I would try

Sedins - Kass
Schroeder - Garrison

I like the right hand shot on the left point with Kassian causing havoc in front... Or load up Garrison! Obviously let the Sedins do what they do best, puck control.

Edited by Kass9, 06 March 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#11 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

Get new coaches who can completely change things up in the ways you suggest rather than just timy tweaks that make no difference. We don't have another 60 games to get the PP rolling.

Also, lose the favoritism and the excuse that nothing will work on our D unless it comes from a right handed shooter......just an excuse to play favorites if you ask me.

I agree with you and would add this:

Get Garrison on the PP and give him a guy on the other side who can QUICKLY AND ACCURATELY set him up for one timers - like he had with Campbell in Florida......Edler's lack of ability or desire to one time pucks is a huge issue. But Garrison needs a true setup guy. Try Ballard there FFS....at least he can pass well.

Hamhuis and Schroeder off the point, Ballard and Garrison on the point. Kassian or Burrows in front of the net......and LOW ACCURATE Shots that actually hit the net.

And one really big key is DON'T WASTE HALF THE ???? PP SITTING BEHIND OUR NET WAITING FOR THE PERFECT STORM BEFORE YOU BREAKOUT.

Like the entire game of the Cnaucks they need to adopt the philosophy that doing it good right now is better than waiting to do it perfectly later. URGENCY.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 06 March 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#12 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

Took until the last power play for them to figure out that maybe it would be a good idea for Jordan Schroeder and Alex Edler to invert sides. Then look at the chances they generated.

Posted Image

#13 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

Ballard - Garrison

2nd:

Hamhuis - Edler

This may be the first time I have ever agreed with you on anything but this is spot on what they should do.......

Burrows with the Sedins is not bad as he does go to the net pretty effectively....but they tend to fall into the 5 on 5 cycle game on the PP with Burrows there and gobble up important seconds.

That second unit needs to just outwork the PK like they outwork guys 5 on 5.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 06 March 2013 - 11:03 AM.

#14 Salmon Arm Canuck

Salmon Arm Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

Many good points so far---there is no doubt that Garrison needs to get on the 1st unit and keep Elder off at this point until he finds his mojo again...which he will.

#15 apollo

apollo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

I thought the PP was pretty dominant last night ans had good presence ... just failed to bury the Puck.
2cz94w5.jpg<
The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books.
THE CANUCKS ARE THE SINGLE, GREATEST SPORTS FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME. GO CANUCKS GO

#16 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

This may be the first time I have ever agreed with you on anything but this is spot on what they should do.......

Burrows with the Sedins is not bad as he does go to the net pretty effectively....but they tend to fall into the 5 on 5 cycle game on the PP with Burrows there and gobble up important seconds.

That second unit needs to just outwork the PK like they outwork guys 5 on 5.

The PP needs to play to the strengths of what we have in personel -
Sedins - obvious,

Kassian - Big body net presence - basically needs to stand there and retrive pucks from behind the net when required (can always rotate other forwards here like Hansen, Burr, Higgins, Kes obviously if a fresh look is needed),

Ballard and Garrison made their names on the PP - Ballard is a slick skater that can be great QBing that PP (unfortunately Edler takes up time and seems to have about zero urgency on the PP), and Garrison has that booming shot that will make defenders hesitate (at least) to block the shot - hey if he doesn't score taking out a player's ankle may be just as effective :bigblush:
Posted Image

#17 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

I think our PP (and our whole game actually) would be much more unpredictable if Henrik would learn to shoot the puck a lot more than he does. He has a great shot when he uses it but you can see that teams know he will not shoot, so they cover the point guys like Edler much closer for the shot. Henrik still makes them look foolish with his sick passing of course but add in the unpredictability of a possible shot and it makes Henrik the focus leaving the points more open to shoot the puck.

#18 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

The PP needs to play to the strengths of what we have in personel -
Sedins - obvious,

Kassian - Big body net presence - basically needs to stand there and retrive pucks from behind the net when required (can always rotate other forwards here like Hansen, Burr, Higgins, Kes obviously if a fresh look is needed),

Ballard and Garrison made their names on the PP - Ballard is a slick skater that can be great QBing that PP (unfortunately Edler takes up time and seems to have about zero urgency on the PP), and Garrison has that booming shot that will make defenders hesitate (at least) to block the shot - hey if he doesn't score taking out a player's ankle may be just as effective :bigblush:

You and I agreeing two times? In one topic?.......is the sky falling? haha

#19 37yrsncounting

37yrsncounting

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

Once the bread and butter of this team, our powerplay has been woefully inadequate this season. 0 for 5 last night, no goals in the last 15.

Time to vent Canucks fans. What would be your solution to getting our PP back on track and punishing our opponents once again?

I'll start.

1. The experiment with 4 forwards has gone on long enough. Time to put the D with the booming shoots back up top where they belong. As Gary Valk suggested last night, PKers have an easy job when they know that Schroeder and Hank aren't going to shoot so they cover Edler (chances are his stick will shatter on the high and wide shot anyway <_< ).

2. Time to plant a big body in front of the net and keep him there. We've had a lot of goals coming off the screen this year. Burr has had success, Higgins last night. Why not get Kass on the ice and in front of the netminder. This was once a mainstay of all powerplays, seems to have fallen out of vogue (with our team anyway).

3. Entering the zone. It seems that we've been taking way to long getting into our opponents zone. Wasting half a minute behind our net, 4 players static at the blue line waiting for the puck to be carried/shot in. Thankfully the ineffective drop passes seem to be minimal as of late.

What's your fix?

With Garrison, Im sure thats what they signed him up for. However, at the moment, when you see him at the point, he can't handle the pass, he doesn't stick handle or have the passing ability of an erhoff or salo. Garrison does have a booming shot but thats only when someone else sets it up for him. What the nucks need is a quarterback at the point, I guess the nucks thought Edler was the guy but he too is having problems controlling the puck for some reason.

With that said, on the pp I would like the twins and Kassian as the big body since they have worked together before. With Schroeder manning the point and setting up Garrison. Against San Jose, Shroeder was pretty effective on one of the power plays when they had a chance to set up. 2nd unit would consist of Higgins, Booth, Raymond, Hansen, and Bieksa/Tanev. I think Tanev can eventually play QB at the point but he can't play 30 minutes a game yet and he needs to work on his shot.

Edited by 36yrsncounting, 06 March 2013 - 11:21 AM.

#20 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

Sestito parked in front of the net like an unmovable tank
mix in two Sedins
top it off with Edler and Garrison booming shots from the points.

#21 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

You and I agreeing two times? In one topic?.......is the sky falling? haha

I bet the only real differences we have is on the topic of AV... I still think he's the best option for us to win this season... if he fails to get us close or win the Cup, I personally would be willing to see him go. My arguments have always been that the way this team was built (from the net out), AVs style really suits this team, if AV were to be let go we would need to make some major moves imo.

Let's say AV was fired tomorrow (I know you're loving that), and Ruff was hired, I really feel that we would need to trade for a flashy winger to complement the second line (ideally someone like Gaborik) - this would take a lot of picks/prospects to make happen and then our ability to compete in the future would diminish. The main problem with this scenario is that it goes against everything Gillis has ever said (Detroit model, not sacrificing the future blah blah) - Probably a better chance to win the cup this year - but in 2 - 5 years the Canucks would have to go into a full rebuild mode (how long can these last? ask Edmonton, Calgary (has CBJ ever stopped?) - If that scenario guarantees a cup then sign me up - but if it doesn't I would rather the Canucks compete year after year (make the playoffs)
Posted Image

#22 Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

Elder needs to shoot, not just make two fakes and a pass to the halfboards. I went hoarse screaming at the TV last night for him to let it rip from the point...
Posted Image
[Why 2.0? Because after 9 years, I lost my password and email... huzzah]

#23 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,701 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Simple. Put Garrison on the point. I agree with what Valk said last night, there are few guys in the league that people are afraid to block their shots, Salo is one of them, we've got to make JG one of them. He's got an incredible shot, let him use it AV.

I agree. (with you and GV) I understand that Brown is reluctant to put two lefties out at the same time, but I think you go with the bomb from the point and just live with whatever negatives result because of one of the guys being on his off-side.

It's not like what we have now is working...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#24 SILLY GOOSE

SILLY GOOSE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

Although people have been razzing him for his somewhat lackluster play, I really respect Edler. With that said, the PP does need to try something new and I think replacing Edler with Garrison is worth trying. Keep Schroeder on the point as well because he is a great set up guy and maybe he can mimic what Cambell did in FL. With the Sedins moving the puck around and Schroeder to dish it to Garrison for one-timers, might be the simplicity the Canucks need right now.

Edited by SILLY GOOSE, 06 March 2013 - 11:33 AM.

neo-answers-a-banana-phone-in-the-matrix

#25 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,701 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

I think our PP (and our whole game actually) would be much more unpredictable if Henrik would learn to shoot the puck a lot more than he does. He has a great shot when he uses it but you can see that teams know he will not shoot, so they cover the point guys like Edler much closer for the shot. Henrik still makes them look foolish with his sick passing of course but add in the unpredictability of a possible shot and it makes Henrik the focus leaving the points more open to shoot the puck.

I'm going to buck the trend and agree with you also, Wallstreet. Hank needs to pull the trigger a bit more often. Not only that, but it seems like Burrows is picking up the same habit. That pss that he tried to thread through to Hammer last night is case in point.

Another guy who passes up the shot way too often is Tanev. The OT winner against the Oil proves that he has the shot, he just needs to use it a lot more...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#26 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

Ballard - Garrison

2nd:

Hamhuis - Edler

This is what I want right here, and have been whining for most of the year .. Kass screening and causing access problems for the D-men trying to shift sides .. Hank and Dank on the sideboards and moving, Ballard feeding Garrison's one timer .. the fact that Newell the Tewell has not tried something similar to this is a sure sign of complacency and/or incompetence ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#27 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

I thought the PP was pretty dominant last night ans had good presence ... just failed to bury the Puck.

They had no shots on the first 2 PPs and they let in a short handed goal...

anyway I would do

Sedins-Burr
Edler-Garrison

Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian
Ballard-Tanev/Bieksa

Schroeder can set things up along the half boards and kassian can screen the goalie/ get loose pucks behind the net. Raymond has some of our best snipes this season.

Higgins could replace kassian if he isn't working, (Higgins screened Niemi and he did a good deflection on a lapierre shot a few games to get a goal) Don't think he gets enough credit for his play infront of the net

#28 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

I bet the only real differences we have is on the topic of AV... I still think he's the best option for us to win this season... if he fails to get us close or win the Cup, I personally would be willing to see him go. My arguments have always been that the way this team was built (from the net out), AVs style really suits this team, if AV were to be let go we would need to make some major moves imo.

Let's say AV was fired tomorrow (I know you're loving that), and Ruff was hired, I really feel that we would need to trade for a flashy winger to complement the second line (ideally someone like Gaborik) - this would take a lot of picks/prospects to make happen and then our ability to compete in the future would diminish. The main problem with this scenario is that it goes against everything Gillis has ever said (Detroit model, not sacrificing the future blah blah) - Probably a better chance to win the cup this year - but in 2 - 5 years the Canucks would have to go into a full rebuild mode (how long can these last? ask Edmonton, Calgary (has CBJ ever stopped?) - If that scenario guarantees a cup then sign me up - but if it doesn't I would rather the Canucks compete year after year (make the playoffs)

I think given the way the farm looks now though - and looking at what we would be able to trade to improve it in the short term - a harsh and deep rebuild is coming in a few years no matter what.

That is the main reason I am suggesting that we change coaches. We have not won a cup yet and with a few more years with this core I think the risk of making a change now is more than offset by the potential reward of a different coaching staff making a difference.

It is not that I want AV fired for the sake of it. It is that this group has - for a number of reasons - not managed to get it done. And Gillis will not likely be making any major changes player-wise as you say. So maybe a different voice will help. Maybe it won't but it is a pretty calculated risk to take at this point I think.

#29 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,164 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

Use garrison as he was used in Florida.

Unfortunately Jason Garrison was more or less a support dman in Florida. He had the opportunity to be paired in Brian Campbell. Example is Edler thrived off playing with either Ehrhoff or Salo but those are both gone.

My fix is bring in an offensive dman.

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

#30 Raffi Torres's Smirk

Raffi Torres's Smirk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

I really like the lines Aladeen proposed.

As for strategy, I like what San Jose was doing to us last night. They did this thing where they'd cycle the puck three times in a row (at the top of the goalie's-left faceoff circle) which resulted in a down low 2 on 1. We should have one/a couple set plays like that. Simple, effective plays to open space up for the right people. There's someone getting paid for this stuff, let's see something new!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.