The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your PP fix

Vicky

Once the bread and butter of this team, our powerplay has been woefully inadequate this season. 0 for 5 last night, no goals in the last 15.

Time to vent Canucks fans. What would be your solution to getting our PP back on track and punishing our opponents once again?

I'll start.

1. The experiment with 4 forwards has gone on long enough. Time to put the D with the booming shoots back up top where they belong. As Gary Valk suggested last night, PKers have an easy job when they know that Schroeder and Hank aren't going to shoot so they cover Edler (chances are his stick will shatter on the high and wide shot anyway <_< ).

2. Time to plant a big body in front of the net and keep him there. We've had a lot of goals coming off the screen this year. Burr has had success, Higgins last night. Why not get Kass on the ice and in front of the netminder. This was once a mainstay of all powerplays, seems to have fallen out of vogue (with our team anyway).

3. Entering the zone. It seems that we've been taking way to long getting into our opponents zone. Wasting half a minute behind our net, 4 players static at the blue line waiting for the puck to be carried/shot in. Thankfully the ineffective drop passes seem to be minimal as of late.

What's your fix?

KASS in front screening....garrison with a booming shot...Tanev for defensive safety....sedins

HIGGY Raymond hansen.... Barker seems to find seams and get shots through.... Edler I guess ...at least Raymond can cover defensively with his speed ....

I think the reason the game lines are always screwed with is because av always has to have defensively responsible peeps on each line.... ie...sedins/ burr

That's why KASS isn't with them....

I agree with having another shot threat at the blue line. You can tell they want to get Edler the shot but the opposing team knows this and usually charges at him and he winds up shooting wide to avoid the player. Put Garrison back on the top PP unit please. At least then we have two shots that the PK will be scared of opening up the down low play as well.

I don't think Kass has enough experience to screen the goalie. He is a big body but he doesn't position himself as well as Burrows or Higgins. If we want to get him some experience then I would put him there but I think it will be more detrimental to the power play. He is still learning body position and where to go for the rebounds. If you watch him in front of the net he usually loses where the goalie's position is and is often not in the right position for rebounds. With more experience I'm sure he will get better at this.

It's so sad knowing a couple years ago we were so dominant....

I would try

Sedins - Kass

Schroeder - Garrison

I like the right hand shot on the left point with Kassian causing havoc in front... Or load up Garrison! Obviously let the Sedins do what they do best, puck control.

Get new coaches who can completely change things up in the ways you suggest rather than just timy tweaks that make no difference. We don't have another 60 games to get the PP rolling.

Also, lose the favoritism and the excuse that nothing will work on our D unless it comes from a right handed shooter......just an excuse to play favorites if you ask me.

I agree with you and would add this:

Get Garrison on the PP and give him a guy on the other side who can QUICKLY AND ACCURATELY set him up for one timers - like he had with Campbell in Florida......Edler's lack of ability or desire to one time pucks is a huge issue. But Garrison needs a true setup guy. Try Ballard there FFS....at least he can pass well.

Hamhuis and Schroeder off the point, Ballard and Garrison on the point. Kassian or Burrows in front of the net......and LOW ACCURATE Shots that actually hit the net.

And one really big key is DON'T WASTE HALF THE ???? PP SITTING BEHIND OUR NET WAITING FOR THE PERFECT STORM BEFORE YOU BREAKOUT.

Like the entire game of the Cnaucks they need to adopt the philosophy that doing it good right now is better than waiting to do it perfectly later. URGENCY.

This may be the first time I have ever agreed with you on anything but this is spot on what they should do.......

Burrows with the Sedins is not bad as he does go to the net pretty effectively....but they tend to fall into the 5 on 5 cycle game on the PP with Burrows there and gobble up important seconds.

That second unit needs to just outwork the PK like they outwork guys 5 on 5.

I think our PP (and our whole game actually) would be much more unpredictable if Henrik would learn to shoot the puck a lot more than he does. He has a great shot when he uses it but you can see that teams know he will not shoot, so they cover the point guys like Edler much closer for the shot. Henrik still makes them look foolish with his sick passing of course but add in the unpredictability of a possible shot and it makes Henrik the focus leaving the points more open to shoot the puck.

The PP needs to play to the strengths of what we have in personel -

Sedins - obvious,

Kassian - Big body net presence - basically needs to stand there and retrive pucks from behind the net when required (can always rotate other forwards here like Hansen, Burr, Higgins, Kes obviously if a fresh look is needed),

Ballard and Garrison made their names on the PP - Ballard is a slick skater that can be great QBing that PP (unfortunately Edler takes up time and seems to have about zero urgency on the PP), and Garrison has that booming shot that will make defenders hesitate (at least) to block the shot - hey if he doesn't score taking out a player's ankle may be just as effective :bigblush:

Once the bread and butter of this team, our powerplay has been woefully inadequate this season. 0 for 5 last night, no goals in the last 15.

Time to vent Canucks fans. What would be your solution to getting our PP back on track and punishing our opponents once again?

I'll start.

1. The experiment with 4 forwards has gone on long enough. Time to put the D with the booming shoots back up top where they belong. As Gary Valk suggested last night, PKers have an easy job when they know that Schroeder and Hank aren't going to shoot so they cover Edler (chances are his stick will shatter on the high and wide shot anyway <_< ).

2. Time to plant a big body in front of the net and keep him there. We've had a lot of goals coming off the screen this year. Burr has had success, Higgins last night. Why not get Kass on the ice and in front of the netminder. This was once a mainstay of all powerplays, seems to have fallen out of vogue (with our team anyway).

3. Entering the zone. It seems that we've been taking way to long getting into our opponents zone. Wasting half a minute behind our net, 4 players static at the blue line waiting for the puck to be carried/shot in. Thankfully the ineffective drop passes seem to be minimal as of late.

What's your fix?

Archived