Canucks Community

Your PP fix

Vicky

1st unit - D.Sedin-----------Kassian--------------H.Sedin

Edler-------------Garrison

2nd unit - Schroeder-------Burrows---------Raymond

Hamhuis-----------------Bieksa

When Kesler comes back he can replace the weaker of the 3 non Sedin's

You're pretty sure? I'm pretty sure AV would have loved to keep Ehrhoff. Show me a coach that actually likes the idea of losing his top offensive defenseman...

In fact, what makes me so sure that AV liked Ehrhoff is the fact that during the Stanley Cup run, he did exactly what you are constantly criticizing him for. He played favorites.

Ehrhoff was easily the weakest link defensively and had the plus/minus to prove it. However, even though the PP had dried up, AV continued throwing Ehrhoff out there in all situations, even though his play showed that he didn't deserve it.

He did so because he felt that Ehrhoff gave him the best chance to win, the same reason he plays the guys that he does now.

You're doing some impressive tap dancing here, but as far as hanging the blame on Vigneault for Ehrhoff's departure, you're 100% wrong.

I'm of the opinion that the PP needs to be radically altered and have 2 bonafide threats.

Burrows-H.Sedin-Kassian

Hamhuis-Edler

D.Sedin-Schroeder-Booth

Bieksa-Garrison

Each unit has a booming left shot, net presence, world class QB passers, and defensively responsible dman.

Sedins QB each unit. Kass and Booth as net presence, Schroeder and Burr as half wall cycles.

I think that may be why he left though. He deserved MORE than Bieksa.

The term was pretty ridiculous but it never should have gotten to that point. Gillis rolled the dice thinking every player wants to accept it his way without question and let it go too long to get a more reasonable deal done. Ehrhoff gets a lot of flack for taking the money and some of that is deserved. I don't think even a 10 year contract at 4 million per for an offensive D would have been that bad or an albatross. It is not like he was old at the time of signing it and sometimes that kind of fixed cost for many years is a good thing. 10 years no....but 7? or 8? Why not? He would have still been movable down the road imo. I mean, he gave Garrison what 6 years at 4.6? And Edler got 5 million for 6 years, didnt he? How is that any better really?

The real mistake was the disconnect between Gillis and AV about just where Ballard would be expected to fit in if Ehrhoff was not kept. I think Gillis expected Ballard would be given that role and AV had other ideas. The best solution would have been Gillis admitting he made a mistake trading for a guy who the coach will not utilize and traded him for anything he could get to keep Ehrhoff.

You're pretty sure? I'm pretty sure AV would have loved to keep Ehrhoff. Show me a coach that actually likes the idea of losing his top offensive defenseman...

In fact, what makes me so sure that AV liked Ehrhoff is the fact that during the Stanley Cup run, he did exactly what you are constantly criticizing him for. He played favorites.

Ehrhoff was easily the weakest link defensively and had the plus/minus to prove it. However, even though the PP had dried up, AV continued throwing Ehrhoff out there in all situations, even though his play showed that he didn't deserve it.

He did so because he felt that Ehrhoff gave him the best chance to win, the same reason he plays the guys that he does now.

You're doing some impressive tap dancing here, but as far as hanging the blame on Vigneault for Ehrhoff's departure, you're 100% wrong.

Sedins and Kassian up front.

Edler and Garison on the point.

Kassian has good hands, good shot (right handed), an tough in front.. And I would still leave Edler there. He was great at setting up Ehrhoff for those one timers. Hopefully he could get some chemistry with Jason in the same way. He also has a good shot from the point.. So the Pkers can't just key on one d man.

PP#1:

Sedin Sedin Kesler

Garrison Edler

Using an umbrella formation, instead of the half wall setup they normally employ. Garrison playing the top of the umbrella with Edler on the left side and Henrik on the right, Danny & Kesler down low. Also could use the spread to allow for more shots from the point as well. I also think the 1-3-1 would work great here since these are skilled guys.

PP#2:

Higgins Raymond Kassian

Schroeder (Ballard) Bieksa

I would use the Spread here as well or the overload, since there is a lower skill level on this group than the first unit. Put pucks on net and have Higgins and Kassian mop up the garbage.

Or, we get a treat and pick up Clowe from San Jose and put him on the top line pp and move Kesler to the second unit pushing Raymond to the point.

Don't know if it's already been mentioned in this thread but Jeff Paterson mentioned on Twitter that Daniel has ONE shot - not one goal, one SHOT - on the Canucks' last 28 PP's and only has 7 PP shots on the year. That's just appalling. The fix the PP needs is a triggerman, a sniper. The Sedins are great passers whose goals are mostly tap-ins off each other's sweet feeds. Daniel has a fairly good wrist shot but rarely uses it anyway. Get this team a triggerman, for the love of God!

Don't know if it's already been mentioned in this thread but Jeff Paterson mentioned on Twitter that Daniel has ONE shot - not one goal, one SHOT - on the Canucks' last 28 PP's and only has 7 PP shots on the year. That's just appalling. The fix the PP needs is a triggerman, a sniper. The Sedins are great passers whose goals are mostly tap-ins off each other's sweet feeds. Daniel has a fairly good wrist shot but rarely uses it anyway. Get this team a triggerman, for the love of God!

Archived