The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SimCity: Don't Waste Your Money

I was super excited to buy this game yesterday as it has been 10 years since SimCity 4.

I thought the lengthy download was a painful experience, however that was nothing compared to what came after;

- It took another couple of hours to patch the game.

- At this point I found out you had to be online even to play the game in single player. So much for playing while I am on the road or on vacation.

- All the servers were full and nothing opened up for me until about midnight PST.

- After playing for a couple of hours you will find out that you have run out of room. The map sizes are smaller than the small map sizes in SimCity 4 and there is no way to make them bigger.

- Today is the same issue with the servers. What makes matters worse is you have to join the same server in order to play the SINGLE player game that was saved.

The game and issues surrounding it are so bad that Amazon is actually issuing refunds which never happens for games/movies.

If you had told me a year or so ago that there was going to be a new Sim City game, I would have been very excited. The old SimCity games are among my favourites of all-time, and I've wasted countless hours on them. But this combination of always online DRM, and being a newly published EA game makes it a total nonstarter.

I haven't played it for myself, but based on what I've seen of the game, it does look kind of intersting. Yet because of everything that they've done it makes buying the game a no-go.

It's supposedly a good game, but everyone is saying to hold off on buying it now until EA gets its crap together. This might be a blessing in disguise because it's recieving way more flak for bad servers than it ever has for it's sport and other games. This might make them finally look at their subpar servers.

It's supposedly a good game, but everyone is saying to hold off on buying it now until EA gets its crap together. This might be a blessing in disguise because it's recieving way more flak for bad servers than it ever has for it's sport and other games. This might make them finally look at their subpar servers.

Archived