The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SimCity: Don't Waste Your Money

Can only play it online. They wanted to try and stop piracy. The day it was released, someone was able to release it online. And that version I hear is working a lot better then the real one.

I'm glad my computer sucks so much I can't play on it yet. I'm a major fan of the series - I have Simcity 2000, 3000 Unlimited, and 4. Was going to get it, up to the point of reading about the online-only mode. Even then, I would have sucked it up, and played on it every once in a while. Of course, reading about how servers are getting overloaded left and right totally put me off.

No more for now...not until EA/Maxis releases a version for single-player offline mode.

So I bought it first day as well, and this is my first time visiting CDC since. It has been taking up all my free time. So I wanted to give a review from the perspective from someone who really enjoys it, despite the issues:

Persistant internet required sucks big time. You need internet to play, no matter what. If that is a deal breaker for you, go to a torrents site and wait for the cracked offline version. This was really bad at first but they have since added a ton of servers and getting on is not a problem. Also the server crashes have been all but done away with and the cloud saves have been perfect.

Small city sizes is both bad and good, but more on the good side. How cities effect regions aside, every single one of your citizens is actually simulated! Every single one of your citizens needs a home, and if they cant find work or homes, they will even congregrate and sleep in your parks. They will all get on buses or drive to and from work evrey day. This means you if you have 150,000 people trying to get to work, school, and go on vacation everyday, I hope you know your transportation. They said that bigger cities are coming in a DLC but I can't imagine trying to run a city of 500,000+ sims.

You can also Upgrade almost anything. Start with some simple dirt roads to lay out your city and upgrade the populated areas to control growth as you get the money. Upgrade your town halls and all your special buildings such as mines or garbage dumps to suit your needs. Adding upper floors on your jail and placing special signs around your city are fun ways you can tweak your city with upgrades.

The Budget is actually manageable. Instead of trying to figure out percentages, add ons and services and buildings all have flat rates for costs and is easy for you to decide what services you can cut or enable. Its easier to make money and save up for larger projects.

Utilities are simplified. Now power, sewage, water, and sims all travel through roads so as long as your on a road way, your fully hooked up.

Then of course there is the highlight Multiplayer. As Sim City is now an online game, the multiplayer experience is very deep and more importantly alot of fun. As all your neighboring cities effect one another in your reegion there is macro management across the region and then the micromanagement in your cluster. Too watch a giant region of cities develop and watching your sims travel from place to place is also a very rewarding experience.

I wonder if there is enough Mayors on here to make a CDC region?

I still play sim city 4... it was released like 10 years ago. I wonder if EA will keep their servers up for 10 years?

Heres a legal question....

If i PAY full price for the sims, THEN play a cracked version at home without the internet am i breaking any laws?

Im not sure if i know HOW to get a cracked version, but if i knew i could play the game 10 years from now (if a want) i might buy it.

Do you HAVE to play it with other people? I mean, do you have to interact with others on there? My mom is a big sim city fan (also loves the sims), but I know she would have no interest in, and probably be disturbed by, the requirement to interact with strangers.

Can it be avoided?

Archived