Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

SimCity: Don't Waste Your Money

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#31 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,403 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

I bought it... God damnit.

1314_IProvo_1680x1050.jpg

#32 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

I'm glad my computer sucks so much I can't play on it yet. I'm a major fan of the series - I have Simcity 2000, 3000 Unlimited, and 4. Was going to get it, up to the point of reading about the online-only mode. Even then, I would have sucked it up, and played on it every once in a while. Of course, reading about how servers are getting overloaded left and right totally put me off.

No more for now...not until EA/Maxis releases a version for single-player offline mode.

#33 Five For Fighting

Five For Fighting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

Can only play it online. They wanted to try and stop piracy. The day it was released, someone was able to release it online. And that version I hear is working a lot better then the real one.

This is nothing but a rumor. There is no working pirated version that has been released to the public. All the ones on torrent sites are fake. That said it wouldn't surprise me to see a working copy before this mess is fixed
Posted Image

#34 Five For Fighting

Five For Fighting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

Were you trying to make sense with this reply? You failed.

Made perfect sense to me and that's all that matters ;)
Posted Image

#35 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

1st world problems

In case you failed to notice, this whole forum is full of first world problems.

Rapid transit vs building roads? Totally a first world problem. Compare that to rural areas where you either get mud roads or a donkey.
AV or Lindy Ruff? Another one - who cares about hockey when there's work to be done on the farm?
Lu or Schneider? Yet another one. 5.3/year to play hockey or to sit on a bench is totally a first world problem.

#36 fourminute

fourminute

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

no waste it's all worht money i like including mods in it too
Posted Image

#37 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

1st world problems

You should never complain again, because unless you haven't eaten in two weeks, or you have yellow fever or malaria or something it's all first world problems you jackass

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#38 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

So I bought it first day as well, and this is my first time visiting CDC since. It has been taking up all my free time. So I wanted to give a review from the perspective from someone who really enjoys it, despite the issues:

Persistant internet required sucks big time. You need internet to play, no matter what. If that is a deal breaker for you, go to a torrents site and wait for the cracked offline version. This was really bad at first but they have since added a ton of servers and getting on is not a problem. Also the server crashes have been all but done away with and the cloud saves have been perfect.

Small city sizes is both bad and good, but more on the good side. How cities effect regions aside, every single one of your citizens is actually simulated! Every single one of your citizens needs a home, and if they cant find work or homes, they will even congregrate and sleep in your parks. They will all get on buses or drive to and from work evrey day. This means you if you have 150,000 people trying to get to work, school, and go on vacation everyday, I hope you know your transportation. They said that bigger cities are coming in a DLC but I can't imagine trying to run a city of 500,000+ sims.

You can also Upgrade almost anything. Start with some simple dirt roads to lay out your city and upgrade the populated areas to control growth as you get the money. Upgrade your town halls and all your special buildings such as mines or garbage dumps to suit your needs. Adding upper floors on your jail and placing special signs around your city are fun ways you can tweak your city with upgrades.

The Budget is actually manageable. Instead of trying to figure out percentages, add ons and services and buildings all have flat rates for costs and is easy for you to decide what services you can cut or enable. Its easier to make money and save up for larger projects.

Utilities are simplified. Now power, sewage, water, and sims all travel through roads so as long as your on a road way, your fully hooked up.

Then of course there is the highlight Multiplayer. As Sim City is now an online game, the multiplayer experience is very deep and more importantly alot of fun. As all your neighboring cities effect one another in your reegion there is macro management across the region and then the micromanagement in your cluster. Too watch a giant region of cities develop and watching your sims travel from place to place is also a very rewarding experience.

I wonder if there is enough Mayors on here to make a CDC region?

#39 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

I still play sim city 4... it was released like 10 years ago. I wonder if EA will keep their servers up for 10 years?

Heres a legal question....
If i PAY full price for the sims, THEN play a cracked version at home without the internet am i breaking any laws?
Im not sure if i know HOW to get a cracked version, but if i knew i could play the game 10 years from now (if a want) i might buy it.
Posted Image

Portland Oregon: The first U.S. city to play for the Stanley Cup!

#40 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,053 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

Do you HAVE to play it with other people? I mean, do you have to interact with others on there? My mom is a big sim city fan (also loves the sims), but I know she would have no interest in, and probably be disturbed by, the requirement to interact with strangers.

Can it be avoided?

212e8lw.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#41 Crom!

Crom!

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

Do you HAVE to play it with other people? I mean, do you have to interact with others on there? My mom is a big sim city fan (also loves the sims), but I know she would have no interest in, and probably be disturbed by, the requirement to interact with strangers.

Can it be avoided?

You can privatize your region so that only you can play in it but it will still have to be connected to the online servers. So yes you can play by yourself.

#42 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Tempted but the city size sounds like a real downer only to be made a cashgrab down the road. Plus it's EA. Why cant they make simcity for the consoles and Madden/NHL for computer like in the good ol' days?

#43 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

I'm probably going to buy the game as I've seen a handful of playthroughs on Youtube. Gameplay looks awesome but there are so many bugs/glitches in the game right now. Typical EA, so I'm just going to wait it out for a couple of months until all the connection issues BS are all sorted out. And plus, the last thing I need is another distraction headed into final exam season.

This online-only crap is really getting overboard now. The failure of D3 and the possible failure of Sim City 2013 should be sending a signal to game developers now...

#44 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,403 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

Honestly. I've had 0 server issues since day 1.

Maybe don't be dumb and get out of the full servers. More than half the servers are empty.

Love the game.

Edited by Armada, 12 March 2013 - 09:12 PM.

1314_IProvo_1680x1050.jpg

#45 Five For Fighting

Five For Fighting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

Honestly. I've had 0 server issues since day 1.

Maybe don't be dumb and get out of the full servers. More than half the servers are empty.

Love the game.

Ya the server issues seem fine now but the map size is insane. Can't build a metropolis :(
Posted Image

#46 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,346 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

Anyone up for a CDC region?

kb71ZMt.jpg

#47 VancouverCanucksRock

VancouverCanucksRock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,566 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

wow. Who would ever think DL times would be slow and servers would be full on release day for a big game? I would never expect that.

They produced X number of games, they should've had the same amount of available space on the servers! I don't even have this game, but your comment was just dumb
Posted Image WHen idiots think numbers are words, I do believe in 2012 for cleansing Earth of the idiots

#48 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,801 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

Simcity is tough to get good at if you want to build epic cities with skyscrapers, millions of people, etc. It's very time consuming and you generally need to watch a lot of video on how to do it otherwise you'll never get there.
Posted Image

#49 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

You should never complain again, because unless you haven't eaten in two weeks, or you have yellow fever or malaria or something it's all first world problems you jackass

Whatever you clown. Yeah, it's annoying, but keep it in perspective.

#50 lx Birdie xl

lx Birdie xl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

Got the game yesterday.. Loving it.. but having 2 issues.. well 1 fixed itself..(when switching between cities I could no longer speed the game up at all.. stayed on slowest but went away after a while)

2nd issue being that almost the same point into my 2nd city.. it boots me out and I can no longer get into it.. just constant loading. I restarted my region and it did this twice. Really bugging me..

#51 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

Got the game today. Anyone got a region going?

#52 lx Birdie xl

lx Birdie xl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:45 AM

I play by myself.. But since they're last patch.. I feel the game is garbage worse than it was pre-patch..

#53 lx Birdie xl

lx Birdie xl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

Well.. just found out 1 perk to having to be always online.. Power went out just before the game started..

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.