The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Perfect 3rd or 2nd line centre for the Canucks?

NHLYoungGuns

Dude, you're looking at the top line (i.e., expenditures)...Aquillini's are more worried about the bottom line (i.e., profit). Last time I checked, the Canucks are making money, and the Coyotes are bleeding money. You think the Aquillini's are upset about having to spend 38% more on player pay roll to make substantial bottom line earnings? Oh, and let's not forget about the equity value in the Canucks vs. the Coyotes, as a result of spending the extra cash on signing players...

Before you start debating what the Aquillini's might be unhappy about, you should probably get a better understanding of the basic economics of ownership and its associated liabilities/assets/returns...otherwise, you just sound really stupid.

Back to OP...Vermette, Bozak or Brassard would be good pick ups to play a second line role...move Kes to third line Selke role.

What would it take to snag Statsny without losing any key roster players?

Two 2nd's + a prospect?

Or I like the idea of adding Vermette ; even a guy like Frans Nielsen .

Vermette : 22 GP 6 G 6 A 12 Points

Statsny : 21 GP 6 G 7 A 13 Points

Nielsen : 23 GP 2 G 9 A 11 Points

Just focusing on rumoured potential trade partners....

Sean Couturier is the obvious answer - young ELC who can handle d zone starts at a very young age and has outstanding two way upside. Worth paying for imo.

Most realistically - I'd like Goc - a very solid two way 3C at a reasonable cap hit. Drew Shore would also be a nice acquisition if dealing with Florida.

NYI - I like Cizikas as a young depth C - and Brock Nelson would be a real nice near NHL-ready prospect to land.

Some folks have mentioned Zach Smith - would pay the price to land him packaged with Neil. I'd like to see us add both a 3C and a 4C - Brian Boyle would be worth paying for imo - Steckel could probably be had for a reasonable price and would be a good replacement for Manny's role...

Derrick Brassard

Frans Nielsen

Josh Bailey

Tyler Bozak

Marcel Goc

Mark Letestu

Drew Shore

Marcus Johansson

Zack Smith

Vladimir Sobotka

Nate Thompson

Nick Antropov

There are alot of guys out there, some I am more keen on than others, the question is, which are avaliable and what would the asking prices be.

I could see Gillis continuing the trend and trading with Florida for Goc. Cheap fill in player, nothing really too special.

But maybe he'll acquire Nielsen from NYI and have an all Danish line of Jensen-Nielsen-Hansen. :lol:

Vermette if Phoenix drops out. If not here are some other options

- Zack Smith (he'd fit perfectly IMO)

- Marcel Goc

- Frans Nielsen

- Daniel Alfredsson (if Ottawa drops out)

- Tyler Myers

- Ryane Clowe

IMO I think Gillis will make a Higgins/Lapierre type of unexpected move.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived