The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Perfect 3rd or 2nd line centre for the Canucks?

NHLYoungGuns

Antoine Vermette is the perfect fit.

Big, physical, great defensively and one of the best faceoff men in the NHL. Plus, Columbus is absolutely STACKED at the center position with plenty of good young centermen who will be top-6 guys soon. Johansen, Brassard, JAM are just to name a few.

Columbus are pretenders right now, they're not going to make the playoffs so hopefully they sell at the deadline. Throw them a 2nd rounder for Vermette, or any 2nd or 3rd tier prospect would do.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Kesler - Hansen

Higgins - Vermette - Schroeder

Kassian - Lapierre - Pinizotto

Weise

That gives us 6 centers in the lineup. You win with depth at center and we desperately need some quality NHL guys down the middle. As good as Schroeder and Pinizotto have been, they're no replacement for Kesler or a Vermette.

Antoine Vermette is the perfect fit.

Big, physical, great defensively and one of the best faceoff men in the NHL. Plus, Columbus is absolutely STACKED at the center position with plenty of good young centermen who will be top-6 guys soon. Johansen, Brassard, JAM are just to name a few.

Columbus are pretenders right now, they're not going to make the playoffs so hopefully they sell at the deadline. Throw them a 2nd rounder for Vermette, or any 2nd or 3rd tier prospect would do.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Kesler - Hansen

Higgins - Vermette - Schroeder

Kassian - Lapierre - Pinizotto

Weise

That gives us 6 centers in the lineup. You win with depth at center and we desperately need some quality NHL guys down the middle. As good as Schroeder and Pinizotto have been, they're no replacement for Kesler or a Vermette.

I like the same old speculated guys: Matthias and Bozak. Ott and Goc would fit nicely as well.

I really like Stastny, he would bring a lot of quality to our 3rd line, and he could also play with Kesler on the 2nd. The thing is his cap hit of 6.600M, we're already in a lot of trouble to meet next year's cap, he wouldn't help at that matter as he has one more year in his contract.

If it's your money, say you go to a dealership and by a car for 100k. A colleague comes in the next day with the same car and says he bought it for 50k. Wouldnt you be pissed?

I understand hockey has a lot more variables and uncertainty but the main point is, Phoenix got much better value compared to Vancouver. I dont think there's much debate to that.

And if I was the guy signing the checks, I would care about how much value I'm getting for those checks.

Ideal Third Line Centres (Who Also Might Be Available):

- Steve Ott

- Derek Roy

- Antoine Vermette

- Marcel Goc

If none of these guys are available, Boyd Gordon in Phoenix might be a good, cheaper, fit. Ideally he would be a 4th line guy, but I think he could work on the 3rd too.

I like the same old speculated guys: Matthias and Bozak. Ott and Goc would fit nicely as well.

I really like Stastny, he would bring a lot of quality to our 3rd line, and he could also play with Kesler on the 2nd. The thing is his cap hit of 6.600M, we're already in a lot of trouble to meet next year's cap, he wouldn't help at that matter as he has one more year in his contract.

throw kesler back down to the third and acquire ribeiro, and roll 2a and 2b. kesler takes the checking role and ribeiro brings scoring. its not likely we're going to be able to pick up a center who can check better than kesler, so why bother over paying for one? this way we have 3 scoring lines and 2 powerplay units. and we finally pick up someone who has skill that cant be taught.

sedin sedin burrows

booth/higgins ribeiro kassian

raymond kesler hansen

sestito lapierre weise

you can mix the wingers up kassian and burrow, raymond and higgins etc. and ribeiro centers the 2nd unit pp over higgins/schreoder or the hypothetical ott or vermette. use lapierre, higgin, kesler for pk

if you want to compete for the cup somehow trade garrison for boyle, we've been missing ehrhoff ever since he left and boyle can rush the puck up in a similar way.

if we're going to even consider having a chance against pittsburgh or chicago we have to be able to score like we used to.

What a great thread.

I am just gonna assume perfect as attainable.

Shaw Matthias

9 goals on Florida, doesn't necessarily play physical but has skill and would be a good line mate for Kassian to develop with.

Marcel Goc

Can battle hard and be a veteran presence at D we haven't had since Manny in his prime.

Luongo can get us both but we proabably have to send something florida's way.

If Gudbranson is available for Raymond and Corrado I'd do it too.

throw kesler back down to the third and acquire ribeiro, and roll 2a and 2b. kesler takes the checking role and ribeiro brings scoring. its not likely we're going to be able to pick up a center who can check better than kesler, so why bother over paying for one? this way we have 3 scoring lines and 2 powerplay units. and we finally pick up someone who has skill that cant be taught.

sedin sedin burrows

booth/higgins ribeiro kassian

raymond kesler hansen

sestito lapierre weise

you can mix the wingers up kassian and burrow, raymond and higgins etc. and ribeiro centers the 2nd unit pp over higgins/schreoder or the hypothetical ott or vermette. use lapierre, higgin, kesler for pk

if you want to compete for the cup somehow trade garrison for boyle, we've been missing ehrhoff ever since he left and boyle can rush the puck up in a similar way.

if we're going to even consider having a chance against pittsburgh or chicago we have to be able to score like we used to.

Vermette would be somewhat of an upgrade but is still a fringe second line centre, MG needs to make a splash, acquire a player that will push us to the next level and Stanley cup contention...every year leading up to the trade deadline there's speculation of players that will forsure be moved and in the end players get moved that know one thought were available.

Can't believe I'm saying this but Schroeder is rounding out into a nice 3rd line center option for us. He'll probably get dominated in the playoffs though which is why we need a huge-bodied 3rd line center to play with Schroeder and Raymond. The two speedsters can still create opportunities with each other while the center parks himself in front of the net and wins battles along the boards.

That lets us promote Hansen to the 2nd line or even 1st line where he really deserves to be. This sort of a lineup would go deep in the playoffs:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - Hansen

Raymond - x - Schroeder

Higgins - Lapierre - Sestito/Weise

Archived