The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why have the Canucks never won the Cup?

I just have an honest question for all of you. In your opinion as Canucks fans, why have the Canucks never won the cup? I don't intend to troll, I'm just curious as to what your answers will be. I know there is often talk about referee conspiracy after each loss especially in the playoffs, but surely this couldn't have been the case for all 41 years of your team's history.

I mean, all teams fall victim to bad officiating at some point, yet all but one of them that has been around as long or longer than the Canucks have managed to battle through whatever adversity they may have faced and win the cup at least once in their history. In my humble opinion it's pretty shameful for a team in hockey's home country to be so close to the record for longest time in the league without a cup. The Canucks have no doubt had some good teams over the years, so what always goes wrong?

One theory I have involves the perception of, well, you guys. Again I am not trying to be insulting, but I am aware that the fans in Vancouver have a reputation for being perhaps the worst in all of sports, AGAIN, not saying this is true, but two riots and what seems to be a pure inability to ever place blame on the team itself for it's own shortcomings rather than pointing to a bad call by a ref or a conspiracy by the league certainly don't do the fanbase any favors. Not to mention the defense of all the cheapshots and dives and whining which the team has become known for.

One thing that I believe all fans know in the back of their minds but none will admit in regards to the 2011 riot is that it was the team's and fan's and city's own sense of entitlement that caused the city to be unprepared for the situation, allowing it to get out of hand and turn into the riot that so many people around the world will now forever associate with the simple mention of Vancouver. Every person in the city from city hall to the downtown eastside was so certain that the Canucks would win the cup, that there was no need to be concerned with any extracurricular activities afterward other than perhaps a few drunks celebrating too hard (such as what ended up happening in Boston).

Could this reputation have some effect on the teams perennial misfortunes in the playoffs? perhaps the motivation of saving the cup from going to a team with such fans as well as being disgraced by names like Burrows, Kesler, Sedin, Torres, etc. helped propel Boston to their dominance in the last 2 games?

This may or may not be true. But I want to know what the fans of this team think. Why have the Canucks never won the Stanley Cup?

I truly believe they win in 1994 if Nathan Lafyette scores late in the 3rd to tie the game in NY instead of hitting the crossbar. The Rangers were dead and the Canucks had them on the ropes. He scores and they win in regulation or OT. So I guess in a word,"luck" or in this case Bad-luck!

It's shameful? To live in one of the best countries, let alone hockey places, in the world?

You say you're not trolling but I am a little suspicious.

And the riots caused our losses? That we are too cocky as a whole is partly to blame? Sure, ok.

Let me fill you in a little, as someone who's watched this team for a long time.

First and foremost, this latest riot had ZERO to do with fans or the game. Nothing. It was a preplanned event by a bunch of hooligans, looking for a venue to practice their art. They're paying the price now. Don't associate them with having anything to do with the game...they wore the shirts - yeah. But I don't drive around a racetrack because I have an Earnhardt Jr. tee shirt. I get the unprepared part and have to agree with that, but it had nothing to do with the fans or team.

No sense of entitlement...any thinking we'd win the cup was simply pure and absolute desire to. We didn't feel we'd had a fair chance at a run not long before so, of course, we expected things to be different - to be fair.

In our early past - no cup = not a contending team. Then we made it in, but were never really expected to "win"...as polite and happy Canadians, we were just happy to be there. '94 - we went all in. The city, the team...we all carried a little of Trevor's blood on our sweaters and that one was tough, but we got our money's worth so to speak. It was all left out there.

Lately, this league is a joke. A fiasco. Sure, we've had a team that is capable - but that's only part of it. The reffing is horrible and has had an impact. And untimely injuries is also a huge factor. Can't project, plan for or really do much about that - when your star players and supporting cast are playing hurt, they give it their all but it isn't always enough. Goaltenders get hot/cold...Thomas was on fire and we all know about some struggles we've faced, so it's all about timing and luck in when that lines up.

But don't try to figure it out - you're clearly not equipped to. We probably aren't either...we'll just patiently keep waiting. Not much more to say or be done in it.

People think they're witty by posting statements that in fact contribute nothing to the thread and doesn't actually answer the OP. Why yes, we didn't win because another team did ad we failed to win 16. Great observation! I'm sure the OP is enlightened by your critically important response.

To OP: You could probably say that there were multiple factors that sort of snowballed the entire campaign past any hope of winning.

I still stand by the belief that the offense was the biggest problem. Our so-called offensive powerhouse seemingly shuts down come April, and the occasional blowouts don't justify anything.

Though what you're saying with the riots just doesn't make sense to me.

Ouch, someone brought of the cup question.

I like how you also don't tell us what team you support either, and I guess if you think our riots were bad, you must of never seen the ones that happen over soccer in Europe.

Because the Canucks have never been "super terrible" enough to get the draft picks they need to win a cup.

For the last like 2 decades we've always "barely" missed the playoffs. The only top 5 picks we've had in a long time are the Sedins.. We've never been truly terrible enough to really get any legitimate superstars that can single handedly win you a series. (Crosby, Toews, Kane, Malkin etc.)

That is exactly what I'm talking about. There was no "small group of professional troublemakers" as the mayor and police chief would like to have you believe. The rioters were Canucks fans just the same as all of you. They rioted because they were angry about losing. It is this tendenct to always try and place blame somewhere else that is so largely responsible for the reputation the fanbase has.

Because the Canucks have never been "super terrible" enough to get the draft picks they need to win a cup.

For the last like 2 decades we've always "barely" missed the playoffs. The only top 5 picks we've had in a long time are the Sedins.. We've never been truly terrible enough to really get any legitimate superstars that can single handedly win you a series. (Crosby, Toews, Kane, Malkin etc.)

Archived