The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dziurzynski knocked out by Fraser McLaren

Are you kidding?

Name 5 enforcers.

I watched hockey in the 70s and 80s - I know the difference.

There were as many on the 1980s Calgary Flames as there are in the entire Western Conference today.

Chris Neil and Sean Thornton types are not enforcers - they are guys who can skate, hit, score and play the game - they could make the NHL even if it were a post-fighting league. The Bruins are arguably the toughest team in the NHL - they don't have a single enforcer on their roster. Their "tough guys" can play the game.

Sean Thornton lead the Bs in penalty minutes their Cup season - with 122 pm - the 1985/6 Flames had 8 guys with more than that.

There are very few guys in today's NHL who would qualify - John Scott, Colton Orr...?

That's because back then the enforcers were there ONLY to fight. Guys like Tie Domi, Dave Semenko, Bob Probert....they were fighters and that is IT. Because fighting is slowly being phased out (as much as I hate to say it, it's a dying part of the sport) of hockey, the fighters, or "enforcers", are being worked on a hell of a lot more. In that regard they are becoming more and more able to skate, shoot, defend, etc. As soon as they learn to do those other things, they're no longer labeled "enforcers" or "goons". Fact of the matter is, guys like Thornton, Sestito, Neil, Kaleta, etc. are still "enforcers", just a modern day version.

Why? I agree with some of what you had to say on staged fighting but in reality it's not like the Leafs 4th line is forcing guys to fight them. McLaren asked Dziurznyski if he wanted to go and Dzurzynski dropped the gloves after the face-off. It takes two to tango. They know the consequences.

That's because back then the enforcers were there ONLY to fight. Guys like Tie Domi, Dave Semenko, Bob Probert....they were fighters and that is IT. Because fighting is slowly being phased out (as much as I hate to say it, it's a dying part of the sport) of hockey the fighters or "enforcers", are being worked on a hell of a lot more. In that regard they are becoming more and more able to skate, shoot, defend, etc. As soon as they learn to do those other things, they're no longer labeled "enforcers" or "goons". Fact of the matter is, guys like Thornton, Sestito, Neil, Kaleta, etc. are still "enforcers", just a modern day version.

Besides, back in the 70's and 80's, they weren't "enforcers". They were straight up goons.

The three guys you mention were actually pretty damn good hockey players, Max. They started off as enforcers for their respective clubs and had huge PIMs, but they eventually became decent players, especially Bob Probert.

Some of the tough guys/enforcers from the 70s and 80s were also decent players...some that come to mind are Clarke Gillies (known as Jethro during his playing days), Terry O'Reilly (The Taz Devil); John Wensink; Joey Kocur; Tiger Williams, Dan Maloney, Marty McSorley, Chris Nilan, Dave Manson, Darren McCarty...the list can grow pretty long. Hell, even Stu Grimson evolved his game to be a fairly effective fourth liner.

I can't really think of too many guys who never evolved their game and remained solely in the goon role...the only ones that I can recall are Jimmie Mann, Dave Brown and Dave Schultz. I'm sure this list is long, but I can't think of too many.

Are you kidding?

Name 5 enforcers.

I watched hockey in the 70s and 80s - I know the difference.

There were as many on the 1980s Calgary Flames as there are in the entire Western Conference today.

Chris Neil and Sean Thornton types are not enforcers - they are guys who can skate, hit, score and play the game - they could make the NHL even if it were a post-fighting league. The Bruins are arguably the toughest team in the NHL - they don't have a single enforcer on their roster. Their "tough guys" can play the game.

Sean Thornton lead the Bs in penalty minutes their Cup season - with 122 pm - the 1985/6 Flames had 8 guys with more than that.

There are very few guys in today's NHL who would qualify - John Scott, Colton Orr...?

Pointless fight 30 seconds into the game. I feel like it's not long until someone suffers a life changing injury in one of these useless fights that has nothing to do with hockey. Maybe that's what it will take to change the f'ed up Don Cherry mentality a lot of hockey fans possess.

Archived