The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best overall player so far?

Zuongo

For me it has been Tanev

He is starting to be a favorite of mine

Might not have the points to show his hard work (4 = 1 goal/3 assists) but he is working hard.

I get to listen to a lot of Radio1040 games (always on the go here) and more often than not, his name is the one that keeps coming back by the commentator. Looking at his ice time he's not always there on the ice but he always seems to make the plays and the right ones and his name sure is used a lot.

Anyway .... I am liking Tanev and he's impressed me so far

Others are:

Hansen, Higgins, and our first line ... man do I love waching the Sedins & Burr

Never been a Raymond fan but he has also been a surprise, I hope he keeps it up.

GO CANUCKS GO

its clearly burrows he was the best second line centre we have had so far even when kesler came back he wasnt as good as burrows.. kassians sitting in the front of the net not helping the sedins with the cycle dragged both sedins down.. until they put burrows back on their line and then the scoring chances and goals started to come hes a great PK man .. he hasnt been diving he hasnt been yapping just solid hard play every shift every night.

Tanev - Easily our most consistent dman. Whenever a dman is sliding, guess who they get to play with?

Raymond - Quieting the haters with an excellent year. Improved shot, strong on his skates, speed, he can pass , plays solid 2 way game.

Hansen - Hansen just does. He has been my favorite player sometime. Always on, physical, and just goes about his business.

Higgins - Probably the most under rated player on the team.

Sedins - Slow start but have looked like themselves again, need to get that PP back on track. It all goes through them

If I go on my impressions from having watched the games, I'd say Tanev, Burrows, Raymond (twins aside). Higgins and Hansen had slow starts but recently have played very well.

The Sedins and Burrows aren't really fair to include in the discussion imo - their ozone starts are entirely warranted, but also give them tremendous numbers.

If you go by underlying numbers it's a bit surprising - and I'll highlight a few of the less touted (Tanev aside).

Based only on the seven games he's been back, Booth has standout numbers. He's a +25.6 relative corsi, while getting only 45.3% offensive zone starts and managing 58.2% offensive zone finishes - quite impressive actually. He has backchecked very well, been strong on the boards in his own end and quick to move the puck, but his numbers are still surprising.

Tanev is also a +8.3 relative corsi with 49.3 % offensive zone starts and 57.6% finishes.

Neither of these guys have faced above average competition, but nevertheless are strong cases.

Ballard is a +3.1 with only 47.9% offensive zone starts - again, not the strongest competition.

Kassian is doing well - he's had only 47% offensive zone starts but has a positive relative corsi (+1) and has faced a strong quality of competition - he's actually 9th strongest on the club in each of these categories.

Tough to choose really.

Quality by committee.

Play a team game, win games.

I think Raymond has been much better this year, but overall from Game 1? Gotta be Tanev for me. He's been very under the radar, in the sense of generally not doing anything rash or stupid.

Archived