The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best overall player so far?

Zuongo

Hansen, Tanev, Sedins, Burrows, Raymond, Higgins. Top of the list for effort given (others should also be included).

Why is Lappy the 3rd center and not Schroeder????????? Lappy is a 4th line center and Schroeder isn't built for that.

Why is the media afraid to ask that question? Is/are the local media afraid/being bullied?

Ballard's is Av's whipping boy but he is playing better than Edler, IMO.

Edler wastes shootout attempts (I hate the shootout, it's circus time) whilst Edler gives it away way more than Ballard during actual hockey time! Who plays more nonchalant, Ballard or Edler?

I'm sorry Av but the nonchalant award goes to your favorite son!

Canucks just aren't a top team these days, no way no how. Can Kesler come back.... not so far! when???

What's MG saying these days that is based on the actual reality of being a losing team within a weak division?

Too much blaming the refs and not enough power play goals when they do get an opportunity.

I hate this but we suck right now. Either fire the damn coach or trade someone, what else can you do?

Hansen, Tanev, Sedins, Burrows, Raymond, Higgins. Top of the list for effort given (others should also be included).

Why is Lappy the 3rd center and not Schroeder????????? Lappy is a 4th line center and Schroeder isn't built for that.

Why is the media afraid to ask that question? Is/are the local media afraid/being bullied?

I'm very surprised Higgins hasn't been mentioned more than he is right now, perhaps you could use him interchangeably with Jannik Hansen seeing as their style of play is quite similar. As Barry MacDonald put it, he brings heart to the game every night with a "blue-collared work ethic" and people under-appreciate him for that. These are the types of players (Higgins, Hansen, Burrows as of 2011) that make the system work. We have skill in the first line, and really you could say that Henrik has been our best overall player so far, but (with respect to the improved edge in Hank's game recently) the thing about Higgins is that he's a versatile guy. He's doing the best at what he was brought in for. If everyone on the team can play to their strengths every night, it'll be a nicer system to watch.

More on Higgins as a role player and as a jack of all trades from the wonderful guys at Canucks Army:

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/2/14/chris-higgins-and-the-value-of-the-role-player

http://canucksarmy.c...n-but-he-should

Tanev has been the most consistent and reliable.

Hansen has been great at times as well.

I wouldn't go with the either of the Sedins at this point, mostly as they have so underachieved on the PP (esp. Daniel).

Luongo was at the start of the season but has dropped off a lot.

Guest Gumballthechewy

No he doesn't. He needs to learn how to play D and be a consistent skater, not sneak around in the offensive zone and pot goals (that's easy for him on that line). He looked terrible in a bottom 6 role earlier in the season, but he's starting to look better. Hopefully he can take some strides in that style of game before the playoffs. I wish he would threaten the middle of the ice on the rush, but I'm satisfied for now with his improved energy level.

Best overall forward: Hansen. He works hard every night, plays a solid defensive game and has provided offence as well. Can play in the top 6 or bottom 6, wherever he is needed. Can play the powerplay and is one of our best penalty killers. For his cap hit and what he provides for us on a nightly basis, he has been the most valuable forward.

Best overall defenceman: Hamhuis. Has been pretty solid in his own end for most of the year and has quietly been puting up points as well. He is used on the powerplay and penalty kill and eats up alot of minutes each night.

An honorable mention to Tanev, but he isnt being used in all the situations that Hamhuis is. If Tanev starts playing PP time and starts to produce there offensively then he is our most valuable too. Over time as Tanev has his role increased he will continue to show just how valuable he is and could quite possibly become #1.

There is only one player who consistency goes out there night after night and plays his heart out. That player is Tanev! If the super stars on this team played 50% like Tanev we would be fighting Chicago for 1st overall not fighting for av playoff spot!

Without a doubt, Tanev. Easily. From game 1 to now, he's been the most consistent player. He's been used in a variety of roles with many different partners - and he's excelled in every situation.

Honorable mention to Henrik. The Sedins are eating really tough minutes this season relative to previous years & are still producing at PPG pace. He took a few games to get going, that's why I placed Tanev over him.

Henrik without a doubt. He's the eye of the storm. Ask yourself this: Who would we have the hardest time without this year? It's Henrik. Tanev should be this years unsung hero, but we could survive without him.

Archived