The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why did we jump in so fast for Sestito?

Bodee

There's a reason why Flyers fans were complaining they lost him to waivers, just like there were Canucks fans complaining about Volpatti. Their 4th liners, yet they're still garnering attention from fans that like them.

My take is that when Volpatti was taken, the Canucks had a spot open until they call up Pinizzotto, at which point I wouldn't be surprised if Sestito sees waivers again.

I'm not sure about using Vandermeer as a forward - I don't think he'd be as effective - Sestito's not bad.

We got him because of this...

Listen to the lyrics. We need a scrapper.

EDIT:

Crap... the video I posted didn't even have enough of it to have the verse about fighting. It went something like "We may lose a game or two, but we always win the fights"

Not sure what exactly you are hoping to pick up on waivers, but I think he was a pretty good pick up and personally if it had of been a trade Volpatti for Sestito I don't see how you don't do it. He is big and actually has a smidge of talent to boot, his 4-5 minutes a game is not the reasons we have been losing. Great pickup especially just after letting Volpatti go imo. As far as waiver junk goes I think Gillis scored.

Not sure what exactly you are hoping to pick up on waivers, but I think he was a pretty good pick up and personally if it had of been a trade Volpatti for Sestito I don't see how you don't do it. He is big and actually has a smidge of talent to boot, his 4-5 minutes a game is not the reasons we have been losing. Great pickup especially just after letting Volpatti go imo. As far as waiver junk goes I think Gillis scored.

I like what Sestito's brought to this team, he's played well in my eyes. I haven't seen any huge defensive lapses, and it looks like he's doing exactly what's expected of him. What is that? Throwing hits, the occasional fight, and not being a defensive liability.

To be fair, in both of the two Wolves games I went to this year (both with MG and LG in the house) Pinizzotto was one of the most noticeable players on the ice for the team. I even turned to my colleague at one point and said "He'll play this year."

Now, obviously he isn't going to be a major game breaker but he can be very effective in his role IMO. At that level he looked better than anything we had on our 4th line wing last year.

I didn't know we were talking about the playoffs yet. LOL. Gotta get there first. One step.....

He does have to stay healthy, true, but it doesn't seem as if his injury history is chronic but more a function of bad luck and timing. Let's see what he can do in a dozen games to see if he is worth carrying on our roster into the second season. He may not be a fit. after all but he does have the requisite speed, size and tenacity to do the job.

Even though it may not be a large amount of ice-time those 6-8 minutes for the 4th line in a game can be the difference between a regulation win and going to overtime. Granted, the team needs help at the top of the roster but the bottom has been lacking for several years.

Archived