66 replies to this topic

#1 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

I don't understand it. Surely with Vandermeer able to work the 4th line we could have waited and got someone better.
Despite the usual Gillis spin I really struggle to see his upside.
Kevin.jpg

#2 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

that's why he's an nhl gm and we're not....call it experience.

#3 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,819 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

There's a reason why Flyers fans were complaining they lost him to waivers, just like there were Canucks fans complaining about Volpatti. Their 4th liners, yet they're still garnering attention from fans that like them.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#4 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

He was available and we just lost a player.

Take what you can when you can.

I think he will work out just fine - just needs to get his legs going a bit more and adapt to the Canucks style.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#5 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

My take is that when Volpatti was taken, the Canucks had a spot open until they call up Pinizzotto, at which point I wouldn't be surprised if Sestito sees waivers again.
I'm not sure about using Vandermeer as a forward - I don't think he'd be as effective - Sestito's not bad.

#6 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,944 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

We got him because of this...

Listen to the lyrics. We need a scrapper.

EDIT:

Crap... the video I posted didn't even have enough of it to have the verse about fighting. It went something like "We may lose a game or two, but we always win the fights"

Edited by Provost, 07 March 2013 - 10:27 AM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#7 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,917 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

POPULAR

Not sure what exactly you are hoping to pick up on waivers, but I think he was a pretty good pick up and personally if it had of been a trade Volpatti for Sestito I don't see how you don't do it. He is big and actually has a smidge of talent to boot, his 4-5 minutes a game is not the reasons we have been losing. Great pickup especially just after letting Volpatti go imo. As far as waiver junk goes I think Gillis scored.
Posted Image

#8 literaphile

literaphile

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

I don't understand it. Surely with Vandermeer able to work the 4th line we could have waited and got someone better.
Despite the usual Gillis spin I really struggle to see his upside.

When a player is on waivers, you can't wait - you just put in a claim. Better to get a guy like that for nothing than to make a trade later.

#9 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,849 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

He has pushback.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#10 Captain Can

Captain Can

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

He was mistakingly thought to be a bag of chips.

In seriousness, I don't mind him. He's big and can still skate pretty well. Haven't seen anything less then what Volpatti brought.

#11 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

Not sure what exactly you are hoping to pick up on waivers, but I think he was a pretty good pick up and personally if it had of been a trade Volpatti for Sestito I don't see how you don't do it. He is big and actually has a smidge of talent to boot, his 4-5 minutes a game is not the reasons we have been losing. Great pickup especially just after letting Volpatti go imo. As far as waiver junk goes I think Gillis scored.

This. Sestito is what he is and losing Volpatti meant we needed a guy like him. Honestly Gillis lucked out a bit right after losing Volpatti that Sestito became available.

#12 Alexander.Edler

Alexander.Edler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

Vandermeers a defenceman, why wouldn't you just use Barker or something? Or has Vandermeer played forward before?

But Sestito is a better choice than Vandermeer for 4th line

Posted Image

#13 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

Why do people think Steve Pinjuryzotto is the answer to this team?

#14 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,104 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

I like what Sestito's brought to this team, he's played well in my eyes. I haven't seen any huge defensive lapses, and it looks like he's doing exactly what's expected of him. What is that? Throwing hits, the occasional fight, and not being a defensive liability.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,119 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

Why do people think Steve Pinjuryzotto is the answer to this team?

To be fair, in both of the two Wolves games I went to this year (both with MG and LG in the house) Pinizzotto was one of the most noticeable players on the ice for the team. I even turned to my colleague at one point and said "He'll play this year."

Now, obviously he isn't going to be a major game breaker but he can be very effective in his role IMO. At that level he looked better than anything we had on our 4th line wing last year.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#16 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

To be fair, in both of the two Wolves games I went to this year (both with MG and LG in the house) Pinizzotto was one of the most noticeable players on the ice for the team. I even turned to my colleague at one point and said "He'll play this year."

Now, obviously he isn't going to be a major game breaker but he can be very effective in his role IMO. At that level he looked better than anything we had on our 4th line wing last year.

But you have to stay healthy to play.....

And the 4th line gets no time in the playoffs anyway from AV.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 07 March 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#17 aliboy

aliboy

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,856 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

This. Sestito is what he is and losing Volpatti meant we needed a guy like him. Honestly Gillis lucked out a bit right after losing Volpatti that Sestito became available.

Yes. I like him much better than Volpatti. He is much more of a physical presence and threat.

#18 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 13,119 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

But you have to stay healthy to play.....

And the 4th line gets no time in the playoffs anyway from AV.

I didn't know we were talking about the playoffs yet. LOL. Gotta get there first. One step.....

He does have to stay healthy, true, but it doesn't seem as if his injury history is chronic but more a function of bad luck and timing. Let's see what he can do in a dozen games to see if he is worth carrying on our roster into the second season. He may not be a fit. after all but he does have the requisite speed, size and tenacity to do the job.

Even though it may not be a large amount of ice-time those 6-8 minutes for the 4th line in a game can be the difference between a regulation win and going to overtime. Granted, the team needs help at the top of the roster but the bottom has been lacking for several years.

#19 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

I didn't know we were talking about the playoffs yet. LOL. Gotta get there first. One step.....

He does have to stay healthy, true, but it doesn't seem as if his injury history is chronic but more a function of bad luck and timing. Let's see what he can do in a dozen games to see if he is worth carrying on our roster into the second season. He may not be a fit. after all but he does have the requisite speed, size and tenacity to do the job.

Even though it may not be a large amount of ice-time those 6-8 minutes for the 4th line in a game can be the difference between a regulation win and going to overtime. Granted, the team needs help at the top of the roster but the bottom has been lacking for several years.

My point was more that we are talking about a 28 year old player who has yet to play an NHL game. The road is littered with former great AHL role players who did not bring that at the NHL level.

It seems that CDC puts him on a pedastal as some 4th line savior when he really has yet to prove anything. No that I don't think he can I just think it is premature for CDC to expect him to be anything yet.

#20 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

And the playoffs are all that matter to me.....I have seen the disconnect between regular season success and playoff success enough times with this team.....lol

#21 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 13,119 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

My point was more that we are talking about a 28 year old player who has yet to play an NHL game. The road is littered with former great AHL role players who did not bring that at the NHL level.

It seems that CDC puts him on a pedastal as some 4th line savior when he really has yet to prove anything. No that I don't think he can I just think it is premature for CDC to expect him to be anything yet.

True enough. I can't argue with any of that. Heck, much of CDC wants to trade Kesler now and replace him with marginal talent. It's pretty apparent most don't recognize and value talent when they see it.

The 4th line saviour thing can be attributed to Canucks fan psychology IMO. Since it's almost impossible to acquire top end players, the *hope* that a depth player can easily come in and change all of our fortunes is an enticing myth. Might as well buy a lottery ticket, eh?

I'll give Pinizzotto this though, at least he went to R.I.T. and got himself a semblance of an education before trying to go pro.

Between Pinizzotto, Weise and Sestito I think we can cobble together a decent 4th line that shouldn't hurt us in the playoffs this year.

Edited by theminister, 07 March 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#22 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

Now that we have Sestito, we can trade Luongo. It's all part of the grand scheme of things.
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#23 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

You know what I like about Sestito?
He actually went after McGrattan after he was running at the Sedins. I don't care if we won or not, he actually did something about it. That's the kind of guy the Canucks need.

#24 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

He needs to hit more. I've seen him make one significant hit.

There is definitely upside to this guy.

#25 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,983 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Because apparently he's the next Eric Lindros.

:lol:
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#26 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

too bad we missed out on frazer mclaren in the beginning of the season. he would be perfect fit..

#27 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

that's why he's an nhl gm and we're not....call it experience.

Good answer. Only the media makes it sound as though Mike Gillis and other GM's around the league owe them of the fans an explanation of their business practices. Fans can't and don't think past the end of their noses. There's so much more going on then any one realizes. There are so many restraints.
We're not GM's.

#28 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

We could've very well called up Vandermeer. (However does he have to pass through waivers first? Edmonton might've scooped him up if that's the case.) In either event, getting Sestito was a knee jerk reaction to losing Volpatti. Volpatti being claimed was surprising.

And apparently we didn't want to have Kassian to start having to fight everybody.

Frankly i'd rather try Ballard at LW than dress Sestito, Vandermeer or Volpatti. But that'll never happen.
Posted Image

#29 shattenkirk8

shattenkirk8

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Because apparently he's the next Eric Lindros.

:lol:

Agreed

gallery_42012_46_1660.png

#30 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

We tried Ballard at wing. Wasn't very pretty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.